Free Solo

Jimmy638
Edited Date/Time 4/5/2019 8:30pm
Anybody catch this Documentary?
I'll leave it at Holy Shit!
|
ocscottie
3/10/2019 8:12pm
Watched parts of it, need to sit and watch it from beginning to end, dude is a madman.
Sully
3/10/2019 8:53pm Edited Date/Time 3/10/2019 8:53pm
I watched it last week and thought it was fantastic. Would love to see some of those scenes in IMAX. I wanted to choke slam his girlfriend when she started in on him before his first attempt, though. What the hell was she thinking?
3/11/2019 7:15am
Just watched it and the dude is straight up crazy. The karate kick move with no ropes thousands of feet up is severe pucker factor. Blows my mind what people can accomplish.
BMSOBx2
3/11/2019 9:21am
Absolutely stunning. One wonders where you have to be mentally knowing that one false move means certain death. The risk-reward factor is off the charts.

The Shop

TXDirt
3/11/2019 12:34pm
One of the greatest individual achievements in modern human history. Loved watching it.

I get shacky on the top of a ladder and generally don’t hang Christmas lights on our second story. I get a pit in the bottom of my stomach just thinking about what he climbed. Words don’t describe how gnar gnar that climb was. Pure insanity physically and mentally.
TG130
3/11/2019 1:27pm
Saw this a few months ago. Unbelievable what Alex Honnold has the sack to pull off. The "karate kick" part is truly death hanging by a thread. A cousin of mine was killed last year rock climbing. Not doing a free solo, but with ropes - the anchor holding the rope gave way.
Jimmy638
3/11/2019 3:08pm
Just watched it and the dude is straight up crazy. The karate kick move with no ropes thousands of feet up is severe pucker factor. Blows...
Just watched it and the dude is straight up crazy. The karate kick move with no ropes thousands of feet up is severe pucker factor. Blows my mind what people can accomplish.
Ya, "The Boulder Problem" as it's called. Watching that I was nervous as hell just sitting here, he said he never felt better and at home while ascending that day, Shows ya all the preparation he put in before the attempt.

The xfinity guide was showing this as FREE so I said heck ya I'll watch this, not knowing if he made it or not I was getting into it more and more, Glad he turned around on his first attempt not only because of his ankle but because he said he didn't feel right.

The deal where his girlfriend let the rope go threw the carriage is mind blowing, WTF was her mind at? could have died right there.

As some stated (IMO) this has to be one of the greatest individual human achievements in modern day history.
Glad it won all the awards it did because this was mind blowing, balls of steel bravery with a shit load of confidance.
early
Fantasy
2212th
3/11/2019 7:33pm
Alex is not crazy, if he was he would be dead by now. Yes, maybe the greatest human physical achievement ever.
Foghorn
3/12/2019 9:15am
Saw it in the theater. It was awesome. In another youtube on him, it describes how they measured his brain activity in response to various stimuli and how he was able to block out the fear factor. Not that you need a machine to tell you that obviously! Scary shit. He's done a lot of free solo firsts. Hope he quits now and stays with ropes.
3/15/2019 5:47pm Edited Date/Time 3/15/2019 5:49pm
Just watched it yesterday. Last week watched the other documentary on the dude climbing el cap. Finding new routes. When he said Alex h is crazy....pretty sure I agree. And I think he’s got some mental illness.

His mind is so suppressed he has to do shit like that to feel normal.
shuggs
3/16/2019 5:11am
Great watch, as others think he has ‘sonething’ wrong but maybe that’s why he is so good - able to see and analyse things others cannot
akillerwombat
3/16/2019 6:11am Edited Date/Time 3/16/2019 6:12am
Didn’t like it at all.

A third of the movie was him talking about how he was never told “I love you” despite his mom saying it to him in French all the time. The second third was about his climbing friend constantly freaking out about him climbing. And the last third was watching him and his girl, two undatable people, try to date.

By the time we got to the climbing I didn’t give a shit anymore.
XXVoid MainXX
3/16/2019 6:47am
Didn’t like it at all. A third of the movie was him talking about how he was never told “I love you” despite his mom saying...
Didn’t like it at all.

A third of the movie was him talking about how he was never told “I love you” despite his mom saying it to him in French all the time. The second third was about his climbing friend constantly freaking out about him climbing. And the last third was watching him and his girl, two undatable people, try to date.

By the time we got to the climbing I didn’t give a shit anymore.
Unfortunately that's what sells movies. If it were just the actual climbing, like a real documentary would have been, only a handful of people would go see it. They add the love story to it and all of a sudden people who aren't interested in the climbing are interested in the movie as well. Unfortunately, that sucks for the purists.

Now, I recently went to see a documentary movie that was the exact opposite. It showed exactly what happened and only what happened and didn't color anything in as far as the lives of the characters and didn't add in any modern day spin and very minimal added graphics to help understand what was taking place. That movie was Apollo 11. There were hardly any people in the IMAX theater both times I saw it, but it was the best movie I have ever seen in my life. And to be honest, I think those Apollo era astronauts had to have just as many screws loose as Alex Honnold. Any one of a million things could have gone wrong during any of those missions and it would have been the end of the line for them, very much like Alex's climb.
XXVoid MainXX
3/16/2019 7:19am
I had watched a bunch of YouTube videos of Honnold including his Ted talk prior to seeing the movie. I hadn't seen this Lance Armstrong interview of him before though:

Jimmy638
3/18/2019 7:05pm
I agree with the Apollo Mission Astronauts having as many screws loose " Apollo era astronauts had to have just as many screws loose as Alex Honnold. Any one of a million things could have gone wrong during any of those missions and it would have been the end of the line for them, very much like Alex's climb.

Where would we as Humans be is we didn't have folks with Like Our beloved Astronauts/Alex Honnold to "pave the way" to let the rest of us know it can be done. Yes, I admit I was one of those idiots on the MX track that did that "Sketchy triple" First or that long double out of a tight turn but that is nothing compared to risking it all on a hand grab "Thumb twist to other hand thumb grab to a Karate kick" that will spat your ass if you weren't thinking like you were sitting on your couch maneuver playing some BS video game.

So who has the loose screws? us "Normal living" folks that will not dare put ourselves in harm's way?...Or the Pioneers that paved the way for us tight screwed people?
Me? I'm in Awe of these people and wished like hell I could have been a Pioneer, I'm too scared
Ebs
3/19/2019 12:40am Edited Date/Time 3/19/2019 12:40am
'The Dawn Wall' is on Netflix right now and is a really good climbing watch too. Pretty crazy to stay up there living off ropes for so long.

And 'Valley Uprising' is on there as well and is a good one on the history of climbing in Yosemite.
3/19/2019 7:33pm
If anytning Alex h proves that All mental illness isn’t bad. And maybe it’s not mental illness. But there’s something seriously obtuse and/or different with that guys mind.

He even talks about it. Saying his ex girlfriend has told him he has a personality disorder.

I think what blew my mind is how he can reel it in. He radioed that he slipped on an attempt to climb and aborted. Had someone come get him from above with ropes. Said he wasn’t feeling it after that. So to me the guy has his insane ability to tap so deep into his feelings that he actually knows the outcome before he starts the climb.
davis224
Fantasy
165th
3/31/2019 8:18am
Ebs wrote:
'The Dawn Wall' is on Netflix right now and is a really good climbing watch too. Pretty crazy to stay up there living off ropes for...
'The Dawn Wall' is on Netflix right now and is a really good climbing watch too. Pretty crazy to stay up there living off ropes for so long.

And 'Valley Uprising' is on there as well and is a good one on the history of climbing in Yosemite.
I was about to say, what Honnold did was absolutely mind blowing, but I think the Dawn Wall was a way better movie. Much easier to relate to, and the story didn't feel forced like Free Solo.
Jimmy638
4/5/2019 8:29pm Edited Date/Time 4/6/2019 9:15pm
Ebs wrote:
'The Dawn Wall' is on Netflix right now and is a really good climbing watch too. Pretty crazy to stay up there living off ropes for...

davis224 wrote:
I was about to say, what Honnold did was absolutely mind blowing, but I think the Dawn Wall was a way better movie. Much easier to...
I was about to say, what Honnold did was absolutely mind blowing, but I think the Dawn Wall was a way better movie. Much easier to relate to, and the story didn't feel forced like Free Solo.
Finished watching "Dawn Wall" and like SOLO it was intense. Hoping The dude would finally get past the 15th pitch. I guess between the two DOCs I would say the Dawn wall hung on to the two dudes getting past the 15 pitch together put it ahead of SOLO in "Movie content but the Mad skills of one individual doing it without ropes (Different rout) puts SOLO ahead by leaps and bounds, just pure fkin mad skills.

Both are up there in "GOOD Documentary to Watch!
Jimmy638
4/5/2019 8:31pm
Is it me or do Chicks always get in the way in both these flicks?Silly

Post a reply to: Free Solo

The Latest