Ford to virtually stop selling cars in the US by 2022.........

Related:
Create New Tag

4/25/2018 7:50 PM

They are planning to be down to 2 "cars" by then, the Mustang and a new small crossover type called the Focus Active.

https://jalopnik.com/ford-will-phase-out-all-its-small-cars-in-north-america-1825544784

|

4/25/2018 8:51 PM

No, Ford made the announcements along with their quarterly earnings calls. It's their official position.

This will make them a "truck" company for the most part, but not sure that the Edge and the Escape actually qualify as trucks.

Haven't seen mention of whether or not this will carry over to Lincoln, but with FoMoCo selling cars everywhere else in the world it could be possible that Lincoln still sells a few sedans.

|

4/25/2018 9:00 PM

Photo

Photo

Photo
|

4/25/2018 9:42 PM

Maybe they just don't want to start making electric cars which they will have to do to compete soon.

|

4/26/2018 4:27 AM

XXVoid MainXX wrote:

Maybe they just don't want to start making electric cars which they will have to do to compete soon.

I wonder what their strategy will be for meeting EPA fuel mileage requirements? Ford and Dodge are both dangerously far behind when it comes to EV development.

|

4/26/2018 4:44 AM

Maybe if they'd make a car that was any good they would sell. When Newmann fixed my wifes Camry she was given a Ford Focus rental car, biggest piece of shit vehicle I ever drove. Seriously, it was a total rolling turd.

|

"We don't rent pigs."

4/26/2018 5:38 AM

Key word is "cars". With dramatic improvements in efficiency and safety, consumer buying trends favor the larger crossovers and trucks, which also have higher margins than sedans and smaller vehicles.

The spectrum of automobiles today looks vastly different than 10 years ago, and will continue to morph as the various styles cross-pollinate. Even the traditional pick-up truck, while largely unchanged externally, is a veritable palace internally, both under the hood and behind the wheel.

Autos that generate excitement formerly carried high MSRPs. Vehicles like the Kia Soul and Nissan Rogue brought a bit of that to the masses, while US sedans have been left behind by their Euro-Japanese competitors. Ford is simply looking at the economics and focusing their R&D in markets where they have a strong presence.

|

"You can't resist the louder pull..."

4/26/2018 6:10 AM

They a small ,extremely capable off road vehicle coming out that I'm looking forward to.

|

4/27/2018 2:07 AM

XXVoid MainXX wrote:

We already do build them. And they do not sell.

|

4/27/2018 2:08 AM

MR. X wrote:

They a small ,extremely capable off road vehicle coming out that I'm looking forward to.

And I hope we sell a lot of them. ;-)

|

4/27/2018 2:42 AM

I read this on Yahoo the other day. I think the Mustang will continue production and maybe one of the Focus models. Aside from the Focus ST, Fiesta ST and the RS, it's no great loss; the Fusion and Taurus aren't anything special. It is funny to me the craze for "crossovers" these days. Just goes to show how little the average American driver cares about the actual experience of driving.

|

4/27/2018 5:30 AM

mxdude105 wrote:

I read this on Yahoo the other day. I think the Mustang will continue production and maybe one of the Focus models. Aside from the Focus ST, Fiesta ST and the RS, it's no great loss; the Fusion and Taurus aren't anything special. It is funny to me the craze for "crossovers" these days. Just goes to show how little the average American driver cares about the actual experience of driving.

Driving is a utility for most people. Crossovers/SUVs (I hate both those terms) provide easier entrance/exit, more comfortable seating position (knees bent), better visibility, better headroom, and more functional cargo area. Sure they are worse in aerodynamics and driving Dynamics but gas is cheap and most of the time you are driving in a straight line anyway.

|

4/27/2018 5:45 AM

We’ve had 2 if the latest gen Focus models. One was good in most ways, but the dual clutch transmission sucked ass. The other is more base, and without the DCT it’s a decent little car. I’ve ridden in 2 of the latest gen Taurus and thought that they were a hugely overlooked car. Both of them were the top line models, though, so maybe the lower end ones weren’t as nice. The Limited (I think that’s the top model) was a really good riding car and very comfortable. They just didn’t flood rental fleets with them like they did with the previous generations.

|

4/27/2018 6:54 AM

I've got 50k on my ST ,it's like a street legal go cart .

|

4/27/2018 7:01 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/27/2018 7:02 AM

MR. X wrote:

50k?! w00t laughing

I'm guessing thats an ST3 at stage 3 with a Big Turbo. No? hahaha. Mines a bone stock '15 ST1. I love that car to death.

Hopefully this will keep the value up on it. I'm happy I got one while I could.

Ford temporarily stops US production on the RS after this year don't they?

|

4/27/2018 8:12 AM

MR. X wrote:

Donovan759 wrote:

50k?! w00t laughing

I'm guessing thats an ST3 at stage 3 with a Big Turbo. No? hahaha. Mines a bone stock '15 ST1. I love that car to death.

50k on the ticker ,mines also a bone stock 2015 ,except for the green filter so I can hear the turbo more.

|

4/27/2018 8:47 AM

MR. X wrote:

Donovan759 wrote:

50k?! w00t laughing

MR. X wrote:

50k on the ticker ,mines also a bone stock 2015 ,except for the green filter so I can hear the turbo more.

Oh. I read your post wrong. Stupidity on my part..

I always wanted an ST but never thought I would be able to afford it. The wife gave me the go-ahead when we needed a new car and I couldn't pass it up.

I have an 06 Danger Ranger for winter driving so hopefully i'll have the focus well into the 200k. I'm currently at 30 so I guess we'll see.

|

4/27/2018 12:10 PM

XXVoid MainXX wrote:

tcannon521 wrote:

I wonder what their strategy will be for meeting EPA fuel mileage requirements? Ford and Dodge are both dangerously far behind when it comes to EV development.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t Trump forego Obama’s “unrealistic” EPA requirements for vehicle manufactures recently? Pretty sure I saw something about that. And I also read that manufacturers will be able to introduce cooler, gas hogs too lol thanks to the law. cool

|

4/27/2018 12:39 PM

MR. X wrote:

MudPup545 wrote:

Rhymes with Pronco

|

"A link is only as long as your longest strong chain"

4/27/2018 12:51 PM

MR. X wrote:

Donovan759 wrote:

50k?! w00t laughing

Holy shit just buy a base vette for $4,000 more.

|

GP740
Since 1987

4/27/2018 12:57 PM

MR. X wrote:

MudPup545 wrote:

Stuntman949 wrote:

Rhymes with Pronco

It's not the Bronco .

|

4/27/2018 12:58 PM

MR. X wrote:

Donovan759 wrote:

50k?! w00t laughing

GeorgiePorgie wrote:

Holy shit just buy a base vette for $4,000 more.

You also misread it.

|

4/27/2018 1:38 PM

MR. X wrote:

It's not the Bronco .

It's not?! Damn.... I thought I was up on this. My source is slacking or hiding stuff really well.

|

4/27/2018 2:06 PM

Stuntman949 wrote:

Rhymes with Pronco

MR. X wrote:

It's not the Bronco .

MudPup545 wrote:

It's not?! Damn.... I thought I was up on this. My source is slacking or hiding stuff really well.

It's on their website now , the make mention of the Bronco and then something about a smaller offroad capable vehicle that doesn't have a name yet. They have a shaded picture of it with a couple exterior lights visible .

|

4/27/2018 2:08 PM

Photo
|

4/27/2018 3:07 PM

MR. X wrote: Photo

I've seen that one. I just assumed it was the Bronco. But....I see the edges are too rounded to be it. I know the Bronco is going to be more squared off.

|

4/27/2018 3:15 PM

MudPup545 wrote:

I've seen that one. I just assumed it was the Bronco. But....I see the edges are too rounded to be it. I know the Bronco is going to be more squared off.

I pray they don't jinx it and name it the Bronco II ,those things were garbage.

|

4/27/2018 3:27 PM

MudPup545 wrote:

It better be squared off or they missed the boat

|

4/27/2018 3:49 PM

MudPup545 wrote:

MR. X wrote:

I pray they don't jinx it and name it the Bronco II ,those things were garbage.

Other than the 2.9 cracking heads, and the AL4D taking a shit, what was wrong with the bronco II? Good little truck if taken care of.

|

4/27/2018 4:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/27/2018 4:08 PM

XXVoid MainXX wrote:

tcannon521 wrote:

pmshortt2 wrote:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t Trump forego Obama’s “unrealistic” EPA requirements for vehicle manufactures recently? Pretty sure I saw something about that. And I also read that manufacturers will be able to introduce cooler, gas hogs too lol thanks to the law. cool

Here is the correction you asked for:

The automakers and EPA agreed on the terms a long time ago. They soon found out ICE aren’t efficient enough to reach those requirements. Instead of investing in ways to reach the requirements they agreed to, they hoped someone like Pruitt would become head of the EPA.

Fast forward to a week ago and a federal court just ruled against the changes proposed by Pruitt and his lobbyist. Thank God for checks and balances!!

PS: if you want a cooler car, go test drive a Tesla! That’s the future!

|