Ford or Toyota

Nellie12
Edited Date/Time 9/30/2017 9:48pm
I think I'm done with diesels. I have a 2013 F250 with 138000 miles and yesterday while driving, lost almost all power and the screaming began (not me..the motor). First thought was turbocharger. Confirmed today and the cost???
F'N $5000. Just searching for a few thoughts regarding the F150 vs Tundra. Pros, cons, likes, dislikes. Any opinions on the eco motors vs the v8's would be appreciated, too.
|
Idaho747
7/31/2017 5:22pm
The eco boost f150 is an absolute animal. They tow better than you would believe. I've towed.with one a few times. Don't get me wrong. They're not going to be like a Diesel that will pull whatever you want however fast you want. But I have decided if I ever go away from a diesel that will be what I get.
TXDirt
7/31/2017 6:25pm
Tundra all day.

Here is the thing, they may not have all the flashy interiors of other trucks. But what they do have is very high quality materials and the shit just works. Any mechanical engineer will tell you the more moving parts the more shit can break.

I have a 2010 Tundra and would absolutely buy another one. And the new models look awesome!
borg
7/31/2017 6:43pm
It was basically a tossup for me. I went with the Tundra v6 because it got a little better mileage than the F150. They are both really good trucks.

A couple of guys effed with me a little about buying Japanese. At that time, 2006, the F150 was made in Canada and Mexico and the Tundra was made in Indiana. You don't know for sure anymore.

Factory Toyota parts are insane. They think that their parts come with bikini models or something. That would be one consideration if you are like me and keep a truck for a long time. I do most of my own repairs though and Toyota dealers NEVER get to touch it unless it's a recall or something.

Ford owners on here may have some guidance for you on the parts and repair issues. Other than than that, all the car companies that make trucks, make pretty good ones in actuality. Dodge has always made the ugliest trucks though.
MR. X
7/31/2017 6:46pm
I work with a bunch of guys who get new trucks every couple/few years (Ford) they all said the same thing about how much better the ecoboost tows over the v8 they used to have.

The Shop

newmann
7/31/2017 7:18pm
borg wrote:
It was basically a tossup for me. I went with the Tundra v6 because it got a little better mileage than the F150. They are both...
It was basically a tossup for me. I went with the Tundra v6 because it got a little better mileage than the F150. They are both really good trucks.

A couple of guys effed with me a little about buying Japanese. At that time, 2006, the F150 was made in Canada and Mexico and the Tundra was made in Indiana. You don't know for sure anymore.

Factory Toyota parts are insane. They think that their parts come with bikini models or something. That would be one consideration if you are like me and keep a truck for a long time. I do most of my own repairs though and Toyota dealers NEVER get to touch it unless it's a recall or something.

Ford owners on here may have some guidance for you on the parts and repair issues. Other than than that, all the car companies that make trucks, make pretty good ones in actuality. Dodge has always made the ugliest trucks though.
You haven't priced For truck parts lately.

After looking at new trucks, I decided to keep my 2001 7.3 F250. It has 225,000 miles on it but has always been maintained and gotten everything it ever needed and then some. I had considered the new aluminum F250 but to get the couple of options I really wanted I had to get an absolute shit ton of options I didn't want. That pretty much took me out of the 3/4 ton market. Looking at the 1/2 tons I gave the ugly Nissan Titan a look and a drive with the new diesel. It felt weak, it looked a bit confused and ugly and although it was pretty nicely appointed it just really didn't do anything for me. Off to the gasoline powered 1/2 tons, I decided since I was settling for something in this group it better be pretty nice and a hell of a lot of fun. Came down to the Raptor or TuRD PRO Tundra. Raptors were hard to get last December and overpriced out the ass. Local dealer still has a $10,000.00 add over list. I went with the Tundra. Runs good, looks good and handles good. The TRD exhaust note sounds great. Best thing about it...it's a basic and simple layout like a truck should be. Bad things? For such a spacious cab (Crew Max) there is next to no storage space in it. No rear underseat storage compartments whatsoever and the rear seat does not fold forward to put anything behind it. The rear seats do lift up 60/40 style so yo do have room for a passenger and stuff, but they could have done better...a lot better. The bed...it's small. Brought home a vintage racing go kart today and I barely had room to close the tailgate with a towel between the front and rear. I guess not having to tie it down was a plus??? Headlights? No LED or Xenon option in 2017 sucks a big fat donkey d%*#. They could have put a better looking off road tire on it. I'm about to, but it handles so damn good with the stock Michelins....
JAFO92
7/31/2017 7:19pm
borg wrote:
It was basically a tossup for me. I went with the Tundra v6 because it got a little better mileage than the F150. They are both...

My ugly truck has to work for its keep.

newmann
7/31/2017 7:29pm
^^^^^Bobby speaks the truth. I got t poke my head up and under that truck right there and that fugger is built to work. Other than the ugly ass RAM emblems they put on SOME of the tailgates, they aren't ugly anymore either.

rpoint116
7/31/2017 8:13pm
I've had 3 Tacoma's & love them.

I looked at 1/2 Tons 3 years ago. Looked at all of them. I would go for the Tundra. I liked the double cab w/ the auto rear window. The Ford & Chevy's were nice & had a couple of xtra bells & whistles but not needed. The only thing I would be disappointed in would be the gas mileage.

I have lot's of friends who have Ford's, Dodges, & Chevys. No lie... after 75K miles most of them have serious, weird BS issues, not with Tundra.

You can usually get good deals on Tundras. Tacomas are their biggest seller & they need to move Tundras.

Nellie12
7/31/2017 8:47pm
I probably should have kept my mouth shut. For the past year I have said to a few people, "this is the best truck I have ever owned...never had a problem". Jinxed myself, again. I started buying foreign (Jap and Germs) back in the late 80's. The quality difference used to be significant. I bought an 09' F250 and it changed my mind....even though it was supposed to have significant issues with the motor. Bought the 13 because I was so happy with the 09. Now, after sipping on a TX whiskey and thinking about this situation, I'm a little pissed that ONE freakin part on this hunk of junk is going to cost me approx 10 percent of what I paid for this vehicle. Oh well...thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to go test drive a Tundra, tomorrow.
Sidenote: I owned a Titan in their 2nd or 3rd year of production. My friends laughed at me.....not one problem, ever. Great truck....strong motor and great ride. I'd look at them again, but not much of a fan of the new body style.
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
7/31/2017 11:34pm Edited Date/Time 8/1/2017 11:01am
Toyota over F-150 if it was me. My 2000 Tundra about 6,500 miles ago. By far the most trouble free vehicle I ever owned, car, truck or motorcycle.

71Fish
8/1/2017 4:24am
newmann wrote:
^^^^^Bobby speaks the truth. I got t poke my head up and under that truck right there and that fugger is built to work. Other than...
^^^^^Bobby speaks the truth. I got t poke my head up and under that truck right there and that fugger is built to work. Other than the ugly ass RAM emblems they put on SOME of the tailgates, they aren't ugly anymore either.

That's a lot better than the ugly RAM they put on the grill of some models. I prefer the crosshair grill.
JAFO92
8/1/2017 4:53am
71Fish wrote:
That's a lot better than the ugly RAM they put on the grill of some models. I prefer the crosshair grill.
Youre sure right, whether the front or back, that emblem is a ugly AF and the RAM designers are on crack. But with that said, I personally think the Fords look ridiculous too and Chevy IMHO has for the past 10 years. (and I used to be a Silverado fan and owned many Chevy trucks from the late 70s thru the 90s.)

The way I see it, all the OEMs make a good product for the most part nowadays and they all have their own respective bugs and occassional turd. You can go into the forums for Dodge, Ford, Chevy or Toyota and find thread after thread of people bitching about some flaw or problem at any given time. So pick what flavor you prefer and go buy it, I love my Mopar and I dont care what anyone else thinks, I bought it to work, not to get approval from Vitards. Wink
IWreckALot
8/1/2017 5:45am
I'm on my second Toyota Tundra. IMO the base model toyota comes with more options than the base line any other brand. And then you go up from there.
BMR179
Fantasy
1263rd
8/1/2017 6:44am
I have had no problems from my 2013 Ecoboost. Pulls a 14' loaded cargo trailer real good, but the fuel mileage drops from 17 to 10. The King Ranch amenities are super nice also. My .02 cents.
JAFO92
8/1/2017 8:23am
Toyota all day long, and you'll know why when you go to sell it.
rpoint116 wrote:
Good point.
Yep, very true. I sold my '04 Tacoma with 100+ miles for over 10K. Truck ran great and never had an issue excepting the gas mileage was the same as a full size V8 (actually worse than a V8) and wont tow for shit. You couldnt pull a dead hen off a nest with them things.

JRT812
8/1/2017 8:29am
The eco is pretty nice, but I haven't made up my mind if like the aluminum body or not. Pretty much every Ford truck (and the one silverado) I've owned have been solid workers, but always had small minor issues happen early on. With that being said, my wife's 4runner hasn't missed a lick. No mechanical or interior issues since new. Coming from a guy whose daily driver is a 78 F150... I would purchase the Tundra
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
8/1/2017 9:51am
I just got a 2017 Ram that is awesome, it's my 3rd Ram 1500. Only other truck I was considering was an F150 out of all the others.
If you tow a LOT, then you might be better off with a NA V8 rather than the ecoboost as they get extra thirsty as mentioned above.
8/1/2017 10:10am
rpoint116 wrote:
Good point.
JAFO92 wrote:
Yep, very true. I sold my '04 Tacoma with 100+ miles for over 10K. Truck ran great and never had an issue excepting the gas mileage...
Yep, very true. I sold my '04 Tacoma with 100+ miles for over 10K. Truck ran great and never had an issue excepting the gas mileage was the same as a full size V8 (actually worse than a V8) and wont tow for shit. You couldnt pull a dead hen off a nest with them things.

I sold my 02 in 2012 for $6500 in January of 2015. No cruise control and a bit of a paint fade after 12 years in the Florida sun. It was the 4-banger and it couldn't pull either. But I didn't buy it for that. Now my 15 Tacoma pulls my 5000 pound camper just fine, but man does it suck gas when pulling. I think the fuel line to the engine turns into an F-18 main fuel line when I'm towing.

When I put my 02 on Craigslist - despite its faded paint, 4-cylinder, and no cruise control - I had guys calling me left and right. I just kept saying, "First guy shows up with the most cash gets it."

Nice bike and truck, Bobby!
OldPro277
8/1/2017 10:15am
Another Toyota vote here. Been in the car biz for 35+ years and wont own anything else. (and oddly enough never worked at or owned a Toyota store,lol) Just last week had a customer basically force me to sell them my personal Tacoma crew . He had been looking for a nice used one and went to buy 3 different ones and they all got sold before he got there. He saw mine sitting in the garage here at the store and convinced me to sell it. 2011 TRD Sport crew with 106k and got $24,000 out of it. It did have a small 3" lift and some XD wheels with Nitto G2's.
My issue was that even in the biz, I havent been able to find a good replacement.Looking for a loaded '16 or '17 to get the new engine and body style but couldnt find anything under $37,000!!! Called my friend who owns a local Toyota store and he invoiced me a new 17 crew,trd sport, Nav,JBL, roof and heated seats,blah blah blah at 38,000. Even threw in a TRD Pro grille. Just a story to show the unbelievable resale values of Tacomas.

My son in law and daughter have a Tundra with the 5.7 and haul a 37' Toyhauler/camper with 4 bikes and gear and it pulls it like its not there. Also, my 11 Tacoma had the 4.0 and hauled my 14' trailer with 5 bikes (approx 4,000 lbs)to Mid Ohio (3 hours) a couple weeks back with no issues. Only got 10.2 mpg but what the hell !!
peelout
8/1/2017 10:21am
Idaho747 wrote:
The eco boost f150 is an absolute animal. They tow better than you would believe. I've towed.with one a few times. Don't get me wrong. They're...
The eco boost f150 is an absolute animal. They tow better than you would believe. I've towed.with one a few times. Don't get me wrong. They're not going to be like a Diesel that will pull whatever you want however fast you want. But I have decided if I ever go away from a diesel that will be what I get.
my F150 ecoboost is just what you said, an animal when towing. i love it, thinking about trading it in for the new aluminum body. everyone i've talked to said it's a night and day difference over the steel (mine is a 2012)

i wouldn't buy a toyota full-size regardless of the deal. not a fan of them at all.
MudPup545
8/1/2017 10:28am
Ford. My profit sharing check says "thank you" in advance.
TG130
8/1/2017 1:09pm
Toyota gets my vote. I've owned both and the Toyota definitely gets the nod mainly due to reliability and someone earlier mentioned resale value. My last truck was an F150, which I still have as my thrasher truck, and by far it gave me more mechanical problems than any other that I've owned. Performance was probably up to par with the Toyota, but all the mechanical issues do the Ford in.
Nellie12
8/1/2017 1:22pm
rpoint116 wrote:
Good point.
JAFO92 wrote:
Yep, very true. I sold my '04 Tacoma with 100+ miles for over 10K. Truck ran great and never had an issue excepting the gas mileage...

I miss that track....Smile RB, right?
JAFO92
8/1/2017 1:30pm
Nellie12 wrote:
I miss that track....Smile RB, right?
Yes indeed ! My home track since '77 Smile
Nellie12
8/1/2017 1:33pm
I drove a Tundra, today. Nice truck...nothing to complain about. I'll get my f250 back at the end of the week or first of next week. Not sure what I'm going to do. After sinking the 5k into it, I might just keep it. Thanks for all the replies. If I do trade/sell it, I would probably buy the Tundra. After this issue, I don't think I'd be as enthused about buying the F150 ecoboost > translation....another turbo just waiting to cost a butt load of money.
Wildeye511
8/1/2017 6:44pm
I am in the same dilemma, I have a 09 Tacoma,and the wife wants a horse trailer. we are leaning towards a ram 2500 diesel. Prices on those are better than the F250's anybody got any opinions on that????

not trying to steal your thread, figured no reason to start a new one
Wildeye511
8/1/2017 6:48pm Edited Date/Time 8/1/2017 6:48pm

I was trying to add this photo to my last post... oops

Post a reply to: Ford or Toyota

The Latest