Ford Flex Fuel Truck

Related:
Create New Tag

9/3/2016 5:54 PM

So I have a Ford Truck with the "flex fuel" logo.
Anybody know if I can just add say 5 gallons ethanol to 15 gallons gas when I fill up?
I think regular gas is approx 10% ethanol and Flex Fuel vehicles are supposed
to be able to run E85 which is 85% ethanol and any ratio between.
TM

|

www.alljackedupinc.com home of the Switch Hauler, the only modular hauling system www.sprocketstuff.com home of the Counter Sprocket Tool

9/3/2016 6:07 PM

Ive had a flex fuel before. But, at the time, there just weren't many statiions that had ethanol so mine got regular. Its a good question. My first instinct would say yes you could do that. Why not just run E85?

|

much ty. How to spot a paid forum poster/artificial forum traffic producer (see list of actions/phrases below):

Copius pattern amounts of phrases like “Anyone have”..., “Anybody know?”.... and their variations.

Thoughts?
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

9/3/2016 6:14 PM

kzizok wrote:

Ive had a flex fuel before. But, at the time, there just weren't many statiions that had ethanol so mine got regular. Its a good question. My first instinct would say yes you could do that. Why not just run E85?

Because I just found out that a friend might be willing to give me 8-10 gal a week for free.
TM

|

www.alljackedupinc.com home of the Switch Hauler, the only modular hauling system www.sprocketstuff.com home of the Counter Sprocket Tool

9/3/2016 6:42 PM

Sure, just know you'll get lower gas mileage on it. This ethanol was made for fuel right?

|

9/3/2016 6:50 PM

colintrax wrote:

Sure, just know you'll get lower gas mileage on it. This ethanol was made for fuel right?

Of course wink

|

9/3/2016 7:03 PM

ToolMaker wrote:

Of course wink

I know you'd never touch moonshine or any of that, but uhhh if you run across it. I wouldn't suggest you run that in your truck.

|

9/3/2016 7:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/3/2016 7:14 PM

kzizok wrote:

ToolMaker wrote:

Because I just found out that a friend might be willing to give me 8-10 gal a week for free.
TM

Now that, is a good reason. With a ratio of 15 parts regular gas to five parts ethanol (3:1) the ethanol would be pretty diluted, thus reducing itts desired effectiveness. May not even be worth your time.

|

much ty. How to spot a paid forum poster/artificial forum traffic producer (see list of actions/phrases below):

Copius pattern amounts of phrases like “Anyone have”..., “Anybody know?”.... and their variations.

Thoughts?
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

9/3/2016 8:07 PM

colintrax wrote:

I know you'd never touch moonshine or any of that, but uhhh if you run across it. I wouldn't suggest you run that in your truck.

For conversation purposes, what's the difference where it came from? I was doing some reading and the reason they use the corn ethanol is that it's cheap. I was reading on several web sites today so I don't know which one, Popular Mechanics I think, they were saying sugar based ethanol was better for the engine and caused less damage but
the taxes to bring in the sugar was cost prohibitive. The article was actually about E10 and E15 being run in older
engines 2002-2012ish.
TM

|

9/3/2016 9:20 PM

ToolMaker wrote:

For conversation purposes, what's the difference where it came from? I was doing some reading and the reason they use the corn ethanol is that it's cheap. I was reading on several web sites today so I don't know which one, Popular Mechanics I think, they were saying sugar based ethanol was better for the engine and caused less damage but
the taxes to bring in the sugar was cost prohibitive. The article was actually about E10 and E15 being run in older
engines 2002-2012ish.
TM

I would assume poring straight alcohol in the gas tank will dilute the additives, not to mention stuff made down by the creek probably isn't as trash and water free as you'd like. Mostly water free. But I've heard stories of people cutting shine with other shit. Personally don't drink it, and wouldnt use it in a car either.

|

9/4/2016 2:39 AM

colintrax wrote:

ToolMaker wrote:

engines 2002-2012ish.
TM

colintrax wrote:

I would assume poring straight alcohol in the gas tank will dilute the additives, not to mention stuff made down by the creek probably isn't as trash and water free as you'd like. Mostly water free. But I've heard stories of people cutting shine with other shit. Personally don't drink it, and wouldnt use it in a car either.

Yeah,if you don't know the person well i would never drink a unknown shine.

The free ethanol would be fine, just takes twice as much to do the same work as gas.

Your filter will catch the water,I'd get one and keep in the vehicle and the line release tools if it takes one.jjjh

|

9/4/2016 5:22 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/4/2016 5:24 AM

Moonshine is mentioned and it took Hibbly 3 posts to show up. You're slipping Hibbly... wink

|

9/4/2016 7:56 AM

colintrax wrote:

ToolMaker wrote:

engines 2002-2012ish.
TM

colintrax wrote:

While it makes for fun conversation, it actually does not come from a
moonshiner. Out of a factory operation that they end up with more than
what they need. Having too little would be problematic so they always
have an abundance.
TM

|

9/4/2016 9:29 AM

Isn't ethanol hygroscopic? As in it absorbs water out of the air?

I don't think I'd want to use it in a vehicle that was going to sit with gas in the tank for any length of time because of that.

|

[LINK TO IMAGE]

Empty a bag of skittles into the toilet and then flush. It's like watching a five second long nascar race.

9/4/2016 2:59 PM

What's the benefit of e85?

|

9/4/2016 3:11 PM

ToolMaker wrote:

While it makes for fun conversation, it actually does not come from a
moonshiner. Out of a factory operation that they end up with more than
what they need. Having too little would be problematic so they always
have an abundance.
TM

Ok, in that case I think it'd be fine. Just know you'll still be diluting the additives in the gas tank

|

9/4/2016 3:13 PM

Flatliner wrote:

It's cheap, at least if you have a gas vehicle. Makes diesel unacceptably expensive.
I believe ethanol burns a little cleaner to.
Oh, and drag racers like e85. Gotta be built for it though

|

9/4/2016 3:32 PM

Flatliner wrote:

Supposed to be cheaper.

|

Thoughts?
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

9/4/2016 3:49 PM

Flatliner wrote:

kzizok wrote:

Supposed to be cheaper.

Can confirm, cheaper. So far OK.
TM

|

9/5/2016 10:07 AM

It will clean your injectors. Other than that, no advantage unless you have a cheap source.

Ita good for high compression, blown and turbo applications.

Mileage is shit and negates most cost savings.

|