For you DIY'ers, Concrete countertops made easy

Jimmy638
Came across this vid while surfing YT, Been in Construction for about 40 years now and Concrete countertops became the "New" wave in the late 90's so we've done a few since. This guy made it easy enough so that the Homeowner can do it with ease.

Check out his other vids aswell, good stuff.
|
71Fish
3/1/2019 4:47pm
That's great. Added to watch again later for a different project this summer.
borg
3/1/2019 5:45pm
Dude is a bit annoying and his music is shit but I like what he did. Not sure how it will look with no aggregate but he added tile grout for pazazz. For a kitchen counter I would not chip the edge like that. I wonder if wax fillets would work to get the round over or bullnose edge. Put them right into the mold. Foundry pattern supply would have that. Seems like it would chip easy.
plowboy
3/1/2019 7:10pm
As much as I'd love granite or even this concrete look...my counter tops are where I chop, cut, gut, grind, and all manner of abusive things. Formica may be dated but good Lord...it takes a beating. I think 3" butcher block is the only thing that will hold up at my place. I dig the concrete for coffee table or picnic table idea though.
crowe176
3/2/2019 6:20am
plowboy wrote:
As much as I'd love granite or even this concrete look...my counter tops are where I chop, cut, gut, grind, and all manner of abusive things...
As much as I'd love granite or even this concrete look...my counter tops are where I chop, cut, gut, grind, and all manner of abusive things. Formica may be dated but good Lord...it takes a beating. I think 3" butcher block is the only thing that will hold up at my place. I dig the concrete for coffee table or picnic table idea though.
Yep, just redid our kitchen. Took old formica out to garage, and replaced with butcher block. You have no idea how hard I had to fight to convince my wife that Butcher block was the way to go. After many arguments, I eventually had to pull the "I cook, my kitchen, you can have the rest of the house". We have a galley style kitchen, so half is solid surface, which looks surprisingly nice, and half butcher block..

The cement thing looks nice, but I think that's above my pay grade.

The Shop

reded
3/2/2019 2:42pm
plowboy wrote:
As much as I'd love granite or even this concrete look...my counter tops are where I chop, cut, gut, grind, and all manner of abusive things...
crowe176 wrote:
Yep, just redid our kitchen. Took old formica out to garage, and replaced with butcher block. You have no idea how hard I had to fight...
Yep, just redid our kitchen. Took old formica out to garage, and replaced with butcher block. You have no idea how hard I had to fight to convince my wife that Butcher block was the way to go. After many arguments, I eventually had to pull the "I cook, my kitchen, you can have the rest of the house". We have a galley style kitchen, so half is solid surface, which looks surprisingly nice, and half butcher block..

We have a solid surface farm style kitchen sink. While it’s problem free for the most part, it still has a habit of staining and I wish we’d gone cast iron. How well does it perform as a countertop?
crowe176
3/2/2019 7:35pm
One of my kids set a hot pan down it a couple weeks after install and it left a noticeable (to me) burn/melt mark.. Other than that, less than a year it's held up good, No stains yet. It looks like it's going to scratch pretty easy though. It's a white/gray granite looking finish, so the blemishes aren't as noticeable it could be.

I have two teenagers and a 7yo, so I'm sure it'll be roached in a few years, and I'll just end up replacing it all with butcher block from lumber liquidators haha.
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
3/3/2019 9:26am
Pretty cool project and nice AMA Superbike hat.
plowboy
3/3/2019 9:59am
plowboy wrote:
crowe176 wrote:
Yep, just redid our kitchen. Took old formica out to garage, and replaced with butcher block. You have no idea how hard I had to fight...

reded wrote:
We have a solid surface farm style kitchen sink. While it’s problem free for the most part, it still has a habit of staining and I...
We have a solid surface farm style kitchen sink. While it’s problem free for the most part, it still has a habit of staining and I wish we’d gone cast iron. How well does it perform as a countertop?
I'm not sure what a "solid surface farm style" sink is? Sink mounted "under" the countertop instead of drop-in? And it "stains" so it's porcelain/enamel..."white"?

I really dig the idea of an under mounted sink...makes wiping all the liquid and gorp straight into the sink without getting caught on the lip of a drop in. BUT, I would never have anything but a deep stainless double sink. I'm a sloppy messy crazy fool in the kitchen. If you drop a plate or glass in an enamel sink most of the time they break. Stainless is far more forgiving. A green scratchy pad makes it look like new. My kitchen has to be tough cause I'm like a mad scientist in there.
SEEMEFIRST
3/3/2019 11:47am
crowe176 wrote:

reded wrote:
We have a solid surface farm style kitchen sink. While it’s problem free for the most part, it still has a habit of staining and I...
plowboy wrote:
I'm not sure what a "solid surface farm style" sink is? Sink mounted "under" the countertop instead of drop-in? And it "stains" so it's porcelain/enamel..."white"? I...
I'm not sure what a "solid surface farm style" sink is? Sink mounted "under" the countertop instead of drop-in? And it "stains" so it's porcelain/enamel..."white"?

I really dig the idea of an under mounted sink...makes wiping all the liquid and gorp straight into the sink without getting caught on the lip of a drop in. BUT, I would never have anything but a deep stainless double sink. I'm a sloppy messy crazy fool in the kitchen. If you drop a plate or glass in an enamel sink most of the time they break. Stainless is far more forgiving. A green scratchy pad makes it look like new. My kitchen has to be tough cause I'm like a mad scientist in there.
It's acrylic made to look like granite or other stone.
You can undermount any type of sink in it.
borg
3/3/2019 12:57pm Edited Date/Time 3/3/2019 12:59pm
crowe176 wrote:

reded wrote:
plowboy wrote:
I'm not sure what a "solid surface farm style" sink is? Sink mounted "under" the countertop instead of drop-in? And it "stains" so it's porcelain/enamel..."white"? I...

Stainless for me too. I have the dropsies. Most women don't like SS. Especially if they have been in jail.
plowboy
3/3/2019 1:46pm
reded wrote:
plowboy wrote:

borg wrote:
Stainless for me too. I have the dropsies. Most women don't like SS. Especially if they have been in jail.
Woohoo my gals haven't been in jail so they don't have any ss prejudices.
3/5/2019 9:22am
plowboy wrote:
crowe176 wrote:

reded wrote:
have you tried pumice stone and mr clean pads?

Post a reply to: For you DIY'ers, Concrete countertops made easy

The Latest