For the Aplman

TXDirt
Edited Date/Time 5/25/2020 3:26pm
|
APLMAN99
4/25/2020 4:08pm
Thanks TX. I saw this on another source a week or so ago and thought that it was pretty cool.

A lot of people don’t understand how apple trees are propagated so it seems strange that they could go extinct, but apple trees are actually cloned, not “grown from seeds”. In theory, every tree of a given variety is the exact same tree.

The varieties that this group finds will probably never be grown for commercial sales ever again, but they might be used for cross breeding to try to develop new varieties. And it would be kind of cool to try them to find out why they were selected to grow in the first place!
TXDirt
4/25/2020 4:16pm
Our kids enjoy the Honey Crisp variety. We got some organic ones from the store a month or two ago and they were the biggest apples I’ve ever seen. They were monsters.

The designer fruit they are putting out is interesting. I dunno how they do it but we can get cotton candy grapes. And also Sunkist cantaloupe. And the cantaloupe is so tasty and juicy.
APLMAN99
4/25/2020 4:27pm
TXDirt wrote:
Our kids enjoy the Honey Crisp variety. We got some organic ones from the store a month or two ago and they were the biggest apples...
Our kids enjoy the Honey Crisp variety. We got some organic ones from the store a month or two ago and they were the biggest apples I’ve ever seen. They were monsters.

The designer fruit they are putting out is interesting. I dunno how they do it but we can get cotton candy grapes. And also Sunkist cantaloupe. And the cantaloupe is so tasty and juicy.
If you like Honeycrisp, you’ll probably really like the new Cosmic Crisp that just became available this year. It’s a cross between the Honeycrisp and the Enterprise cultivars. The Honeycrisp has been a great selling apple, but the Enterprise was never a major player. It did have some good disease resistance qualities, though, and was much easier to grow than Honeycrisp.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_Crisp
KMC440
4/25/2020 4:50pm
Golden delicious or death. MHO Wink 👍

The Shop

jeffro503
4/25/2020 4:57pm
APL......my favorite is #4131 , or maybe it was #4030 , the pink crisp apples. Are they kinda close to what TX or what you mentioned?
APLMAN99
4/25/2020 5:08pm
jeffro503 wrote:
APL......my favorite is #4131 , or maybe it was #4030 , the pink crisp apples. Are they kinda close to what TX or what you mentioned?
Not sure what the number means. Are you talking about the sticker that they put on the apple? Those are just PLU numbers for the stores to be able to identify them and charge the correct price. I think you might be talking about the Pink Lady/Cripps Pink. Those are definitely my favorite tart apples. They are pretty late harvesting, though, so it’s hard to grow them in some locations.

There are a couple new Pink Lady variants that mature earlier, though, and the ones that I’ve tried still have that good tart taste of the “original”!
JeremyK
4/25/2020 6:02pm
We always get honey crisp
jeffro503
4/25/2020 6:24pm
jeffro503 wrote:
APLMAN99 wrote:
Not sure what the number means. Are you talking about the sticker that they put on the apple? Those are just PLU numbers for the stores...
Not sure what the number means. Are you talking about the sticker that they put on the apple? Those are just PLU numbers for the stores to be able to identify them and charge the correct price. I think you might be talking about the Pink Lady/Cripps Pink. Those are definitely my favorite tart apples. They are pretty late harvesting, though, so it’s hard to grow them in some locations.

There are a couple new Pink Lady variants that mature earlier, though, and the ones that I’ve tried still have that good tart taste of the “original”!
Yeah APL I think that's the ones. I went through a test phase a couple years ago and tested like 15+ apples to see which one I liked best. The number #4030 is on the apple , weather I get it from Freddy's or Safeway. Probably have the same distributor I bet? Anyways , by far my favorite!

SKIDLID
Fantasy
805th
4/25/2020 6:27pm Edited Date/Time 4/25/2020 6:28pm
jeffro503 wrote:
I eat a crips pink lady almost every day at 10am!
avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
4/25/2020 6:29pm
As APL knows, I am a honeycrisp person through and through. Smile
Rawly
4/25/2020 6:30pm
Any sketchy ladder set ups of Alpman picking apples ? Your insane ladder pics really made me laugh a few weeks back. That was funny as hell. I bet a few of those guys will eventually win Darwin awards if they haven’t already done so.
APLMAN99
4/25/2020 6:53pm
Rawly wrote:
Any sketchy ladder set ups of Alpman picking apples ? Your insane ladder pics really made me laugh a few weeks back. That was funny as...
Any sketchy ladder set ups of Alpman picking apples ? Your insane ladder pics really made me laugh a few weeks back. That was funny as hell. I bet a few of those guys will eventually win Darwin awards if they haven’t already done so.
Not of me, but when I was a kid my dad would pick cherries at some of the neighboring orchards on weekends. This was long before the idea of trying to grow cherry trees in dwarfing system was all that widespread. The trees were monstrous and instead of a standard ladder, they used these huge things called “cherry spikes” which were basically a tongueless ladder with a rope tied to the top that you would throw up over the highest branch you could find then tie it to a lower branch.

Scary shit!!!!

These aren’t actual pictures from back then, but close enough to get the point. Now most newly planted orchards can be picked using no more than a 10 foot ladder.

4/25/2020 8:27pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
Thanks TX. I saw this on another source a week or so ago and thought that it was pretty cool. A lot of people don’t understand...
Thanks TX. I saw this on another source a week or so ago and thought that it was pretty cool.

A lot of people don’t understand how apple trees are propagated so it seems strange that they could go extinct, but apple trees are actually cloned, not “grown from seeds”. In theory, every tree of a given variety is the exact same tree.

The varieties that this group finds will probably never be grown for commercial sales ever again, but they might be used for cross breeding to try to develop new varieties. And it would be kind of cool to try them to find out why they were selected to grow in the first place!
You in the business of growing and sellin apples??
APLMAN99
4/26/2020 7:49am
APLMAN99 wrote:
Thanks TX. I saw this on another source a week or so ago and thought that it was pretty cool. A lot of people don’t understand...

You in the business of growing and sellin apples??
I've read some books and some articles on the interwebs about it......

😎
just James
4/26/2020 8:12am
Classic Red Delicious is the only apple that I really care for, and they have to be perfectly crisp. The little woman says that I am the pickiest apple eater on the planet.
I guess the climate is not quite right for growing them here in southern Oregon, as they are usually just knobby little suckers that never really completely turn red.
APLMAN99
4/26/2020 8:13am
jeffro503 wrote:
Yeah APL I think that's the ones. I went through a test phase a couple years ago and tested like 15+ apples to see which one...
Yeah APL I think that's the ones. I went through a test phase a couple years ago and tested like 15+ apples to see which one I liked best. The number #4030 is on the apple , weather I get it from Freddy's or Safeway. Probably have the same distributor I bet? Anyways , by far my favorite!

Yeah the PLU code should be the same everywhere, at least in the US. They're so that cashiers can ring the proper item, as the pricing can vary quite a bit between varieties and some folks can't quickly tell the difference between a Gala, Fuji, Pink Lady, etc. They also help track spoilage, as most major retailers don't accurately track the produce that they cull from their displays every day. So if you purchase 10 40lb. boxes of Pink Lady apples, ring 300 pounds through the register of Pink Lady apples, and still have 50 pounds on hand, you had 50 pounds of cullage/shrink.

Cosmic Crisp is the first variety that I can think of that people have used it's development number to identify it even a little bit. In its breeding program its identifying number was WA-38, and it wasn't renamed for commercial purposes until much later. It only took 22 years from the time the first seeds were planted until the first apple was sold!

Another interesting number for apples is the size that you see on the outside of the box. The lower the number, the bigger the apple. Most of the big Honeycrisp are sizes 48, 56, and 64. Those numbers represent the number of that size apple it takes to fill a 40lb box. Most Pink Ladies are probably sizes 100, 113, and 125, so by weight they are probably half as big as the most common Honeycrisp sold. But realistically most varieties are packed in sizes all across the size range.
APLMAN99
4/26/2020 8:23am
just James wrote:
Classic Red Delicious is the only apple that I really care for, and they have to be perfectly crisp. The little woman says that I am...
Classic Red Delicious is the only apple that I really care for, and they have to be perfectly crisp. The little woman says that I am the pickiest apple eater on the planet.
I guess the climate is not quite right for growing them here in southern Oregon, as they are usually just knobby little suckers that never really completely turn red.
The "modern" Red Delicious was ruined quite a while ago. Selecting scion wood based on red color of the fruit was the primary concern, and taste was ignored which led to planting newer trees with regard to almost nothing but color.

But the sad truth is that red color has nothing really to do with apple quality, taste, etc. It is just the biggest thing that shoppers react to.

If you like Red Delicious, I'd suggest buying some Cameo apples if you can find them. They initially found it in a local orchard as a chance seedling, and think it's a cross between a Red and Golden Delicious. It sort of has the best qualities of both. Just don't look for the reddest one, but rather look for a slightly lighter green or straw background color (between the red stripes) rather than one that has turned fully orange.

They're definitely one of my favorites. Try more than one, though, because as with any apple there is no guarantee that you didn't get a rare "clunker".
TXDirt
4/26/2020 8:28am
What are the most tart apples available at stores? I prefer something more tart then sweet.
jjavaman
Fantasy
3765th
4/26/2020 8:35am
TXDirt wrote:
What are the most tart apples available at stores? I prefer something more tart then sweet.
Granny Smith.
APLMAN99
4/26/2020 10:25am
TXDirt wrote:
Granny Smith is tart, but terrible when it comes to any sort of balance. They are great for cooking, though.

I think that the best tasting tart apple for just eating is definitely the Cripps Pink/Pink Lady. They might be called either name but the same thing. I like them better after they’ve been stored for awhile, though, so if you have one from the fresh crop in October/November, it might not be quite the same as if you get one in April/May.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
5/21/2020 10:02pm
just James wrote:
Classic Red Delicious is the only apple that I really care for, and they have to be perfectly crisp. The little woman says that I am...
APLMAN99 wrote:
The "modern" Red Delicious was ruined quite a while ago. Selecting scion wood based on red color of the fruit was the primary concern, and taste...
The "modern" Red Delicious was ruined quite a while ago. Selecting scion wood based on red color of the fruit was the primary concern, and taste was ignored which led to planting newer trees with regard to almost nothing but color.

But the sad truth is that red color has nothing really to do with apple quality, taste, etc. It is just the biggest thing that shoppers react to.

If you like Red Delicious, I'd suggest buying some Cameo apples if you can find them. They initially found it in a local orchard as a chance seedling, and think it's a cross between a Red and Golden Delicious. It sort of has the best qualities of both. Just don't look for the reddest one, but rather look for a slightly lighter green or straw background color (between the red stripes) rather than one that has turned fully orange.

They're definitely one of my favorites. Try more than one, though, because as with any apple there is no guarantee that you didn't get a rare "clunker".
So can I buy or plant something like a Cameo apple tree in the CA central valley and have it grow properly, or is this area too hot for apples? We're going to redo the back yard, and I figure if I'm paying to water a bunch of plants, I'd rather get something edible from them too.

We currently have a PearApple tree, a dwarf Mandrin and dwarf Apricot. I'd like an apple and a Avocado too.
APLMAN99
5/22/2020 3:54am
So can I buy or plant something like a Cameo apple tree in the CA central valley and have it grow properly, or is this area...
So can I buy or plant something like a Cameo apple tree in the CA central valley and have it grow properly, or is this area too hot for apples? We're going to redo the back yard, and I figure if I'm paying to water a bunch of plants, I'd rather get something edible from them too.

We currently have a PearApple tree, a dwarf Mandrin and dwarf Apricot. I'd like an apple and a Avocado too.
You should be able to grow it, some years it may not grow as well if it doesn’t get cold enough in the winter though.

The biggest issue might be pollination. I can’t remember if Cameo is self pollinating or not, but most apples aren’t. So if you decide to plant an apple tree, it’d be a good idea to plant a second apple variety close to it for pollination. Or you can order one of those trees from a nursery that has a different variety grafted onto each main limb. Here’s an example of a tree with 2 varieties on it.

Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
5/22/2020 6:31pm
So can I buy or plant something like a Cameo apple tree in the CA central valley and have it grow properly, or is this area...

APLMAN99 wrote:
You should be able to grow it, some years it may not grow as well if it doesn’t get cold enough in the winter though. The...
You should be able to grow it, some years it may not grow as well if it doesn’t get cold enough in the winter though.

The biggest issue might be pollination. I can’t remember if Cameo is self pollinating or not, but most apples aren’t. So if you decide to plant an apple tree, it’d be a good idea to plant a second apple variety close to it for pollination. Or you can order one of those trees from a nursery that has a different variety grafted onto each main limb. Here’s an example of a tree with 2 varieties on it.

So if I can find a tree that's grafted like the one in the picture, that counts as two trees from a pollination perspective? Just making sure I read that correctly.
APLMAN99
5/22/2020 6:39pm

APLMAN99 wrote:
You should be able to grow it, some years it may not grow as well if it doesn’t get cold enough in the winter though. The...

So if I can find a tree that's grafted like the one in the picture, that counts as two trees from a pollination perspective? Just making...
So if I can find a tree that's grafted like the one in the picture, that counts as two trees from a pollination perspective? Just making sure I read that correctly.
For the most part, yes. The pollen comes from the blossoms, and those would be distinct for the different grafts. Ideally the different varieties would bloom around the same time, but if you aren’t growing commercially that isn’t quite as critical to ensure a crop to provide income.

Most online nurseries have multi-variety trees for sale, but I doubt that they would usually have Cameo as one of the varieties. If you only wanted to plant one tree you could order a Cameo tree and just use it for bud wood and try to graft a limb or two onto a multi-variety tree!
crowe176
5/22/2020 8:21pm
Finished my first bag of pink lady’s today. After being a honey crisp die hard, I’m digging the pink lady’s. Not sure if they’re all like the bag I had but they were a lot harder than the HC’s. My biggest problem is staying away from the Marzetti’s dipping Carmel though. That shit is like crack to me and my daughter.

Excited to bake with Granny Smiths after reading this thread. Usually make apple crisp once a month and I think we’ve always used Macintosh’s, so I’m excited to see what the Granny Smiths come out like. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
SKIDLID
Fantasy
805th
5/23/2020 3:31am
crowe176 wrote:
Finished my first bag of pink lady’s today. After being a honey crisp die hard, I’m digging the pink lady’s. Not sure if they’re all like...
Finished my first bag of pink lady’s today. After being a honey crisp die hard, I’m digging the pink lady’s. Not sure if they’re all like the bag I had but they were a lot harder than the HC’s. My biggest problem is staying away from the Marzetti’s dipping Carmel though. That shit is like crack to me and my daughter.

Excited to bake with Granny Smiths after reading this thread. Usually make apple crisp once a month and I think we’ve always used Macintosh’s, so I’m excited to see what the Granny Smiths come out like. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
i am addicted to crips pink lady
jeffro503
5/23/2020 1:09pm

APLMAN99 wrote:

Whoa!! I didn't know that was even possible. Learned a lot in this thread APL , so thank you.
APLMAN99
5/23/2020 3:13pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Whoa!! I didn't know that was even possible. Learned a lot in this thread APL , so thank you.
Yeah those aren’t something that you’d normally see in a commercial orchard but they’re for the homeowner who wants to have more than one variety but not enough room for a bunch of trees. Basically there are likely at least 3 genetically different trees in that one, maybe 4. The rootstock itself is one distinct tree, even though most of it is underground. The tree stock grafted to the rootstock would be the second genetically distinct tree, and I’m pretty sure that it’s also the part of the tree with the green apples on it in the picture. The third genetically distinct tree looks to be growing from the graft of that, and it’s the variety with the red apples. It’s possible that the “leader” with the green apples is also the result of a graft, and if that’s the case then there would be 4 distinct trees in that one plantable unit.

I love almost everything related to growing apples, but lose almost all interest when it comes to most ornamentals, flowers, etc.
APLMAN99
5/23/2020 3:22pm
crowe176 wrote:
Finished my first bag of pink lady’s today. After being a honey crisp die hard, I’m digging the pink lady’s. Not sure if they’re all like...

SKIDLID wrote:
i am addicted to crips pink lady
Those have become my favorite tart apple to eat, but I still usually prefer a Honeycrisp or the new Cosmic Crisp. A very fresh tree-ripened Gala is also a great apple to eat, but to me they seem to lose a lot of flavor the longer they are stored so by this time of the year they are just basically like eating a slightly sweet russet potato. Apples like MacIntosh, Winesap, Jonathan, Gravensteins, etc are getting harder to find because of storage issues, grocers only wanting to carry a lower number of varieties, and stuff like that. Here they are mostly still being grown for fruit stands and for mixing into blends for ciders. It’s too bad, because almost all apples are good if picked and eaten at the correct time but there are a lot of varieties that most people will never get to try.

Post a reply to: For the Aplman

The Latest