First kid off to College. Dealing with Momma.

AHRMA361
Fantasy
180th
So, I just moved my oldest into her dorm today for her Freshman year in College.

All went well, as far as it can be, with thousands of parents/kids trying to funnel in with a truck-load of crap to make their kids dorm as comfortable as possible. Mission accomplished in 4 hours.

Happy to see my baby step off into her new chapter in life. She will do well.

But, Mom has been a weepy mess and is having a difficult time with this adjustment.

Trying hard to keep it positive for her. Hopefully she finds her groove and understands her job is done. All things work out in the end.

For those that have been there, how long did the Mom-blues last?

|
agn5009
8/26/2016 10:52pm
I've been on the other side. My mom had a really hard time when I went off to college. She called me twice a day every day for the first year. I was cool with it, I missed her just as much as she missed me.

My son is only two and I can only imagine how hard it's going to be.
MR. X
8/27/2016 2:00am
I remember my mom was crying when the two Marines came to pick up my brother for his trip to Paris island , he kept telling her to stop crying ,she was gonna make him cry and he didn't want the officers to see him crying.
ns503
8/27/2016 4:46am
How many kids do you have? We have three.

We got our oldest off to college 3 years ago. She's entering year 4 week after next. There were some tears, for sure - but things got better shortly. It helped that there was family in the college town, too. Actually, my wife grew up there, so it went a lot better than it could have if she had gone somewhere else.

Our oldest guy is about to start year 2. That went pretty smooth.

But I'm not exactly looking forward to getting child 3 out the door. He's going into last year of high school. I'm pretty sure that getting him to wherever he's going this time next year, will result in some pretty serious waterworks - maybe a whole summer of it, between leaving high school in June & getting to wherever in September. Despite how much someone here says she can't wait to have the house to ourselves.....
Mini Elsinore
8/27/2016 5:28am Edited Date/Time 7/16/2017 7:39am
Hang in there and be patient. It'll pass.... and congrats on getting her raised and in college. Good job!

The Shop

JAFO92
8/27/2016 4:57pm
Mom? Hell I had dad blues for a while when my boy left. Was also hard after he graduated college, got commissioned and went to Okinawa. Didnt see him for almost 2 years. Sad
newmann
8/27/2016 5:41pm
Oldest son and his wife are local but the other son headed to the Marines fresh out of high school and the house was suddenly empty. Pretty tough.

Young son got to play 50 cal tail gunner out the back of an Osprey for his 22nd Bday this week somewhere in the Med. I was looking for someone to high five, and mom wasn't the one...Smile Every time he comes home on leave she is excited, everytime he leaves she's sad. Oldest son and his wife are about to have a baby in the next week or two so she'll have a whole new game to cater to. Smile Good times.
Nighttrain
8/27/2016 9:56pm
We dropped my oldest son off at Clemson two weeks ago. I'm more messed up about it than my wife. It just doesn't feel right around the house.
OleTex
8/28/2016 12:19am Edited Date/Time 8/28/2016 12:20am
Hey man, I went through this two years ago, I'm about to do it again with my youngest entering her senior year in HS. Yes, it will subside in time, but there are a few small things you can do to help:

Help your wife send her cookies. For some reason this helped my wife a lot.

Start planning for the next time she comes home.

Make sure your wife stays in touch with her. It can be a text message, phone call or whatever.

Go to "Fathers day" if you can and make sure your wife goes to "Mothers day" whenever that is.

These things worked for me. Hang in there, it's temporary.
jonjon714
8/28/2016 5:59am Edited Date/Time 8/28/2016 6:00am
Dropped off our oldest of three Tuesday at James Madison. She graduated high school last year but took a gap year. She left last October and went to India for 6 months to work at a girl's orphanage. That was really tough saying goodbye knowing the dangers and that she'd be alone for the holidays, etc. It was good pratice though because saying goodbye on Tuesday was a breeze!
8/28/2016 12:25pm
Empty nesting is no fun. She will visit when she needs money and laundry so you'll see her often.
DoctorJD
8/29/2016 2:18pm
I just sent my oldest (son) off a few weeks ago. My wife has been a basket case ever since he graduated high school. She's getting better, and he's only an hour from us, so it could be worse. I miss him, but I'm excited for him (and jealous, truth be told).
AHRMA361
Fantasy
180th
8/30/2016 8:47pm
Thanks for all the input guys. Glad to see I am not alone!

Starting on the next chapter as the first week goes on. Dorm drama is upon us.

Daughter is in a quad that is separated into two private, double occupancy rooms, sharing a common area and kitchen. She is cool with her roomie but the other pair are at serious odds. So much so that one girl has already moved most of her stuff out and to another dorm.

They are hoping to get another girl from their building to replace the one that bugged out. One of the girls knows someone that is not happy with her Indian roomie that has their dorm reeking of curry and has frequent sexual encounters with her boyfriend, while she is in the room. So, we will see how this works out.

Of course, Momma is all over the drama with advice, texts, phone calls etc. I advised that our daughter can work this out on her own and it is all part of being a young adult. It's part of life and you manage through it.

That comment didn't play out too well for me at home. Should be an interesting year if this keeps up!
bronwynrayne
8/31/2016 5:08am
Just let her fawn, it's expected. Moms, and women in general, love to be needed. I know I do, and I'm childless.
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
8/31/2016 6:28am
I have really tried not to think about it and tried to avoid this thread but its coming and there is good advice to use here. My oldest is in his last year of HS and will be gone in less than a year and I cant help but feel sad. I still remember the day he was born and all of those years of him racing starting on an XR 50. We spent so much time together with racing and am so glad we did. My youngest started highschool and we have become closer than ever. I realized there isnt much time left and have really been aware that he too will be gone soon so Im pulling out all of the stops to maximize our time together. Honestly, I tear up thinking about it.
jndmx
8/31/2016 12:20pm Edited Date/Time 8/31/2016 12:21pm
My son is 21, went to Chicago 3 years ago for school.....1200 miles from me.
I thought I would get better about it over time but if anything it seems like it's worse, man I fucking HATE it.
We were together all the time when he was growing up, racing and such kept us close.
It's awful, of course there is texting but that sucks and only talking once in a while really blows.

I'm not ashamed to admit that it makes me cry on a regular basis still....I'm tearing up right now just typing this.
I miss my boy so much, I'd give anything to have him home.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
9/1/2016 11:15am
AHRMA361 wrote:
So, I just moved my oldest into her dorm today for her Freshman year in College. All went well, as far as it can be, with...
So, I just moved my oldest into her dorm today for her Freshman year in College.

All went well, as far as it can be, with thousands of parents/kids trying to funnel in with a truck-load of crap to make their kids dorm as comfortable as possible. Mission accomplished in 4 hours.

Happy to see my baby step off into her new chapter in life. She will do well.

But, Mom has been a weepy mess and is having a difficult time with this adjustment.

Trying hard to keep it positive for her. Hopefully she finds her groove and understands her job is done. All things work out in the end.

For those that have been there, how long did the Mom-blues last?

She will never get over it, she's a mom and her job is never done.

It gets easier as time passes, but she will be right ba k there when she leaves next year and the year after that.
AZ35
Fantasy
550th
9/1/2016 1:42pm
My oldest daughter just started her junior year at NAU, which is about 2 hours north of Phoenix.

The first year was an adjustment, just seemed like something is "missing" when the family unit changes (I also have 2 younger daughters- freshman and junior in High School).

What did seem to help the transition for us was using facetime on the ipad, rather than just text or regular phone calls. The whole family could gather around the ipad so it sort of felt like we were together.

At least you get to see them live, not just a voice, so they don't seem so far away.

9/2/2016 6:18am
I'm getting weird on this kid stuff. I wait for my son to show up after work or practice. Not to make sure he is home on time or safe but to hear how his day went. With Football, Basketball, and his job at a Local Restaurant the kid is NEVER home already so I am hoping he kind of weens us gradually.

Post a reply to: First kid off to College. Dealing with Momma.

The Latest