First issue of Motocross Action. Have you read it?

KennyT
Fantasy
479th
6/28/2019 7:25am Edited Date/Time 3/29/2020 3:09am
July 1973, the very first issue of MXA and nothing like the ones you read today, or even the issues after the late 70’s. Very entertaining and educational. If anyone had never seen it and would like to read it, I have a pretty worn out issue that’s been read about 5,983 times over the years. I will send it to whoever wants to check it out, with the promise you will either send it back to me or forward it on to someone else in the forum who wants to read it. My goal would be to eventually get it back. If anyone is interested you can either post your info here for me to send it to or shoot me a email at kennyt45@sbcglobal.net with your address. If more than one person wants to check it out it will be a first to respond deal.
|
6/28/2019 7:35am
I may request it, but I'm sending it back to you if I do. I'm not gonna be partially responsible for anyone down the line that decides to keep it.
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
6/28/2019 7:46am
I may request it, but I'm sending it back to you if I do. I'm not gonna be partially responsible for anyone down the line that...
I may request it, but I'm sending it back to you if I do. I'm not gonna be partially responsible for anyone down the line that decides to keep it.
Really don’t worry about sending it back to me. If you send it to the next person n line, if there is someone, and it disappears I promise you won’t be held responsible. It would save me postage if multiple readers. This way it’s just once for me👍

Anyway It’s not the end of the world if it gets lost in circulation, it’s not pristine that’s for sure. Send me your info and I’ll get it out this afternoon. I think you’ll really enjoy it.
6/28/2019 7:52am
I may request it, but I'm sending it back to you if I do. I'm not gonna be partially responsible for anyone down the line that...
KennyT wrote:
Really don’t worry about sending it back to me. If you send it to the next person n line, if there is someone, and it disappears...
Really don’t worry about sending it back to me. If you send it to the next person n line, if there is someone, and it disappears I promise you won’t be held responsible. It would save me postage if multiple readers. This way it’s just once for me👍

Anyway It’s not the end of the world if it gets lost in circulation, it’s not pristine that’s for sure. Send me your info and I’ll get it out this afternoon. I think you’ll really enjoy it.
Info sent.

The Shop

Falcon
Fantasy
765th
6/28/2019 8:16am
What a cool idea. Book club!
I noted how similar the MXA logo is to today's version. I remember they updated it some time in the late '80s or early '90s... Did they change it back? Also, check out the lack of Photoshop on the cover: that's a full-color photograph which was trimmed by hand. (Out of necessity, of course; no computers, no Photoshop!) Note the background in the space underneath the guy's crossbar at the top left...
That's a great time capsule.
OldPro277
6/28/2019 8:37am
I became an early subscriber in mid 1974 , I was in 10th grade I believe. I have never seen the premier copy,however.. Harrison, I'd like to be next in line whenever you are thru----

Kenny- this is a very generous act on your part, most guys I know would guard that with their life....even if it is tattered a bit. Thank you !!
KMC440
6/29/2019 4:47am Edited Date/Time 6/29/2019 4:48am
100 pager
I'll get into this conga line after I move and all the dust settles. Someone make a jacket for it so everyone can put the town it's traveled to on it maybe.
Deja New
6/29/2019 5:00am
You should put something like a library card in it so every member can put there user name it see just how many vitards it can be read by Smile
Deja New
6/29/2019 5:09am
I’ll put my name down for the mags Aussie chapter Smile
OldPro277
6/29/2019 6:59am
BTW---- why is this in "Non Moto" ?? Maybe it should be moved to "Old School" to get more views from old dudes like us that would appreciate and get a little pleasure from Kenny's gracious generosity.
6/29/2019 7:01am
I haven't heard back from Kenny, but I'm assuming he got my mail.
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
6/29/2019 7:26am
I haven't heard back from Kenny, but I'm assuming he got my mail.
I got it sent out yesterday so it’s on it’s way to Georgia. I love the idea of seeing where it travels to. This issue is well worn, all pages are intact but it certainly isn’t one for the museum. I had a really nice copy in the closet that I have as backup. If there is any way to make a little notation inside the cover or on the back cover I would not have a problem with that. It would be cool to see where it traveled to and like I said I am not worried about defacing the mag. I was reading it the other day, it has been a couple of years, and I realized how entertaining that writing was, compared to what MXA has become today. It was all about having a good time back then, back n the days of loading up the van with your dog and girlfriend and hitting the road. Very interesting article on the Euros and their dominance at that time.

So anyone that can get in on it I hope you enjoy it. Don’t worry about handling it, it has been read hundreds of times by friends/family and is already worn. Show it to your friends or whatever. If I get it back months, years from now it doesn’t matter. If it never makes it back it’s not the end of the world. I’ll leave it up to whoever has it to figure out where to send it next.

Harry Backmon....you should see it early next week👍
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
6/29/2019 7:32am
OldPro277 wrote:
BTW---- why is this in "Non Moto" ?? Maybe it should be moved to "Old School" to get more views from old dudes like us that...
BTW---- why is this in "Non Moto" ?? Maybe it should be moved to "Old School" to get more views from old dudes like us that would appreciate and get a little pleasure from Kenny's gracious generosity.
I put it here mainly because I feel their are good people in this forum who are always here to offer good advice. Even guys I have clashed with, like KillerWombat😂. I miss seeing him on here. It’s like a little moto community that makes me realize we are all people with opinions, problems, advice and questions and although we don’t all get along on all topics it is still a very civilized place to discuss anything and everything.

Feel free to mention it in old school and invite anyone to check it out if they are interested.
Dropbear
6/30/2019 2:52am
Great offer.
I used to subscribe in the 70’s. I would go home from school at lunchtime just to see if it had arrived from the US. They made a mistake and always sent me 2 issues for the price of 1.
JRT812
6/30/2019 4:35am
So who do I send my info to now? Would it be old pro bro? I believe it’s harry, old pro and then maybe me
KMC440
6/30/2019 4:52am
I would believe whomever has it will post they're done reading it then then next person to ask for it first gets it. It's all about the holeshot baby. Wink
6/30/2019 12:25pm
JRT812 wrote:
So who do I send my info to now? Would it be old pro bro? I believe it’s harry, old pro and then maybe me
Whomever is next in line send your info to old pro bro.
JRT812
6/30/2019 5:29pm
Right on and thanks!
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
7/1/2019 1:01pm
Holy smokes, Kenny! It just came! Thanks. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/07/01/357553/s1200_IMG_20190701_125128420.jpg[/img] That was quick!
Holy smokes, Kenny! It just came! Thanks.

That was quick!
Wow that is amazing! Went out Fri evening and goes 3,000 miles away they quickly. You’ll find it to be about a hours read. Hardly any ads which is nice. Enjoy it, don’t worry if you get hot sauce or beer on it, it’s a very used edition and it’s no concern to me if it comes back more worn than it is👍
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
7/1/2019 3:38pm
The paper sounds like a great idea and adhere it anyway you want to. I won’t complain 👌
Last Braaap
Fantasy
4250th
7/10/2019 11:24pm
Personally i like the idea. i just wonder if it wouldn't be safer to scan the whole mag and make it into one PDF file that you could share.

I know that paper is paper but i would be hella frightened knowing how the shipment is usually handled. Unsure
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
7/11/2019 6:53am
Personally i like the idea. i just wonder if it wouldn't be safer to scan the whole mag and make it into one PDF file that...
Personally i like the idea. i just wonder if it wouldn't be safer to scan the whole mag and make it into one PDF file that you could share.

I know that paper is paper but i would be hella frightened knowing how the shipment is usually handled. Unsure
The condition of this mag is very well worn and it sits in a magazine stack at home to be looked at by anyone. I have a nice issue tucked away n the closet. If the one out there being shared comes back n pieces it’s really not a big deal to me. I’m sharing so others who haven’t seen it can check it out without having to find one on EBay. So if anyone is hesitant to take part n this because they are concerned it may get more damaged than it is, please don’t worry about it. Packaging is easy, I just put it in a post office envelope and sent it off. And no insurance is needed on shipping
7/11/2019 8:39am
Yep. I shipped it the same way you did. Should be in oldbros hands tomorrow according to the postal employee that took it.
OldPro277
7/11/2019 10:02am
Cool !!! I'll be looking for it. Just got back from the 3-day Vintage mud racing extravaganza at Mid Ohio , so its perfect timing to keep the Vintage juices flowing !!
OldPro277
7/12/2019 5:02pm
Got it today !! Gonna start attacking it tonite. Probably will be ready to ship to the next recipient Monday-ish. Whoever is next in line shoot me your address over the weekend. Thanks Harry, and thanks Kenny T !!
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
7/13/2019 10:18am
OldPro277 wrote:
Got it today !! Gonna start attacking it tonite. Probably will be ready to ship to the next recipient Monday-ish. Whoever is next in line shoot...
Got it today !! Gonna start attacking it tonite. Probably will be ready to ship to the next recipient Monday-ish. Whoever is next in line shoot me your address over the weekend. Thanks Harry, and thanks Kenny T !!
Enjoy it old pro and take your time. I’m n no hurry to get it back. Show it to as many people you can that may get a kick out of it.
OldPro277
7/15/2019 3:18pm
Ok boys, I'm ready to ship the mag to the next guy . Whoever is next PM me your address, but let me know that you did thru here please.. By the way, Preston Petty fenders for $ 4 and helmet cams in 1973 ?? Way too cool.

Post a reply to: First issue of Motocross Action. Have you read it?

The Latest