Final nail in the airline industry's coffin?

jonjon714
Edited Date/Time 1/22/2012 3:30pm
I suppose the government could buy them if they go broke...

Obama Administration Eases Path for Airline, Rail Workers to Unionize
|
Void Main
5/10/2010 5:41pm
As long as the government forces them to not charge for extra luggage everyone will be safe. Fricken' Schumer is a real piece of work.
KAWboy14
5/10/2010 6:54pm
those waitresses that serve cokes and pretzels on the airlines are overpaid as it is, why pay them more?!
CamP
5/10/2010 10:47pm
Unions don't seem to be hurting Southwest.
zjbell
5/10/2010 11:25pm
I can only think of one airline that is completely non-union.

The Shop

zjbell
5/10/2010 11:26pm
CamP wrote:
And management respects the unions on property, industry leading contracts, top of the line benefits and pay and *somehow* they still turn a profit.

zjbell
5/10/2010 11:36pm
That's true.

SWA does work you hard, but they won't treat you unfairly. If you're willing to work your ass off you can make good money.
Bob693
5/11/2010 6:38am
KAWboy14 wrote:
those waitresses that serve cokes and pretzels on the airlines are overpaid as it is, why pay them more?!
How much do you think they make?
Larry
5/11/2010 7:31am
The U.S. airline industry has not been profitable as a whole since dereulation in the early 80's.
Unions are the least of their problems.
Farva
5/11/2010 8:29am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:44pm
That's what everyone was saying about unions and car companies at first.

How did that turn out?

Unions are nothing more than a mafia.
MXR
5/11/2010 11:06pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:45pm
I will be making about $80,000-$100,000 a year when I retire for every year I live from my union pension . All the companies that pay me these good wages and benefits compete and beat out non union companies that pay less , with less benefits . Yet these companies I work for still make a profit off the high quality , safe and productive work completed on time by union labor . That trickle down theory is has not worked out to well for the working class , unless you like getting pissed on . We are getting our piece of the pie now . Live better work union

Pround to be a union pipefitter / welder & union boilermaker / welder
TeamGreen
5/12/2010 7:56am
CamP wrote:
zjbell wrote:
And management respects the unions on property, industry leading contracts, top of the line benefits and pay and *somehow* they still turn a profit.

Bwahahahahaha...

Are you on Planet Earth?

What Airline is turning this wonderful profit you speak of?

Does, uh...you know, all the big airlines filing for B-K ring a "bell"?

This Prez bending over for the Unions is jus' a vote-grab.

Give it a rest.
zjbell
5/12/2010 12:37pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:46pm
CamP wrote:
zjbell wrote:

TeamGreen wrote:
Bwahahahahaha... Are you on Planet Earth? What Airline is turning this wonderful profit you speak of? Does, uh...you know, all the big airlines filing for B-K...
Bwahahahahaha...

Are you on Planet Earth?

Give it a rest.
Damn, oldfart didn't even know about the 3-1-1 rule until last year but he even knew that SWA was profitable a vast majority of the time.

Worked there for 2 1/2 years, the profit sharing checks cleared. In fact I bought myself a new fo-fiddy with one of them.
TeamGreen
5/12/2010 1:19pm
zjbell wrote:

TeamGreen wrote:
Bwahahahahaha... Are you on Planet Earth? What Airline is turning this wonderful profit you speak of? Does, uh...you know, all the big airlines filing for B-K...
Bwahahahahaha...

Are you on Planet Earth?

Give it a rest.
zjbell wrote:
Damn, oldfart didn't even know about the 3-1-1 rule until last year but he even knew that SWA was profitable a vast majority of the time...
Damn, oldfart didn't even know about the 3-1-1 rule until last year but he even knew that SWA was profitable a vast majority of the time.

Worked there for 2 1/2 years, the profit sharing checks cleared. In fact I bought myself a new fo-fiddy with one of them.
So, tell me about ALL THE OTHER Profitable airlines...

Say, Alaska/Horizon...maybe? Quantas...

Where's all the other HUGE PROFITS that're being assumed? Isn't tath what's bein' impied? And then there's the automatic assumption that Labor's gettin' the shaft, etc.

You'll have to educate me. I'm an idiot.

Thank you.
zjbell
5/12/2010 2:33pm
We were talking about SWA, where did I say anything abou the entire industry?

SWA is the example of how an airline should be ran.

zjbell
5/12/2010 2:43pm
TeamGreen wrote:
So, tell me about ALL THE OTHER Profitable airlines... Say, Alaska/Horizon...maybe? Quantas... Where's all the other HUGE PROFITS that're being assumed? Isn't tath what's bein' impied...
So, tell me about ALL THE OTHER Profitable airlines...

Say, Alaska/Horizon...maybe? Quantas...

Where's all the other HUGE PROFITS that're being assumed? Isn't tath what's bein' impied? And then there's the automatic assumption that Labor's gettin' the shaft, etc.

You'll have to educate me. I'm an idiot.

Thank you.
Talking about the entire industry:

Labor HAS gotten the shaft. Pensions slashed, salary cut 50% in some cases, furloughs, shitty benefits. And all this happened with unions in place, concessions made to keep the airline afloat.

The "all unions are evil" stance is painting with a broad brush.
KAWboy14
5/12/2010 4:00pm
southwest stewardesses make about $14.00 an hour!
zjbell
5/12/2010 4:14pm
KAWboy14 wrote:
From memory SWA flight attandants start at around $20/flight hour and top out around $50.
TeamGreen
5/12/2010 4:23pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:46pm
KAWboy14 wrote:
zjbell wrote:
From memory SWA flight attandants start at around $20/flight hour and top out around $50.
I think the $50/hr rate is an O/T number.

My point is that people throw around words and phrases about profitability in an industry where the biggest players are still in a world of shit; furthermore, concessions from the IAM & the Pilots Union are in-line with what the industry needed.

IF...I say -IF- this industry is going to prosper...It's time for another "Out with Old & In with the New!" house-cleaning amongst the douchebags that manage the "bigs".
KAWboy14
5/12/2010 4:47pm
KAWboy14 wrote:
zjbell wrote:
"flight hour" does not equal time away from home.....which is the real number!
zjbell
5/12/2010 4:55pm
No $50 an hour is a normal rate.

I don't think concessions is what the "industry" needed it's what those individual airlines had to do. Not everyone took cuts.

I threw out the word profitibility in regards to Southwest because it's true. SWA is a profitible business.

I think you're typcasting the industry. Not all airlines are in trouble, not all of the pilot groups need to take concessions, not all of the management teams need replacing an not all of the unions are "bad".

You get what you pay for at the expense of safety, ask Comair or Colgan about low-balling wages and attracting less experienced crewmembers. Sooner or later it comes back to bite them.
zjbell
5/12/2010 4:58pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:46pm
KAWboy14 wrote:
zjbell wrote:
KAWboy14 wrote:
If you count the total TAFB (time away from base) FA's problay make $5 bucks an hour.

that's how you're paid in the airlines....brake off to brake on. That's real.
jmar
5/12/2010 5:10pm
zjbell wrote:
KAWboy14 wrote:
zjbell wrote:
If you count the total TAFB (time away from base) FA's problay make $5 bucks an hour. that's how you're paid in the airlines....brake off to...
If you count the total TAFB (time away from base) FA's problay make $5 bucks an hour.

zjbell wrote: From memory SWA flight attandants start at around $20/flight hour and top out around $50

Coming from a guy that flys every week.

They earn every penny they make. Dealing with the public (especially in close quarters like a plane) isn't an easy job. Take into account that some are afraid to fly, or are in vaca mode and end up being public drunks.

My hats off to flight attendants.
jmar
5/12/2010 5:11pm
KAWboy14 wrote:
zjbell wrote:
If you count the total TAFB (time away from base) FA's problay make $5 bucks an hour. that's how you're paid in the airlines....brake off to...

jmar wrote:
[i]zjbell wrote: From memory SWA flight attandants start at around $20/flight hour and top out around $50[/i] Coming from a guy that flys every week. They...
zjbell wrote: From memory SWA flight attandants start at around $20/flight hour and top out around $50

They earn every penny they make. Dealing with the public (especially in close quarters like a plane) isn't an easy job. Take into account that some are afraid to fly, or are in vaca mode and end up being public drunks.

I forgot to add in the average "Partridge Family" vacation, that has unruly kids and screaming babies.
Void Main
5/12/2010 5:12pm
KAWboy14 wrote:
zjbell wrote:

jmar wrote:
[i]zjbell wrote: From memory SWA flight attandants start at around $20/flight hour and top out around $50[/i] Coming from a guy that flys every week. They...

Especially the ones that have to deal with senators.
CamP
5/12/2010 5:43pm
KAWboy14 wrote:
zjbell wrote:
It's up to about $56 now.
TeamGreen
5/12/2010 6:12pm
zjbell wrote:
No $50 an hour is a normal rate. I don't think concessions is what the "industry" needed it's what those individual airlines had to do. Not...
No $50 an hour is a normal rate.

I don't think concessions is what the "industry" needed it's what those individual airlines had to do. Not everyone took cuts.

I threw out the word profitibility in regards to Southwest because it's true. SWA is a profitible business.

I think you're typcasting the industry. Not all airlines are in trouble, not all of the pilot groups need to take concessions, not all of the management teams need replacing an not all of the unions are "bad".

You get what you pay for at the expense of safety, ask Comair or Colgan about low-balling wages and attracting less experienced crewmembers. Sooner or later it comes back to bite them.
I think I mean a few of the bigs that still can't get thier shit togehter after ALL these years...

On the concessions issue: I was implying that the Unions -did- have to make what I consider reasonable concessions.

As to safety: Why the FUCK are we allowing foreign countries to service our carrier's birds, do depot-level work, re-cert parts and planes...etc.?

W T F?

The good news: Lots of 787 work/parts/hardware yanked out from under China!

YES!

Post a reply to: Final nail in the airline industry's coffin?

The Latest