Filling cracks in concrete floors

Related:
Create New Tag

6/12/2018 2:02 PM

Anyone have any special tips for this? Something that will hold up for over 6 months at a shot while having forklifts drive over them on occasion? I use this stuff, and it works decent but starts "chipping" up sort of like the heavy duty plastic tape that you put down on concrete. I'm thinking that I might be putting it down a bit too thick because it is raised just a tiny bit over the surrounding concrete, but it's difficult to simple fill small cracks without it being a bit raised anyway.

Photo

|

6/12/2018 3:24 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/12/2018 3:26 PM

I just got into my 40th year of home remodeling and I gotta tell you what your asking for is not easy. Most any of the brands in store shelves are just temporary bandaids.

You might give something called “pour stone” a try. Also a product called “level ease”.

I use a bucket with a drill/mixing bit to make mixing easier, they both come in a powder form which seems to work the best.

Both of those you will mix into a pourable mixture, kinda like pancake batter consistency. Pour it into the crack and use a putty knife to remove the excess before it sets up. Just try it in a small area and see how it holds up before going too far with the project

|

6/12/2018 4:40 PM

We use epoxy here with forklift traffic all day, but it chips and goes on thick like you describe. Are you using it in a food grade facility that is inspected regularly? If not, I think you might have better luck with caulk since it doesn't chip. In reality, though, once it starts cracking there is not much that will stop it.

|

6/13/2018 2:28 AM

After years of using "Deck O Seal" around pools I ran into a guy who came from a commercial caulking business instead of the pool business. He uses this shit, it's urethane based, not rubber based and kicks ass over deck o seal in every way. Plus he can tool it at an angle if the 2 sides aren't level with each other. Dynatread urethane 2 part sealant. http://chargar.com/w/dynatred-urethan-2-part-expansion-joint-for-heavy-traffic-areas/

|

6/13/2018 6:50 AM

I've had good luck with 2 part epoxy. Check the BonStone line. They are pricey but worth it.
Our stone business has used their products for 15 years.

|

www.alljackedupinc.com home of the Switch Hauler®

6/13/2018 6:52 AM

Also, when you use a 2 part epoxy you can adjust the final product by adjusting the ratio. Don't vary too much or you'll ruin the product.
Cheers

|

www.alljackedupinc.com home of the Switch Hauler®

6/13/2018 7:42 AM

sumdood wrote:

After years of using "Deck O Seal" around pools I ran into a guy who came from a commercial caulking business instead of the ...more

Looks like a good product. Thanks for the link

|

6/13/2018 5:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/13/2018 5:12 PM

It depends more on what type of crack it is (shrinkage or structural) for correct repair. How big is it? Pics? Primary use.....warehouse, foot traffic only, etc?

|

6/13/2018 11:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/14/2018 5:41 AM

If possible, clean it out really well. Hose it out. Blow it out with air and you can use acetone. Make sure its 100% dry. Use a torch to dry it. The 2 part apoxy like what toolmaker said is your best bet. Less hardner is better. The more hardner you use it will. React to quick and crack.

|

6/14/2018 8:15 AM

dirtmike86 wrote:

If possible, clean it out really well. Hose it out. Blow it out with air and you can use acetone. Make sure its 100% dry. Use ...more

No water needed to clean unless necessary. Use air and vacuum.

|

I have the right to remain awesome.

6/14/2018 1:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/14/2018 1:15 PM

I don’t know about small cracks but my mastic guru guy cleans the sides of the cracks with a grinder first and recommends using round foam rather than sand as the base for the mastic to sit on. He says the foam gives you more contact area on the sides of the crack as well as making it thinner in the middle so it’s more apt to be able to stretch a little, versus when you use the sand as a base it generally winds up deeper in the middle which not only waste material and makes it harder for it to stretch, as well as less side wall for the material to grab onto. He’s pretty anal about it and has over thunk mastic more than anyone I know haha. Here’s a diagram. Photo

|

6/16/2018 10:44 AM

sumdood wrote:

After years of using "Deck O Seal" around pools I ran into a guy who came from a commercial caulking business instead of the ...more

I'll be trying some of this!

One of my employees has been applying the Rustoleum product, not me personally. After reading about it on the interwebs, it seems that he's been applying it wrong and that's why it's cracking relatively soon. He's been taping around the crack (like if you were painting) then filling the crack and removing the tape leaving a few mils above the surface. I'm going to have him follow the actual directions better and keep the level of fill flush and see how that works, and also use this other product applied the same day to see which lasts longer.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

|