Favorite type of beer? Pilsner, lager or.....?

EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1154th
11/20/2018 5:24am
Deja New wrote:
On a hot Aussie day anything but xxxx gold in a can that shit don’t fly or fosters tastes like cats piss.... don’t mind millers or...
On a hot Aussie day anything but xxxx gold in a can that shit don’t fly or fosters tastes like cats piss.... don’t mind millers or bud full strength stuff that light beers bs. And like the great Rodney Carrington once said Smile titties n beer hunting two legged deer thank god almighty for titties n beer.
I was about to rip into you until I read your post for the 7th time. I'm 3 tallies of New and a 1litre of goat piss (Hardy's sauvignon blanc) in, plus a bit of green. Happy daze.
Electro21
Fantasy
75th
11/20/2018 5:28am
Electro21 wrote:
A pilsner is a lager, but I am home brew geek..

My favorite is barleywine or oak aged imperial stout.
MudPup545 wrote:
Learn something new everyday. Didn't realize/know they were the same. A lager always seems a bit heavier to me. I do know that I enjoy some...
Learn something new everyday. Didn't realize/know they were the same. A lager always seems a bit heavier to me.
I do know that I enjoy some of the reds out there. Not a fan of the dark ones, a couple here and there are okay. IPAs? I have yet to find one that I can stomach.
Lager's are your Budweiser's, Bud light, Coors, etc. They are actually usually crisp, but can vary. Red's, Stouts, and IPA's are all ale's Of course there are variations.

Difference between lager and ale is how they are fermented. Lager's ferment at cooler temperatures than ale's. Lager means to age beer at colder temperatures. A little beer knowledge.
Deja New
11/20/2018 5:35am
Deja New wrote:
On a hot Aussie day anything but xxxx gold in a can that shit don’t fly or fosters tastes like cats piss.... don’t mind millers or...
On a hot Aussie day anything but xxxx gold in a can that shit don’t fly or fosters tastes like cats piss.... don’t mind millers or bud full strength stuff that light beers bs. And like the great Rodney Carrington once said Smile titties n beer hunting two legged deer thank god almighty for titties n beer.
EZZA 95B wrote:
I was about to rip into you until I read your post for the 7th time. I'm 3 tallies of New and a 1litre of goat...
I was about to rip into you until I read your post for the 7th time. I'm 3 tallies of New and a 1litre of goat piss (Hardy's sauvignon blanc) in, plus a bit of green. Happy daze.
I’m a few Millers n glasses red into it. Fucking slab of beer now fiddy bucks fuck it costs to drink. I hate beer in a can taste like Aluminium or phanetically Alooominuuuum if ur murican. On a side note why is phonetically not spelt phonetically?
Deja New
11/20/2018 5:40am
Deja New wrote:
EZZA 95B wrote:
I was about to rip into you until I read your post for the 7th time. I'm 3 tallies of New and a 1litre of goat...
Found the recipe for canned beer Woohoo

First rescue stray cats from all over Straya . feed them on the finest hops and barley, a bit of yeast, and plenty of water, and we harvest the result using a sophisticted system of irrigation. The result is a refreshing, powerfully hopped, pale ale. No cats were harmed in the production of this beer.

The Shop

Kenny Lingus
11/20/2018 6:46am
Falcon wrote:
I don't know the difference between pilsner and lager. However, I seem to enjoy the porters whenever I get one. And I like the darker ales...
I don't know the difference between pilsner and lager. However, I seem to enjoy the porters whenever I get one. And I like the darker ales, too. Someone educate me!

EDIT: If it tastes vaguely like dark chocolate, coffee or caramel, I like it. If it tastes like an orange or a pine cone, I'm OUT!!
Lagers use bottom fermenting yeast and are fermented at cooler temps. Ales use top fermenting yeast at warmer temps. Lagers are usually what people consider crisp and clean. Ales tend to have more esters (flavors). Yeast can produce an amazing range of flavors, from clove, banana to melon and fruit flavors.

For what it's worth, most American lagers are made with rice and corn syrup. That's why you can get a 30 pack of swill for the same price as a 6 of something good.
JPT
11/20/2018 7:07am
Dark Ales, Irish Reds, Amber Ales. Not a fan of hoppy.
Kenny Lingus
11/20/2018 7:20am
JPT wrote:
Dark Ales, Irish Reds, Amber Ales. Not a fan of hoppy.
Lots of people don't like IPA's because of the bitterness. Look for a "dry hopped" IPA. The beer is basically filtered through the hops usually just before bottling instead of the hops being boiled in the wort. You get hop flavors without a lot of the bitterness. New England style IPA's are less bitter as well.
Kenny Lingus
11/20/2018 7:25am
Don't forget to look on package for ABV (alcohol %), IBU's ( bitterness units, higher the number more bitter) and SRM (Color, higher number darker).
TXDirt
11/20/2018 7:26am
Go to beer is Corona Extra or Corona Familiar. Will occasionally drink a Fat Tire, Sierra Nevada, New Castle, Apple Crisp, or a summer shandy. Mostly drink port wines.

peelout
11/20/2018 7:49am
Egg-Nog, Spiced Rum, and a little Sprite is my go-to this time of year
XXVoid MainXX
11/20/2018 7:59am Edited Date/Time 11/20/2018 8:00am
I remember the first time I tried an IPA I didn't like it because of the hop flavor. In fact I also remember not initially liking stouts, I think just because they were different than what I started with, Olympia and Old Style. Smile Both the stout and the IPA were an acquired taste. I grew a liking to stouts before the IPAs and finally warmed up to the IPAs which has become my go to first choice for pretty much any occasion, including pretty much any afternoon. Smile
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
11/20/2018 8:06am
Redbridge by anhieser Busch
APLMAN99
11/20/2018 8:12am
On a hot summer day, it's hard to beat an ice cold (has to be straight from the cooler, if it gets above 40 degrees it's no good!) bottle of Rolling Rock. Cheapest thing around and barely has any alcohol in it. You can drink 20 of those in an afternoon/evening and not be too drunk, but just enough for an attitude adjustment.
IWreckALot
11/20/2018 10:21am
Falcon wrote:
I don't know the difference between pilsner and lager. However, I seem to enjoy the porters whenever I get one. And I like the darker ales...
I don't know the difference between pilsner and lager. However, I seem to enjoy the porters whenever I get one. And I like the darker ales, too. Someone educate me!

EDIT: If it tastes vaguely like dark chocolate, coffee or caramel, I like it. If it tastes like an orange or a pine cone, I'm OUT!!
Beer lingo is increasingly difficult to understand.

There are two types of yeasts that convert sugar to alcohol. Ale yeast and Lager yeast. There are even a wide arrange of ale yeasts and lager yeasts. Each give a different flavor to beer. Some more of a malty grainy flavor/mouthfeel and others are much more clean and clear tasting.

Three ingredients in any beer are:

Grain - sugar source
Yeast - living bacteria that consumes sugar and creates alcohol and carbon dioxide
Hops - used to cut the sugar taste with a bitterness - even in stouts.

Pilsner or Pilsen are two types of grain. You can ferment them with lager or ale yeasts but the textbook Pilsner is a lager. . . so the question in the subject line is redundant.

Most of your commercially produced beers are fermented with lager yeast strains but they're not the definition of a lager.

Stouts and porters are virtually all done with ale yeasts. It's difficult to get a lager over 9% and its common to get a stout over 9%. We get our stouts well into the 14%-16% range.

As far as my go-to store bought beers, I enjoy Estrella Jalisco mexican lagers. The Breakfast Stout Newmann posted is fantastic also.
FiendzCC
11/20/2018 10:39am Edited Date/Time 11/20/2018 10:40am
Falcon wrote:

Falcon, you ever check out Mason Jar Brewing? I see you're in Menifee which is where they are, over by Texas Roadhouse. They have quite a few brews similar to what you described, would probably be right up your alley.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
11/20/2018 10:47am
Falcon wrote:

FiendzCC wrote:
Falcon, you ever check out Mason Jar Brewing? I see you're in Menifee which is where they are, over by Texas Roadhouse. They have quite a...
Falcon, you ever check out Mason Jar Brewing? I see you're in Menifee which is where they are, over by Texas Roadhouse. They have quite a few brews similar to what you described, would probably be right up your alley.
No, I'll have to go check it out. Thanks for the tip!

Also, thank yous to everyone who linked or gave descriptions. I've always been interested but never took the time to look into the science behind brewing. Now I know. (A little.)
Rooster
11/20/2018 11:40am
Lagers use bottom fermenting yeast and are fermented at cooler temps. Ales use top fermenting yeast at warmer temps. Lagers are usually what people consider crisp...
Lagers use bottom fermenting yeast and are fermented at cooler temps. Ales use top fermenting yeast at warmer temps. Lagers are usually what people consider crisp and clean. Ales tend to have more esters (flavors). Yeast can produce an amazing range of flavors, from clove, banana to melon and fruit flavors.

For what it's worth, most American lagers are made with rice and corn syrup. That's why you can get a 30 pack of swill for the same price as a 6 of something good.
I remember back in the day when a Kirin, Sapporo or Ashai used to have a very distinct flavour profile because of how they used rice instead of barley. Now they hardly taste any different than any of the major brands like Bud, Molson, etc.
Sully
11/20/2018 3:43pm
Turkey day selection [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/11/20/303838/s1200_IMG_20181120_095108504.jpg[/img]
Turkey day selection
How's the VooDoo Ranger Black IPA? I love regular VooDoo Ranger, but the Black IPA is just about impossible to get over here.
Kenny Lingus
11/20/2018 5:00pm
I'm saving them for Thursday. I have to try to smoke a turkey outside in temps in the teens. They should help to stay warm. If you are getting the voodoo ranger over in Japan ask if they can get them on the next shipment since it just came out might get lucky.
jtiger12
11/20/2018 5:48pm
New England ipa (neipa) for me, second being a good barrel aged stout
plowboy
11/20/2018 10:13pm
Lots of good info here but beer is a very complex subject. Traditionally, lager is brewed with anaerobic yeast which sits in the bottom of the fermentation container and turns the malt sugars into alcohol. Ales use aerobic yeasts that float on top and require oxygen to eat sugars and piss out alcohol. Pilsners are lagers brewed with ale hops.

As a dedicated sot, I consider myself quite knowledgeable on the subject of beer and more importantly, ales. I do not consider myself an expert because that requires a daily, lifelong effort. I will state unashamedly that the vast majority of American microbrew ales are swill, made from the wrong yeast, hops and chlorinated tap water. I have yet to find an American ale that can stand beside a decent British quaff....Abbot Ale, Adnams, Fullers, etc. Exceptions are the Lagunitas line up (Undercover Investigation Shutdown Ale) and the Breckenridge Christmas Ale (a good facsimile of a British Old Ale).

We could argue all day but if you've never tasted a pint of Flowers or Ruddles County or Batemans...you simply cannot speak about the merits of American ales. It would be like saying Chinese MX bikes are really good.
Jrewing
11/21/2018 3:26am
Fact from us Cunts down under.

Vegemite is the yeast extracted from beer production.
That’s why we drink everyone under the table.
brycepdh
11/21/2018 6:02am
Deja New wrote:
Yeah the Furphy
11/21/2018 6:19am
Deja New wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/11/20/303803/s1200_7ADF83F6_737F_4BB0_BBFA_93CB257A785E.jpg[/img]

That's what IPAs taste like to me. I just cant understand why people drink them. They taste horrible IMO
fourfourone
11/21/2018 7:52am
ive always liked IPA's but the last year they have been giving me a gnarly hangover
TXDirt
11/21/2018 8:10am
IPA's and dark beers give me instant acid reflux. That's why I drink them very rarely.
Nighttrain
11/21/2018 10:41am
I’ve seasonal preferences. Cold weather is for stouts and brown ales...Abita Turbo Dog, Newcastle or Guinness. Any weather is a good time for a Chimay, though.
mx12boy
Fantasy
1706th
11/22/2018 3:44pm
Stouts and porters are my favorite year . I used to drink Watneys Cream Stout but have not been able to find it for years. Now it's Old Rasputian Imperial Russian Stout.

Post a reply to: Favorite type of beer? Pilsner, lager or.....?

The Latest