Falcon Heavy is about to launch (live webcast)

XXVoid MainXX
|
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
4/11/2019 3:36pm
Oh hell yeah! I opened the link at T-minus 0:05. Just in time!!!!
ns503
4/11/2019 3:44pm
That was very cool. And still is. Thanks for posting, caught it at t minus a minute.
plowboy
4/11/2019 3:49pm
I spend a lot of time butting heads with engineers but when they get shit right...it's pretty Damn cool.

The Shop

avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
4/11/2019 8:50pm
I don't know about you guys, but I certainly saw an ice wall.
DoctorJD
4/12/2019 7:19am
As many times as they've done it, it's still surreal watching the boosters descending and landing.

Anyone been keeping an eye on the Hopper's progress? They did a tethered test fire with one Raptor a couple of weeks ago.
tcannon521
Fantasy
1398th
4/12/2019 7:23am Edited Date/Time 4/12/2019 7:23am
The impressive thing is they are launching at a cost of 90 million compared to ULA’s Delta IV at 350 million.
JAFO92
4/12/2019 7:48am
Ole Musk wants to get in on that federal Mars Money.
XXVoid MainXX
4/12/2019 8:04am
DoctorJD wrote:
As many times as they've done it, it's still surreal watching the boosters descending and landing. Anyone been keeping an eye on the Hopper's progress? They...
As many times as they've done it, it's still surreal watching the boosters descending and landing.

Anyone been keeping an eye on the Hopper's progress? They did a tethered test fire with one Raptor a couple of weeks ago.
I've actually been keeping an eye on the live webcams which takes a lot of patience. Smile I think they're done for a little while and the next hop will probably have 3 raptor engines instead of 1, although Elon says it is difficult running the raptors at lower throttle settings so I'm not really sure how that's going to work out.
sleeve1
Fantasy
1921st
4/12/2019 8:33am
And there goes some more stuff I welded into space...
Pretty cool stuff. I've been in the Aerospace industry for a long time but this stuff never gets old.
Shawn142
4/12/2019 3:51pm
What they have accomplished has been awesome but it's not terrible fun to work for Elon. For a long time before the government stepped in and started enforcing labor laws it was mandatory 12 hour days.
tunedlength
4/12/2019 4:16pm
Shawn142 wrote:
What they have accomplished has been awesome but it's not terrible fun to work for Elon. For a long time before the government stepped in and...
What they have accomplished has been awesome but it's not terrible fun to work for Elon. For a long time before the government stepped in and started enforcing labor laws it was mandatory 12 hour days.
From talking to people that I know who work there, this was made clear from the beginning of their interview/hiring process.
Shawn142
4/12/2019 4:57pm Edited Date/Time 4/12/2019 5:00pm
From talking to people that I know who work there, this was made clear from the beginning of their interview/hiring process.
You're talking to one. I worked there for 3 years as part of the GSE fabrication group that built pads 39A, 40, and 4 in Vandenberg AFB. Yes it was covered to a degree, but there was definitely a culture of if you don't work 7 12s you don't belong here. Especially the days they couldn't make it mandatory and schedule dates were fast approaching. Even with pushing people like that we never once met one of the very optimistic completion dates on any project, ever. This was especially bad because I was there when we blew up 2 rockets in 2 years, one of them completely ruining our only active east coast pad. Times are better now, but it was pretty tense then. I'm not saying that's a bad thing. I did enjoy my time there and it was a cool thing to be a part of. But it wears on you physically and emotionally.
SEEMEFIRST
4/12/2019 5:27pm
I am now, but my limit is 5 in a row.
No contract or anything, I just told my boss that if he wants me here, 5's my limit.

So far, he's gone with it.
Shawn142
4/12/2019 5:40pm
I hear you, as an hourly guy I've spent most of my adult life working overtime and weekends. I still do now working for Lockheed. It wasn't always fantastic working in direct sun through Florida weather during that time. But hey, I was well paid for it. I made more than pretty much any 2 engineers combined thanks to all the OT and per diem.

SpaceX was an extra special breed of intense though. A big part of my job was precision measurement and machining, and there wasn't a QA following behind to double check everything. You had to do it right the first time in crunch time, often somewhere between 30 and 60 feet up in the air on some shaky scaffolding or man-lift bucket. If it didn't all fit together with everything else when assembled it wasn't pretty.
plowboy
4/12/2019 6:30pm
Shawn142 wrote:
I hear you, as an hourly guy I've spent most of my adult life working overtime and weekends. I still do now working for Lockheed. It...
I hear you, as an hourly guy I've spent most of my adult life working overtime and weekends. I still do now working for Lockheed. It wasn't always fantastic working in direct sun through Florida weather during that time. But hey, I was well paid for it. I made more than pretty much any 2 engineers combined thanks to all the OT and per diem.

SpaceX was an extra special breed of intense though. A big part of my job was precision measurement and machining, and there wasn't a QA following behind to double check everything. You had to do it right the first time in crunch time, often somewhere between 30 and 60 feet up in the air on some shaky scaffolding or man-lift bucket. If it didn't all fit together with everything else when assembled it wasn't pretty.
Schedule trumps safety and quality every day of the week. I've worked in the aircraft industry for many years. I jokingly say, "We build 2 aircraft for every customer...the first one is in the scrap bin". I can say truthfully that NO ONE is clear minded working 80-100 hours a week. I've done it for years at a time...it's totally counter productive.
XXVoid MainXX
4/13/2019 6:14am
Here's my take on Musk being hard to work for. I truly believe we have a real visionary capable of changing the future of humanity in significant ways. Maybe even more significant than Edison. Edison had a similar work ethic. I imagine that to change the course of humanity significantly in a short amount of time you're going to need the best talent we have and they need to be committed to the goals and willing to put in the work necessary.

I wish I were younger and smarter because I would like to be a part of that. All I can do at this point is stand on the sidelines and cheer you guys on. I stand in awe of your accomplishments so far and am excited about where they are taking us.

Post a reply to: Falcon Heavy is about to launch (live webcast)

The Latest