Facts Dont Matter

Edited Date/Time 4/26/2019 10:18pm
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/02/27/why-facts-dont-change-our…

Interesting, fun, article.

I always thought the invention of the internet would be so cool because the answer to every debate was at the touch of our fingertips. Idiots would no longer be able to run unchecked.

Then social media happened and it proved in a roundabout way that facts only matter when they support your argument.

Weird fucking species we are.
|
plowboy
4/19/2019 7:58pm
What social media has really shown is that the approx 8 billion people on earth have such vastly different opinions on every subject that we are almost different species. Not knowing how different we think/feel about stuff may not have been such a bad thing.
plowboy
4/19/2019 8:11pm
Hey fugger...I'm pretty average. Even penis size...I'm hung like an average muleWoohoo .
akillerwombat
4/19/2019 8:14pm Edited Date/Time 4/19/2019 8:17pm
Social Media was created by people who didn’t fit into society.

And now we all live in a space that is an unsocial persons idea of society.

Sockingly; it’s making us less capiable of functioning properly in actual society.
plowboy
4/19/2019 8:33pm
Social Media was created by people who didn’t fit into society. And now we all live in a space that is an unsocial persons idea of...

Sockingly; it’s making us less capiable of functioning properly in actual society.
See, I told everyone you were a smart feller.

The Shop

reded
4/19/2019 8:45pm
Social Media was created by people who didn’t fit into society. And now we all live in a space that is an unsocial persons idea of...

I disagree with a large number of your contributions but that, sir, is pure gold.
4/19/2019 8:49pm

I dont blame anything on social media. It’s just a window into what already existed.
Deja New
4/19/2019 9:11pm
Don’t let the truth get in the way of a good story.
plowboy
4/19/2019 9:14pm
Deja New wrote:
Don’t let the truth get in the way of a good story.
Never tell the truth when a perfectly good lie will work.
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
4/20/2019 11:29am Edited Date/Time 4/20/2019 11:29am
Gave us everything we wanted but took away all that we need.
JM485
4/20/2019 12:17pm
Social media is great if you use it correctly, so many opportunities are available from it and it’s easier than ever before for the everyday person to reach large audiences and create a path for themselves. Some choose to use it in negative ways, but I’ve met a ton of great people from it and grown my riding circle massively just from connecting with people on there or even staying in touch with them after meeting in person. It’s very rare that I ride by myself anywhere because I know someone from damn near anywhere I’ve ridden prior. It’s a lot easier for me to meet people on there because I’m extremely introverted and shy in person (I had a tough period in public school as a kid and never really got fully past it), so it’s a lot easier for me to talk with people at first over social media rather than in person. Once I know someone a bit I’m totally fine, but I’m definitely never going to be the one to initiate a conversation with a random person.

I do follow some political accounts but if they start becoming too rediculous or negative I just unfollow, I like to stay informed not constantly get bombarded with BS or negative news. We also get a much greater glimps into the lives of those we look to for inspiration (probably pro moto guys for most here), and we can learn from the things they do as well as just get a better idea of who they really are as a person. It can be tough sometimes because everyone’s life is perfect on social media, but you just have to keep in mind that nobody wants to post about crappy stuff that would just bum people out, and a lot of people unfortunately try to live vicariously through it and project an image that’s just not true to reality.

I guess my point is it’s really what you make it. Yes it’s hard not to get sucked into arguments with trolls and negative people sometimes, but if you follow and interact with the right people there’s no reason it can’t be a positive thing. I pretty much just post riding stuff because I enjoy it and I enjoy seeing other people’s stuff as well, so I don’t really see any harm in it.
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
4/20/2019 2:02pm
I though For Sure this was gonna be political.
With the resent Mueller report, it definitely supports your opinion that Facts dont matter. In fact i would say its a fact.
4/20/2019 2:10pm Edited Date/Time 4/20/2019 2:12pm
I believe the only thing social media added to the already existing situation is that people are far more polarized than ever before.

Younger generations have always progressively been more open to new concepts/philosophy/etc.

But for the first time with Millennials & the next generation we’re seeing a huge step back. I find these groups to be incredibly myopic. The socratic method is completely foreign to them. The correlation is that they grew up in the social media era. Where either echo chambers form or fox holes are dug. Very rarely does anyone (of any generation) seek to debate with the intent of seeking truth & resolution.

Which brings us back to the studies in the article. Reason & logic were developed for the need to build social structure, not as a survival mechanism for actually seeking out truth. It is merely a function of trying to get along with your neighbors.

Which is why it is interesting that both reason & logic are irrelevant when settling social media disputes. Nobody ever actually has to meet face to face. Nobody actually has to try & get along. Accountability (and thus logic/reason) are steps of the social process that never get reached because quite frankly, they’re not necessary in this medium.

Without accountability or true settlement of a disagreement, the social structure is in a constant state of arrested development. Social media truly might be the lowest form of communication as a result of our natural aversion to accountability.

It’s like two members here bench racing versus each other, yet never meeting up to actually settle the debate of who is faster.

Those studies would argue tho, that even while in defeat at the racetrack, the avg human will still avoid logic & reason in explaining their loss. The only time humility is shown is when it’s forced/necessary for survival.

That is fascinating. And points to just what a dysfunctionally shitty species we are.
4/20/2019 7:42pm
None of those things you listed are what determines if something is social media or not.

Forum boards are a form a social media. It just happens to be a format you prefer.
4/20/2019 7:54pm
Tarz483 wrote:
I though For Sure this was gonna be political. With the resent Mueller report, it definitely supports your opinion that Facts dont matter. In fact i...
With the resent Mueller report, it definitely supports your opinion that Facts dont matter. In fact i would say its a fact.
It's not my opinion. The studies pretty clearly show it's a fact that facts dont matter once an opinion has been formed.

I think your Mueller reference is perfect. No matter what that report said not a single conservative or liberal was going to change their stance. In fact, everyone has just "dug in" harder. That's what those studies already proved would happen and sure enough here we are.

The irony is that logic & reason are functions of co-existing. Yet when we're not forced to co-exist yet still share the same space then a shitshow ensues. Social Media is one form. Our country as a whole is another.

SCR
4/20/2019 8:32pm
I'm not the only one that sees the crazy irony of the smug confirmation bias the author used to write this article am I ?
APLMAN99
4/21/2019 7:38am
SCR wrote:
I'm not the only one that sees the crazy irony of the smug confirmation bias the author used to write this article am I ?
Nope
borg
4/21/2019 8:40am
SCR wrote:
APLMAN99 wrote:
Nope
It proves the point that nobody can claim exemption from confirmation bias.
4/21/2019 11:55am Edited Date/Time 4/21/2019 11:55am
Tarz483 wrote:
I though For Sure this was gonna be political. With the resent Mueller report, it definitely supports your opinion that Facts dont matter. In fact i...
It's not my opinion. The studies pretty clearly show it's a fact that facts dont matter once an opinion has been formed. I think your Mueller...
It's not my opinion. The studies pretty clearly show it's a fact that facts dont matter once an opinion has been formed.

I think your Mueller reference is perfect. No matter what that report said not a single conservative or liberal was going to change their stance. In fact, everyone has just "dug in" harder. That's what those studies already proved would happen and sure enough here we are.

The irony is that logic & reason are functions of co-existing. Yet when we're not forced to co-exist yet still share the same space then a shitshow ensues. Social Media is one form. Our country as a whole is another.

Yea the female that accuses a man of rape...,only to redact that accusation and declare it false 3 days later still leave a man being known forever as a rapist.
4/21/2019 11:54pm
I understood what you said. You didnt understand what you said. What you said was contradictory to your participation in this social media known as a forum board.

What I dont understand is how someone can be against "social justice". Since when is social justice a bad thing?

It is defined as a concept of fair and just relations between the individual and society.

Are you saying you dont want equality? Does that mean you're against the Constitution? Do you hate America?

Do you also not understand what you're saying when you claim to dislike "following" on social media yet you admit you follow my posts here so you can downvote them?

Do you also not understand what you're saying when you can claim this is a moto forum when in fact it's titled "Non-Moto"?

I think it's pretty evident that you dont know at all what YOU are saying. Which probably means you dont know what you're reading either. Is English your second language?

Not that facts matter after all.
hard2kill
4/22/2019 8:49am
SCR wrote:
APLMAN99 wrote:
Nope
borg wrote:
It proves the point that nobody can claim exemption from confirmation bias.
Is that a fact?
4/22/2019 9:37am
You dont know the definition of social media. And you dont know the definition of social justice.

And despite me posting the literal definition, you think Im the ignorant one.

FACTS DONT MATTER! ?
SCR
4/22/2019 5:28pm
I understood what you said. You didnt understand what you said. What you said was contradictory to your participation in this social media known as a...
I understood what you said. You didnt understand what you said. What you said was contradictory to your participation in this social media known as a forum board.

What I dont understand is how someone can be against "social justice". Since when is social justice a bad thing?

It is defined as a concept of fair and just relations between the individual and society.

Are you saying you dont want equality? Does that mean you're against the Constitution? Do you hate America?

Do you also not understand what you're saying when you claim to dislike "following" on social media yet you admit you follow my posts here so you can downvote them?

Do you also not understand what you're saying when you can claim this is a moto forum when in fact it's titled "Non-Moto"?

I think it's pretty evident that you dont know at all what YOU are saying. Which probably means you dont know what you're reading either. Is English your second language?

Not that facts matter after all.
The Constitution doesn't guarantee or promise equality of any kind other than equal protection of laws. No guarantee of equal opportunity or access to anything.
BMSOBx2
4/22/2019 6:43pm
SCR wrote:
The Constitution doesn't guarantee or promise equality of any kind other than equal protection of laws. No guarantee of equal opportunity or access to anything.
You're right Constitution doesn't guarantee equal rights. I guess we'll just ignore that silly little thing called the Declaration of Independence wherein its states "all men are created equal".
SCR
4/22/2019 11:55pm
SCR wrote:
BMSOBx2 wrote:
You're right Constitution doesn't guarantee equal rights. I guess we'll just ignore that silly little thing called the Declaration of Independence wherein its states "all men...
You're right Constitution doesn't guarantee equal rights. I guess we'll just ignore that silly little thing called the Declaration of Independence wherein its states "all men are created equal".
We hold these truths to be self evident, That all men are created equal, That they are endowed by their Creator with cetain unalienable rights, That among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happines.

It's a really bold and powerful document, especially the full text in context with what was happening. Probably where the phrase " My God given right" came from.

APLMAN99
4/23/2019 6:00am
SCR wrote:
BMSOBx2 wrote:
You're right Constitution doesn't guarantee equal rights. I guess we'll just ignore that silly little thing called the Declaration of Independence wherein its states "all men...
SCR wrote:
We hold these truths to be self evident, That all men are created equal, That they are endowed by their Creator with cetain unalienable rights, That...
We hold these truths to be self evident, That all men are created equal, That they are endowed by their Creator with cetain unalienable rights, That among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happines.

It's a really bold and powerful document, especially the full text in context with what was happening. Probably where the phrase " My God given right" came from.

It would have really been bold and powerful if it had been referring to all people, and if it hadn't been followed up by a document that codified some men as being worth 3/5 of another.......

Interesting that a lot of people also wouldn't want to extend those same "God given" rights to every human, but rather only those who are born as or naturalized citizens.
borg
4/23/2019 8:40am
Those of us who don't believe we have anything "God given" may be the only ones that also understand that you have no rights. It's an illusion. You have nothing more than revocable privileges. Also, nothing in the Declaration is binding in law. Just like the inscription on the Statue of Liberty or the preamble to the Constitution.
BMSOBx2
4/23/2019 8:59am
borg wrote:
Those of us who don't believe we have anything "God given" may be the only ones that also understand that you have no rights. It's an...
Those of us who don't believe we have anything "God given" may be the only ones that also understand that you have no rights. It's an illusion. You have nothing more than revocable privileges. Also, nothing in the Declaration is binding in law. Just like the inscription on the Statue of Liberty or the preamble to the Constitution.
Sad but true.
Casting
4/23/2019 9:11am
borg wrote:
Those of us who don't believe we have anything "God given" may be the only ones that also understand that you have no rights. It's an...
Anyone who disagrees with this can search Japanese American's in the 1940s to see how "rights" are nothing more than temporary privileges.

Also, courts guarantee justice under the law, not "social justice" which seems to be seeking equality of outcome. Justice does not need a modifier - not social justice, environmental justice, simply justice - that is all that is needed.

Sierra Ranger
4/23/2019 11:59am
I read another piece by this writer that left me amazed at her narrow-minded, conformist thinking (about "conspiracy theories" and basically anybody that questioned anything at all the mainstream media reports is "crazy.")

Post a reply to: Facts Dont Matter

The Latest