FORD F-150 Electric

Moto Nomad
Edited Date/Time 6/10/2021 10:41am
What do you all think of this thing? It can supposedly power your home if there is an outage. Price around $50k. Looks like it might be a game-changer. 300 miles of range and 10k lb. towing capacity.

Poll

FORD F-150 LIghting

Choices
|
Bromley686
5/20/2021 2:07pm
I like the video I watched on it. Seems like it could be a great every day truck for around town. But all I could think is what a nightmare a camping/fishing trip would be with trying to recharge. I like to make good time on the road and the recharge times make that impossible. Plus being in the middle of nowhere and having to head down the mountain just to get a charge. I think I’ll be waiting to go electric until they figure out a solar roof system or something.
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
5/20/2021 2:20pm
A crew cab half ton with standard 4wd and starts at $40k is a good deal considering itll never need gas or an oil change every 5k miles.
My biggest beef is its only being offered in the crew cab 5.5' bed configuration right now. And Im not fan of IRS on a truck.
I won't be buying one but it'll be a great option for some people. That "frunk" is awesome. Great place to throw the stinky gear bag and gas can. Safe from rain and sticky fingers but not stinking up the cab. The extended battery would get me to most tracks I venture to, power the 12 volt fridge all day, and get me back home with some charge left over.
skeef
Fantasy
1421st
5/20/2021 2:21pm
The new gas f-150 has some sort of generator system in it where you can power a trailer right? Similar tech I wonder. Still a ford so I'll wait for the superior non tin can GM Wink

The Shop

Falcon
Fantasy
798th
5/20/2021 3:17pm
I'll have to see real-world performance figures for the thing, but I'm all about an electric truck. If Toyota makes an electric Tacoma, it's game over.
crowe660
Fantasy
4049th
5/20/2021 3:23pm
I read an article awhile back about a Canadian company that was working on an F150 electric conversion kit, I think based on the lightening tech, that you could get for your ICE F-150. So I’d imagine we’ll see some E-Raptors!
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
5/20/2021 6:08pm
Falcon wrote:
I'll have to see real-world performance figures for the thing, but I'm all about an electric truck. If Toyota makes an electric Tacoma, it's game over.
How many Prius mini trucks could thy have sold by now if they made them ? Prius truck with a 7 foot long bed and ultra low bed height ? . Sign me up for two.
Bromley686
5/20/2021 6:35pm
sumdood wrote:
How many Prius mini trucks could thy have sold by now if they made them ? Prius truck with a 7 foot long bed and ultra...
How many Prius mini trucks could thy have sold by now if they made them ? Prius truck with a 7 foot long bed and ultra low bed height ? . Sign me up for two.
I admit I am a prius hater. But you can sign me up for one of those as well.
early
Fantasy
2212th
5/21/2021 6:52am
sumdood wrote:
How many Prius mini trucks could thy have sold by now if they made them ? Prius truck with a 7 foot long bed and ultra...
Back when they made the Prius V which was a wagon instead of hatchback they could have stretched the roofline to make it similar to the ford transit connect. Would have been a good light service and courier vehicle at almost 50mpg city.

I'd bet 75% of all electric trucks sold between now and 2030 will be the top luxury trim level and won't tow anything heavier then 2 jet skis.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
5/21/2021 9:29am
sumdood wrote:
Bromley686 wrote:
I admit I am a prius hater. But you can sign me up for one of those as well.
So far, there's four of those electric Tacomas sold. One for me, one for Bromley, and two for Sumdood. Who's next?
JM485
5/21/2021 5:17pm
Falcon wrote:
sumdood wrote:
I’ve been saying something similar for years. Just imagine if Tesla would have came out with a small, bare essentials work truck with good performance and a long range, they’d be swimming in cash right now. Hell, look at the prices old rangers and Tacomas go for, the market is literally slapping auto executives on the head and they’re too stupid to see it.

I have no use for a full sized truck that seats 4 people and can make me coffee, but I’ve got a lot of use for a smaller one that’s simple and has great range.
SEE ARE125
5/21/2021 6:06pm
Haven’t done much digging, but at first glance it appears the Cybertruck wins* every category except looks, Ford blows them away. Maybe I’ll come around to the Tesla if it’s painted.

*Comparing the tri-motor top of the line Tesla, which is $20k less than Ford’s top tier F-150. At least with Tesla the price increases get you performance/range increases and not just “Platinum” badges with heated/cooled pedals for driving barefoot or some nonsense.
mx617
5/21/2021 11:29pm
I like the idea of having a 240v charger built in. Good for charging your bike between motor.
akmx17
5/22/2021 6:53am
All about it, gonna reserve one Monday.
I drive maybe 20 miles on a bad day (small town, i live 3 miles from work), so pretty stoked for this.
I got a box van for anything moto, so this is cool to me, i hate how they called it a lightning feels like they spit on their heritage.
5/22/2021 7:37am
Not there yet but close. Range and towing will improve, I'm not an early adapter but I could definitely see myself getting a 2nd or 3rd Gen electric truck 2022 Tundra is supposed to be available in v6 twin turbo and hybrid.
Bromley686
5/22/2021 2:32pm
akmx17 wrote:
All about it, gonna reserve one Monday. I drive maybe 20 miles on a bad day (small town, i live 3 miles from work), so pretty...
I drive maybe 20 miles on a bad day (small town, i live 3 miles from work), so pretty stoked for this.
I got a box van for anything moto, so this is cool to me, i hate how they called it a lightning feels like they spit on their heritage.
Ford doesn’t care about heritage. Look at the Mustang Mach E 🥴
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
5/22/2021 8:29pm
akmx17 wrote:
All about it, gonna reserve one Monday. I drive maybe 20 miles on a bad day (small town, i live 3 miles from work), so pretty...
Bromley686 wrote:
Ford doesn’t care about heritage. Look at the Mustang Mach E 🥴
😢🤮
5/23/2021 6:29pm Edited Date/Time 5/23/2021 6:30pm
There just isn't enough electric charging infrastructure in place for me to get on board with this stuff just yet. As of right now, gas is freedom to go anywhere, fill up immediately no matter how remote the area, and continue on your way for another 350+ miles. With electric you have to plan out your route and make sure where you are going will have electric charging stations. I don't want to have to think about if the place I'm driving to in middle Tennessee will have an electric charging station or not, and if not, where I have to go to 'charge up'. Maybe in ten years that will be a thing of the past, but I'll be sticking with ICE for awhile.
Robgvx
5/24/2021 11:25am
I have a plug-in hybrid Range Rover. It has just a 30 mile electric-only range (which is fine for my local journeys) and then Petrol/gas after that. It’s perfect for me as I virtually always use electric, but can go as far as I like on gas if I need to.

I have a 7kw charger (the fastest that you can have on single phase 240v). It charges in a couple of hours, which is fine. However that’s only 30 miles-worth. If it was full electric with a 300 mile range that would be 20 hours on a fast home charger. That’s far too inconvenient. So is planning journeys with stopovers at ultra-high speed charging stations.

So I can’t ever see myself going full electric.
Stuntman949
5/25/2021 7:23am
Father in law was all-in until he realized he would have to rewire his old house.

Brother in law backed out of the Bronco and switched his efforts to this. He's a complainer so we will see his real life review when its out.
mxtech1
5/25/2021 10:02am
There just isn't enough electric charging infrastructure in place for me to get on board with this stuff just yet. As of right now, gas is...
There just isn't enough electric charging infrastructure in place for me to get on board with this stuff just yet. As of right now, gas is freedom to go anywhere, fill up immediately no matter how remote the area, and continue on your way for another 350+ miles. With electric you have to plan out your route and make sure where you are going will have electric charging stations. I don't want to have to think about if the place I'm driving to in middle Tennessee will have an electric charging station or not, and if not, where I have to go to 'charge up'. Maybe in ten years that will be a thing of the past, but I'll be sticking with ICE for awhile.
How often are you honestly making continuous 300+ mile trips in your pickup truck?

99% of your mileage is going to come from daily driving when you are home each evening and can charge over night.
APLMAN99
5/25/2021 10:32am
There just isn't enough electric charging infrastructure in place for me to get on board with this stuff just yet. As of right now, gas is...
mxtech1 wrote:
How often are you honestly making continuous 300+ mile trips in your pickup truck? 99% of your mileage is going to come from daily driving when...
How often are you honestly making continuous 300+ mile trips in your pickup truck?

99% of your mileage is going to come from daily driving when you are home each evening and can charge over night.
True. I think that for our family, we'd ideally have a couple of cheap electric "around town" cars and possibly one ICE car for longer trips. We do a fair amount of 100+ mile round trips because we are in a more rural area, but ideally we would use electricity for our commuting to work and such. And with electricity at $.03 per kwh, it would be 'practically free' to drive other than the expense of the vehicle itself.

I know a guy who bought a used Nissan Leaf for commuting and it is ideal for that but he purchased it from a seller in Seattle. The range of the Leaf that he bought was too low to actually make the drive over the mountain passes so he had to trailer it home. But once he was able to do that, it's been a great deal for him. He went from driving his Chevy 2500HD 4WD Crew to the Leaf and it's worked out really well so far.
BMR179
Fantasy
1263rd
5/26/2021 6:50am
mxtech1 wrote:
How often are you honestly making continuous 300+ mile trips in your pickup truck? 99% of your mileage is going to come from daily driving when...

It's not so much the 300 mile trip, but the towing of a trailer. I tow a 14' cargo trailer with bikes and gear when going to ride and get around 10mpg from my F150 ecoboost. Over one third of the miles on my truck are towing miles. An EV is not in the cards for me until faster charging and good infrastructure are in place. Not sure how many miles an EV will go on a full charge with trailer in tow, so "charge anxiety" would be a thing.

Post a reply to: FORD F-150 Electric

The Latest