Exposing a brick wall

Edited Date/Time 2/25/2018 5:51pm
I’m exposing a brick wall in my rental property in STL. First time doing this. Anyone else ever do this ? And what advice could anyone give me. Eight hours and eight beers on my day off yesterday and I made it this far. What do you think?

|
2/22/2018 9:01am
So what's the end-game with this, 2smoker? Going to expose that gorgeous brick throughout? Personally, I really like it. That's a nice brick.

Side note: if that brick is as old as I think it is, you could tear that place down and sell that brick for a lot of money. People pay a premium for stuff like that.
OldYZRider1
2/22/2018 9:44am
I’m exposing a brick wall in my rental property in STL. First time doing this. Anyone else ever do this ? And what advice could anyone...
I’m exposing a brick wall in my rental property in STL. First time doing this. Anyone else ever do this ? And what advice could anyone give me. Eight hours and eight beers on my day off yesterday and I made it this far. What do you think?

Grinding out and tuck-pointing damaged mortar joints is a tedious and dusty process if any is required. Otherwise it can look really good if cleaned up and sealed. The dust can be difficult to contain if there's adjacent tenants to be concerned about.
2/22/2018 10:43am
So what's the end-game with this, 2smoker? Going to expose that gorgeous brick throughout? Personally, I really like it. That's a nice brick. Side note: if...
So what's the end-game with this, 2smoker? Going to expose that gorgeous brick throughout? Personally, I really like it. That's a nice brick.

Side note: if that brick is as old as I think it is, you could tear that place down and sell that brick for a lot of money. People pay a premium for stuff like that.
Just doing the two walls to give it a little pop. Built in 1926. It’s a two family unit, 1bed 1 bath. Top and lower units. About a 1000 square foot each. I’ve had it for ten years. Lots of work. It was a shit hole when I bought it, now it’s a nice shit hole. Woohoo

The Shop

2/22/2018 12:10pm
Hipsters gonna be lined up for days trying to rent that space out !

That is really appealing to the eye though. My wife would love that in our house. If she knew there were brick like that she’d have me strip the entire place.
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
662nd
2/22/2018 6:30pm
Shit! now you have to fix the ceiling and around the windows. Which is the reason that most people that do remove plaster do not remove it all but go for an artistic look more than a solid clean look of either surface. Like in your second picture by the door, you could leave places like where the plaster is not removed (especially around the windows) and make it a mix texture look. For instance, a restaurant in our area, did the same thing but left a figure of the state of West Virginia standing in plaster. I think there is a bear, maybe some flowers. One place there is a squirrel. It looks kind of neat, artsy and they didn't have to go back and repair sections. For a house or apartment, you could have left places like by the door in the second pic and it would have looked great and you wouldn't have to go back and fix places.
Deja New
2/23/2018 2:57am
Love the look of rustic brick. When I do work like this I get more beer a mask and a pastry bag to put morter in to full the gaps next to the windows makes life a little easier.
fill it up and squeeze it in the holes a wire brush on an angle grinder or drill can help clean them up too is quite dusty though.

And it looks great so far just keep going.
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1154th
2/23/2018 3:52am
Nothing to add, just drunk. It reminded me of Marks Monster Garage thread on Garage Journal.

71Fish
2/25/2018 5:50pm
I like the look of partially exposed brick like in the first picture.

Post a reply to: Exposing a brick wall

The Latest