Excavation Contractor Advice Needed - Central NJ

DPR250R
Hoping someone can offer advice.

Looking to extend my backyard. It backs up to an area that is wet every spring so it will have to be built up. I do not think a retaining wall will be necessary.

I do not need any actual earth removed... need truckloads brought in and leveled. My guess would be 30-40 trucks.

This would be work an excavation contractor would tackle correct? Can anyone recommed someone in Somerset county NJ?
|
SEE ARE125
5/3/2018 8:42pm
Look for local job sites and ask if they have any CLEAN fill dirt they want to get rid of. Most of those guys are looking for somewhere close by to dump excess dirt. The closer the better for them because they can get more loads moved in less time with less trucks/fuel than having to haul it further away. I did the opposite a few years ago and had around 400 loads hauled out. Found a few neighbors who wanted low spots filled in. It usually takes a lot more dirt than you’d expect, one guy had a low area that didn’t look that big and it took 100 loads to get him leveled off.

A couple of tips; Make sure they spread it around and compact it as they dump it, otherwise you’ll have some settling after a few years and probably need it releveled. If this is a low spot where rain runoff and water collects(it sounds like it), you’ll have to find somewhere else for that runoff to go. The excavation company can help you come up with a plan based on your site, but be careful about diverting the runoff to neighboring properties. The last thing you want is to have a neighbor come over after the first heavy rain and say their basement is flooded because of the runoff from your property.
DPR250R
5/4/2018 6:46pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:
Look for local job sites and ask if they have any CLEAN fill dirt they want to get rid of. Most of those guys are looking...
Look for local job sites and ask if they have any CLEAN fill dirt they want to get rid of. Most of those guys are looking for somewhere close by to dump excess dirt. The closer the better for them because they can get more loads moved in less time with less trucks/fuel than having to haul it further away. I did the opposite a few years ago and had around 400 loads hauled out. Found a few neighbors who wanted low spots filled in. It usually takes a lot more dirt than you’d expect, one guy had a low area that didn’t look that big and it took 100 loads to get him leveled off.

A couple of tips; Make sure they spread it around and compact it as they dump it, otherwise you’ll have some settling after a few years and probably need it releveled. If this is a low spot where rain runoff and water collects(it sounds like it), you’ll have to find somewhere else for that runoff to go. The excavation company can help you come up with a plan based on your site, but be careful about diverting the runoff to neighboring properties. The last thing you want is to have a neighbor come over after the first heavy rain and say their basement is flooded because of the runoff from your property.
Great advice... appreciate it!
SEEMEFIRST
5/6/2018 8:00am
If you're within a city limits, they might require you to get an impact study by a civil engineering firm to do it legally.

Better to find that out up front than to have to undo it all after the fact.
DPR250R
5/23/2018 4:35pm
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
If you're within a city limits, they might require you to get an impact study by a civil engineering firm to do it legally. Better to...
If you're within a city limits, they might require you to get an impact study by a civil engineering firm to do it legally.

Better to find that out up front than to have to undo it all after the fact.
Thanks for the insights!!

Finally got a guy over who is confident he can do the work. Numbers he was throwing out seemed reasonable.

Other guys wont call me back or said eff it and told me to move. Lol

The Shop

IWreckALot
5/24/2018 8:02am
DPR250R wrote:
Thanks for the insights!! Finally got a guy over who is confident he can do the work. Numbers he was throwing out seemed reasonable. Other guys...
Thanks for the insights!!

Finally got a guy over who is confident he can do the work. Numbers he was throwing out seemed reasonable.

Other guys wont call me back or said eff it and told me to move. Lol
Isn't it annoying when people offer advice you didn't seek.

The question was if they could do the job or not. Not, should I do this or move. Lol.

You may call the pool excavators in your area. Don't call the pool companies themselves, but call the guys doing the dig work. They are always looking for people who will take fill. If they have local jobs going on, they'll bring it over to your house for free. It would admittedly take some time to get 30-40 trucks full. I think they pulled about 4 or 5 truck loads out of my pool.
DPR250R
5/24/2018 7:36pm
IWreckALot wrote:
Isn't it annoying when people offer advice you didn't seek. The question was if they could do the job or not. Not, should I do this...
Isn't it annoying when people offer advice you didn't seek.

The question was if they could do the job or not. Not, should I do this or move. Lol.

You may call the pool excavators in your area. Don't call the pool companies themselves, but call the guys doing the dig work. They are always looking for people who will take fill. If they have local jobs going on, they'll bring it over to your house for free. It would admittedly take some time to get 30-40 trucks full. I think they pulled about 4 or 5 truck loads out of my pool.
Yes... this is exactly the guy I got a hold of. Funny thing is I have met him a couple times but didn't know what he did for a living. His daughter is in my sons class.

Came over... gave me a couple options. "Free" dirt from excavation sites (pools, foundations) that will have rocks in it or screened fill which will cost a bit.

Now... I gotta have the balls to say.. lets do it! It's about the same as realtor fees to move so it's literally shit or get off the pot.

Post a reply to: Excavation Contractor Advice Needed - Central NJ

The Latest