Ethics

Related:
Create New Tag

2/27/2009 9:39 PM

I've decided that the problems that we have today in the world, are mostly (if not all) based on lack of ethics.

It's the difference between making a living, and earning a living.

It's the difference between tolerance, and acceptance.

It's a matter of knowing the difference between what you want and what you need.

It's all pretty simple.

Flame away...

|

Ask not what your country can do for you, unless you can afford a lobbyist.

2/27/2009 9:41 PM

It's about doing the right thing when no one is looking.

|

"When the choice is Better than Bush or Worse than Carter you have to throw out the standards" - Randy S

2/27/2009 9:42 PM

MXMatt wrote:

Exactly.

|

2/27/2009 9:43 PM

I couldn't agree more.

|

Jim Martin

2/27/2009 9:44 PM

Very few have any now. Look at the Banking and Insurance industries. I totally agree.

|

"Cheezus"

2/27/2009 9:45 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/16/2016 10:41 PM

I hate to sound hokey or use "buzz" words, however, loss of family values plays a big role in everything you said...

|

Usually you pay double for that kind of action, Cotton.

2/27/2009 9:50 PM

We as a society worship the Dollar Bill.

|

"Cheezus"

2/27/2009 9:55 PM

life is a race the scorecard is the bank statement.

|

2/27/2009 9:55 PM

Some worship real cash money....but most worship that magnetic strip on the back of their plastic cards without regard to the bill that will inevitably follow after a good worshipen session.

|

2/27/2009 9:57 PM

jonjon714 wrote:

I hate to sound hokey or use "buzz" words, however, loss of family values plays a big role in everything you said...

"Family values" covers a lot of ground.

All the world is your family.

If "family values" at your house are different than "family values" at my house, can you still accept my family as your peers?

|

2/27/2009 9:59 PM

MXMatt wrote:

motogeezer wrote:

Exactly.

So why in the hell is it so hard for people to do?

I remember about 10 years ago in AZ we had the Alternative Fuels mess. Basically, a loop hole allowed thousands of AZ's to purchase pretty much whatever vehical they wanted at about half it's cost as long as they outfitted it with an alternative fuel capacity. My wife and I discussed it at length and would love to have benefitted from the situation since we learned of it early on and long before it became a financial disaster for our state. I simply said to her, "How is it right for us to expect my neighbors and fellow Arizonans to pay for half of a new Tahoe for us?" That was all it took. We sat out and watch as many of our friends dove headlong into the opportunity only to come up on the short end of the stick when the psuedo "Ponzy Sceme" collapsed about 2 years later. Doing the right thing is sometimes very hard, but it is a test of who we really are and ultimately affects those around us. Had bankers, loan officers, representatives, presidents, and citizens alike asked themselves questions like these, it is a real possibilty we would not be in such a mess.

|

"When the choice is Better than Bush or Worse than Carter you have to throw out the standards" - Randy S

2/27/2009 10:04 PM

jonjon714 wrote:

motogeezer wrote:

If "family values" at your house are different than "family values" at my house, can you still accept my family as your peers?

Absolutely

|

Jim Martin

2/27/2009 10:04 PM

jonjon714 wrote:

motogeezer wrote:

I guess I'm thinking most of what you said needs to taught at home first.

Respect
Tolerance
Hard Work
Taking pride in your work
Responsibility
Respecting and taking care of what you own
Trust and Honesty
Take care of yourself and don't rely on others to
Needs vs. nice to haves vs. want just because
Respecting others thoughts and beliefs
Keeping up with the Jone's lessons
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.

And I agree the whole world is our family. We can do a lot better across the board.

|

2/27/2009 10:13 PM

jonjon714 wrote:

Respect
Tolerance
Hard Work
Responsibility
Trust and Honesty
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.

And I agree the whole world is our family. We can do a lot better across the board.

Out of all that you posted, trust and honesty are, to me, are the most important.

Honesty earns trust.

Being honest to yourself is the most important of all.

|

2/27/2009 10:41 PM

I wouldnt have the job I do if I cared about being rich, having everything I wanted, etc.

I like what I do and make enough to sleep in a bed, eat a decent meal every night, and have a car to get around.

I'd say I'm luckier than a ton of folks out there. The money that some folks spend on frivolous material BS just kills me.

|

2/27/2009 10:54 PM

kdx man wrote:

I wouldnt have the job I do if I cared about being rich, having everything I wanted, etc.

I like what I do and make enough to sleep in a bed, eat a decent meal every night, and have a car to get around.

I'd say I'm luckier than a ton of folks out there. The money that some folks spend on frivolous material BS just kills me.

It's not luck.

You've earned what you have, and you don't take it for granted.

Kudos for that.

|

2/27/2009 10:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/16/2016 10:41 PM

Ethics have gone out of style and materialism reigns supreme.

Whereas, for centuries, religions kept the masses in check ... the relatively recent collapse of organized religions has left us in a state of freefall ... where many have given in to their worst impulses.

The next step in the evolution of mankind would be for people to "do the right thing" ... not out of fear of divine retribution in an afterlife .... but simply because one knows that it is the "right thing to do".

Unfortunately, this won't happen overnight.

It is truly ironic that even as our ethics are collapsing, there has actually been a surge in religious fundamentalism in many parts of the world. Which just shows how screwed up we are as a species.

|

2/27/2009 11:06 PM

race wrote:

Ethics have gone out of style and materialism reigns supreme.

Whereas, for centuries, religions kept the masses in check ... the relatively recent collapse of organized religions has left us in a state of freefall ... where many have given in to their worst impulses.

The next step in the evolution of mankind would be for people to "do the right thing" ... not out of fear of divine retribution in an afterlife .... but simply because one knows that it is the "right thing to do".

Unfortunately, this won't happen overnight.

It is truly ironic that even as our ethics are collapsing, there has actually been a surge in religious fundamentalism in many parts of the world. Which just shows how screwed up we are as a species.

Good call.

I believe that the resurgence of religious fundamentalism has a lot to do with feelings of insufficiency and guilt.

|

2/28/2009 12:11 AM

"The next step in the evolution of mankind would be for people to "do the right thing" ... not out of fear of divine retribution in an afterlife .... but simply because one knows that it is the "right thing to do".

Unfortunately, this won't happen overnight. "

now there is the truth of it . che guevara wrote about this a lot , he called it the "new man" . his mistake was believing that the evolution of the "new man" could be accelerated by an institutional force .
|

2/28/2009 7:15 AM

When people understand the "expectations" they're more apt to understanding and accept the values, virtues, and ethics necessary to apply and survive in those conditions.

|

Let Freedom Roll !

2/28/2009 7:29 AM

The institution in society that is charged with the task of bringing the people to the center on ethics is the church - I think most people would agree with that. And it doesn't matter much what church I'm talking about or even what religion, because on matters of ethics, there is liittle difference between churches or religions; it's more a matter of degree. All religions pretty much repudiate and affirm the same things. Love, hospitality, honesty, industry, that's all good; hatred, greed, lying and corruption are not.

Here's the problem in America: I saw yesterday that James Dobson was leaving his official position as CEO of Focus on the Family, and it occurred to me that if I was a Martian and I came to the Earth and sat in on one of Dobson's speeches, then asked those around me, "What religion is that guy?", they'd say, "Christian - he follows a man who was God's son, who was called Jesus". If I asked them for a book that explains this religion and they gave me a New Testament, and I read the Gospels, I'd have to hand it back to them and say they'd given me the wrong book. There's no way that this Jesus in this book could possibly be a Christian.

Solve that problem and your American ethical problems will go away.

|

2/28/2009 11:47 AM

It all starts at home. Sadly too many these days don't know who daddy is, or don't have a responsible adult in their lives.

I see people all the time with rims on their car, but the car is a piece of shit. brand new clothes, but no money to pay bills.

It goes on and on, and all comes down to self accountability.

|

Steelers 15-4 ...Pittsburgh'The only 6 time SuperBowl Champions!

2/28/2009 12:02 PM

Scott Kalisch wrote:

It all starts at home. Sadly too many these days don't know who daddy is, or don't have a responsible adult in their lives.

I see people all the time with rims on their car, but the car is a piece of shit. brand new clothes, but no money to pay bills.

I know plenty of great people who were raised by single parents. Lets try not to generalize a person's upbringing just because they dont have both parents and a white picket fence around their house.

|

2/28/2009 12:57 PM

Scott Kalisch wrote:

kdx man wrote:

I know plenty of great people who were raised by single parents. Lets try not to generalize a person's upbringing just because they dont have both parents and a white picket fence around their house.

While there's absolutely no doubt that a single parent can raise very succesful kids to adult hood, there's also no doubt that the odds are also much higher that they'll end up in prison, being leeches on society, and then completing the circle with their own kids.

|

2/28/2009 1:05 PM

Scott Kalisch wrote:

kdx man wrote:

X2,i can relate to the johnny cash song"a boy named sue"

|

ride like the wind at double speed,i'll take ya places that you've never seen

2/28/2009 1:11 PM

What you/we need is the abilty and the will to compromise.

|

2/28/2009 2:17 PM

Dammit John. I've been trying to come up w/ a response. This is a challenging topic. Do the right thing. I agree with that.

This opens up a bunch of philosophical doors.

Golden rule(s):

do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Don't step on someone else's toes...or your rights end where mine begin and vice versa.

|

2/28/2009 2:25 PM

motogeezer wrote:

jonjon714 wrote:

Respect
Tolerance
Hard Work
Responsibility
Trust and Honesty
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.

motogeezer wrote:

Out of all that you posted, trust and honesty are, to me, are the most important.

Honesty earns trust.

Being honest to yourself is the most important of all.

Oh man..forgot a big one.

Accountability for your actions

|

2/28/2009 3:16 PM

Scott Kalisch wrote:

kdx man wrote:

I never said a single parent is the sole cause, but it seems far too often troubled youth liek to blaim not having a solid household.

I do understand where you are coming from, and I agree. I know some very good single parents and good kids from them as well.

|

Steelers 15-4 ...Pittsburgh'The only 6 time SuperBowl Champions!

2/28/2009 4:09 PM

Fuck Tolerance!, that's EXACTLY WHAT'S wrong with this country now, we are expected to accept anything and everything, good or bad. All this because someone decided that it was PC to be "Tolerant" and "Accepting"

Oh, and by the way "diversity" sucks too!

Freakin liberal PC buzz words, i can't stand em.

|

"Political correctness is a violation of free speech"