Electric Assist Mountain Bikes

10/22/2018 3:18am
Unless you're directly competing then I can't see how an unfair advantage can exist?? One rider may take it seriously and thus pedal - the other may have dodgy knees etc, and so have different motivations... I don't see how there is a comparison to made or why there'd be an issue. If there are problems beyond that, how they tear-up the trails or something etc, well then the argument should be conducted solely on those grounds. Admittedly I don't hit the trails much these days though.

In regards to MX; quads are wider and can be a pain to overtake at times but I'd never seek to ban them or belittle the people that enjoy them. Too much people sticking their fat noses into other people's business as it is.
MotoMo165
10/22/2018 6:24am Edited Date/Time 10/22/2018 6:24am
Riding an E bike actually makes it more fun.. you get to go faster in sections and do lot more things because it takes a lot less effort. It won’t ever replace mountain bikes but you can literally ride your mtn bike like you ride your dirt bike. E bikes need their own segments on strava tho
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
10/22/2018 11:17am
There will come a day when my ability is far outweighed by my skill. (Already happening, since I'm 47 and not getting any younger. Skills increase or maintain, strength goes away...)

When the time is right, I am FOR SURE getting an e-bike.
Jack_Mehoff
Fantasy
57th
10/22/2018 11:53am
oldblood wrote:
I'm sorry, I don't get it.
To me it's like bench pressing 300 lbs with assist to make it a 5 lb equivalent.
More like having someone spot you because you are too weak to lift the bar. It gets people out who otherwise couldn't.

I have nothing against them and think it'd be fun to try, but a lot of what I like about mtb is that they're simple, fewer parts to break and minimal maintenance needed, just so much more accessible compared to a dirtbike and the ebikes take away some of that, so I won't be buying one until I'm fat and old. But it's still a bike and bikes are rad, so if people want/need them to get out more power to them

The Shop

Jrewing
10/22/2018 4:50pm
peelout wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/07/23/276417/s1200_ebike.jpg[/img]

Why can’t I select thumbs up and down!
oldblood
10/22/2018 4:53pm
oldblood wrote:
I'm sorry, I don't get it.
To me it's like bench pressing 300 lbs with assist to make it a 5 lb equivalent.
More like having someone spot you because you are too weak to lift the bar. It gets people out who otherwise couldn't. I have nothing against...
More like having someone spot you because you are too weak to lift the bar. It gets people out who otherwise couldn't.

I have nothing against them and think it'd be fun to try, but a lot of what I like about mtb is that they're simple, fewer parts to break and minimal maintenance needed, just so much more accessible compared to a dirtbike and the ebikes take away some of that, so I won't be buying one until I'm fat and old. But it's still a bike and bikes are rad, so if people want/need them to get out more power to them

Markee
Fantasy
1941st
10/22/2018 5:14pm
This is interesting to me because I have read a lot of hypocrisy in this thread.

Anything that aids in efficiency can be categorized as a assist.

Should I step up and start complaining about someone on a full carbon 29" full suspension, e shifting MTB aka the quads of traditional MTB. Road bikers of the woods.

You people need something like a 1994 Trek 930 full chromoly 4130 hardtail with a 100mm Rockshock, you know the true purest machine, no clip pedals if you going to complain about a ebike.. SMH

Crush
10/22/2018 6:17pm
Falcon wrote:
There will come a day when my ability is far outweighed by my skill. (Already happening, since I'm 47 and not getting any younger. Skills increase...
There will come a day when my ability is far outweighed by my skill. (Already happening, since I'm 47 and not getting any younger. Skills increase or maintain, strength goes away...)

When the time is right, I am FOR SURE getting an e-bike.
I've got one, it's heaps of fun. But to your point, it actually makes your riding improve as you ride more each ride... and the physical difficulty of the workout is directly related to your effort, not your final speed.

If you have 25% assist, and your speed is 25% faster, you're still doing the same work.... If I ride 40 kays on my e-bike at my max e-bike pace, i'm still doing my max.

The "cheating" on your workout comes if you ride with people on analogue bikes and go their pace... and you could dissect further to are your weights even, are you running the same wheel sizes, tyres, suspension kinematics etc...

Or you get an ebike and ride your ass off and smile as you cover more trails!
Nighttrain
10/22/2018 6:38pm
This debate is sometimes very heated amongst the road and mtb cycling groups I hang with. Either on pedal assisted or traditional bicycles I think that more 2 wheel travelers means better for all of us.
oldblood
10/22/2018 7:09pm
Haha! All good man, just my lame sarcastic dry sense of humor!
Ebs
10/22/2018 8:05pm
Markee wrote:
This is interesting to me because I have read a lot of hypocrisy in this thread. Anything that aids in efficiency can be categorized as a...
This is interesting to me because I have read a lot of hypocrisy in this thread.

Anything that aids in efficiency can be categorized as a assist.

Should I step up and start complaining about someone on a full carbon 29" full suspension, e shifting MTB aka the quads of traditional MTB. Road bikers of the woods.

You people need something like a 1994 Trek 930 full chromoly 4130 hardtail with a 100mm Rockshock, you know the true purest machine, no clip pedals if you going to complain about a ebike.. SMH

This.

"Oh, you ride a e-bike because you don't like to pedal."

As they hop on a bike full of stupid expensive everything because it makes it easier to pedal.

Post a reply to: Electric Assist Mountain Bikes

The Latest