Eclipse just a few days away.

Related:
Create New Tag

8/16/2017 5:01 PM

I am in a hot spot for the short show and am having a potential problem. I have purchased glasses locally, and ordered thru a Amazon supported seller and also a different eBay seller. Based on this website, they are all fakes. Anyone in the know on this?

https://www.eclipseglasses.com/pages/safety

|

8/16/2017 5:13 PM

Dude, do you or anyone else have a welder? use the shield, it's better than the shit their selling on social media anyway.

If you don't have one I bet the local welding dealer has some or even your local Pawns for minimal costs

|

8/16/2017 5:19 PM

Expecting 100,000- 400,000 just in my hometown of White House, TN. Not including Nashville where they say it's going to be a grid lock. Hearing every hotel is booked for the weekend.

|

8/16/2017 5:22 PM

JRT812 wrote:

Expecting 100,000- 400,000 just in my hometown of White House, TN. Not including Nashville where they say it's going to be a grid lock. Hearing every hotel is booked for the weekend.

Another Woodstock..grin

|

8/16/2017 6:24 PM

I live right next to the path of totality. Unfortunately I'll be riding my motorcycle in Colorado next week and will miss it. Or should I say "fortunately"? smile

|

8/16/2017 6:26 PM

old man - I do but just a few of them. I have some extra company coming and sure do not want anyone to have eyes harmed or miss it all together. I can put my dewalt 20v flashlight against the glasses on my face and it does not bleed thru. Gut feeling is that test is worthless. Some are expecting them so I should not have waited this late to realize I probably have fake glasses.

JRT - that is a large number. If there is a number tossed out there for Sweetwater it would be cool to know. The local radio has mentioned I am in a go to spot but I have missed any expected turnout tho.

|

8/16/2017 8:06 PM

The GODs are not amused. Sure sign of the apocalypse. It's the end of the world as we know it. wink

|

8/16/2017 8:22 PM

I was trying to get up to my Dad's place in the Tetons to check it out, but airfare was absolutely out of control expensive. Oh well... I guess I'll just pretend I saw it from home.

|

8/16/2017 9:20 PM

BMSOBx2 wrote:

The GODs are not amused. Sure sign of the apocalypse. It's the end of the world as we know it. wink

And I feel fine.

|

8/16/2017 9:36 PM

I don't get what the big deal is. I'll go outside and check it out, but to travel across the country paying airfare & hotels seems like a waste. but if that's what floats your boat, have a good time.

|

8/16/2017 9:39 PM

Old-Man wrote:

Dude, do you or anyone else have a welder? use the shield, it's better than the shit their selling on social media anyway.

If you don't have one I bet the local welding dealer has some or even your local Pawns for minimal costs

For gas or electric?

|

8/16/2017 10:26 PM

Just get a #14 lens for a welding helmet and make glasses out of that. Maybe $3

|

2003 CR250R - 2006 KX250 (freessshhhh)

8/16/2017 10:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/16/2017 10:55 PM

RonSkj wrote:

I don't get what the big deal is. I'll go outside and check it out, but to travel across the country paying airfare & hotels seems like a waste. but if that's what floats your boat, have a good time.

I think the big deal being made is because to be able to view a total eclipse, near where people are from (or at least acceptable travel distance) it can only be viewed once in many lifetimes. Most people dont go looking for the total eclipse that happens every 1 1/2 years somewhere in the world. They let it come to them.

Many places in the US happen to be in direct path now, which is that once in many lifetimes' opportunity.

Its not rare, just rare to pre-determined areas, time wise. Just my take on it.

|

much ty. How to spot a paid forum poster/artificial forum traffic producer (see list of actions/phrases below):

Copius pattern amounts of phrases like “Anyone have”..., “Anybody know?”.... and their variations.

Thoughts?
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks in advance!





8/16/2017 11:17 PM

Photo

|

much ty. How to spot a paid forum poster/artificial forum traffic producer (see list of actions/phrases below):

Copius pattern amounts of phrases like “Anyone have”..., “Anybody know?”.... and their variations.

Thoughts?
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks in advance!





8/17/2017 6:11 AM

I got binoculars all tuned up for the show.

|

8/17/2017 6:24 AM

RonSkj wrote:

I don't get what the big deal is. I'll go outside and check it out, but to travel across the country paying airfare & hotels seems like a waste. but if that's what floats your boat, have a good time.

I see both sides. I wouldn't spend money and travel any major distance to participate. However, seeing I can experience it from my rocking chair on the front porch.... yeah, it will be probably be something worth seeing.

|

8/17/2017 8:01 AM

RonSkj wrote:

I don't get what the big deal is. I'll go outside and check it out, but to travel across the country paying airfare & hotels seems like a waste. but if that's what floats your boat, have a good time.

JRT812 wrote:

I see both sides. I wouldn't spend money and travel any major distance to participate. However, seeing I can experience it from my rocking chair on the front porch.... yeah, it will be probably be something worth seeing.

I'm one of those traveling to Columbia, SC to watch it. Didn't pay shit though as I cashed in some air and hotel miles to watch it and booked plenty in advance to get the best deal. I'm also meeting friends of mine from the Dominican that are flying up to watch it.

It should be a kick ass time.

|

Only 2 things that money can't buy, thats true love and homegrown tomatoes.

8/17/2017 11:37 AM

RonSkj wrote:

I don't get what the big deal is. I'll go outside and check it out, but to travel across the country paying airfare & hotels seems like a waste. but if that's what floats your boat, have a good time.

JRT812 wrote:

I see both sides. I wouldn't spend money and travel any major distance to participate. However, seeing I can experience it from my rocking chair on the front porch.... yeah, it will be probably be something worth seeing.

Chances are that many of the ones who will travel for many hours to see this would never travel xx amount of hours each month taking their kids to the track.

|

8/17/2017 1:04 PM

Living in north Kansas City, I'll get to see the total deal. Should be pretty cool.
You can't find those glasses anywhere! A store gets them in, and they're gone within an hour at $3 a pop.
somebody is making a killing selling 10 cent glasses for $3.00.

|

8/17/2017 1:23 PM

gonna be close to total here, didn't think of welding shield that's a great idea

|

8/18/2017 9:53 PM

I guess it's going to be a total eclipse here in Charleston. I remember during the '84 eclipse in Southwest Atlanta all the hood dogs started howling and a girl at school fainted. A week later she sneezed while eating school lunch spaghetti. One end of a noodle came out her nose and the other end out her mouth. But the tough spaghetti noodle was still in one long piece while she flossed until it broke. Girls at
her table freaked out, ran away in hysterics and said she'd become possessed during the eclipse.

|

8/19/2017 8:16 AM

We have to travel to a government office in Portland the day of. Not happy about it at all.

As much all its kind of all pain in the ass, I'm glad people are putting this much effort into a natural phenomenon as opposed to a Justin Beaver concert or some stupid bullshit. Gives me a little faith in humanity

|

Osama Bin Mixin - Head of the 2-stroke Taliban

8/19/2017 8:46 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/19/2017 8:57 AM

Nighttrain wrote:

I guess it's going to be a total eclipse here in Charleston. I remember during the '84 eclipse in Southwest Atlanta all the hood dogs started howling and a girl at school fainted. A week later she sneezed while eating school lunch spaghetti. One end of a noodle came out her nose and the other end out her mouth. But the tough spaghetti noodle was still in one long piece while she flossed until it broke. Girls at
her table freaked out, ran away in hysterics and said she'd become possessed during the eclipse.

"Total Eclipse of the Nose"

Photo

|

“Adhering to 1970’s Standards of Political Correctness”

8/19/2017 11:32 AM

The city I live in is in the path of totality and it's starting to get crazy here. People renting out their yards as camp spots and all that. I just had to run to Walmart to grab a couple groceries. Wow that was a mistake. Soooooo many people. They were even restocking shelves in the middle of the day. That never happens.

|

8/19/2017 11:46 AM

The eclipse will be 90% complete here in the Seattle area and will start at 9:08 AM with peak darkness at 10:20 AM and will end at 11:38 AM. I’ll probably go out on my deck at 9:30 and sit there and watch it get darker. There is no direct view of the sun from my deck at that time.

|

“Adhering to 1970’s Standards of Political Correctness”

8/19/2017 3:30 PM

Idaho747 wrote:

The city I live in is in the path of totality and it's starting to get crazy here. People renting out their yards as camp spots and all that. I just had to run to Walmart to grab a couple groceries. Wow that was a mistake. Soooooo many people. They were even restocking shelves in the middle of the day. That never happens.

I've noticed people doing the same thing here. Surprisingly, it doesn't appear to crazy yet. I would imagine people are down in Nashville having a good time. Not much to do up in my town unless you want to hit the Mexican joint up for a chimichanga and margaritas.

|

8/19/2017 3:47 PM

imoto34 wrote:

old man - I do but just a few of them. I have some extra company coming and sure do not want anyone to have eyes harmed or miss it all together. I can put my dewalt 20v flashlight against the glasses on my face and it does not bleed thru. Gut feeling is that test is worthless. Some are expecting them so I should not have waited this late to realize I probably have fake glasses.

JRT - that is a large number. If there is a number tossed out there for Sweetwater it would be cool to know. The local radio has mentioned I am in a go to spot but I have missed any expected turnout tho.

Sorry I should have mentioned that the shield I have is from an old stick weld, I have used it twice before and worked great,. My kids in the 79, one thought it was amazing and they still remember it today so it's a Family deal if your lucky enough to be with your kids this day.

|

8/19/2017 5:34 PM

I was laughing at my wife yesterday. Apparently the news ran a story about not letting your dogs out during the eclipse, they will get confused because the sun gets hidden and then as the sun reappears, the dog could be blinded. She said she wasn't going to let the dog outside that day while it was going on.

|

8/19/2017 7:49 PM

Reese95w wrote:

"Total Eclipse of the Nose"

Photo

laughing Good work, Reese.
|

8/20/2017 12:58 PM


Been thru one or 2 of them.
Welding shield worked for me one time.

What got me, both times, was the errie way everything goes kinda dark, in the middle of a sunny day.
People at first kinda hooted and hollered, but both times, after a minute or 2, not only did it get dark, it got
kinda quiet. Almost spooky.
|