Easter SSSSSSSSunday

yzthumpa
Edited Date/Time 1/16/2012 11:46pm

Visited the in-laws for Easter. If there are woods in sight I always have to take a look around, and I got lucky and ran across this little guy. Snatched him up and brought him home. I REALLY wanted to keep him in a nice aquarium in my gameroom, but my wife was having a fit. She said I could keep the wife or the snake. I thought, "Damn, after all these years, that's all it would have taken to get rid of you?" In the end, since I've got an 11 yr. old kid in the house, the wife stayed and I relocated the snake today. I've been waiting to free-hand a copperhead for a long time - first time I've seen one in over 30 years. I hated to see him go. Of course when I caught him, the whole family there wanted to chop his head off, but no way that was happening on my watch, lol.
|
jib-tmb
4/25/2011 3:59pm
Pretty cool! I'd have done the same thing if I saw one. My oldest daughter would be fine with it but my youngest and the wife would have been chasing me with a shovel. Laughing
motogeezer
4/25/2011 4:03pm
Good lookin' snake.

He must have shed recently.

I've caught quite a few snakes over the years, including a rattler or three, and have brought home gopher snakes, king snakes, garter snakes, rosy boas...

The venomous guys are strictly catch and release.

Unless they're hanging out in the neighborhood. Then they're catch, kill, and grill.
Nielsen277
4/25/2011 4:04pm
DAMN! That takes nuts! I don't really like snakes, but I could never kill one just because I was afraid of it. I don't understand why everyone's first reaction is always "chop its head off!"
yzthumpa
4/25/2011 4:18pm
Since I was around 10 years old, I've caught literally a couple hundred or more snakes. However, I've always stuck to the non-venomous types. I did catch one cottonmouth with one of those trigger-lever clamp type snake sticks, but to me that's cheating. Going into dentistry, I've always valued my hands a bit too much to take unnecessary risks. But I always figured if I ever go bare-handed for one, a copperhead is probably the least-venomous in North America and the safest catch. And this guy wasn't aggressive at all. It was just too good of an opportunity to pass up, and a major adrenaline rush. Plus I left dentistry in October on disability due to back and neck problems. If I lose a hand now, I'm not using it for anything important anyway, lol.

The Shop

motogeezer
4/25/2011 4:19pm
Nielsen277 wrote:
DAMN! That takes nuts! I don't really like snakes, but I could never kill one just because I was afraid of it. I don't understand why...
DAMN! That takes nuts! I don't really like snakes, but I could never kill one just because I was afraid of it. I don't understand why everyone's first reaction is always "chop its head off!"
I would never kill one at his house, but if he comes to my house all bets are off (poisonous snakes only, of course).
jib-tmb
4/25/2011 4:58pm Edited Date/Time 4/25/2011 6:52pm
jimmie
4/25/2011 5:09pm
Very purdy snake. Wonder what he thought happen to him, in his new environment?

"How the heck did I get here? Where's my home dang it?"Tongue

Ever wonder if animals even realize "we're not in Kansas anymore" when they are moved from one place to another?
newmann
4/25/2011 5:25pm
If it ain't green.....it's a Cobra.Smile

My youngest son catches snakes all the time. He caught a damn 4-5 foot alligator a couple months ago. Freaks me out a little from time to time.
jonjon714
4/25/2011 5:31pm
yzthumpa wrote:
[img]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y296/BowToRC/Copperhead%204-24-11/DSCN1990.jpg[/img][img]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y296/BowToRC/Copperhead%204-24-11/DSCN1996.jpg[/img] Visited the in-laws for Easter. If there are woods in sight I always have to take a look around, and I got lucky and ran...

Visited the in-laws for Easter. If there are woods in sight I always have to take a look around, and I got lucky and ran across this little guy. Snatched him up and brought him home. I REALLY wanted to keep him in a nice aquarium in my gameroom, but my wife was having a fit. She said I could keep the wife or the snake. I thought, "Damn, after all these years, that's all it would have taken to get rid of you?" In the end, since I've got an 11 yr. old kid in the house, the wife stayed and I relocated the snake today. I've been waiting to free-hand a copperhead for a long time - first time I've seen one in over 30 years. I hated to see him go. Of course when I caught him, the whole family there wanted to chop his head off, but no way that was happening on my watch, lol.
Man, that's a healthy Copperhead.
slowvet
4/26/2011 10:39am
Sorry to hear about your back thumpa.
txmxer
4/26/2011 3:32pm
poisonous snakes on my property die--I'm not allowing one to bite my dogs or my cats. Non-poisonous get relocated if they are too close to the house.

I would prefer to relocate all, but, if they are residing in my circle, we've got an issue.

I did relocate a non-poisonous snake the other day using a pvc pipe and rope. Didn't seem to hurt him, but, I'll probably make an improved version soon. I don't like to hurt/kill snakes if I don't believe it's a necessity.

I also don't like to handle them. Poisonous or not, they can bit and do some damage.

Post a reply to: Easter SSSSSSSSunday

The Latest