Fantasy
232nd
4/26/2017 4:05pm
Whoa! Some big names on that list.
hvaughn88
4/26/2017 4:15pm
AHRMA361 wrote:
Whoa! Some big names on that list.
And as of the time I posted that link, that was only about half of it. Still more to come.
Scrambler_Man
4/26/2017 4:17pm
ESPN lost their way a lot of years ago. They are outdated and irrelevant by most standards. For fucks sake, they show poker, spelling and cup stacking regularly. If they woulda stuck to their roots, maybe...............................
hvaughn88
4/26/2017 4:20pm Edited Date/Time 4/26/2017 4:21pm
ESPN lost their way a lot of years ago. They are outdated and irrelevant by most standards. For fucks sake, they show poker, spelling and cup...
ESPN lost their way a lot of years ago. They are outdated and irrelevant by most standards. For fucks sake, they show poker, spelling and cup stacking regularly. If they woulda stuck to their roots, maybe...............................
I think they started going down the crapper when they started dipping their toes in politics. For me (and I think plenty of other people) sports is a place to get away from all that bullshit, not intertwine it.

The Shop

4/26/2017 4:22pm
ESPN lost their way a lot of years ago. They are outdated and irrelevant by most standards. For fucks sake, they show poker, spelling and cup...
hvaughn88 wrote:
I think they started going down the crapper when they started dipping their toes in politics. For me (and I think plenty of other people) sports...
I think they started going down the crapper when they started dipping their toes in politics. For me (and I think plenty of other people) sports is a place to get away from all that bullshit, not intertwine it.
Yep.
XXVoid MainXX
4/26/2017 4:31pm
I don't believe I recognized a single name in that list. But then I haven't watched ESPN in a looooong time.
TXDirt
4/26/2017 4:44pm
They want to go with more personality based shows. And this is precisely why I don't watch ESPN. The worst show they have is the Michael and Jamelle Sports Center show. It's god awful. But ESPN wants to focus more on personality based shows and less about news and true journalism. That to me is just doubling down on their problems even more.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
4/26/2017 4:50pm Edited Date/Time 4/26/2017 4:50pm
As most of my questions generally are, I have a stupid question. Why do almost all of the people genuinely seem ok and happy to move on? Regardless who is at fault during terminations, some people seem unhappy. I didnt really notice that w/hvaughn's OP. Had they all planned for it?

As a side note, I can't tell you the last time I remember watching ESPN. Kind of seemed to do an "MTV".
TXDirt
4/26/2017 5:27pm
kzizok wrote:
As most of my questions generally are, I have a stupid question. Why do almost all of the people genuinely seem ok and happy to move...
As most of my questions generally are, I have a stupid question. Why do almost all of the people genuinely seem ok and happy to move on? Regardless who is at fault during terminations, some people seem unhappy. I didnt really notice that w/hvaughn's OP. Had they all planned for it?

As a side note, I can't tell you the last time I remember watching ESPN. Kind of seemed to do an "MTV".
Many of the people let go have been at ESPN for a number of years. They are professionals. I highly doubt any of them are "happy" to move on. In situations like this it's better to leave with class, professionalism, and dignity. Even when you really want to do the opposite because you are pissed. I don't imagine the market is very big for out of work journalists. By human nature they are pissed and scared of having to enter the job market again. Just like you and I would feel if/when we get let go from a job.
AHRMA361
Fantasy
232nd
4/26/2017 5:36pm
kzizok wrote:
As most of my questions generally are, I have a stupid question. Why do almost all of the people genuinely seem ok and happy to move...

^^This^^

ESPN became MSNBC with some sports sprinkled in.
jj welks
4/26/2017 5:41pm
Yet half you would splooge if they even mention moto haha
rancor19
4/26/2017 6:16pm Edited Date/Time 4/26/2017 6:17pm
That's pretty cool.

I honestly don't remember what year it was the last time I turned it to ESPN. I do remember watching it all the time for Speedworld, Motoworld, etc.. Then you had to have ESPN2 to get moto. Then I don't remember exactly what it was but there was some other new channel you had to have. Then another, and another... And then Fox Sports 1... and then Fox Sports 2 and so on... Same shit - decades later. For this being a "niche" sport, all these new channels sure do love it when it comes to getting off the ground...

I'll bet ESPN tries to rebrand and brings back moto.Laughing

Nighttrain
4/26/2017 6:26pm
The way we, especially the younger demographics, watch tv is rapidly changing and ESPN ain't on the good foot.
newmann
4/26/2017 6:45pm
I remember shopping cable and satellite providers so I could get ESPN2 way back when to get moto. Then came a few X-Games when they were good. Other than that, no ESPN for me. Pizza, nap...
Ebs
4/26/2017 7:39pm
ESPN was good when Sportscenter used to be the prime spot you went for the highlights. Now it seems like it's damn near around the clock sports analysis shows of every flavor, it's overdone to the point I don't even care pay attention anymore.
Hut
4/26/2017 8:04pm
What no Mark May? Bummer...
Old-Man
4/26/2017 8:35pm
Dr. Jerry Punch will find a job somewhere in the entertainment analyst industry.
Dude has been around and knows what he's talking about. Too bad ESPN likes to keep it scripted.
Old-Man
4/26/2017 8:37pm Edited Date/Time 4/26/2017 8:37pm
Hut wrote:
No shit, right?
Thought the Coach was much better at analyzing College Football Games.
Hut
4/26/2017 9:00pm
Hut wrote:
Old-Man wrote:
No shit, right?
Thought the Coach was much better at analyzing College Football Games.
absolutely
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
4/27/2017 7:49am
kzizok wrote:

Exactly like Mtv. Lost interest years ago.
JRT812
4/27/2017 8:17am
As long as they don't fire the guy who makes the commercials
borg
4/27/2017 11:06am
Making room for Brockmire.
71Fish
4/27/2017 12:08pm
Are there any motor sports on ESPN anymore?
APLMAN99
4/27/2017 12:29pm
Best Sports Center eras were

A) When Dan Patrick and Keith Olberman were paired together. It was before Olberman went off the political diving board and the chemistry between those two was fantastic.

Cool When Kenny Mayne first became an anchor.

I'll watch events on ESPN all the time, but don't tune into their "news" programs all that often now that the info is on the interwebs so quickly. I will still watch Wilbon and Kornheiser if they happen to be on when I'm flipping channels.
borg
4/27/2017 2:20pm
They did the Masters this year. I guess they canned Dotty Pepper right after. I really don't get a lot out of the drive by player interviews they do during tournaments anyway.

The coverage wasn't that good. Not like some of the other networks. They didn't do any shot tracers or greens mapping which I like. It may be because of Augusta though.
yzrider314
4/27/2017 3:03pm
I can't believe they would launch people like Ed Werder and Jayson Stark but keep some dickwad like Stephen A. Smith. ESPN is a total joke.
Hudweiser9
4/27/2017 7:01pm
ESPN has become the social justice warrior / PC network. As some else stated, with a little sports sprinkled in the mix. The final straw for me was the Bruce / Caitlyn courage ESPY award.
MX558
4/28/2017 12:39am
Now it's just tabloid news at best. Even Mike and Mike sucks now
ocscottie
4/28/2017 3:57am
TXDirt wrote:
They want to go with more personality based shows. And this is precisely why I don't watch ESPN. The worst show they have is the Michael...
They want to go with more personality based shows. And this is precisely why I don't watch ESPN. The worst show they have is the Michael and Jamelle Sports Center show. It's god awful. But ESPN wants to focus more on personality based shows and less about news and true journalism. That to me is just doubling down on their problems even more.
The new SC show does blow...bad! They were fine when they had there lame little 30min show inside the numbers, but now to be the face of sports center? uughhh
TXDirt
4/28/2017 8:09am
TXDirt wrote:
They want to go with more personality based shows. And this is precisely why I don't watch ESPN. The worst show they have is the Michael...
ocscottie wrote:
The new SC show does blow...bad! They were fine when they had there lame little 30min show inside the numbers, but now to be the face...
The new SC show does blow...bad! They were fine when they had there lame little 30min show inside the numbers, but now to be the face of sports center? uughhh
I can't stand them. They will come on the radio with Mike and Mike in the morning sometimes, and it always ends up in a discussion or rant about race. Always. Gets really old. They are both too full of themselves.

Post a reply to: ESPN is dropping the hammer

The Latest