Ducati 1200 Monster Opinions

benstone
Edited Date/Time 9/27/2021 6:15am
I'm getting ready to buy a used Ducati 1200 Monster. The one I'm getting is a 2015 model some dude loaded with aftermarket stuff and only put 1000 miles on it. Exhaust, Corbin seat, screen, side bags.

Anyone own/ridden one and have an opinion? Anything to watch for?

|
B DUB 333
3/24/2018 6:53pm
Didn't know what you were talking about so I googled, that's a muscle bike- is it a twin or v-4? Reminds me of a mix between a rocket and touring bike. The things like 75% engine with a set of fenders and tires, added bonus is the seat.... the can looked like a peterbilt stack! It was like 10" diameter
benstone
3/24/2018 9:25pm
B DUB 333 wrote:
Didn't know what you were talking about so I googled, that's a muscle bike- is it a twin or v-4? Reminds me of a mix between...
Didn't know what you were talking about so I googled, that's a muscle bike- is it a twin or v-4? Reminds me of a mix between a rocket and touring bike. The things like 75% engine with a set of fenders and tires, added bonus is the seat.... the can looked like a peterbilt stack! It was like 10" diameter
Yea, it's a naked muscle bike or some call it a sport touring bike. That's why I threw this post in non-moto. The engine is actually integrated into being a stressed frame part. The front frame trellis is attached to the heads.

I was hoping someone had some experience on one. I'm always surprised how many MX riders don't ride street bikes.
XXVoid MainXX
3/25/2018 8:20am Edited Date/Time 3/25/2018 8:22am
I've ridden a few Ducatis, not the Monster though. I have a '17 KTM 1290 Super Duke R which should be very similar to that bike in many ways. Big V-twin, single sided swingarm, standard riding position, etc. I also have a '16 ZX10 and I enjoy riding the KTM much more (it's more comfortable and I'm old). Not quite as much HP as the ZX10 but has more torque.
B DUB 333
3/25/2018 2:35pm
I've ridden a few Ducatis, not the Monster though. I have a '17 KTM 1290 Super Duke R which should be very similar to that bike...
I've ridden a few Ducatis, not the Monster though. I have a '17 KTM 1290 Super Duke R which should be very similar to that bike in many ways. Big V-twin, single sided swingarm, standard riding position, etc. I also have a '16 ZX10 and I enjoy riding the KTM much more (it's more comfortable and I'm old). Not quite as much HP as the ZX10 but has more torque.
How fast are street bikes? I know they're way faster as in 200mph but are they faster than a say, a 450 to 50 mph?

The Shop

mxdude105
3/25/2018 4:30pm
I've ridden a few Ducatis, not the Monster though. I have a '17 KTM 1290 Super Duke R which should be very similar to that bike...
B DUB 333 wrote:
How fast are street bikes? I know they're way faster as in 200mph but are they faster than a say, a 450 to 50 mph?
Just like with dirt bikes, it depends upon the style of motor the bike has that determines how fast it is. A Harley cruiser has a 1500cc twin but its a lazy engine and heavy as hell. A 250F with street tires would smoke it in pretty much any acceleration test. Meanwhile a 600cc sport bike would be much faster than any single cylinder dirtbike.

1000cc sport bikes are probably the fastest vehicles you can legally own and drive on the street. Ferraris, Lambos, etc. are not even close to the acceleration times of these things. Why anyone wants to ride them on public roads I'll never understand
XXVoid MainXX
3/25/2018 5:08pm Edited Date/Time 3/25/2018 5:14pm
B DUB 333 wrote:
Very fast to 50, and very fast to 150. Took my Super Duke to the drag strip a few months back with only about 100 miles on it and was running 10.7 @ 133mph in the quarter. My ZX10 was closer to 150 in the quarter but not any faster on time (I was faster out of the hole on the Duke but the ZX10 beats it on top end power). My ZX10 is putting out right at 195HP at the wheel with around 90ft lbs of torque and weighs in at not too much over 400 pounds where my Super Duke is putting out right at 170HP but around 110ft lbs of torque. The Super Duke has power all through the RPM range where the ZX10 only makes power up high. ZX10 would be more like a 2-stroke and Super Duke more like a 4-stroke dirt bike. Smile
benstone
3/25/2018 5:19pm
B DUB 333 wrote:
mxdude105 wrote:
Just like with dirt bikes, it depends upon the style of motor the bike has that determines how fast it is. A Harley cruiser has a...
Just like with dirt bikes, it depends upon the style of motor the bike has that determines how fast it is. A Harley cruiser has a 1500cc twin but its a lazy engine and heavy as hell. A 250F with street tires would smoke it in pretty much any acceleration test. Meanwhile a 600cc sport bike would be much faster than any single cylinder dirtbike.

1000cc sport bikes are probably the fastest vehicles you can legally own and drive on the street. Ferraris, Lambos, etc. are not even close to the acceleration times of these things. Why anyone wants to ride them on public roads I'll never understand
I agree - engine vs weight makes a big difference. The other thing is traction. Street bike tires are amazing anymore. They stick to the road like glue. I'm not sure you could get a wide enough street tire on an MX bike to make any real comparison.

I will say that "seat of the pants" acceleration on an MX bike seems faster (but I'm sure it's not). Dirt bikes make you feel like you're flying but really don't go all that fast compared to even the mid range street bikes I ride.

It'll be interesting when I get the Ducati. It's running around 150 hp and the street bike I've been riding for 15 years only has 80 hp (2001 BMW R1100R).
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
3/26/2018 2:39pm
I'd be interested to see a drag race between a modern 450 and a sportbike. I remember Dirt Bike magazine did that in the 1980s between a CR500 with a street tire and a CBR1000 or something similar; the CR obliterated the street bike.... for the first 100 yards or so, then - GAME OVER.
Flatliner
3/26/2018 10:30pm
Someone who's good at launching a sportbike would handily walk a 450. I didn't spend much time trying to launch from a stop on my 600, but as soon as your moving the acceleration even on a 600 is beastly. You hit 60-70 mph in first gear.

1000's are a whole other animal. The sheer top end pull of any brand now feels like your bending time and space.

KennyT
Fantasy
280th
3/26/2018 11:18pm Edited Date/Time 3/26/2018 11:23pm
benstone wrote:
I'm getting ready to buy a used Ducati 1200 Monster. The one I'm getting is a 2015 model some dude loaded with aftermarket stuff and only...
I'm getting ready to buy a used Ducati 1200 Monster. The one I'm getting is a 2015 model some dude loaded with aftermarket stuff and only put 1000 miles on it. Exhaust, Corbin seat, screen, side bags.

Anyone own/ridden one and have an opinion? Anything to watch for?

Never ridden the Ducat but it looks like it will be similar to the way my new bike takes on the roads. Lots of power and excellent handling. My bike is more dirt oriented than the Ducati and made for long distance riding.

I bought a 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure bike and I must say it is the most amazing bike I’ve ever been on. The power (150+ HP....stock with a pipe) is incredible. Literally hauls ass! Take it on the twisties and it feels like a road racer, take it down a fire road with the traction control turned off and it’s drift city. Trying to get the courage to do more off-roading but I’m having so much fun on the street I’m in no hurry. The bike weighs close to 500ibs but feels really lightweight once you get going. I think you’ll have a blast on the Ducati

If you make the purchase let us know how you like it
XXVoid MainXX
3/27/2018 12:05am Edited Date/Time 3/27/2018 12:06am
Flatliner wrote:
Someone who's good at launching a sportbike would handily walk a 450. I didn't spend much time trying to launch from a stop on my 600...
Someone who's good at launching a sportbike would handily walk a 450. I didn't spend much time trying to launch from a stop on my 600, but as soon as your moving the acceleration even on a 600 is beastly. You hit 60-70 mph in first gear.

1000's are a whole other animal. The sheer top end pull of any brand now feels like your bending time and space.

I would think the first 100 feet or so would be similar for each because it's a simple case of trying to keep the front wheel just barely off the ground for maximum acceleration. Neither can use their max power out of the gate and you have to manage the clutch. Theoretically the bike with the lower center of gravity should be able to get out of the hole quicker, as long as it can keep traction, and that would be the sport bike. My 600 does around 80 in 1st if I recall, and my ZX10 does around 105mph in 1st gear. On the other hand my 1290 Super Duke will be topped out in 3rd gear before hitting 105. We actually have a guy that races a CR250 2-stroke in our lightweight road racing class.
benstone
3/27/2018 7:46pm
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/03/27/252025/s1200_cr250_0.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/03/27/252026/s1200_cr250_1.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/03/27/252027/s1200_cr250_2.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/03/27/252028/s1200_cr250_3.jpg[/img]

That's fucking cool. If I had more time and money, I'd do shit like that all day. I wonder what, if anything, he does to the suspension? It seems like that long throw suspension would be mushy as hell on the pavement.
LoudLove
3/28/2018 6:52am
Ducati's Monster line has an excellent reputation as a multi-purpose tool, good for quick jaunts around town or a cross-country ride (although you may want to invest in a fairing and flatter seat). Plus the Ohlins-Brembo combination provides excellent handling and brake modulation characteristics.

I ride an '09 Multistrada, aka "Last of the Analog Warriors". Air-cooled 1100S putting out around 95 hp, but also 63 ft/lbs of torque, so like the Monster, it has very "'usable" power. (It's 420 lb dry weight doesn't hurt, either.)

The downside? Maintenance requirements and expense. But that's the price you pay for an Italian mistress.
benstone
4/8/2018 8:21am
Drove down to Oklahoma City and picked up the Monster:

Got home last night (8.5 hour drive each way - Ugh!). Of course that means it's going to snow today so I'll just be hanging out in my garage making vroom-vroom noises until the weather cooperates:

Markus422
4/8/2018 9:44pm
benstone wrote:
Drove down to Oklahoma City and picked up the Monster: [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/04/08/254276/s1200_IMG_20180407_095050589.jpg[/img] Got home last night (8.5 hour drive each way - Ugh!). Of course that means...
Drove down to Oklahoma City and picked up the Monster:

Got home last night (8.5 hour drive each way - Ugh!). Of course that means it's going to snow today so I'll just be hanging out in my garage making vroom-vroom noises until the weather cooperates:

I have that same bike, love it!!! Almost 13,000 miles so far and it has never let me down once. Great bike for someone that is more of a dirt rider. The first thing I would do is get bar end mirrors, the stock ones vibrate so bad they're almost unusable. Have fun/be safe!
benstone
4/8/2018 9:54pm
Markus422 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/04/08/254444/s1200_IMG_1245.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/04/08/254445/s1200_IMG_1243.jpg[/img]

Sweet - are the rims different in the second pic? They look red on the outer edge.
Markus422
4/8/2018 10:00pm
Just cheap Ebay rim stickers, looked cool but took them off after a while.
Markus422
4/9/2018 9:57am
mxdude105 wrote:
Is that your Alfa as well?
No, it's a friend's, but having driven one I can say it is easily the best car I have ever driven. Blows everything else away.
benstone
4/9/2018 9:24pm
Took my new Monster for a short, cold spin tonight. It was only 34 degrees outside so emphasis on the short.

First quick impression is that this bike is liquid smooth. No surprise or jittery movements. Very planted. It felt almost too stable at highway speeds. When I don't "feel" like I'm going fast, I tend to wick it up until I do feel like I'm moving fast.

I thought the three riding modes (Sport, Touring, and Urban) would be hokey but I like it. The Urban mode detunes the motor so I can ease into learning how to ride it. Moving it too Sport mode reminded me of when I got my first fast MX back in the day. Way more power than I think I could ever use - but in reality, it's just another level of speed that I'll eventually get used to. Like they talk about with rookies in the NFL, once they get more practice, the game slows down a little them. I need to do that on this bike and three modes will let me step into it in increments.

I really like it so far but more to come and maybe another couple pics. Weather is supposed to get into the 70's later this week.
G-man
4/9/2018 9:37pm
Nice score.
Congrats! Smile
Markus422
4/10/2018 2:32pm
benstone wrote:
Took my new Monster for a short, cold spin tonight. It was only 34 degrees outside so emphasis on the short. First quick impression is that...
Took my new Monster for a short, cold spin tonight. It was only 34 degrees outside so emphasis on the short.

First quick impression is that this bike is liquid smooth. No surprise or jittery movements. Very planted. It felt almost too stable at highway speeds. When I don't "feel" like I'm going fast, I tend to wick it up until I do feel like I'm moving fast.

I thought the three riding modes (Sport, Touring, and Urban) would be hokey but I like it. The Urban mode detunes the motor so I can ease into learning how to ride it. Moving it too Sport mode reminded me of when I got my first fast MX back in the day. Way more power than I think I could ever use - but in reality, it's just another level of speed that I'll eventually get used to. Like they talk about with rookies in the NFL, once they get more practice, the game slows down a little them. I need to do that on this bike and three modes will let me step into it in increments.

I really like it so far but more to come and maybe another couple pics. Weather is supposed to get into the 70's later this week.
Keep in mind touring mode is the same engine settings as sport mode, just more ABS and TC. You can actually go and manually change the settings on each riding mode as well. I use touring a lot when it's wet as urban mode drops her to only 100 HP :/
benstone
4/10/2018 6:24pm Edited Date/Time 4/10/2018 6:27pm
Markus422 wrote:
Keep in mind touring mode is the same engine settings as sport mode, just more ABS and TC. You can actually go and manually change the...
Keep in mind touring mode is the same engine settings as sport mode, just more ABS and TC. You can actually go and manually change the settings on each riding mode as well. I use touring a lot when it's wet as urban mode drops her to only 100 HP :/
Good reminder on the hp for the touring and sport modes. I originally thought touring hp was between urban and sport. I just read up a little more and see they do change the throttle response between touring and sport. Sport mode has a super sensitive response. One blip and it's off to the races. Tour can get the same hit, but you need to twist it more. I was wondering if all this electronic shit was just BS but I'm getting into it. It makes for a great riding experience. I keep coming back to how "together" this bike is. It all works really well together in terms of suspension, motor, ergos, etc. It has only taken me 2 rides to feel pretty comfy.

Hey - does your right leg ride up against the pipe guard all the time? That's where my leg lands and it seems OK now in the cold weather, but it seems like that thing will get hot in summer, even if it's pretty thick and separated from the pipe itself. Just curious.
Rooster
4/11/2018 11:07am
benstone wrote:
I agree - engine vs weight makes a big difference. The other thing is traction. Street bike tires are amazing anymore. They stick to the road...
I agree - engine vs weight makes a big difference. The other thing is traction. Street bike tires are amazing anymore. They stick to the road like glue. I'm not sure you could get a wide enough street tire on an MX bike to make any real comparison.

I will say that "seat of the pants" acceleration on an MX bike seems faster (but I'm sure it's not). Dirt bikes make you feel like you're flying but really don't go all that fast compared to even the mid range street bikes I ride.

It'll be interesting when I get the Ducati. It's running around 150 hp and the street bike I've been riding for 15 years only has 80 hp (2001 BMW R1100R).
Your seat of the pants impression is spot on. Out of the hole they most definitely accelerate faster.

I road raced my 450 as well and on shorter tighter tracks the larger displacement bikes had zero advantage except on the longest straightaway where they would blow past you at the end like you were standing still. Of course at that point they jump in front on you and grab a fistful of brake and then you move to the inside, stay on the gas and out brake them to the apex. If you don't wad it up into the back of them when they brake check you like that.

On the gas the sportbikes are much faster once they get over the inertia. But out of the hole and on the brakes, all that extra weight can't be overcome. Supermotos can accelerate faster, brake later and find that inside line easier. The best part is, that riding a dirt bike on slicks makes every dry day feel like a perfect loam day on a motocross track.

Markus422
4/11/2018 11:28am
Markus422 wrote:
Keep in mind touring mode is the same engine settings as sport mode, just more ABS and TC. You can actually go and manually change the...
benstone wrote:
Good reminder on the hp for the touring and sport modes. I originally thought touring hp was between urban and sport. I just read up a...
Good reminder on the hp for the touring and sport modes. I originally thought touring hp was between urban and sport. I just read up a little more and see they do change the throttle response between touring and sport. Sport mode has a super sensitive response. One blip and it's off to the races. Tour can get the same hit, but you need to twist it more. I was wondering if all this electronic shit was just BS but I'm getting into it. It makes for a great riding experience. I keep coming back to how "together" this bike is. It all works really well together in terms of suspension, motor, ergos, etc. It has only taken me 2 rides to feel pretty comfy.

Hey - does your right leg ride up against the pipe guard all the time? That's where my leg lands and it seems OK now in the cold weather, but it seems like that thing will get hot in summer, even if it's pretty thick and separated from the pipe itself. Just curious.
I've never had that problem. Currently in the process of putting on new rearsets as I have issues with my heel touching the passenger pegs on the stock ones, but other then that no ergo issues. I've never felt the heat too bad even on the hottest days. The Panigales or older air cooled Ducatis will destroy you if they get too hot though haha

Post a reply to: Ducati 1200 Monster Opinions

The Latest