Used Kia $1800

New Kia headlight $1667

haha yikes!
Hman144
10/16/2019 11:17am
Broken headlight? Sorry, total loss.
CDswinehart
10/16/2019 11:35am
Ouch....Uncle Newmann, tells us about light hits with air bag deployment....

Sounds like 'Benz pricing on Kia parts.

The Shop

BMSOBx2
10/16/2019 3:35pm
Is it made out of gold?
newmann
10/16/2019 4:17pm
BMSOBx2 wrote:
Is it made out of gold?
The higher end Kias and Hyundai’s have about $13,000.00 worth of exterior lighting. Then there are all the distance control modules, parking sensors, 360 view linked cameras, blind spot monitors and all the calibration work to go along with replacing all of the above. All “cool” stuff but a royal pain in the a$$. Getting hard to keep up in the collision repair business.
newmann
10/16/2019 4:37pm
Ouch....Uncle Newmann, tells us about light hits with air bag deployment....

Sounds like 'Benz pricing on Kia parts.
MB has some headlamps in the 5k plus range each currently I do believe.

Air bag deployment? Did it damage the speakers? Do complete seat frames or seat assemblies with occupant sensors need to be replaced per mfgs requirements? Sunroof damage? Mustang door skins blown loose? Steering column collapse? Did you hit a curb with the rear wheel causing side roof airbag deployment on your F150 requiring front steering rack replacement? Complete dash replacement? Windshield shattered? Wiring harness replacement? Roof air bags always destroy headliners and pillar trims. Sooo much related stuff most people don’t even think about.

A “light” hit with any airbag deployment will usually hit 10k pretty easily. Heck, with all the electronics up front in the bumper and grille nestled between 4 k worth of headlamps, no airbag deployment can still hit 15k pretty easily anymore. Like I said, keep that full coverage at least until you are comfortable considering it a disposable vehicle.
jasonward73
10/17/2019 7:26am
newmann wrote:
MB has some headlamps in the 5k plus range each currently I do believe. Air bag deployment? Did it damage the speakers? Do complete seat frames...
MB has some headlamps in the 5k plus range each currently I do believe.

Air bag deployment? Did it damage the speakers? Do complete seat frames or seat assemblies with occupant sensors need to be replaced per mfgs requirements? Sunroof damage? Mustang door skins blown loose? Steering column collapse? Did you hit a curb with the rear wheel causing side roof airbag deployment on your F150 requiring front steering rack replacement? Complete dash replacement? Windshield shattered? Wiring harness replacement? Roof air bags always destroy headliners and pillar trims. Sooo much related stuff most people don’t even think about.

A “light” hit with any airbag deployment will usually hit 10k pretty easily. Heck, with all the electronics up front in the bumper and grille nestled between 4 k worth of headlamps, no airbag deployment can still hit 15k pretty easily anymore. Like I said, keep that full coverage at least until you are comfortable considering it a disposable vehicle.
Or just buy a 20yr old truck, pay cash, and roll the dice. YOLO!!!
hillbilly
10/17/2019 7:46am
Have numerous junkyard s here,30 bucks about what I'd give with me taking it off the wreck

Plenty of rear enders here,lol,with meth,drunks,and texters
JAFO92
10/17/2019 7:19pm
$1667? Yikes. Thats about what I spent putting a new NV4500 in old Fido. Methinks I will keep patchin' around on the old girl and stay away from them high-dollar gadget vehicles.

vetmxr
10/17/2019 7:36pm
Just backed into a mailbox with my Brand New Ford Super duty with the latest in back up technology...( I understand the irony) ...$1300 for a new passenger side tailight lens......
reded
10/17/2019 8:49pm
This thread actually makes me proud to still be driving the ‘04 Silverado. Not sure I want a newer pickup anymore.
plowboy
10/19/2019 6:43am
BMSOBx2 wrote:
Is it made out of gold?
newmann wrote:
The higher end Kias and Hyundai’s have about $13,000.00 worth of exterior lighting. Then there are all the distance control modules, parking sensors, 360 view linked...
The higher end Kias and Hyundai’s have about $13,000.00 worth of exterior lighting. Then there are all the distance control modules, parking sensors, 360 view linked cameras, blind spot monitors and all the calibration work to go along with replacing all of the above. All “cool” stuff but a royal pain in the a$$. Getting hard to keep up in the collision repair business.
So what you're also saying is that EVERYONES insurance rates will be going up as more of these high tech, expensive to repair, cars are sold? I mean, it's not like the owners of these vehicles will be paying a proportional premium based on the cost of repairs...the insurance companies will spread that extra expense to everyone. Tell me I'm wrong.
plowboy
10/19/2019 7:01am
reded wrote:
This thread actually makes me proud to still be driving the ‘04 Silverado. Not sure I want a newer pickup anymore.
Truth brother. My '06 F150XL is gonna have to last me til they take my license. 240k and runs/drives as good as the day I drove it off the lot (yeah, I left myself open to a ball busting with that statementBlush ). It really does run strong though. I've replaced the headlight assy's twice for hazing but they are only about 125 apiece. The only replacement I'd consider for this Ford is a late '50's Chevy Apache...I can work on one of them.
Chance1216
10/19/2019 10:00am
reded wrote:
plowboy wrote:
Truth brother. My '06 F150XL is gonna have to last me til they take my license. 240k and runs/drives as good as the day I drove...
Truth brother. My '06 F150XL is gonna have to last me til they take my license. 240k and runs/drives as good as the day I drove it off the lot (yeah, I left myself open to a ball busting with that statementBlush ). It really does run strong though. I've replaced the headlight assy's twice for hazing but they are only about 125 apiece. The only replacement I'd consider for this Ford is a late '50's Chevy Apache...I can work on one of them.
The biggest pain with my 08 F-150 was the spark plugs. I was trying to change them out, and broke one. I had to have it towed to the mechanic who broke four more. After extracting five of the pieces that broke off, I ended up paying $576 for the plugs replacement which from based on the other quotes I got was a steal. Other quotes were over a grand.
SEEMEFIRST
10/19/2019 10:53am
My daughter had one blow out.
I had to insert a helicoil type sleeve.

Guess which one...

Evidently the back ones get screwed up by people not installing the plugs correctly.

It was about a 3 hour job.
motogrady
10/19/2019 10:58am
Geez, 6 MB headlights, and you have a HD Livewire paid for.
JustMX
10/19/2019 11:53am
Makes me wish they would actually put an Adobe into production

Spokesman: These days, everyone's talking about the Hyundai, and the Yugo. Both nice cars, if you've got $3,000 or $4,000 to throw around. But, for those of us whose name doesn't happen to be Rockefeller, finally there's some good news - a car with a sticker price of $179. That's right, $179. The name of the car?

Adobe. The sassy new Mexican import that's made out of clay. German engineering and Mexican know-how helped create the first car to break the $200 barrier. At this price, you might not expect more than reliable transportation - but, brother, you get it! Extra features: like the custom contour seats, or the beverage-gripping dash. And the money you save isn't exactly small change!

Jingle:
"Hey, hey, we're Adobe!
The little car that's made out of clay!
We're gonna save you some money
that you can spend in some other way!
Hey, hey, we're Adobe!
Hey, hey, we're Adobe!
Adobe!"

[ show Adobe driver get into a fender-bender. She casually steps out of the vehicle and uses her hands to mold her bumper back into its proper shape, in under six minutes! ]

Spokesman: Adobe. You can buy a cheaper car. But I wouldn't recommend it!

Announcer: Not approved for street use in some states. No warranty either expressed or implied. All sales final.

Pit Row

dadofagun
10/19/2019 1:39pm
JustMX wrote:
Makes me wish they would actually put an Adobe into production Spokesman: These days, everyone's talking about the Hyundai, and the Yugo. Both nice cars, if...
Makes me wish they would actually put an Adobe into production

Spokesman: These days, everyone's talking about the Hyundai, and the Yugo. Both nice cars, if you've got $3,000 or $4,000 to throw around. But, for those of us whose name doesn't happen to be Rockefeller, finally there's some good news - a car with a sticker price of $179. That's right, $179. The name of the car?

Adobe. The sassy new Mexican import that's made out of clay. German engineering and Mexican know-how helped create the first car to break the $200 barrier. At this price, you might not expect more than reliable transportation - but, brother, you get it! Extra features: like the custom contour seats, or the beverage-gripping dash. And the money you save isn't exactly small change!

Jingle:
"Hey, hey, we're Adobe!
The little car that's made out of clay!
We're gonna save you some money
that you can spend in some other way!
Hey, hey, we're Adobe!
Hey, hey, we're Adobe!
Adobe!"

[ show Adobe driver get into a fender-bender. She casually steps out of the vehicle and uses her hands to mold her bumper back into its proper shape, in under six minutes! ]

Spokesman: Adobe. You can buy a cheaper car. But I wouldn't recommend it!

Announcer: Not approved for street use in some states. No warranty either expressed or implied. All sales final.

Sadly, I'm old enough to remember that SNL skit........
KennyT
10/19/2019 6:37pm
I have a 2018 truck with $2,000 deductible on collision. I can’t stand insurance companies and try my best to give them as little as possible. I turn 60 next week and have never made a claim so I figure with the thousands I’ve saved over the years n deductibles I can afford a new headlight. Unreal prices...makes you wonder how they can build a car for under $500,000 based on parts cost
10/19/2019 8:08pm
reded wrote:
Yeah I have an 02 Silverado - I was going to sell it recently but damn what a truck. So easy to work on and parts are cheap.
reded
10/19/2019 9:52pm
I’ve seen pickups with 5.3s that have over 300k miles and still going. Considering mine only has 80k, I reckon I’ll keep on replacing rusty bodywork in lieu of payments and higher taxes/insurance. Not to mention, I’ve driven all of the newer pickups and none of them have wowed me enough to make me want to take the leap.

Post a reply to: Don’t drop that full coverage kiddos

The Latest

The Latest