Do any of you golf fans really care...

borg
Edited Date/Time 7/28/2019 5:36pm
about the Fed Ex Cup? I don't know anybody who gives two shits about it.
|
APLMAN99
7/28/2019 5:54pm
borg wrote:
about the Fed Ex Cup? I don't know anybody who gives two shits about it.
Well, 5% of golf fans would equate to about 3000% of MX fans, so scale is pretty important.....

😎
borg
7/28/2019 6:51pm
The only reason I bring it up is because NBC and CBS plus the Golf Channel talk about it non stop all year like it's a major and nobody gives a shit. I wish they would promote MX more and try to get it more mainstream. Sometimes on Saturday where we drink and lie after golf, they have one TV with some form of MX along with golf and baseball. More eyes are on the MX. Especially if I explain what's going on.
APLMAN99
7/28/2019 7:01pm
borg wrote:
The only reason I bring it up is because NBC and CBS plus the Golf Channel talk about it non stop all year like it's a...
The only reason I bring it up is because NBC and CBS plus the Golf Channel talk about it non stop all year like it's a major and nobody gives a shit. I wish they would promote MX more and try to get it more mainstream. Sometimes on Saturday where we drink and lie after golf, they have one TV with some form of MX along with golf and baseball. More eyes are on the MX. Especially if I explain what's going on.
I get what you’re saying, but it’s not for the networks to interest fans in a sport, it’s in their interest to air sports that have the most fans. I think a lot of people like watching moto now and then, but that doesn’t mean that they are going to seek it out each week.

It’s like most sports, it’s more interesting if you’ve participated and not nearly as many have participated in anything related to moto compared to the number of people who’ve played a few rounds of golf.
APLMAN99
7/28/2019 7:09pm
Just looked up the purse, and I’m guessing that there’s a reason why the winner takes home $15M for winning vs about $12K for a SX win, and the reason is interest from target audiences.

The Shop

KMC440
7/29/2019 2:13am
2016 survey ... yeah we're not even close.

23.8 million — Total number of golfers. Of those, 5.8 million (24%) were women and 4.6 million (19%) were non-white.

I like the knockout format unless I was paying to go. Then the number of players would suck.
yzrider314
7/29/2019 4:55am
The format of the FedEx cup is pretty bitchin once they get into the 'playoffs.' Forces guys to play well every week if they want to keep advancing. Hell, Tiger almost won it last year. Anytime Tiger is in contention, golf is just way more fun to watch.
borg
7/29/2019 5:54am
I usually watch the first couple of rounds when there are more players but they keep screwing with the points system. There is a new one this year. I have yet to watch a complete final round. The big negative for me though is the year long promo. I guess I don't respond well to being "sold" on something. They start talking about Fed Ex points after the first tournament when all these points end up not meaning that much when the actual tournament starts. I'm pretty jaded when it comes to being pitched. Don't get me started on Flex Seal.

Of course the money is huge but out of years of watching golf and hearing interviews I don't remember having heard a golfer list the Fed Ex Cup as a major career goal unless the interview is at one of the FEC events or he is being pushed into mentioning it.

I just cant get past the plastic feel of the whole thing. We goof on it all during the regular season. Some of the comments get pretty funny. The Tour Championship? Meh.
whyZ
7/29/2019 8:40am
The one thing you're over looking is how much the FedEx Cup Series gives back to the community. The past weekend for example was called the FedEx St. Jude invitational. Take a wild guess at how much money was made for and on behalf of the hospital. When we start seeing the MX Hangtown St. Jude Cup, there maybe a little more meat to your analysis.
TXDirt
7/29/2019 8:58am
The media hypes it because FedEx pays a shit ton of money for it. What as it before the FedEx cup? Or right, nothing.

It's about marketing and making money, as really all sporting events are. The timing with the end of the majors was basically meaning that pro golf was only talked about half the year or less. They needed to introduce something that keeps interest deeper into the year.

I think it can grow in popularity perhaps with time and bigger and bigger purse.
BMSOBx2
7/29/2019 9:16am
I miss the Skins games they used to broadcast. Now that was some real pressure golf. One tie all tie. Half a million to make a putt. Guys would pull shots out of their bag that you never see in a tournament where everybody's afraid to make a mistake. No laying up in the Skins game.
NV825
Fantasy
2740th
7/29/2019 1:05pm
It would have been a great idea if the majors weren't already what the standard in golf is measured to. I'll keep watching golf through it because I'm huge fan of the game and greatly enjoy watching the best players go at it, but the FedEx Cup doesn't change my mindset while watching because the ones who have the opportunity to win it at the Tour Championship are already swimming in money.

I do think this type of cup/playoff system can work for SX/MX where every event is looked at evenly throughout the seasons, but I would have it be a supplemental system to the current season long championship to still have that champion win that title based on traditional points system.
borg
7/29/2019 1:57pm
whyZ wrote:
The one thing you're over looking is how much the FedEx Cup Series gives back to the community. The past weekend for example was called the...
The one thing you're over looking is how much the FedEx Cup Series gives back to the community. The past weekend for example was called the FedEx St. Jude invitational. Take a wild guess at how much money was made for and on behalf of the hospital. When we start seeing the MX Hangtown St. Jude Cup, there maybe a little more meat to your analysis.
I didn't over look the charity benefit, it just has nothing to do with the point I was making. All of the regular PGA events give money back usually via a charity of some kind. My favorite non major is the Phoenix Open. There is a huge list of charities that benefit from that. Partially because it is the most attended PGA tournament by a wide margin. It's also a riot to watch on TV. The PGA keeps trying to kill all the fun though.

Post a reply to: Do any of you golf fans really care...

The Latest