Division

Related:
Create New Tag

3/27/2018 6:21 AM

Seems to be at an all time high. Why are we so divided on almost every single issue. More importantly will our nation be able to withstand such division? In the short term we can weather it, but over time if we continue as we are?

|

3/27/2018 6:55 AM

I do not believe for one second that the majority of people are as divided as they appear on TV and the internet.

Politicians? Yes, they can shove off, but I would be shocked to find that real people could not get along when face to face. I think there are a lot more good people than dirtbags in the world.

|

I can do anything, I'm an expert.
MotoTribology.com - Motorcycle Lubrication Education

3/27/2018 7:06 AM

It all has to do with the media and especially social media

|

3/27/2018 7:24 AM

Clan/team mentality, a sense of belonging spun out of control. Thousands of years of being told follow my way, it is the right way, those people are the wrong way. Misplaced hierarchy of social concern; my personal belief is that it should go family, earth, friends, nation, local, state, political, religion. But that's just me.

|

3/27/2018 7:35 AM

Its really quite simple and cooks down to two ways of thinking. It has absolutely nothing to do with gender, race or any of that stuff that the media and politicians try to use. Its about a fundamental way of thinking and about life. And our Nation is cut right down the middle for the most part of how many are on each side of that thinking. Neither will ever change their mind and no amount of analogy, evidence or example is gonna change that. This Non-Moto forum is teeny example of just that. Every attempt at explaining always ends up going off the rails, nothing changes. And in the face of such a stalemate, I wish we could treat it like a bad marriage and agree to part ways. Irreconcilable differences if you will. Just split things down them middle and go separate ways.

|

"We don't rent pigs."

3/27/2018 7:45 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/27/2018 7:46 AM

I gave up watching TV about 6 months before the last election and I filter out all politics on the facepage and news web sites. It's amazing how little division there has been in my life in the last year. Yes, I gave up on America. It has spiraled into Idiocracy. Hope the kids can get it sorted out because all my efforts over the last 50 years went nowhere.

|

3/27/2018 8:04 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/27/2018 8:05 AM

I think someone should explode Facebook and social media in general. I don't have an issue with someone holding a different opinion than me. But getting constantly bombarded by stupid ass memes intended to do nothing but trivialize and de-humanize the opposing view is flat out ignorant. I didn't agree with Obama about just a whole lot, but his frustration with small minded people turning complex issues into catch phrases and stupid pictures is a one opinion of his I share.

|

3/27/2018 8:09 AM

MotoTribology wrote:

I do not believe for one second that the majority of people are as divided as they appear on TV and the internet.

...more

I think that is a good point. I have often said that things are not nearly as bad as they are portrayed. Our access to information is so great today, that we receive the bad news from every corner of the earth. Events that we would have had no knowledge whatsoever of even just 10 years ago now have the spotlight the moment they happen.

Still yet what appears on the tv and internet (even in this forum) has some influence on us. That influence does seem to be getting progressively worse on many levels.

On another note in the past year I have personally walked away from mainstream news media (ditched the dish, canceled my paper subscription) which i was never really that into anyways. Additionally, i am much more enveloped in my work now (by my own choice). I don't take part in facebook, instagram, twitter, snapchat, etc. and i do not have a smart phone. As a result i have found myself on a number of occasions in a group of people talking about some "mainstream event", that has occurred within the past few days, to which i have no knowledge of. I learn of many of these events through this forum, and I am online quite a bit with my work. I would not say that i feel uninformed as it would be very very difficult to completely hide yourself from these things, ( nor is that my intentions). However i would say that i feel uninfluenced at least to a greater degree than i once was.

|

3/27/2018 9:29 AM

Maybe you guys just need more political parties down there. Or at least a third sensible viable one.

This extreme lefty/righty righty/wrongy stuff is just out to lunch stupid and leaves nothing for middle ground.

|

HAF

3/27/2018 9:30 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/27/2018 9:31 AM

I think if people just turn off the news and social media for a week or so that feeling of "division" will start to go away.

I work for one of the most diverse companies in the world- daily I talk with customers and co-workers from Russia, Pakistan, Texas, Germany, Poland, Canada, Mexico, Bangladesh, India, California, New York..etc..etc..all races/religions/age..etc....No one is mad at anyone..All is good and we have plenty of "non-work" related discussions/ lunches/ dinners..

Look how good it is here in WI- People are very happy. We have a 2.9% unemployment rate (lowest ever recorded), taxes are lower, the economy is booming and local MX tracks are starting to open... Only negative has been the cold spring weather...

|

3/27/2018 9:39 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/27/2018 9:40 AM

ns503 wrote:

Maybe you guys just need more political parties down there. Or at least a third sensible viable one.

This extreme ...more

I agree, it's become the bloods and the crips... we're no longer working towards a common goal but morphed into this tragic state of "let's get what we want and find a way to make it so that it can never be changed"... we're working to deny societal evolution for the benefit of a few over the many.

We're also reaching a point in which capitalism (don't jump on me people – I love concept of capitalism) is starting to rear its ugly head. The problem we're seeing is which we run a country founded on the ideas of business values is that unlike a business – you can't fire people who are under performing for lack of abilities or drive. We have to start accepting that by not having a decent net in which people who are falling get trapped into we will never truly be able to reach our fullest potential.

It's that whole "capitalism" thing described via cows. It's a great idea until you realize that there are no longer enough cows left for everyone to start their own farm.

|

3/27/2018 9:45 AM

We are better off. I don't think it's any worse but I do think it is exposed. Been covered up too long.

|

3/27/2018 9:51 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/28/2018 3:58 PM

I agree with pretty much everything in this thread except for wombat who i completly disagree with. I think you are a gifted contrarian my friend in all things you believe virtuous but in no way does your dialog always resemble fact no matter how well worded. You have a good heart with out a doubt.
You said one thing i agree with, "Small groups". All these groups like Antifa, blm, kkk, sjw are this tiny amount of people with the loudest and most offensive mouths. So polarized by social media but really if you turn that stuff off, where are they, except a few obvious cities and some college campuses? I travel all over and it was like hilary supporters, Where? Even facebook couldnt even fake the numbers. It was obvious to someone in the middle with no ties to either side like me. I am around tons of regular people and where are all these groups? Almost no where in the big picture.
Then social media has all the foriengers thinking its so scarry here and dangerous. Lol its 99% Disney land except in a few obvious cities that are easily avoided and you are safe there too in reality. If you have mild common sense you can make a great living in endless ways and opportunity is everywhere. People seem pretty happy out in real life and will still help a stranger of any shape, size or color no matter what is portrayed in the news.

|

I don't have to be as smart as you hope to be some day anymore. wink

3/27/2018 10:05 AM

Shawn142 wrote:

I think someone should explode Facebook and social media in general. I don't have an issue with someone holding a different ...more

I filter all the politics out on facebook with this:

https://www.fbpurity.com/

It works pretty darn good (if you use facebook via browser).

|

3/27/2018 2:25 PM

ns503 wrote:

This extreme ...more

THIS.
|

Braaapin' aint easy.

3/27/2018 2:27 PM

gabrielito wrote:

I think it has less to do with legit media (and everyone can find a flavor that speaks to them), but some of the whack-job media-as-entertainment/trolling is weird to watch. Infowars, etc.

|

3/27/2018 3:16 PM

Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want. And deserve to get it, good and hard.
H.L. Mencken

|

3/27/2018 3:26 PM

gabrielito wrote:

GuyB wrote:

I think it has less to do with legit media (and everyone can find a flavor that speaks to them), but some of the whack-job ...more

A good example of what media tries to do took place last week when Trump paid a visit to San Diego. All they showed on the news is crowds of protesters down at Chicano park by the Coronado bridge. Making it look like San Diego was on the verge on mass rioting when in reality it was a group of a couple hundred protesters peacefully demonstrating his presence in the city to take a look at border wall prototypes. What the media did not show was the tremendous welcoming the President was receiving at Miramar air base by the military and their families. Of course why pur that on the evening news when you can show videos of angry people with signs?

Despite what the news stations showed us, in San Diego it was business as usual. People of all colors, race, different political backgrounds, religions etc all working and playing together, getting along and enjoying another beautiful day. The world is a much better place than the media wants us to believe. If there is no bad news there is no news

|

3/27/2018 4:06 PM

Ha, first thing I thought when I saw the title was Jethro telling Jeb
Jethro-We learned gazintas today in school.
Jeb-Gazintas?
Jethro- You know 2 gazinta 6 three times
Yup, anything you don't like is protest worthy.
And everybody has a huge soap box AKA the interweb.
I almost wonder if everyone had to serve 2 years in the draft
folks would have to learn to get along. Also teach some of the
the young folk a trade to be able to make it on their own.
A lot of kids have no direction, but it's not just kids. Some of the
older folks have nothing to do but create turmoil also.

|

www.alljackedupinc.com home of the Switch Hauler®

3/27/2018 4:24 PM

KennyT wrote:

A good example of what media tries to do took place last week when Trump paid a visit to San Diego. All they showed on the ...more

What the media tries to do...that’s an easy catch-all.

Everyone has the choice to decide for themselves what’s right or wrong. You don’t have to accept the story.

Personally, I don’t like having my news spoon-fed to me. I also don’t hang out in places that specialize in confirmation bias.

|

3/27/2018 4:39 PM

GuyB wrote:

I think it has less to do with legit media (and everyone can find a flavor that speaks to them), but some of the whack-job ...more

KennyT wrote:

A good example of what media tries to do took place last week when Trump paid a visit to San Diego. All they showed on the ...more

GuyB wrote:

Everyone has the choice to decide for themselves what’s right or ...more

Well, yeah, but for some, it's not an easy thing to do.
2 or 3 times a month I have to tell Donna, when she's freaking out about global warming, or Trump, or how the mall visit won't be where she gets shot, it's just a bunch of hype.
It's media trying to sell ad space.

|

3/27/2018 5:12 PM

motogrady wrote:

2 or 3 times a month I have to tell Donna, when she's freaking out ...more

Something has to keep the lights on. Ads are what does it. That's how it's always been.

How many newspapers have you seen close up over the last decade? (Short answer: Tons of them.) For the ones that haven't closed (I'll use the L.A. Times as an example), they struggle with converting from print to digital, the loss of classifieds (to Craigslist, among others), budget cuts, and loss of experienced staff.

I don't think the quality is what it used to be at many newspapers. I guess you could say the same for some TV networks.

The media used to be the gatekeepers of info, and kept the playing field a little more level. There's still some good investigative journalism, but now any donkey with a whacked-out conspiracy theory is a "source." Trying to wade through what's legit (or not) is increasingly difficult.

|

3/27/2018 5:43 PM

GuyB wrote:

motogrady wrote:

GuyB wrote:

Something has to keep the lights on. Ads are what does it. That's how it's always been.

How many newspapers have you seen ...more

When I want to know more details about an issue, I will look for the story on line from any one of many sources but I want to hear from a beat reporter that nobody ever heard of. Not some shined up pretty face that's 90% opinion and 10% info. The facts and details are out there. You're just not likely to find em on cable news.

The confirmation bias issue is a real problem now. You don't have to leave your safe space anymore.

|

3/27/2018 5:43 PM

GuyB wrote:

motogrady wrote:

GuyB wrote:

How many newspapers have you seen ...more

Agreed.

Was thinking the other day, after the morning dose of yahoos homepage, there is very little in depth, unbiased,
factual news out there anymore.

O, but for the days of that old cop series on TV.

Was it Detective Joe Friday that used to say......"just the facts mam."?
|

3/28/2018 11:22 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/28/2018 11:27 AM

People get along. Never do I have face to face interactions and it ends up in a screaming match in issues. People get along. I think both sides of the media depict what’s happening at a small rare interval and make it seem like the entire country is up in a ruffle about it.

HAS ANYONE WATCHED ROSEANNE? The new season ? First episode is hilarious. It’s pretty much a fly-over-state household in my opinion. lol.

|

GP740
Since 1987

3/28/2018 11:23 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/28/2018 11:24 AM

All of this talk about the media... reminds me of the Don Henley song Dirty Laundry...
"We got the bubble headed
Bleached blonde
Comes on at five
She can tell you 'bout the plane crash
With a gleam in her eye
It's interesting when people die
Give us dirty laundry".

|

3/28/2018 3:24 PM

I don't think America is nearly as divided as people think...social media is full of the outspoken, vocal and extreme (on both sides) micro-minority of Americans...and the media is just trying to get eye balls on their channel...so they cater to the lowest common denominator by focusing on the radical outspoken micro-minority.

The VAST majority of Americans...we just want to live our lives...and really couldn't care less about a boarder wall, or abortion, or gay marriage or whatever the social issue is...because all those hot button social issues have absolutely ZERO affect on our lives. We don't care and we barely pay attention.

If you think the country is at war with itself and so divided its on the verge of collapsing...turn off social media...turn off the news (or at least the 24 hour entertainme...er..news networks...and don't read the comments on any news you read online, just read the news and form your own opinion) ...and actually talk with people. What you'll find is that most anyone you talk with is far more like you than they are different.

|

3/28/2018 6:34 PM

It's extremely complicated and ironically simple at the same time. When a majority of any given population are not living the life they believe they have earned or deserve they seek a reason or cause for their unhappiness. There will never be a shortage of shit bags that are willing to give folks the answer they want to hear. Illegal immigrants are taking your jobs, liberals are taking all your hard earned money to let welfare people live like kings, banks and corporations too big to fail getting taxpayer bailouts....the list is endless. If you're looking for someone to blame and hate for your lot in life there is no end of politicians, think tanks, pundits, social media freaks to provide you with direction. This situation isn't new....got a history book....read it. After WW1, Germany was in a sorry way....Adolph set 'm straight. Gave them someone to blame and hate. Told them he knew how to make the country great again. As I recall, that didn't didn't play out so well for them or anybody for that matter. Our country has problems. I'm not anywhere near smart enough to offer solutions but I do know without a doubt that HATE won't fix anything.

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

3/28/2018 7:06 PM

plowboy wrote:

It's extremely complicated and ironically simple at the same time. When a majority of any given population are not living the ...more

Well said.

|

3/31/2018 6:17 AM

plowboy wrote:

It's extremely complicated and ironically simple at the same time. When a majority of any given population are not living the ...more

Off topic but you might want to check Hitlers achievements bringing Germany out of the mess of ww1, for obvious reasons it’s sonething that get rarely discussed.

|