Discoloration on F150

hvaughn88
4/8/2017 6:24pm Edited Date/Time 4/25/2017 5:52pm
Any of you guys with the new body style white F150's noticed any yellowing of the bottom piece of the body right behind the back door? Also on the front bumper? I'm pretty sure these are a plastic piece. Mine is pretty obvious so I'm gonna take it into the dealer next week. Might be hard to tell, but here's some pics of what I'm talking about:

|
newmann
4/8/2017 6:41pm
Plastic components are painted separately from the truck. Probably at a totally different facility with a completely different type of paint. My 2017 white Tundra has three different shades of white between the plastic bumper end caps, plastic grille and the metal fenders. While truck shopping, the 2017 silver F250 Fords were horribly mottled/splotchy with fuel doors that looked two tone. Add in doors that were terribly misaligned and all the fuel doors rubbed against the bedside as you opened them. $70,000.00 goodness from Ford.
colintrax
Fantasy
2302nd
4/8/2017 6:43pm
I don't work in a body shop, so I don't know. However I doubt the cab has any plastic pieces. Did you check to see if it's got clear stickers? My Chevy car has clear vinyl along the bottom. Maybe yours is getting discolored from the sun.
hvaughn88
4/8/2017 6:45pm
newmann wrote:
Plastic components are painted separately from the truck. Probably at a totally different facility with a completely different type of paint. My 2017 white Tundra has...
Plastic components are painted separately from the truck. Probably at a totally different facility with a completely different type of paint. My 2017 white Tundra has three different shades of white between the plastic bumper end caps, plastic grille and the metal fenders. While truck shopping, the 2017 silver F250 Fords were horribly mottled/splotchy with fuel doors that looked two tone. Add in doors that were terribly misaligned and all the fuel doors rubbed against the bedside as you opened them. $70,000.00 goodness from Ford.
It's pretty frustrating, to say the least. Got any tips or things y'all do in your shop on these? I would assume that even if Ford (by some miracle) decided to swap those pieces out with new ones, it would probably still do the same thing?
hvaughn88
4/8/2017 6:47pm
colintrax wrote:
I don't work in a body shop, so I don't know. However I doubt the cab has any plastic pieces. Did you check to see if...
I don't work in a body shop, so I don't know. However I doubt the cab has any plastic pieces. Did you check to see if it's got clear stickers? My Chevy car has clear vinyl along the bottom. Maybe yours is getting discolored from the sun.
I'm pretty sure those small pieces are plastic on it. It sounds like a plastic material when you tap it.

The Shop

newmann
4/8/2017 6:48pm
Do you have the solid Oxford white or the tri coat pearl white? Pearl will never match between those pieces at the OEM level.
newmann
4/8/2017 6:50pm
colintrax wrote:
I don't work in a body shop, so I don't know. However I doubt the cab has any plastic pieces. Did you check to see if...
The 15 and up aluminum body Fords have lower plastic mouldings over the cab corners.
hvaughn88
4/8/2017 6:51pm
newmann wrote:
Do you have the solid Oxford white or the tri coat pearl white? Pearl will never match between those pieces at the OEM level.
It's the oxford white
colintrax
Fantasy
2302nd
4/8/2017 6:52pm
newmann wrote:
The 15 and up aluminum body Fords have lower plastic mouldings over the cab corners.
Ah ok, thanks for the FYI.
newmann
4/8/2017 6:55pm Edited Date/Time 4/8/2017 6:56pm
newmann wrote:
Plastic components are painted separately from the truck. Probably at a totally different facility with a completely different type of paint. My 2017 white Tundra has...
hvaughn88 wrote:
It's pretty frustrating, to say the least. Got any tips or things y'all do in your shop on these? I would assume that even if Ford...
It's pretty frustrating, to say the least. Got any tips or things y'all do in your shop on these? I would assume that even if Ford (by some miracle) decided to swap those pieces out with new ones, it would probably still do the same thing?
Without blending the pearl paint to adjacent panels,(bedside, cab side and rear door) the chances of getting a really solid butt match on that one piece is pretty slim.
newmann
4/8/2017 6:58pm
newmann wrote:
hvaughn88 wrote:
It's the oxford white
Solid Oxford white, you might have a excellent chance at getting a better color match. Ford will probably tell you it's "close enough" or an "acceptable" match.
hvaughn88
4/8/2017 6:58pm Edited Date/Time 4/8/2017 7:00pm
newmann wrote:
hvaughn88 wrote:
It's pretty frustrating, to say the least. Got any tips or things y'all do in your shop on these? I would assume that even if Ford...
newmann wrote:
Without blending the pearl paint to adjacent panels,(bedside, cab side and rear door) the chances of getting a really solid butt match on that one piece...
Without blending the pearl paint to adjacent panels,(bedside, cab side and rear door) the chances of getting a really solid butt match on that one piece is pretty slim.
Weeeellll shit. I've always been a white truck guy, but if they keep putting these plastic cap pieces on them, I'll probably be moving on to a different color on my next one. It's bugging the shit out of me.

Edit: just noticed you said that for the pearl.
MR. X
4/8/2017 7:07pm
As long as it's not tool and die related ,I'm in the clear.
Branham96
4/25/2017 5:32pm
newmann wrote:
hvaughn88 wrote:
It's the oxford white
I have one too! No discoloration as of yet but now you have me worried.

hvaughn88
4/25/2017 5:50pm
newmann wrote:
hvaughn88 wrote:
It's the oxford white
Branham96 wrote:
I have one too! No discoloration as of yet but now you have me worried.[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/04/25/190447/s1200_IMG_20170224_170033_995.jpg[/img]

Little update. My dealer said it shouldn't be doing that and they suspect an issue with the clearcoat on the plastic pieces. They are going to get it repainted as soon as I find the time to do so.
hvaughn88
4/25/2017 5:51pm Edited Date/Time 4/25/2017 5:52pm
newmann wrote:
hvaughn88 wrote:
It's the oxford white
Branham96 wrote:
I have one too! No discoloration as of yet but now you have me worried.[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/04/25/190447/s1200_IMG_20170224_170033_995.jpg[/img]

Looks like the only spot that you may need to keep an eye on yours is that plastic cap down in the bottom corner behind the passenger doors. Everywhere else mine is doing it is black on your truck so you should be good, I think. That's a nice stance you have there. Looks good!
Branham96
4/26/2017 1:34am
Thanks man I had to lift it a little to make up for it being the XL model.

Post a reply to: Discoloration on F150

The Latest