Disc Golf

FLmxer
Fantasy
989th
5/16/2020 9:58am Edited Date/Time 12/16/2020 1:41am
Anyone here ever play disc golf? I played 2 times in college in Gainesville around about 1994 but hardly remember because it was more of a safe place to be hammered and not get in trouble. I have a friend from Oregon that comes to visit friend's and family every year for a month and he always asks me to go because he is big into it. I passed every year until this year I went along and I have to say I had a great time and its great exercise and best of all free to play. There is about 6 good courses with in 30 minutes of my house which I never new. I am an avid golfer and disc golf is very similar. You can buy a 3 disc combo for $12 on Amazon. It seems to be huge out west with national tours and pro athletes from other sports entering tournaments. I have played about 12 times this year and was the last thing I did before I got sick. I even went a few times with my wife and daughter and had a great time. Its perfect for when regular golf season is max price. Every disc flies different and has a purpose and you can't throw them like a regular Frisby but more like an Olympic discus with max spin to fly. There are drivers, mid range, putters etc. I obviously love options. This is about half the collection already. You don't want to see my room of golf clubs. Lol

|
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
5/16/2020 10:06am
I've heard of it years ago but never played.

Is it scored like regular golf? Par 3, par 4, and par 5?
zehn
5/16/2020 10:13am Edited Date/Time 5/16/2020 10:17am
I play a lot. We have some really incredible courses up here, including 3-4 in parks/forested areas that are really quite challenging.

One course in particular, at Kincaid Park, has Pro/AM tees, Pro/AM par, etc. Added bonus of a very high likelihood of seeing wildlife. We run into moose probably ~50% of the time out there, and I've seen porcupine, lynx, bears, etc. as well. There are also incredible views on the course of the surrounding mountains, etc. We can see Denali from Hole 3 sometimes depending on weather.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=695

I'm a pretty good AM player, my PR is -9 on the AM tees over 18 holes
zehn
5/16/2020 10:13am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
I've heard of it years ago but never played.

Is it scored like regular golf? Par 3, par 4, and par 5?
Yes, scored exactly the same as golf
Chance1216
5/16/2020 10:35am
I’ve never played but, a buddy of mine is really into it.

The Shop

avidchimp
Fantasy
1102nd
5/16/2020 10:51am
Chance1216 wrote:
I’ve never played but, a buddy of mine is really into it.

I've played a couple times up at our place in the Tetons and it's awesome. I suck really badly, but ya know, good excuse to drink beer. Smile
KMC440
5/16/2020 11:07am
We played a lot back in the mid 80's with standard 145's not those silly disc golf things. One day this guy hucks a disc vertically onto the ground and we watched as it rolled forever and came to a rest 30ft from the basket. LAMEST THING I EVER SAW !!
Then I saw others doing it the same way and it totally went against my belief in what the game was supposed to be about.

We then went on to start beer bottle cap golf. Now that's a game!
zehn
5/16/2020 11:39am
Roller shots are absolutely a valid technique but they don't work for many holes

And I wouldn't go golfing with a baseball bat. 145s are great for a lot of things but disc golf is not one of them
KMC440
5/16/2020 2:03pm Edited Date/Time 5/16/2020 2:06pm
zehn wrote:
Roller shots are absolutely a valid technique but they don't work for many holes And I wouldn't go golfing with a baseball bat. 145s are great...
Roller shots are absolutely a valid technique but they don't work for many holes

And I wouldn't go golfing with a baseball bat. 145s are great for a lot of things but disc golf is not one of them
I get your point... it just was odd as I know we would've never thought of doing that.

145's were what we all had ... it's more challenging I can tell you that. I remember there were 119's, 145's and 165's. Haaaah how old am I ... cripes!
JeremyK
5/16/2020 3:14pm
I've never played but it seems like it would be OK. I was fishing a couple years ago and something splashed to my left and i never saw what it was ,about a minute later some dude walked up and asked if i saw a disc fly by LOL.
KMC440
5/16/2020 8:00pm
Funny how back-in-the-day seemed whenever we met up at the parks that had it the unmistakable scent of the MaryJane would soon be wafting through the air.
You think they'd have "pot carts" out on the course ah-la drink carts for golf.
crowe176
5/17/2020 3:20am
I’ve played a few times. I suck about the same as real golf.
5/17/2020 6:48am
I used to play a lot and I still play 8-10 times a year. Now that my son is going off to college and I do not have tennis tournaments to take him to I will play a lot more. I have the itch again. I started playing in 1990. Lots of courses here in the south. I live in Augusta and I think we have 15 courses within 35 minutes. We las have the headquarters of the PDGA.
FLmxer
Fantasy
989th
5/17/2020 8:53am
We actually follow a bunch of guys vlogs on YouTube for tips and they do a bunch of challenges that are entertaining like playing rounds in NFL stadiums etc. There is an RC like dominant player on the tour named Paul Mcbeth who almost never loses it seems.
I see where in some places you can be on a golf course that has a regular green and then a basket for disc golf off to the side so a regular golfer and a disc golfer can play together and share a cart or what ever. Pretty cool. I have climbed trees, fences and waded in ponds chasing discs. An extending pole like a modified golf ball retriever is very handy. I have one where I just bent up a piece of aluminum for the hook. It has saved me many times already and fits conveniently in my bag strap pad actually. There is an alligator like spring loaded tip you can buy that clamps down when the disc bumps a trigger and activates a spring. A pic of my 2 blue putters. The top one is heavy and sticks for wind and the bottom one glides, floats and skips real easy and seems to be most popular disc for putting which like ball golf is where the money is.

zehn
5/17/2020 10:13am Edited Date/Time 5/17/2020 10:14am
KMC440 wrote:
Funny how back-in-the-day seemed whenever we met up at the parks that had it the unmistakable scent of the MaryJane would soon be wafting through the...
Funny how back-in-the-day seemed whenever we met up at the parks that had it the unmistakable scent of the MaryJane would soon be wafting through the air.
You think they'd have "pot carts" out on the course ah-la drink carts for golf.
The pot carts thing is a good idea but no way that would ever happen Tongue

Very common to catch a hint (or more) of smoke on the courses here.

We actually have a course near downtown that they closed down during the summer because kids would smoke so much weed while playing. Normally while hauling around a rack of beers to go with it.

I may or may not have been one of those kids back in the day Whistling

Now that course is only open during the winter, when we get 4-5 hours of sunlight a day and the average temp hovers around 15 degrees for months
avidchimp
Fantasy
1102nd
5/17/2020 12:28pm
zehn wrote:
The pot carts thing is a good idea but no way that would ever happen :P Very common to catch a hint (or more) of smoke...
The pot carts thing is a good idea but no way that would ever happen Tongue

Very common to catch a hint (or more) of smoke on the courses here.

We actually have a course near downtown that they closed down during the summer because kids would smoke so much weed while playing. Normally while hauling around a rack of beers to go with it.

I may or may not have been one of those kids back in the day Whistling

Now that course is only open during the winter, when we get 4-5 hours of sunlight a day and the average temp hovers around 15 degrees for months
People walk down Ventura blvd here smoking spliff's. Nobody cares. Smile

Post a reply to: Disc Golf

The Latest