Did I waste a a steak?

brogge
10/15/2017 6:54pm
I don't post much but wanted to thank you. I usually fuck up everything I grill so this was a great alternative for me. Holy shit was that good. I went just a bit over my target of medium rare, but no harm done. Still exceptionally delicious. Grandpa's cast iron from 1932 has a new lease on life.

IWreckALot
10/16/2017 5:25am
brogge wrote:
I don't post much but wanted to thank you. I usually fuck up everything I grill so this was a great alternative for me. Holy shit...
I don't post much but wanted to thank you. I usually fuck up everything I grill so this was a great alternative for me. Holy shit was that good. I went just a bit over my target of medium rare, but no harm done. Still exceptionally delicious. Grandpa's cast iron from 1932 has a new lease on life.

Those cast iron skillets are money. My neighbor grills probably 5 days a week. Makes the backyard smell delicious. He uses the cast iron skillet every night for his vegetables.

On the steak, all I do is layer the thing with salt and some fresh cracked pepper. When I say layer it with salt, I don't think you can over do the salt. I put a ton on it and it makes it so freaking tender.
newmann
10/16/2017 5:52am
brogge wrote:
I don't post much but wanted to thank you. I usually fuck up everything I grill so this was a great alternative for me. Holy shit...

The Shop

ns503
10/16/2017 9:30am
reded wrote:
Looking forward to putting the smoker to work tomorrow. Trying a new recipe......[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/10/14/220214/s1200_IMG_0244.jpg[/img]
Looking forward to putting the smoker to work tomorrow. Trying a new recipe......

Our Thanksgiving up here was weekend before last. Kids all away at University this year, so was also the first weekend they were all back. Decided to make it a humdinger & fire up the smoker Saturday - despite the usual full course turkey event Sunday. So Saturday evening I was in a rib coma, Sunday evening it was a turkey coma.

Ahhhh...
MelonFan123
10/16/2017 10:36am
this thread has all sorts of win! I'll be adding to the gallery next time I 'que up some beefy goodness.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
10/16/2017 11:15am
I honestly don't get how someone can be vegetarian/vegan. They're totally missing out.
newmann
10/16/2017 11:41am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
I honestly don't get how someone can be vegetarian/vegan. They're totally missing out.
I have a friend who was stuck in traffic behind a chicken truck. Now she refuses to eat chicken unless it was raised in a country club.

Tracktor
10/16/2017 11:52am
If you aren't reverse searing your steaks you are missing out. "pre-heat" for 45-60 minutes(depends on thickness) on smoker(or oven but I prefer smoker) at 180 or so and finish on grill or cast iron pan at high heat for 1 minute each side. Perfect steaks every time. I did pork chops last night like this also and hands down the best I've ever done. I do a shit ton of smoking/grilling as we raise our own pork & beef and if we don't eat it we run out of freezer room...............
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
10/16/2017 12:14pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
newmann wrote:
I have a friend who was stuck in traffic behind a chicken truck. Now she refuses to eat chicken unless it was raised in a country...
I have a friend who was stuck in traffic behind a chicken truck. Now she refuses to eat chicken unless it was raised in a country club.

That's a little weird if you ask me. Chicken is chicken no matter where/how it was raised. It might of been raised differently but it doesn't change the fact that it was killed and that it's on your plate.

To each their own I guess. Love chicken.
Hut
10/16/2017 7:52pm

steed 2.0
10/17/2017 12:00am Edited Date/Time 10/17/2017 12:18am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Well, I tried a half year vegan not to bad but, didn't work out for me (lost too much weight) cut down on my meat intake by 50%, now once a week beef and few times a week some chicken... no moral issue just for my own health
IWreckALot
10/17/2017 4:49am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
That's a little weird if you ask me. Chicken is chicken no matter where/how it was raised. It might of been raised differently but it doesn't...
That's a little weird if you ask me. Chicken is chicken no matter where/how it was raised. It might of been raised differently but it doesn't change the fact that it was killed and that it's on your plate.

I'm no peta person. I like a good steak, or slab of chicken. Really all cuts of meat. But I'm also not in favor of torture or overgrowing chickens. Some of the hatcheries are downright unsanitary, and cruel with their chickens.

Have you ever had a free range chicken egg from someone you know. Scrambled eggs are so much better when they're not that white chicken egg you get at the grocery store. The yolk is a deeper darker color yellow and has a more bold flavor to it. Definitely worth a try if you ever get the opportunity.
Hut
10/17/2017 6:23am Edited Date/Time 10/17/2017 6:24am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
That's a little weird if you ask me. Chicken is chicken no matter where/how it was raised. It might of been raised differently but it doesn't...

IWreckALot wrote:
I'm no peta person. I like a good steak, or slab of chicken. Really all cuts of meat. But I'm also not in favor of torture...
I'm no peta person. I like a good steak, or slab of chicken. Really all cuts of meat. But I'm also not in favor of torture or overgrowing chickens. Some of the hatcheries are downright unsanitary, and cruel with their chickens.

Have you ever had a free range chicken egg from someone you know. Scrambled eggs are so much better when they're not that white chicken egg you get at the grocery store. The yolk is a deeper darker color yellow and has a more bold flavor to it. Definitely worth a try if you ever get the opportunity.
Right on!
Hopefully tger is a special section in hell for people that are unnecessarily cruel to the defenseless
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
10/17/2017 6:54am Edited Date/Time 10/17/2017 10:05am
-MAVERICK- wrote:

IWreckALot wrote:
I'm no peta person. I like a good steak, or slab of chicken. Really all cuts of meat. But I'm also not in favor of torture...

I get what you're saying and all but it still doesn't change the fact that if there's meat on your plate it still involved killing animals. Obviously I don't support torturing any animal since I'm an animal lover but meat on your plate is still meat on your plate no matter how it got there. Whether it comes from a superfarm, locally or your neighbor's backyard an animal was killed in the process so I find choosing where it comes from a little bit hypocritical in a way. Why? Because you're still eating it. If you're choosing where it comes from for the taste alone that's different.

As for your free range egg question I have never had one. Personally I hate yolks and only eat the egg white. Been that way since I was a kid so not sure that it would make that much of a difference if any but I obviously don't know.

Either way I still think having meat in your diet is healthy to have.

Now back to our regular scheduled programming of posting tasty looking meat pictures.
steed 2.0
10/17/2017 9:23am Edited Date/Time 10/17/2017 9:24am
-MAVERICK- wrote:

IWreckALot wrote:

-MAVERICK- wrote:
I get what you're saying and all but it still doesn't change the fact that if there's meat on your plate it still involved killing animals...
I get what you're saying and all but it still doesn't change the fact that if there's meat on your plate it still involved killing animals. Obviously I don't support torturing any animal since I'm an animal lover but meat on your plate is still meat on your plate no matter how it got there. Whether it comes from a superfarm, locally or your neighbor's backyard an animal was killed in the process so I find choosing where it comes from a little bit hypocritical in a way. Why? Because you're still eating it. If you're choosing where it comes from for the taste alone that's different.

As for your free range egg question I have never had one. Personally I hate yolks and only eat the egg white. Been that way since I was a kid so not sure that it would make that much of a difference if any but I obviously don't know.

Either way I still think having meat in your diet is healthy to have.

Now back to our regular scheduled programming of posting tasty looking meat pictures.
It's true ... the egg yolk is different, I buy organic eggs these are a bit better, but still not the same as the home reared chicken... most broiler chickens are ready by 6 weeks down here... so by the time they may realise their life sucks they are gone and chickens can't fly so they are stupid birds anyway haha Wink
Old-Man
10/17/2017 10:05am
newmann wrote:
I have a friend who was stuck in traffic behind a chicken truck. Now she refuses to eat chicken unless it was raised in a country...

Pass on the left
426Hemi
Fantasy
2747th
10/17/2017 11:13am
This thread made me so hungry I pan fried a steak for breakfast
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
10/17/2017 11:30am
426Hemi wrote:
This thread made me so hungry I pan fried a steak for breakfast
Awesome! Isn't that called a trucker's breakfast?

I have to try and avoid it because each time someone posts a new pic it just makes me hungry. It all looks so damn tasty.
plowboy
10/18/2017 6:06pm
Old-Man wrote:
Pass on the left
My first paying job at 8 years old was catching the chickens that got loose when they unloaded the trucks at the processing plant. A nickel apiece. Back then a pop cost a dime and a big ole 3 musketeers bar was 5 cents. The only person happier than me was the dentist. The plant was a fairly horrific place...for a chicken. It just made me hungry for KFC. Love me some yard bird.
steed 2.0
10/25/2017 9:30am
Today We Are Gonna Cook A Dutch Classic Hachee Stew (similar to Irish stew)

Post a reply to: Did I waste a a steak?

The Latest