Deer Hunters

captmoto
6/26/2018 10:19pm Edited Date/Time 7/19/2018 5:23am
I need a new jacket or coat for hunting. What is the well dressed Vitard wearing when hunting? Out west here the weather will be dry and temps will probably not go lower than 20 and as high as 70. So what's out there? Because of the temp swings I would like a matched system to peel off as the day warms up. I looked at Bass Pro and Cabelas and I am not really moved by anything there. If that is the go to, I'll give it another look. I would like to keep it below $300 if I can.
Thanks guys.
|
MR. X
6/27/2018 6:54am
I never pulled the trigger on any fancy hunting clothes . My typical outerwear during bow season is a flannel top and bottom rain gear and from there I use a base layer and thermal layer as weather dictates . I bought it a few years ago at gander mtn. It's held up well so far.
hvaughn88
6/27/2018 7:26am
captmoto wrote:
I need a new jacket or coat for hunting. What is the well dressed Vitard wearing when hunting? Out west here the weather will be dry...
I need a new jacket or coat for hunting. What is the well dressed Vitard wearing when hunting? Out west here the weather will be dry and temps will probably not go lower than 20 and as high as 70. So what's out there? Because of the temp swings I would like a matched system to peel off as the day warms up. I looked at Bass Pro and Cabelas and I am not really moved by anything there. If that is the go to, I'll give it another look. I would like to keep it below $300 if I can.
Thanks guys.
I bought the ASAT Highwood Hoody last year and its been one of my favorite purchases ever. The ASAT pattern tends to be quite the topic for debate, but I'll just say I trust it and leave it at that. But the actual material and hoody itself is incredible. I prefer lighter, slimmer layers as opposed to a single heavy coat, mainly because we can have temperature swings similar to what you described and I love for my stuff not to be in the way when I'm bow hunting. My only complaint about it is the lack of pockets around the waist. It's not a huge deal when I'm actually in the stand, but I do like to have at lease a slash pocket when I'm standing around shooting the shit before and after hunts. I got their Knarr pant and it's been a game changer, too. They are light and flexible, but still offer good warmth on milder days, and cold days are no problem when coupled with a good base layer. I'm also going to buy some First Lite stuff for the upcoming season. Their merino wool seems to top notch and purpose built for what I like, so you may give them a look.
hvaughn88
6/27/2018 7:31am
MR. X wrote:
I never pulled the trigger on any fancy hunting clothes . My typical outerwear during bow season is a flannel top and bottom rain gear and...
I never pulled the trigger on any fancy hunting clothes . My typical outerwear during bow season is a flannel top and bottom rain gear and from there I use a base layer and thermal layer as weather dictates . I bought it a few years ago at gander mtn. It's held up well so far.
Love to see a fellow nock on fan
MR. X
6/27/2018 8:18am
MR. X wrote:
I never pulled the trigger on any fancy hunting clothes . My typical outerwear during bow season is a flannel top and bottom rain gear and...
hvaughn88 wrote:
John is a great guy ,he does a ton for the archery community , I learn so much form his podcasts.

The Shop

hvaughn88
6/27/2018 8:25am
MR. X wrote:
hvaughn88 wrote:
MR. X wrote:
John is a great guy ,he does a ton for the archery community , I learn so much form his podcasts.
Absolutely. I have to admit that I often have to rewind and listen to some of the things over again to try and picture it in my head. Definitely lucky to have him putting out his podcasts. I'm on the latest one with FOC right now with Aron Snyder. I've been looking forward to it after listening to the guy with the new broadheads on Gritty's pod.
Foghorn
6/27/2018 9:46am Edited Date/Time 6/27/2018 9:47am
The Filson Tin Cloth is one of my favorites. Pricey though.
HD1200
6/27/2018 10:03am
Personally I use Scentlok Savannah gear. I have the coveralls and the jacket/pants as well. I buy a size larger than I need and layer up underneath when the temps get colder. Here in GA archery season it is usually to damn hot and it's hard to wear anything, haha!

Team Ideal
6/27/2018 12:54pm
I'll second the Scentlok but I use the midweight and layer up or down accordingly underneath. I'm not sold on the scent control part but they make nice clothing that has lasted well for me. I used to keep an eye on Dick's Sporting goods because they would have great sales on it. I'm not much of a supporter of theirs (Dick's) anymore though.

btw I'm from south central IL and I do have some of the Savannah gear for early season but from mid Nov on you normally need the midweight here. by late Dec I'm not sure you could layer up enough under the Savannah.
6/27/2018 3:04pm
Sitka has a pretty neat pattern this year. Personally I just grab whatever is on clearance.
Daniel816
7/1/2018 3:36pm
Where out West are you? I’m in Nevada. Bow season gets pretty interesting with the temp swings. When I leave camp I have a light long sleeve or under armor heat gear top on under a camo shirt. Then I have a under armor pull over that’s really light and awesome for mid mornings and if it’s a cold morning I bought a wool lined under armor coat a size larger than normal and just throw that on over. I’m really thinking about getting either some First Lite or ASAT stuff moving forward.
dirtnapper
7/8/2018 9:22pm
MR. X wrote:
I'm with this guy. I've never been a huge spender on hunting clothes. I'm ok with some really warm comfortable stuff from Wal-Mart, doesn't bother me.

I have hunted the peak of the Alberta whitetail rut in Nov when it has been -25 out. Thats cold! Layers, layers and layers.
captmoto
7/8/2018 9:38pm
Daniel816 wrote:
Where out West are you? I’m in Nevada. Bow season gets pretty interesting with the temp swings. When I leave camp I have a light long...
Where out West are you? I’m in Nevada. Bow season gets pretty interesting with the temp swings. When I leave camp I have a light long sleeve or under armor heat gear top on under a camo shirt. Then I have a under armor pull over that’s really light and awesome for mid mornings and if it’s a cold morning I bought a wool lined under armor coat a size larger than normal and just throw that on over. I’m really thinking about getting either some First Lite or ASAT stuff moving forward.
California, Eastern Sierra. X9a runs to the California/Nevada border along highway 120.
MR. X
7/16/2018 7:42am
Those God damn hipsters better not make camo cool and drive up the prices !AngrySilly
7/16/2018 11:57am
I wear a blue parka. Works fine when sitting in my truck pointing the spotlight in the woods as I drive down the road.
SEEMEFIRST
7/19/2018 5:23am
I got some "Game Winner" stuff from Academy.
Quiet, comfortable, zip out liner for warmer days.
Lots of pockets, and inexpensive.

Quality has been good so far.

Post a reply to: Deer Hunters

The Latest