Decisions decisions. Coming back.

1/27/2021 5:49pm Edited Date/Time 1/31/2021 11:13am
I know this is in the wrong forum - that’s intentional. I just don’t want some 15 year old’s opinions though and I trust y’all. Need your help.

I took my son to the Houston Supercross - and now he’s been asking for a bike - every day. He never wanted one when he was younger but now he does.

I haven’t raced motocross in 15 years - always was a 2stroke guy (250 B class rider) at the end. He’s a grounded kid and knows that motocross will never be his #1 sport. I miss it and it’d be cool to enjoy some track days with my son.

I was thinking along these lines and y’all can tell me I’m nuts or whatever. He is a bigger 14 year old. About a month ago he weighed at 247lbs and is almost 6’3 and still growing. I’m 270 and 6’4” and late 40’s(beer, shift work, smoked meats etc.).

I figure I’ll buy a YZ or KX250 4 stroke first and teach him to ride it. I know I know! A yz125 would possibly be better. But I’m being selfish - see I don’t know if I want a 450 or not. So I can ride the 250f too and see if that’s what I want. Then if it’s too much for him and he’s not having fun I can buy him that yz125 and if I’m not clearing stuff with the 250f I can get a 450 and drop a tooth or two on the rear sprocket.

I guess I’m worried I’m putting him on too fast of a bike for his first bike -and can we even get suspension springs that’ll get the sag close?

Also I’ve considered a yz250 and an ESR big bore kit for myself. Besides, “hey fat ass lose some weight” what do y’all think I should do?
|
Chance1216
1/27/2021 6:15pm
Size isn’t as important as skill set in my opinion. He’s a beginner and you want to think of something more friendly so he isn’t scared off. My son wrecked his CR 125 a few years ago, became scared of the bike and he’s not the same since. All it took was him not getting on the brakes fast enough to make a turn. He was 17 at the time I believe.

In regards to weight and size, I’m 5’ 11” and weigh 245. Yes you can get springs and sag set up accordingly.
yz133rider
1/27/2021 6:23pm
I’d think the Honda crf250f or a used crf230f - not the r or x, not the race bikes but the beginner oriented trail bike for him. Let him learn to ride, get used to it. When you sell it you’ll likely break even if you bought used.

And for you a 250f will be fine, and it’ll help you work off the shift work and smoked meat side effects!!
1/27/2021 7:42pm
Thanks for the ideas guys - trr230 or crf250f it is.
APLMAN99
1/27/2021 8:04pm
You are correct on not going to the 125, I think. The last time I rode one I was about 225 and I still feel guilty about all the abuse I had to do with that poor clutch......

Personally I think that the trail riding idea is awesome. And if he hasn't ridden all that much in the last several years, I'd take him to at least one session of a riding school by someone local. The best money I ever spend when my son moved to a clutch bike was getting him lessons from one of the local pros who worked with kids a lot. Teaching him the 'proper' way to clutch, use the proper body position, use the front brake, etc. could have made him want to kill me and vice versa. When it was an expert that wasn't his dad, it was different. And my oldest son was a VERY easy kid to teach for me, but it was just a lot better that a few of these things weren't things that we had to deal with together!!!!!!

The Shop

1/27/2021 8:06pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
You are correct on not going to the 125, I think. The last time I rode one I was about 225 and I still feel guilty...
You are correct on not going to the 125, I think. The last time I rode one I was about 225 and I still feel guilty about all the abuse I had to do with that poor clutch......

Personally I think that the trail riding idea is awesome. And if he hasn't ridden all that much in the last several years, I'd take him to at least one session of a riding school by someone local. The best money I ever spend when my son moved to a clutch bike was getting him lessons from one of the local pros who worked with kids a lot. Teaching him the 'proper' way to clutch, use the proper body position, use the front brake, etc. could have made him want to kill me and vice versa. When it was an expert that wasn't his dad, it was different. And my oldest son was a VERY easy kid to teach for me, but it was just a lot better that a few of these things weren't things that we had to deal with together!!!!!!
Man that’s half the fun of a 125 - burning up the clutch corner to corner 😂 - good advice on the lessons.
APLMAN99
1/27/2021 8:18pm Edited Date/Time 1/27/2021 8:18pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
You are correct on not going to the 125, I think. The last time I rode one I was about 225 and I still feel guilty...

Man that’s half the fun of a 125 - burning up the clutch corner to corner 😂 - good advice on the lessons.
Yeah the lessons weren’t really to make him ‘faster’ (even though it did), it was to make him ‘safer’ and it did that a LOT. And we didn’t have to scream at each other once!!!!
Deja New
1/28/2021 12:41am
That you were smart enough to ask here and not in Moto shows you’re ready Smile I would start with good used 125 or 250f see if you really want to get back in. I bought a 250 2 stoke after about 20 years away and the arm pump was incredible. Don’t think you can jump on and ride like you did before as the ER will be waiting..... take it easy and have fun stay safe and hope your boy likes it to so much fun with the family Smile
Homey55
1/28/2021 6:50am
6'3" 250...have you thought about an XR400? That 230/250 is going to get really small really quick. The 400 is full-size and very mellow. The main downside is starting it, but it's not too bad once you figure it out. The DR400 has an electric start so that could be another option.
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
1/30/2021 5:59pm
Your kid is 6'3" and 250 lbs.? He'll hate learning how to use a clutch on a 125. There's just not enough bottom end to move him. A 250f with a mellow tune is just the ticket.
OG725
1/30/2021 7:12pm Edited Date/Time 1/30/2021 7:13pm
KTM 350!
G-man
1/31/2021 7:31am
APLMAN99 wrote:

Yes Trail Riding is AWESOME and good for the soul....Cool

nytsmaC
1/31/2021 10:25am Edited Date/Time 1/31/2021 10:31am
I’ll weigh in as a 6’6 and presently 300lb guy who has ridden and raced on/off for almost 30 years. I didn’t own a 125 until I was in my 30’s. I quickly learned that it wasn’t enough, so I put a 144 kit on it and it was a game changer. I’ve spent most of the last ten years on 144’s and have had more fun and better racing results than ever before. I won the local 250C class title and finished 3/rd/4th in +30 Open two years in a row being 250-260lbs on a 144. I was moving up to B the following year but heavy workload took over and I fell out of race shape, haven’t raced much since and my peak was over.

I’m not all proud of winning the C class, just wanted to use it as an example of how if you’re riding for fun and not taking racing too seriously, you are not too big for a small bore. They are a blast and at the C class level it won’t hold you back.

I now have a 300, because my Mx days are over due to injury and I’m just trail rider Jones now, but if I were getting back into MX I’d get another 144 pronto, even at 300lbs.

You really can’t go wrong, any bike is great for getting his feet wet and a 125/144 might not be good for him, depending on how he rides. I just wanted to share my experience though as I don’t think it should be ruled out.
1/31/2021 11:13am
nytsmaC wrote:
I’ll weigh in as a 6’6 and presently 300lb guy who has ridden and raced on/off for almost 30 years. I didn’t own a 125 until...
I’ll weigh in as a 6’6 and presently 300lb guy who has ridden and raced on/off for almost 30 years. I didn’t own a 125 until I was in my 30’s. I quickly learned that it wasn’t enough, so I put a 144 kit on it and it was a game changer. I’ve spent most of the last ten years on 144’s and have had more fun and better racing results than ever before. I won the local 250C class title and finished 3/rd/4th in +30 Open two years in a row being 250-260lbs on a 144. I was moving up to B the following year but heavy workload took over and I fell out of race shape, haven’t raced much since and my peak was over.

I’m not all proud of winning the C class, just wanted to use it as an example of how if you’re riding for fun and not taking racing too seriously, you are not too big for a small bore. They are a blast and at the C class level it won’t hold you back.

I now have a 300, because my Mx days are over due to injury and I’m just trail rider Jones now, but if I were getting back into MX I’d get another 144 pronto, even at 300lbs.

You really can’t go wrong, any bike is great for getting his feet wet and a 125/144 might not be good for him, depending on how he rides. I just wanted to share my experience though as I don’t think it should be ruled out.
Good info thank you nytsmaC. I had wondered about a 144 kit or a 150sx

Post a reply to: Decisions decisions. Coming back.

The Latest