Dang this is so hard to do..... :(

G-man
5/3/2017 9:43pm Edited Date/Time 5/7/2017 4:44am
The downside of owning pets is when they get old and their bodies start to shut down.

I've had dogs and cats my whole life and the older I get the harder it is to do it seems. I'm going to have to put my sweet Elsie girl down. Sad

She's 18 yrs old and has been drinking a lot of water for the last 2 yrs which usually means her kidneys and has lost weight.

About 10 days ago she started to go blind and I think now she is totally blind. I have to take her to the water dish and also the litter box.

I'm hesitant to do it but I know it must be done.

Seems like yesterday when I brought her home to meet RJ.

The first day I got her I thought I lost her as she climbed up and into a cabinet and I could not find her.

This is happier times when she was full of spunk. She use to literally do bermshots and bounce off the wall and she also would fetch a sponge ball for me. Sadly the only one left in this pic is Smoky in the dog bed.

Her and Bailey had a Love/Hate relationship and while she was my smallest pet she ruled the roost.

I have to do this soon and am really dreading it.....

|
akillerwombat
5/3/2017 9:50pm
Sorry to hear that dude – after a lifetime of owning dogs I got my first rescue cat a few years and I can't even imagine what it would be like without him around.
G-man
5/3/2017 10:22pm
Thanks man, I wish they could live longer.
Each day seems to be worse....

Might hafta do it after work tomorrow. Sad

kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
5/3/2017 10:33pm Edited Date/Time 5/3/2017 10:35pm
Sorry man. Its gut wrenching.

Try to take solace in how fortunate you were to have her so long.
rancor19
5/4/2017 1:32am Edited Date/Time 5/4/2017 1:37am
kzizok wrote:
Sorry man. Its gut wrenching.

Try to take solace in how fortunate you were to have her so long.
At risk of sounding like I have a heart, I'll add to what he(kzizok) said and say you should be proud to have given them a good life and home. They were lucky too.

Fuzzy buddies are awesome Smile

The Shop

5/4/2017 2:24am Edited Date/Time 5/4/2017 2:26am
Sry man, it's a horrible thing to go through. I couldn't come close to holding the tears back when I lost mine, no chance. But as above, any pain you're going through now is worth the memories and life you gave her.
newmann
5/4/2017 3:54am
Hate to hear that Gman, cats are the coolest. My Johnny O is pushing 15.
71Fish
5/4/2017 4:13am
Sorry to hear this man. I can't imagine. When I just think about those days in my future I get choked up.
BMR179
Fantasy
1240th
5/4/2017 5:43am
I feel for you G-man. Pets are part of the family and it is tough to let them go. You made her life great and she yours. Elsie and the rest of your "family" will be waiting for you when you get there.
JAFO92
5/4/2017 5:55am
Newmann is right, cats are the coolest and Ive had them all my life and always will.

Youre a good man for handling this difficult part of their life. Hang in there fella.
twnorton
5/4/2017 7:53am
One of the moments I am not looking forward to as well. My kitty is going to be 12 in July, hasn't slowed down yet, but I know it will be coming sooner or later. He is my best friend and I don't want to imagine life without him.

We are here for you G-Man
JRT812
5/4/2017 7:58am
Bummer man.
MudPup545
5/4/2017 8:01am
It's rough bud, hard thing to do but, it's time. Very sorry.
newmann
5/4/2017 8:59am
A few months back, one of our strays who has been with us for about 12 years passed away. She was always a bit skittish and would hardly ever let you touch her. While she would be eating I would scratch behind her ears and under her chin. She would be fine with it, enjoying the hell out of it actually until she looked up and realized it was me. Then she'd freak and bolt. The last two days though she would climb up in my lap or rub up against my legs until I would pick her up and hold her. Following morning she wouldn't get up for breakfast so off to the vet we went. Vet really couldn't tell what was wrong with her so they wanted to give her some fluids and keep her overnight. Didn't make it till morning. Sad day, but what was weird was the other cats were bummed out about it for what seemed like weeks.

Did I mention my wife is the crazy cat lady?

5/4/2017 9:16am
18 is a long time to have cat. My record cat is 10 years, then feline leukemia took over.
AHRMA361
Fantasy
262nd
5/4/2017 10:59am
Sad to hear Gary. These times always leave a hole in your heart. Sounds like she lived a good, full life. RIP Elsie. Sad
JAFO92
5/4/2017 11:55am

newmann wrote: Did I mention my wife is the crazy cat lady?

Ive met your lovely wife, and she is a sane cat lady.

However she IS crazy for marrying a bondo peddler who huffs paint fumes for a living. Wink

sumdood
Fantasy
1333rd
5/4/2017 2:24pm
Sorry to hear that, I can relate. Our cat Spot turned 19 in April, he's a fighter but is gradually getting lighter and more wobbly, he can see ok but his hearing aint the best. We know his days are numbered, when we got him our son was 6 years old, he's 25 now Blink , and Spot has outlived 3 dogs Sad
This is Spot, he's looked pissed since day 1

Sorry man it aint easy...

ocscottie
5/4/2017 3:13pm
Damn G i feel your pain brother, our family cat is in the process of going, she has been laying in her chair for a day and a half and looks horrible, i think pops is taking her in today. Sad deal man.
BMSOBx2
5/4/2017 4:04pm
Sorry to hear that Gman. Been there done that. Tory, the family cat for 12 years began to have increasing health issues.

My daughter brought her home one day when she was about 6 from someone outside the local supermarket as a barely weaned kitten. Part of the family doesn't even begin to describe the place she held in our lives. I swear she thought she was human just like the rest of us.

The time finally came when, after months of little mobility & energy, I found her convulsing in her favorite spot on the front porch swing. A trip to the vet confirmed our worst fears. The doc mercifully put her to rest while I held her in my arms. I cried like a baby. Its hard man.
5/4/2017 4:20pm
So sorry They are a big part of the family. Had to put my boxer down two years ago. Only seven years old. Bone cancer sucks. Hang in there Sad
G-man
5/4/2017 6:32pm Edited Date/Time 5/4/2017 7:07pm
Thanks guys I really appreciate the kind words and your stories and yes I agree cats can be really cool.

Elsie was a special one to me.

One of her tricks was I could throw a sponge ball against the wall and it would go down two flights of stairs and she would run and get it (jumping the last set), bring it back to me and drop it right at my feet better than my dog would do hahaha. Grinning

She was one of a kind and I will miss her.
Just got home from work and miss seeing her as we always looked forward to seeing each other.
AHRMA361
Fantasy
262nd
5/4/2017 6:50pm
We had a great family cat that loved to retrieve paper wads and drop them on your lap.

The best to you at this tough time G-man. Take a ride on your bike and think of all the good times you two had together. Helps the healing process just like your story above.
MJC
5/5/2017 5:12am
newmann wrote:
A few months back, one of our strays who has been with us for about 12 years passed away. She was always a bit skittish and...
A few months back, one of our strays who has been with us for about 12 years passed away. She was always a bit skittish and would hardly ever let you touch her. While she would be eating I would scratch behind her ears and under her chin. She would be fine with it, enjoying the hell out of it actually until she looked up and realized it was me. Then she'd freak and bolt. The last two days though she would climb up in my lap or rub up against my legs until I would pick her up and hold her. Following morning she wouldn't get up for breakfast so off to the vet we went. Vet really couldn't tell what was wrong with her so they wanted to give her some fluids and keep her overnight. Didn't make it till morning. Sad day, but what was weird was the other cats were bummed out about it for what seemed like weeks.

Did I mention my wife is the crazy cat lady?

Funny (not so) you say about the other cats mourning;
Prob 15-20 years ago was crossing the cows across the road that split our farm, had my 3 border collies sitting at my feet whilst a big semi rolled past slowly. Inexplicably one the boys bolted out and kissed every tyre on that semi. Not good to watch.
The other two sat beside that road for what seemed like a week looking out at the spot where the poor boy died.
Broke my heart.
FLmxer
Fantasy
989th
5/5/2017 5:47am Edited Date/Time 5/5/2017 5:50am
The worst days ever is when you have to say goodbye to a loved family member. We just had a tradgedy where our 18 year old cat Sun fell in pool and drowned. He was my best buddy. Years ago I had dual blowouts coming home from Sunstate raceway and had to tow my trailer with rooster tails of fire to a walmart for wheels on a sunday night in the middle of nowhere. As i was changing tires my wife saw a manx kitten way back in some pallets. We tried to get him but gave up after hours and lost him. The next day my wife drove hours back and found him. He was the coolest and toughest cat ever. I was so sad that he lost his life like this that i did the worst thing i could do. I watched the security footage of him drowning to see if he suffered and am now haunted by those images and it hurts worse than anything to see it in my head over and over. Should of never watched it.
G-man
5/5/2017 10:07am
Oh man those last two stories are gut-wrenching I feel bad for you guys being an animal lover it really hurts just see them in pain I can't imagine one dying in front of you.

Although one of my cats Johnny O.

yes I had one too Newman got ran over in front of me and ran down into the gutter.

I finally coaxed her out and she was still alive and slept with me when I woke up she had passed.

Here's Elsie, our last night together. She used to love to lay on my chest just like my first cat when I was 7 years old.

Ironically we named her Honda because I told my dad when she purred she sounded like a motorcycle.

Little did I know I would be so obsessed with motorcycles the next 51 years of my life. Grinning

Honda lived 21 yrs.

FLmxer
Fantasy
989th
5/5/2017 10:51am
Worst times in life can be helped with some affection from our beloved animal companions but the very worst moments in life are when we have to say goodbye to them after they gave us uncondional love no matter what the situation. It's not fair. Take care G.
G-man
5/5/2017 5:20pm
FLmxer wrote:
Worst times in life can be helped with some affection from our beloved animal companions but the very worst moments in life are when we have...
Worst times in life can be helped with some affection from our beloved animal companions but the very worst moments in life are when we have to say goodbye to them after they gave us uncondional love no matter what the situation. It's not fair. Take care G.
Man what you say is 100% true whenever I'm bummed out just being around my pets makes my day.
Bailey practically knocks me over with excitement when I get home from a hard day at work.

Thanks
ns503
5/5/2017 5:28pm
We went through this in October. Not a cat, our 12 year old retriever. But ya it sucks big-time, especially when it hits your kids just as hard or harder. That was the tip of the iceberg for us, the past year was the toughest of my life.
borg
5/5/2017 7:06pm
What really rips your heart out is that for this animals whole life it trusted you and then you have to be the one to end it's life. So many conflicting emotions.

One of my favorite lines from Men In Black was when Will Smith noticed that Tommy lee was watching his wife on some kind of satellite gizmo and Will said " It's better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all"
Tommy Lee snapped his head around and said "Try It"

I don't think I could do it again. I really don't.

Post a reply to: Dang this is so hard to do..... :(

The Latest