Damn! Old 1911 gun auction.

Related:
Create New Tag

3/11/2018 6:20 PM

Singer (yes, sewing machines) only put their roll mark on about 500 of these for the WW2 efforts before turning their tooling over to Remington Rand. Started at $40,000.00 and we're off!

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/750644382

Photo

|

3/11/2018 6:27 PM

Wow, look how short that trigger is. That is pretty cool

|

3/11/2018 9:15 PM

They probably didn't have any of these: Photo

|

3/11/2018 9:55 PM

Sold for $85,025.00.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

3/12/2018 4:37 AM

Wow that is really cool. Would you shoot it at least s few times before going into the safe? Got to right?

|

3/12/2018 6:11 AM

JRT812 wrote:

Wow that is really cool. Would you shoot it at least s few times before going into the safe? Got to right?

I've got an all original and excellent condition 1917 Colt 1911 "Government Property" that I shot a bit before someone scolded me pretty severely.laughing It's no Singer though.

|

3/12/2018 6:24 AM

JRT812 wrote:

newmann wrote:

I've got an all original and excellent condition 1917 Colt 1911 "Government Property" that I shot a bit before someone scolded me pretty severely.laughing It's no Singer though.

Oh my my and would love to see it. Well “a bit” can go many ways, but you have to shoot it once or twice just to step into history haha

|

3/12/2018 11:17 AM

OK guys, give me the rundown on not shooting an antique firearm. Is it because of wear and tear? I'd think that proper cleaning would negate any effects of one or two rounds, wouldn't it? Guns are built pretty solidly and I can't imagine you'd be putting it to any misuse by "exercising" it a little.
Is there some other reason people would have an issue with it? Safety? Disrespect?

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

3/12/2018 12:31 PM

Falcon wrote:

OK guys, give me the rundown on not shooting an antique firearm. Is it because of wear and tear? I'd think that proper cleaning would negate any effects of one or two rounds, wouldn't it? Guns are built pretty solidly and I can't imagine you'd be putting it to any misuse by "exercising" it a little.
Is there some other reason people would have an issue with it? Safety? Disrespect?

Just from my understanding from others opinions it’s focused on wear and tear. It could possibly break a part that is not manufactured anymore, ruin the finish or hinder the authenticity. Always was told never refinish a old gun. Safety comes into play depending on age and possible parts failing or even something crazy like a bullet lodged in a old muzzle loader.

Some say never shoot them and put them in storage. Some say shoot a little and then put into storage. I have personally never owned a 85k gun and would probably fill differently if I did, but I say enjoy the history a little bit and then enjoy looking at it.

|

3/12/2018 12:38 PM

You can buy the same type of pistol brand new for $500 and it will shoot the same, so that thing is pretty much a museum piece.

|

3/12/2018 2:25 PM

Ebs wrote:

You can buy the same type of pistol brand new for $500 and it will shoot the same, so that thing is pretty much a museum piece.

Not all 1911’s are created equal.

|

3/12/2018 4:46 PM

I would have taken out a second mortgage. DAMN! And the history behind those first 1911's........THIS story always comes to mind.

|

RTFM & AYFV

3/12/2018 6:03 PM

Knoby wrote:

I would have taken out a second mortgage. DAMN! And the history behind those first 1911's........THIS story always comes to mind.

Good story. Thx for the link.

|