Cutting the Cable cord . recommendations needed

Related:
Create New Tag

9/22/2018 8:44 AM

So I've had Cox, Cable, Phone and Internet for 20 years.

Now they want to come ad new equipment and try to charge another fee for wireless not to mention they have special boxes that are a fee per month for each TV.

A few things we really don't use the home phone , that is just the number we give out and 99% just spam and political calls

We find ourselves watching Amazon and Net Flix most evenings, still would like to have local news channels etc.

Any Pro's / Con's would be appreciated.

I'm thinking just doing Century Link inter net or maybe exploring the Verizon wireless home system.

|

9/22/2018 9:05 AM

Get an Amazon Fire TX box. If you want cable tv try out the Play Station VUE app. You can download it to the Fire TV box. I think you get a 7 day free trial. Download Netflix and Hulu and and whatever else. Pluto TV has some interesting stuff to.

With Playstation VUE we get all the cable channels and local TV as well. You can pick whatever package suits you best. You can also add in HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, and NFL Redzone channel with different add-ons. VUE also has an awesome cloud DVR features.

We haven't had a home phone in about 8 years. Just use our cell phones.

Once you have internet service setup just buy your own wireless router. We have had good luck with the Netgear Nighthawks. But there are many good brands available.

|

9/22/2018 9:10 AM

I pay $65 a month to Verizon for my cell phone and use it's hotspot to run my computer. I use Directv Family package for around $29.99 a month from May to September and bump it up a couple packages from January to May. I get all the races and it's pretty cheap.

|

9/22/2018 11:06 AM

Jay.....do NOT do century Link!! Customer service is total crap . Just look at the reviews online. Stick with Cox , Amazon fire box or PSU , and pick a subscription that suits your needs. Read into what TX says above.

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

9/22/2018 11:15 AM

I plan on doing something similar as soon as baseball season ends. Everybody wants at least $50/mo for internet but I pay $150/mo for internet/TV/phone. I don's use the phone and I only watch about 10 channels on TV. I'm just not a big TV person. Sounds like I am wasting about $100/Mo.

|

9/22/2018 3:18 PM

Went thru the same BS for 20+ years, We moved and went to a "home/Landscape show" and this dude from Xfinity went thru his speel then in the end he talked me into changing from Direct TV to Xfinity.

I was paying 320 a month for TV and Centurylink Internet so ya, listen to Jeff here. Do not go Centurylink. Xfinity got me the premo package all the HBO,Showtime....ect and internet for 160.00 a month!.
Ounce the two year agreement was up and they tried to jack my rates I made a phone call saying I was talked into this and now your uping my rates?"

They not only got me back down to my original 160.00 a month but gave us 5 On Demand free coupons to keep my business.

Every time they try and hike my rate up I just call them and threaten to cut the cord.
Xfinity will do anything to keep your business. Theirs too many folks out there that have good deals to lose you and they know it.

Just my thoughts, good luck!

|

9/22/2018 5:01 PM

what about email, I've used my Cox email forever but if I switch I will need one I would guess Gmail or Yahoo ?

I have Amazon Fire stick can I download play station view to it ?

|

9/22/2018 5:13 PM

500guy wrote:

what about email, I've used my Cox email forever but if I switch I will need one I would guess Gmail or Yahoo ?

You can but the "stick" doesn't have a lot of horsepower so the experience isn't as good. I would try some of their other higher end devices. I have an older generation Fire Box which they don't make anymore and it's awesome. I also have a stick and it struggles a bit.

Email: just get a gmail account. Do not get Yahoo.

|

9/22/2018 5:29 PM

500guy wrote:

TXDirt wrote:

You can but the "stick" doesn't have a lot of horsepower so the experience isn't as good. I would try some of their other higher end devices. I have an older generation Fire Box which they don't make anymore and it's awesome. I also have a stick and it struggles a bit.

Email: just get a gmail account. Do not get Yahoo.

I have Gmail and Yahoo. I prefer Yahoo but it's basically what you get used to using. A friend has Youtube tv and loves it. They have all the stations I want for $40/mo. Fuck HBO/Showtime ect, 99% of the movies they have are shit. In fact, 99% of the movies ever made are shit as far as I'm concerned. When you have HBO/Cinemax/showtime plus insomnia you learn this. Same with Amazon prime. I have it because of the free shipping but I don't bother even looking to see what movies they have anymore.

|

9/22/2018 9:38 PM

TXDirt wrote:

Get an Amazon Fire TX box. If you want cable tv try out the Play Station VUE app. You can download it to the Fire TV box. I think you get a 7 day free trial. Download Netflix and Hulu and and whatever else. Pluto TV has some interesting stuff to.

With Playstation VUE we get all the cable channels and local TV as well. You can pick whatever package suits you best. You can also add in HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, and NFL Redzone channel with different add-ons. VUE also has an awesome cloud DVR features.

Once you have internet service setup just buy your own wireless router. We have had good luck with the Netgear Nighthawks. But there are many good brands available.

VUE App is about $60 per month ?

I have Netflix for $11 and Prime for $140 per yr.

Roughly $25 per month for both.

|

I have the right to remain awesome.

9/22/2018 11:34 PM

TXDirt wrote:

motosmith wrote:

VUE App is about $60 per month ?

I have Netflix for $11 and Prime for $140 per yr.

Roughly $25 per month for both.

No , the standard Vue monthly premium is only like $39.99 a month. Mine was that , and I thought since it was so cheap , why not upgrade with a couple movie channels? I added HBO and Showtime and now I pay $70.00/mo. I was paying $140.00 for direct TV , with NO movie channels. And probably had about 300+ channels I was paying for , that I would never watch. I myself am setup with an Amazon Firebox with prime , with the PS Vue app and Netflix. I can watch so much stuff it's pathetic. And BTW......When I made the switch , I bought a nice HD antenna and can get all the local station's. On PS Vue , I get my local NBC and Fox channels already , so having the antenna was pretty cool.

Btw.....for more experienced user's , you can download and use the Kodi app. I haven't messed with mine in a couple months. But what I can tell you is , that Kodi ( if you know how to use it ) can open a world to 1000's of other channel's from around the world. Pretty incredible.

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

9/23/2018 5:42 AM

I'm interested in ditching DIRECT but everything you guys talk about seems a bit overwhelming to get set up. Isn't it kinda clumsy having to switch back and forth between interfaces?

|

9/23/2018 6:25 AM

reded wrote:

I'm interested in ditching DIRECT but everything you guys talk about seems a bit overwhelming to get set up. Isn't it kinda clumsy having to switch back and forth between interfaces?

Maybe it was at first, but you get used to it. I have no intentions of going back

|

9/23/2018 6:37 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/23/2018 6:39 AM

reded wrote:

It's the easiest thing to setup. It's exactly like downloading new apps to your phone. The Amazon Fire TV box becomes your central interface for everything. You just download the apps you use to it. Just like you do with your phone.

Amazon prime has a really great media and music library and that is integrated nicely into the Fire TV system.

Then you just download the apps you use.

Netflix
Hulu
PS VUE
Pluto TV
NBC Sports Gold
UFC
Kodi
YouTube
And on and on and on......

I had DirecTV for several years. Prices always going up. Ton of channels I couldn't give a shit about. I will never go back to DirecTV.

|

9/23/2018 6:48 AM

reded wrote:

Once you buy a firetv box and download the apps you want for it (which is easy, you can even voice search for the apps you want) you will need to sign up for subscriptions which can be done on your desktop/laptop computer. Then it will ask you to verify access to the subscription, again done on your computer. After that you can voice search for what you want to watch or use the remote that has literally 12 buttons, super easy and way better than endless scrolling thru the cable guide.

|

9/23/2018 6:59 AM

I've been cordless since 2015. I use HD bunny ears to get local channels (CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX) and then have Apple TV to watch Prime, Hulu, and Netflix.

|

9/23/2018 8:07 AM

Try to avoid long term contracts. 5G is coming and there will be wireless options.

|

9/23/2018 9:09 AM

We got rid of direct tv about a year ago. we use netflix a lot . We also have an antenna and amazon prime . I miss watching some channels we had with direct tv but not bad enough to pay what they charge.

|

9/23/2018 9:43 AM

MR. X wrote:

We got rid of direct tv about a year ago. we use netflix a lot . We also have an antenna and amazon prime . I miss watching some channels we had with direct tv but not bad enough to pay what they charge.

Can always find the schedule of when those shows air and watch them on the internet the day after they air.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

9/23/2018 11:10 AM

Hulu $47, Netflix $12, internet $65.

|

GP740
Since 1987

10/8/2018 12:59 PM

Hi Jay, we got the cord about four years ago. I have an 8 bowtie antenna pointing in two directions to get me 80 channels for free. Beyond that we have internet setup through Comcast as the only service and from there I bought Roku TVs and pay for sling for 25 bucks a month. I have way more content than I can use and don't pay nearly what I used to for cable. I do pay for the NBC Sports Gold to get the Nationals without the multi-channel headaches. The OnePlus about the Roku TVs is that you can download the Red Bull TV app and get lots of free moto and WESS content for free.

|

10/8/2018 2:05 PM

Anyone know whats the scoop with Youtube TV? Seems to have everything in a lot simpler solution. Full Disclaimer, I dont know much about all these other services and boxes. Too many choices.

|

My post is my opinion. If you don't agree with it, I'm OK with it.

10/8/2018 10:54 PM

Moto96 wrote:

Anyone know whats the scoop with Youtube TV? Seems to have everything in a lot simpler solution. Full Disclaimer, I dont know much about all these other services and boxes. Too many choices.

The scoop is it's bad ass. I get everything I cared about on cable plus my local channels for $35 a month and it can be streamed on any device. It also has a handy built-in DVR. Between Netflix and Youtube TV I've got everything covered for less than half of what I use to pay for cable alone.

|

10/8/2018 11:39 PM

Hulu here- I signed up for it to watch Supercross and killed it for the nationals. TV news isn't worth watching and mostly for my family its movies and Youtube.
I still have a LAN line because I don't have cell service where I live, but I end up using my cell phone anyhow via Wi-Fi calling.

|

It's impossible for a corporation or government to love you or care about you.

10/9/2018 7:04 AM

NorCal 50+ wrote:

Hulu here- I signed up for it to watch Supercross and killed it for the nationals. TV news isn't worth watching and mostly for my family its movies and Youtube.
I still have a LAN line because I don't have cell service where I live, but I end up using my cell phone anyhow via Wi-Fi calling.

How do you use your phone for wifi calling?

Also, I just looked at Hulu's site and YT TVs and damn they look like the same site. Are they both owned by Google?

Honestly, cant tell a difference bewtween the two other than Hulus really cheap ,monthly plan. The main plan is basically the same it seems.

|

10/9/2018 9:14 AM

For now I just dropped the home phone.

I just don't think I would be happy with 100% inter net based TV and when I add the different platforms it adds up to almost what I pay now.

|

10/10/2018 7:31 AM

I have 100mbps internet

Firestick w/ Kodi
SlingTV

My mom still pays for cable at her house so I was able to use her log in on most apps via Firestick that Sling don't carry (ABC, NBC, HBO, ESPN, Fox sports go, Ect)

There isn't really anything that I want to watch and can't.

Total investment is around $50-$60/mo. Cable w/ internet with the same channels would typically be $120+/mo

|

Race Bike: 2018 KTM 350SXF

Other Bikes: 1985 CR80R, 1990 CR250R, 1998 PW80, Specialized Fuse Comp 29.

Sold: 2016 YZ250F, 2012 CRF250R

10/12/2018 10:39 AM

With Internet Only, and Wifi in the house for the Laptop etc, what is the best setup for SX and Motocross and F1?

Seems like all the major channels(movies, showtime HBO etc) you can get just about any way thru Hulu, Youtube TV etc.
Im confused as fuck on all the choices.

|

10/12/2018 10:42 AM

Moto96 wrote:

Shawn142 wrote:

The scoop is it's bad ass. I get everything I cared about on cable plus my local channels for $35 a month and it can be streamed on any device. It also has a handy built-in DVR. Between Netflix and Youtube TV I've got everything covered for less than half of what I use to pay for cable alone.

This sounds easy. I just posted it looks like YT TV has all the main channels(as does Hulu, I just want to make sure I can get MX, SX and F1.

All these boxes and firesticks and all this other stuff, I'm lost.

|

10/12/2018 12:14 PM

Anyone have experience with DirectTV Now?

|