Costa Rica

P
4/16/2009 1:02pm Edited Date/Time 1/24/2012 2:52am
I'm going down next week and was thinking of doing one of the 1 day ride tours. Anyone ever done one? If so what did you think, was it worth it?

P
|
fcr
4/16/2009 1:05pm
Out of where and to where ? It is a beautiful country. You will have a great time the people are friendly for the most part, but there is begining to be some anti tourist sentiment in some of the Surf oriented areas. And if you are in the coastal area near Tamarindo etc. Don't leave anything in your car of value.
Soozie125
4/16/2009 1:07pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2009 1:07pm
Just go out to eat and see what happens.
fcr
4/16/2009 1:09pm
Soozie125 wrote:
Just go out to eat and see what happens.
Whach you mean Willis ?
P
4/16/2009 1:09pm
We are just going to kick around in San Jose. I've been down before and did the rafting and canopy tour deal so I'm just looking for a one day tour. Nothing major.

P

The Shop

fcr
4/16/2009 1:16pm
I say it is well worth it. I have never spent anytime in SJ. Mostly Tamarindo and our place down near Ojochal, it is south of Playa Hermosa. Was really tough to get to other than commuter plane or a rough road from PH down that was impassable sometimes. I could
SEEMEFIRST
4/16/2009 1:19pm
Watch out for the "Green Mambas". I think that's what they're called. Some kind of bad assed snake that resides there. A buddy of mine said when he got back from shooting some of the Crusty Demons film that he ghosted his bike into the jungle, and they had him so scared of the things, that he left it. Some of the locals went in after it.Laughing
urbanlift707
4/16/2009 1:27pm
there is a moto tour place that is based just south of Jaco. Which his about 2 hours west of SJ I forget there name, they have had a couple articles in some mags not too long ago.
I never did the tour but I did convince a kids to let me rip his cr250 around the beach for a bit.
P
4/16/2009 1:36pm
there is a moto tour place that is based just south of Jaco. Which his about 2 hours west of SJ I forget there name, they...
there is a moto tour place that is based just south of Jaco. Which his about 2 hours west of SJ I forget there name, they have had a couple articles in some mags not too long ago.
I never did the tour but I did convince a kids to let me rip his cr250 around the beach for a bit.
Yeah, I saw the article about the spot near Jaco. We were thinking about staying down there for a couple of days, but the group decided not to. One of those spots is pure moto with a track and the works. It's expensive though and doesn't have one day options.

Thanks though.

P
fcr
4/16/2009 1:39pm
I was on my way back at the airport and ran into the guys doing the ride that introduced the new WR, Terry Beal? I think(having a brain fart). He was in line with the mechanic and they were all Yamaha'd out. Talked quite a bit about the bike. That tour group is supposed to be good.
SMF, you are thinking of a snake called Fer De Lance, Gets lots of farmers. They have quite a few venomous vipers and Coral snakes also. Plus poison arrow frogs.
cjmx
Fantasy
1180th
4/16/2009 1:44pm
I've been down there a few times. Never went on a bike tour but a very fun time! My friend is a local who lives in Cartago. I guess there is a track right near her work.

Playa Hermosa is sweet FCR. Must be nice to have a place down there. I never heard anything about the Green Mambas. Only about the fer-de-lance! Apparently very aggressive. We saw a small green viper on a hike near Dominical that just sat there while we took pictures.
Soozie125
4/16/2009 1:57pm
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
Watch out for the "Green Mambas". I think that's what they're called. Some kind of bad assed snake that resides there. A buddy of mine said...
Watch out for the "Green Mambas". I think that's what they're called. Some kind of bad assed snake that resides there. A buddy of mine said when he got back from shooting some of the Crusty Demons film that he ghosted his bike into the jungle, and they had him so scared of the things, that he left it. Some of the locals went in after it.Laughing
Fir De Lance is the one to watch out for. It will inject all of it's venom at once.
fcr
4/16/2009 2:00pm
There are a ton of Venomous snakes. Most not very aggressive , the Fer de Lance is very aggressive. I was surfing off a boat once down in the Corcovado and went in to check out a flock of Scarlet Macaws. I found a slight animal trail back into the jungle and walked about 30 yards in. Board shorts and rash guard only. Then the trail turned into jungle litter. I was watching the birds standing in mid calf deep litter. Then I stated thinking about centipedes ,scorpions and Fer De Lances etc. Got my ass out of there fast. On thing that was weird though, the Corcovado is about an 800,000 or more national forrest. Where we were was at least a 100 miles from any civilization. The beach from the boat looked flawless. When you got on it though it was littered with trash from the freighters that throw trash coming from the Panama Canal. Mostly, get this , 2stroke penzoil bottles, gallon milk bottles six pack holders and various other plastic trash. The 2 stroke bottles come from the locals. I wa kind of stunned first time I saw it.
Soozie125
4/16/2009 2:04pm
Eyelash Vipers are the coolest most colorful snakes in the snake world. I would love to see one in person.
SEEMEFIRST
4/16/2009 3:05pm
Ok fer De Lance it is. Are they green? I just remeber him saying something about big green snakes.

Hell, they might have just realized he was that afraid of snakes, and were jacking with him...I would have.
fcr
4/16/2009 3:31pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2009 3:32pm
There are green Vipers, even the eyelash viper is bright yellow, all venomous. There are a ton of green snakes there. The FDL viper is not long but big and fat and the head is huge, they are the most feared snake in central America I think. Except for the (insert dirty comment of your choice here).
Soozie125
4/16/2009 3:37pm
fcr wrote:
There are green Vipers, even the eyelash viper is bright yellow, all venomous. There are a ton of green snakes there. The FDL viper is not...
There are green Vipers, even the eyelash viper is bright yellow, all venomous. There are a ton of green snakes there. The FDL viper is not long but big and fat and the head is huge, they are the most feared snake in central America I think. Except for the (insert dirty comment of your choice here).
Bush Master!
Scotty
4/16/2009 4:12pm
I have a buddy who go down there 3-4 times a year to Surf. I'll ask him what to do down there.
jmar
4/16/2009 4:25pm

I have a friend that lives outside of Quepos and about 7 miles from the Manuel Antonio National Park. Lot’s of beautiful places to see and things to do so make the most of it while you’re there.

Did anyone mention the crocks?
lol
fcr
4/16/2009 4:27pm
fcr wrote:
There are green Vipers, even the eyelash viper is bright yellow, all venomous. There are a ton of green snakes there. The FDL viper is not...
Soozie125 wrote:
Bush Master!
Isn't that an AR ? jk. Don't some people confuse these as one and the same? I use to know lots of this stuff but my brain is mush now.
fcr
4/16/2009 4:31pm
P, I just googled Daytrips San Jose Costa Rica and found tons of stuff. One thing was an artisan town near there.
Soozie125
4/16/2009 4:35pm
fcr wrote:
Soozie125 wrote:
Bush Master!
fcr wrote:
Isn't that an AR ? jk. Don't some people confuse these as one and the same? I use to know lots of this stuff but my...
Isn't that an AR ? jk. Don't some people confuse these as one and the same? I use to know lots of this stuff but my brain is mush now.
They might but they are not one in the same. Actually the Fer De Lance is a Lance Head Viper by proper name.

The Bush Master gets huge. Scary Huge!

The distinctive part of a Bush master is how the scales look like individual little pearls.

Dean
4/16/2009 4:38pm
mambas are in Africa, I think
Soozie125
4/16/2009 4:43pm
Dean wrote:
Correct
roosty
4/16/2009 4:46pm
Dean wrote:
Soozie125 wrote:
Correct
False
Dean
4/16/2009 4:53pm
from wiki

The Black Mamba (Dendroaspis polylepis), is an elapid snake and is one of Africa's most dangerous and feared snakes. It has a wide range of known locations throughout Africa. The black mamba is native to Somalia, Ethiopia, Kenya, Botswana, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Angola, Namibia, Malawi, Mozambique, South Africa, Swaziland, and the Congo. They

The eastern green mamba or common mamba (Dendroaspis angusticeps) is a venomous arboreal snake indigenous to the eastern side of southern Africa.

The western green mamba or West African green mamba (Dendroaspis viridis) is a long, thin venomous arboreal snake native to West Africa, including Liberia and Côte d’Ivoire.
race
4/16/2009 4:57pm

Nike Hyperdunk Kobe Bryant “Black Mamba”

roosty
4/16/2009 4:58pm
Shit I thought you guys were talking about the candy, it's my favorite.Grinning

Mamba (candy)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Mambas are a brand of fruit chew candies, made in Germany by August Storck KG. They are artificially flavored in strawberry, orange, lemon and raspberry. Mamba was launched in 1953 in packs of six. Each package now contains 18 soft chews; six pieces of each of three random flavors out of the four possibilities. Previously, they came in a package of 20, with 5 pieces of each flavor. Limited-edition Mamba Sour fruit chews were released in mid-2007
4/16/2009 5:39pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2009 5:39pm
Watch out for guaro it can bite too!
fcr
4/16/2009 9:05pm
Watch out for guaro it can bite too!
Never had any but I heard about it. There are way too many things to do. Fishing, Diving and yes the crocs, BIG Crocs, are a reality. Surfed a river mouth that you could see them sunning up on the beach one time. We were way off shore, I was more worried about Bull Sharks as it was starting to get dark. We were surfing by a 65' Catamaran and inflatable. Got to some places where there was nobody for hundreds of miles.

Post a reply to: Costa Rica

The Latest