Corn and wild fires

Related:
Create New Tag

7/31/2018 8:32 AM

Things have changed a little since we last talked about corn. I noticed smoke while I was working on one of our cars. I called 911 immediately and it spread so fast. They had choppers dumping water on it within ten minutes. It was pretty crazy to see the family that was evacuating as fast as they could while the fire crept up towards them. The only thing that saved their house was the fact that their trees and shrubbery were still alive and it slowed down the fire's progress.

We thought that our property would be fine because the wind was carrying it away, but we were forced to evacuate. We turned our sprinklers on, and that was probably the only thing that saved our valuables. The fire got right up the hill, but stopped just in time. The corn was saved too because those sprinklers were spraying the whooe time.

The first two pictures were taken four minutes apart.

Photo

Photo

Right here I was thinking, "I'm definitely doing a thread on vital about this, so I better include the corn."
Photo

After evacuation we weren't able to return to the property for about 36 hours. We were only able to see our property from a distance and listen to the fire department radio scanner. We didn't have binoculars, so we were in the dark. From a distance it looked like our open ended shed had burnt down and that's where we kept all our birds, so we were stressing, but when we returned everything was fine. I wish my mother in law's PT cruiser would have been burnt up though. That thing has been nothing but problems.

Photo

Photo

Photo

The corn was still delicious right of the stalk, it was like the butter was already on there. Plus my buddy's truck got a free paint job. The fire burned 207 acres, and they are thinking it was from some stupid tweeker. Witnesses saw him and got a description of his car.

Photo

Photo

|

Instagram: vanillaice782
Amateur helmet painter

7/31/2018 9:19 AM

Glad you are all right! That got pretty close.

|

7/31/2018 9:34 AM

Scary stuff man! Glad you guys are okay.

|

"A link is only as long as your longest strong chain"

7/31/2018 10:02 AM

I forgot the best part. I just got my wife a ttr and she seems to be enjoying it a lot. She was thinking it would be a good idea to put in a motocross track to help work as a fire barrier. Jackpot!

|

Amateur helmet painter

7/31/2018 11:12 AM

That's thinkin outside the bun

|

"A link is only as long as your longest strong chain"

7/31/2018 9:07 PM

Just out of curiosity, was this in De Luz, CA or a nearby area?

|

@fiendz.cc

7/31/2018 9:36 PM

Gnarly- I guess you saved the day. Those things move fast- an acre a second in the right conditions is what I heard.
We've got smoke all around Grass Valley. It's super hazy but it's from fires that are farther away.

|

It's impossible for a corporation or government to love you or care about you.

7/31/2018 11:01 PM

FiendzCC wrote:

Just out of curiosity, was this in De Luz, CA or a nearby area?

It's about 20 minutes from De Luz. Pretty much right in-between De Luz and Temecula.

|

Amateur helmet painter

8/2/2018 3:53 AM

Glad that thing didn't get you guys...or your corn.

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

8/2/2018 9:12 AM

I hope that's your boot in the cob picture. w00t

Glad it worked out for y'all.

|

Go for it! Don't let a little thing like fear, or common sense hold you back.