Cordless Home Tool Preference

flarider
Edited Date/Time 4/16/2022 7:25am
If you had to start over, and you're willing to pay for quality, what manufacturer of cordless electric tools would you buy?

Say a circ saw, sander, impact drill, etc...
|
early
Fantasy
2231st
3/3/2022 8:40am
I'm not a professional but here's experience

I've had a 7 piece makita set that I bought in '08, all the tools still work great, I keep them running with cheap Amazon batteries which are fine for my purposes.

My father in law has some Dewalt tools I've used and I do not have a high opinion of them at all.

My brother has some Milwaukee tools and if I was buying again that's what I would get.
Elliot
3/3/2022 8:55am
I use Dewalt as overall I think they have the most extensive range of power tools which covers DIY/construction, garden tools and automotive. Their cordless tire inflator rocks. I run the lot on 4 x 5AH batteries which have never let me down.
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2562nd
3/3/2022 9:26am
I mostly use power tools for mechanical work and own Milwaukee everything because I have the batteries. I have about 75% mechanical tools and 25% carpentry/wood specific tools. We’re it the other way around, I’d go makita. Their tools don’t have the brute force of the Milwaukee, but there are some small improvements here and there that edge the Japanese company ahead. The makita drill chucks are made in Japan by Seiko (Milwaukee are jacob’s chucks outsourced to China) and they last longer and are more true in their runout. I think makita saws are more comfortable and easier to use than Milwaukee, and those are valuable attributes when you’re doing precision cuts and finish work.

I think Ryobi is a good option for homeowners that do some handy man work, vehicle/bike maintenance, home improvements and yard maintenance. They make good tools for the price and they have all the expected power tools but also some unusual home and garden type tools for people that do a little of everything. Ryobi is the “middle class dad” power tool company, and I think that’s respectable.

crowe660
Fantasy
4066th
3/3/2022 9:48am
I’ve been very happy with my Milwaukee stuff for well over a decade.

The Shop

scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
3/3/2022 10:01am
I went ryobi for home as they did. Heap of cool stuff incona water blaster attachment that will be great for small cleaning at The track

Most my guys at work use Mikita (timber joinery factory ) and we have had a good run out of most there stuff
borg
3/3/2022 11:15am
If I was just a weekend warrior I would still only have a cordless drill for running screws. Cordless saws are not worth the money and not enough power. With corded, you buy one good circ saw and it's for life. With cordless, you have to keep popping for batteries, and then one day you find your batteries are discontinued.

borg
3/3/2022 11:16am
Milwaukee btw.
Forty
3/3/2022 11:35am
I'm around a lot of contractors and I see a lot of Milwaukee, although I prefer DeWalt myself.

They are all pretty good, and getting better all the time.
3/3/2022 12:09pm
I have had good luck with Rigid and Milwaukee. I prefer the rigid though.
ns503
3/3/2022 12:58pm
Milwaukee. M18 fuel.
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
3/3/2022 1:11pm
I have the Milwaukee stuff and honestly wish I'd gone with Dewalt.
Some of the Milwaukee stuff is absolutely awesome (impact, sawzall) but some is absolute garbage at a premium price tag (radio, hammer drill)
Dewalt seems to be more consistently good. Maybe not always the best but good enough. Milwaukee is just such hit or miss on the individual tool. And ultimately 99% of the Milwaukee stuff is made in China. Dewalt certainly makes stuff in China but at least they do some final assembly in the US.

For the money, Ryobi and Rigid are good. Don't expect top tier performance but you also aren't paying top tier. And I like Ryobi uses the same battery structure so you can use beat up old Ryobis from the flea market with your new batteries.
indy_maico
3/3/2022 1:22pm
I have Bosch 18v drills (3/8, 1/2 and a 1/2 hammer drill) and they are great.

I have a black and decker 20v weed-eater and 20v leaf blower. The blower really only works well on my deck, or it is nice to take up on the roof to clear the gutters (before I installed gutter screens), but not any good for anything more than that.

I bought some Bosch 12v impacts at work for the guys installing fixtures, etc in our 3 and 5 axis mills. They get constant use and last about 3 years before they need replaced. I just buy replacement 'tool only' from Amazon when they need them. The batteries last forever.

Our carbon shop guys swear by the DeWalt stuff.

The Indy Lights guys all use the Milwaukee M18 FUEL High Torque 1/2" drive impact drivers on their centerlock wheel nuts. They are 750 ft-lb monsters and will break your wrist if you aren't careful! I bought one of those at work for our Dallara Stradale EXP program for when we do demos and track days with those cars.

Chance1216
3/3/2022 1:35pm
Rigid and, Milwaukee.
My company issues Milwaukee to us guys in the field.
I have my own Rigid tools.
Some stuff is better than the other between the two.
My cordless 1/2” drive Rigid seems better built and, puts out a bit more torque than the Milwaukee.
I’ve dropped my cordless Rigid sawzall down a 4 story elevator shaft. After straightening the guard, it was fine.

I haven’t came across a battery that can withstand the rain. If it gets wet, it’s ruined. Hopefully one day companies realize a lot of guys working outside also deal with shitty weather and, come out with a waterproof unit.

Honestly, it comes down to what you will need the tool for.
Milwaukee offers a larger variety but, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy Rigid provided they make what I’m looking for.

peelout
3/3/2022 2:30pm
scott_nz wrote:
I went ryobi for home as they did. Heap of cool stuff incona water blaster attachment that will be great for small cleaning at The track...
I went ryobi for home as they did. Heap of cool stuff incona water blaster attachment that will be great for small cleaning at The track

Most my guys at work use Mikita (timber joinery factory ) and we have had a good run out of most there stuff
the nice thing about Ryobi is the current battery fits in a 15 year old drill.

i use Ryobi and Milwaukee at home. we swear by Dewalt in the construction field.
borg
3/3/2022 2:48pm
Chance1216 wrote:
Rigid and, Milwaukee. My company issues Milwaukee to us guys in the field. I have my own Rigid tools. Some stuff is better than the other...
Rigid and, Milwaukee.
My cordless 1/2” drive Rigid seems better built and, puts out a bit more torque than the Milwaukee.
I’ve dropped my cordless Rigid sawzall down a 4 story elevator shaft. After straightening the guard, it was fine.

I haven’t came across a battery that can withstand the rain. If it gets wet, it’s ruined. Hopefully one day companies realize a lot of guys working outside also deal with shitty weather and, come out with a waterproof unit.

Milwaukee offers a larger variety but, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy Rigid provided they make what I’m looking for.

I have a Rigid recip. Kicks ass. 1 1/2" stroke with a cool blade clamp. Corded though. I also have their multitool. Interchangeable heads. Corded also. Don't like cordless for anything but a drill.
early
Fantasy
2231st
3/3/2022 2:57pm
borg wrote:
I have a Rigid recip. Kicks ass. 1 1/2" stroke with a cool blade clamp. Corded though. I also have their multitool. Interchangeable heads. Corded also...
I have a Rigid recip. Kicks ass. 1 1/2" stroke with a cool blade clamp. Corded though. I also have their multitool. Interchangeable heads. Corded also. Don't like cordless for anything but a drill.
Your right, a battery powered saw is no substitute for a corded saw, especially Sawzall. They are nice to have for certain applications though.
SEE ARE125
3/3/2022 4:32pm
Ryobi for me. I had some other brands, and while the tools were great, it seemed like the batteries were what would eventually need replaced. With Ryobi, I can buy a whole new tool with battery for basically the same price as the battery alone. I even modded my kids PowerWheels to run on a Ryobi battery. 18v instead of 12v now, runs way longer and when it dies, just swap batteries.
SEEMEFIRST
3/3/2022 5:20pm
For the occasional homeowner bs, Ryobi is fine, it will let you down on the job if you make your living using them.

My work tools are Milwaukee. The little 12 volt impact/driver is awesome and doesn't weigh 5 lbs.

The 12v ratchet is also very good. Shuts off at 55 ft.lbs. so it won't break your fingers like a pneumatic.

The little grinder, and the micro band? Awesome.

But for home use, ryobi is fine I think.
borg
3/3/2022 5:37pm
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
For the occasional homeowner bs, Ryobi is fine, it will let you down on the job if you make your living using them. My work tools...
For the occasional homeowner bs, Ryobi is fine, it will let you down on the job if you make your living using them.

My work tools are Milwaukee. The little 12 volt impact/driver is awesome and doesn't weigh 5 lbs.

The 12v ratchet is also very good. Shuts off at 55 ft.lbs. so it won't break your fingers like a pneumatic.

For electrical work I use the shit out of the 12v Milwaukee driver/drill. I have a holster for it on my toolbelt. Otherwise it's handtools for electrical. I go with Klein there. I have a pair of their diagonal cutters that are 15 years old that I still use. I would still be using the old pair except I turned them into wire strippers. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.
SEEMEFIRST
3/3/2022 5:41pm
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
For the occasional homeowner bs, Ryobi is fine, it will let you down on the job if you make your living using them. My work tools...

borg wrote:
For electrical work I use the shit out of the 12v Milwaukee driver/drill. I have a holster for it on my toolbelt. Otherwise it's handtools for...
For electrical work I use the shit out of the 12v Milwaukee driver/drill. I have a holster for it on my toolbelt. Otherwise it's handtools for electrical. I go with Klein there. I have a pair of their diagonal cutters that are 15 years old that I still use. I would still be using the old pair except I turned them into wire strippers. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.
I have a pair of those. HA! (Maybe a couple)

Yes Klein all the way, even their screwdrivers are better.

Dude, those little 12v drivers are awesome, right?
Don't weigh a ton and work.
Chance1216
3/3/2022 7:05pm
Chance1216 wrote:
Rigid and, Milwaukee. My company issues Milwaukee to us guys in the field. I have my own Rigid tools. Some stuff is better than the other...
Rigid and, Milwaukee.

borg wrote:
I have a Rigid recip. Kicks ass. 1 1/2" stroke with a cool blade clamp. Corded though. I also have their multitool. Interchangeable heads. Corded also...
The multi tool is awesome. I use mine for cutting through caulking that secures wall hung toilets to the wall. They always have huge gaps and, an even larger bead of caulk. Those multi tools are a must have.
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1151st
3/3/2022 10:37pm Edited Date/Time 3/3/2022 10:50pm
*For home, it's hard to beat Ryobi with their product/price range and warranty.
3/4/2022 7:57am Edited Date/Time 3/4/2022 7:58am
Can't go wrong with dewalt or Milwaukee. I have tons of DeWalt 20v tool, my favorite is the compact sawzall with a pruning blade for yard work. Don't have to use the chainsaw unless the limbs are really big.

ps. Whatever you get invest in larger amp hour batteries and a multi charger
Ob917
3/4/2022 8:22am Edited Date/Time 3/4/2022 8:23am
We use to be all about makita back in the day then they seemed to start sucking lots of tools breaking. Now a days I have so many Milwaukee tools and they are mostly awesome, had one saw that started acting funny but they fixed it without any problem. The new black makita stuff looks kinda nice but I’m way to deep in the Milwaukee stuff to turn back now lol
Dirtydeeds
Fantasy
2892nd
4/15/2022 7:57pm
Ob917 wrote:
We use to be all about makita back in the day then they seemed to start sucking lots of tools breaking. Now a days I have...
We use to be all about makita back in the day then they seemed to start sucking lots of tools breaking. Now a days I have so many Milwaukee tools and they are mostly awesome, had one saw that started acting funny but they fixed it without any problem. The new black makita stuff looks kinda nice but I’m way to deep in the Milwaukee stuff to turn back now lol

Uhhhh like this deep??!! Finally got everything together and organized. I have a nice Milwaukee pile, Festool pile, Dewalt pile, Hitachi pile and Bosch pile of tools. The only ones that take batteries are Milwaukee.
Robgvx
4/16/2022 1:44am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2022 1:46am
By the way, for any Brits reading, US DeWalt stuff is often quite a lot cheaper in the States. I bought a palm router there for $99 and the same thing in the UK is £300+ (albeit supplied with two types of bodies included).

However, the US tools are sold as 20V rather than the 18V system they use here. But, I can confirm that a US-bought 20V bare tool works just fine with UK 18V batteries. I did read that the batteries are identical in terms of actual voltage too, despite the different labelling.

US-bought 20V batteries will also fit and charge in a UK 18V charger too (although the batteries seem to be cheaper here, oddly). However, a US charger wouldn’t work here because it’s 110V mains, not 240V.

I bought some Bessey clamps last time too. Way cheaper than at home.

ns503
4/16/2022 5:15am
Can't go wrong with dewalt or Milwaukee. I have tons of DeWalt 20v tool, my favorite is the compact sawzall with a pruning blade for yard...
Can't go wrong with dewalt or Milwaukee. I have tons of DeWalt 20v tool, my favorite is the compact sawzall with a pruning blade for yard work. Don't have to use the chainsaw unless the limbs are really big.

ps. Whatever you get invest in larger amp hour batteries and a multi charger
I prefer multiple chargers. If you buy another tool kit you get another charger. Now I have chargers in the 4 or 5 different places I might need to charge up. Even leave one at the cottage all year.

Post a reply to: Cordless Home Tool Preference

The Latest