Cops shoot guys dog in private yard

JoeBraxton
Edited Date/Time 7/2/2014 6:15pm
Sad story here. Sucks that the cops have the right to do this to a dog that is just doing his loyal dog duty:-(
http://fox5sandiego.com/2014/06/26/video-owner-confronts-cops-after-dog…
|
oldAFI
6/26/2014 3:25pm
I've heard of pigs doing this BS before.

It all comes back to the Stanford Prison experiments... people fall into whatever roll they believe their situation warrants. Good people become egomaniacs in positions of authority. Many pigs are great people when they take of their badge and gun, but it's definitely no excuse.
Utrider
Fantasy
1521st
6/26/2014 4:33pm
oldAFI wrote:
I've heard of pigs doing this BS before. It all comes back to the Stanford Prison experiments... people fall into whatever roll they believe their situation...
I've heard of pigs doing this BS before.

It all comes back to the Stanford Prison experiments... people fall into whatever roll they believe their situation warrants. Good people become egomaniacs in positions of authority. Many pigs are great people when they take of their badge and gun, but it's definitely no excuse.
Oldfart?
bsm121
6/26/2014 4:59pm
JoeBraxton wrote:
Sad story here. Sucks that the cops have the right to do this to a dog that is just doing his loyal dog duty:-( http://fox5sandiego.com/2014/06/26/video-owner-confronts-cops-after-dog-shot-to-death/#axzz35mZmLbNy
Sad story here. Sucks that the cops have the right to do this to a dog that is just doing his loyal dog duty:-(
http://fox5sandiego.com/2014/06/26/video-owner-confronts-cops-after-dog…
It don't think they have the right to...
Dude will get paid.
Taxpayers will suffer for ignorant cop,s decision.

The Shop

6/26/2014 5:22pm
This happened near Seattle a while back. If google "cop shoots dog" there are numerous instances similar to these.

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2020398702_rosiesettlementxml.ht…

Des Moines to pay $51,000 over fatal shooting of dog

A couple whose Newfoundland, Rosie, was shot and killed by Des Moines police in November 2010 will be awarded at least $51,000 in a settlement reached late last month.
oldAFI
6/26/2014 6:35pm
Utrider wrote:
Oldfart?
Racer92 wrote:
Cool
It pretty funny how many people have called me out for being someone elseLaughing
Back on Mototalk circa 2005 I had a username that some might recognize, but none of my usernames since then would stand out in anyone's memory.
TG130
6/28/2014 1:45pm
Worthless chicken shit cop.
Crush
6/30/2014 7:16am
Saw this the other day...

What the fuck is he doing in his backyard.

And how hard is it to walk backwards saying nice dog.

Seriously. Just whip your gun out and shoot it, what a cunt.
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
644th
6/30/2014 8:10am
The guy handled the situation pretty good by not doing anything extremely stupid. Why Why Why, did the officers that were there when he arrived, give him such a large noose to hang himself? They knew the guy was going to be pissed and had every right to be. They could have said a little something to the guy when he got there instead of being stand offish. Maybe explain the situation, take charge and give some understanding and offered a resolve. Kind of like the one did at the end after he sat the camera on the porch. That was to late, that was after they saw the full extent of his reaction. It is almost like they wanted him to blow up and see what he would do. I'm sure if they took him to jail for some angered infraction, it would have took some heat off the cop that shot his dog. That is the impression I got. Instead, they sat there like a bunch of kids that threw a rock through a window. Ridiculous!

If it was me, they would have had the crime scene forensic team there that cleans up murder blood taking care of the clean up and buried him at the most expensive pet cemetery. To leave him in his yard with his dead pet blown in bits and pieces was just wrong.
Rooster
6/30/2014 11:13am
Maybe the dog was pissing in the cops garage and eating his dogs food.

Doesn't that make it OK to shoot someone else's pet?
IWreckALot
6/30/2014 1:18pm
We had a story the other day here in the DFW that probably only made local news because it's finally a pit bull story that has a happy ending. Apparently a police officer was called because a Pit was roaming the streets. Everyone assumes it's out to try to attack someone so the cop (a pit owner himself) lured the pit into the back of his cruiser with a protein bar and the dog just licks him to death. The dog was reunited with it's owner who had recently adopted it and it had dug out.
Titan1
6/30/2014 3:42pm
There was a missing child...the police (and concerned neighbors and friends) were doing a door to door search for the child. That is why the cop was in the guys back yard. (the child was found a few hours later...unharmed).

This situation puts the police in a tough spot...if they search every yard and end up killing a dog, they are wrong...if they don't search every yard in the neighborhood, and don't find the kid, then they are wrong.

In this case, the child was found (and okay), and a dog was killed...so it wasn't good for the cop.
bsm121
6/30/2014 5:20pm
Titan1 wrote:
There was a missing child...the police (and concerned neighbors and friends) were doing a door to door search for the child. That is why the cop...
There was a missing child...the police (and concerned neighbors and friends) were doing a door to door search for the child. That is why the cop was in the guys back yard. (the child was found a few hours later...unharmed).

This situation puts the police in a tough spot...if they search every yard and end up killing a dog, they are wrong...if they don't search every yard in the neighborhood, and don't find the kid, then they are wrong.

In this case, the child was found (and okay), and a dog was killed...so it wasn't good for the cop.
They could have searched every yard AND not shot the dog.
DPR250R
6/30/2014 8:34pm
Would a warning shot be a bad idea? You know... Hit the ground in front of the dog. Crazy idea... I know.
DPR250R
6/30/2014 8:46pm
Another random thought... Is it a good idea to discharge a firearm while looking for a child?
Titan1
7/1/2014 9:11am
Titan1 wrote:
There was a missing child...the police (and concerned neighbors and friends) were doing a door to door search for the child. That is why the cop...

bsm121 wrote:
They could have searched every yard AND not shot the dog.
Well, I agree that killing the dog was almost entirely unnecessary. But that is with 20/20 hindsight. In that moment, while in a frantic door to door search for a missing child, the police officer wanted to search each back yard, a 110 lb dog aggressively comes towards him, and he shoots it. I disagree with him doing that, but I can honestly see how he felt-in that moment-it would be justified.
Racer92
7/1/2014 9:29am
Dont cops carry a small canister of mace or pepper spray they can use for stuff like dogs?

7/1/2014 10:16am
It is so difficult to get a dog to bite in that situation, especially one like a Weimaraner. I would say there was minimal chance that cop would have gotten bitten. Dogs in that situation almost always hold their ground and will maybe take a bite at you if you turn around or run. Even if it did bite there is no way a Weimaraner is going to maul or do any serious damage all that dog did is tell the cop to get out of his yard and the cop shot it because he is either a puss or complete jackass. Mailmen deal with this sort of thing everyday.
Titan1
7/1/2014 5:08pm
And that makes you an idiot.
Titan1
7/1/2014 5:12pm
Finding that missing child was way more important than that dogs life. If it was your kid missing, you would expect the police to leave no stone unturned in their search for your kid. And if an animal had to be killed in the process you would be okay with that. If it was my kid, I'd kill every dog in the neighborhood if they tried to prevent me from searching every yard for my child.

Human life is far more valuable than ANY animals life.
bsm121
7/1/2014 5:16pm
Titan1 wrote:
Finding that missing child was way more important than that dogs life. If it was your kid missing, you would expect the police to leave no...
Finding that missing child was way more important than that dogs life. If it was your kid missing, you would expect the police to leave no stone unturned in their search for your kid. And if an animal had to be killed in the process you would be okay with that. If it was my kid, I'd kill every dog in the neighborhood if they tried to prevent me from searching every yard for my child.

Please explain how the dog was preventing the search for the child...
7/2/2014 7:51am
Titan1 wrote:
Finding that missing child was way more important than that dogs life. If it was your kid missing, you would expect the police to leave no...

So the dog was just collateral damage? It wasn't like the dog was holding the kid hostage, or even on the property. Killing the dog had nothing to do with finding the kid. Don't property owners have rights?
smeg
7/2/2014 9:07am
The dude a couple post up was absolutely right. No reason to shoot the dog could have just pepper sprayed him!

I have never met or seen a police officer that didn't carry mace/pepper spray.
Titan1
7/2/2014 10:38am Edited Date/Time 7/2/2014 10:40am
Titan1 wrote:

bsm121 wrote:
He didn't allow the cop to do a thorough search of yard. What if the child had wandered back there, and was mauled by the dog? Or what if the owner of the dog had kidnapped the child and was holding her in the back yard using the dog as a shield.

Hind-sight shows that wasn't the case...but in the moment, the cop didn't know that. He was trying to find a missing child. Like I said, I don't agree that he killed the dog, there were a million ways to prevent that. But I can also see that in that moment, from his perspective, how he could feel it was justified. (That's my point.)
Titan1
7/2/2014 10:39am
Titan1 wrote:

So the dog was just collateral damage? It wasn't like the dog was holding the kid hostage, or even on the property. Killing the dog had...
So the dog was just collateral damage? It wasn't like the dog was holding the kid hostage, or even on the property. Killing the dog had nothing to do with finding the kid. Don't property owners have rights?
See my reply to bsm121...
7/2/2014 10:51am
Titan1 wrote:

bsm121 wrote:
Titan1 wrote:
He didn't allow the cop to do a thorough search of yard. What if the child had wandered back there, and was mauled by the dog...
He didn't allow the cop to do a thorough search of yard. What if the child had wandered back there, and was mauled by the dog? Or what if the owner of the dog had kidnapped the child and was holding her in the back yard using the dog as a shield.

Hind-sight shows that wasn't the case...but in the moment, the cop didn't know that. He was trying to find a missing child. Like I said, I don't agree that he killed the dog, there were a million ways to prevent that. But I can also see that in that moment, from his perspective, how he could feel it was justified. (That's my point.)
He had zero reason to believe either was the case. Besides it wouldn't have been any more difficult to search the backyard without shooting the dog. The cop was either angry at the dog and shot it out of spite or was unreasonably scared and panicked. A person should have the rite to own a dog without the threat of government officials killing it when it is contained on private property. If a ball goes in my neighbors yard and I jump the fence to get it, is it okay for me to shoot the dog if it growls and barks at me? of course not. Neither is it okay for a cop to shoot a dog when he is simply looking for a kid. If he is in hot pursuit or has reasonable cause to believe the kid is there then maybe, but not simply if he wants to search every back yard and somebody's dog acts completely natural.
Titan1
7/2/2014 11:08am
bsm121 wrote:
Titan1 wrote:
He didn't allow the cop to do a thorough search of yard. What if the child had wandered back there, and was mauled by the dog...

He had zero reason to believe either was the case. Besides it wouldn't have been any more difficult to search the backyard without shooting the dog...
He had zero reason to believe either was the case. Besides it wouldn't have been any more difficult to search the backyard without shooting the dog. The cop was either angry at the dog and shot it out of spite or was unreasonably scared and panicked. A person should have the rite to own a dog without the threat of government officials killing it when it is contained on private property. If a ball goes in my neighbors yard and I jump the fence to get it, is it okay for me to shoot the dog if it growls and barks at me? of course not. Neither is it okay for a cop to shoot a dog when he is simply looking for a kid. If he is in hot pursuit or has reasonable cause to believe the kid is there then maybe, but not simply if he wants to search every back yard and somebody's dog acts completely natural.
There was a missing child...they were doing a door to door, yard to yard search...so there, apparently, was EVERY reason to believe the child may have been in the yard. Don't let 20/20 hind-sight vision cloud your judgment on what was going on in that moment.

What if he had killed the dog and then found the child held in the back yard by the owner? Then what? He'd be a hero and neither the dog, nor the dog's owner no longer gets any sympathy-from anyone-because the owner would be a child kidnapping d-bag. Yes, hind-sight is 20/20, but again...don't let your 20/20 hind sight vision cloud your perspective on what it was like in that moment.

And YOU don't have the right to enter your neighbors yard uninvited-for any reason-, let alone kill their dog because you aren't a cop. But Cops do have the right, under circumstances like this, to enter private property, and to kill dogs when they feel threatened. You can't do that, because you aren't a cop. But whether you like it or not, a cop can.

How do you know all the dog was doing was barking and growling? What if the dog was barking and growling AND lunging/aggressively approaching the cop? YOU DON'T KNOW...all I'm trying to get you to do is stop arm chair quarterbacking the situation without knowing all the facts.

Its sad the dog was killed...but if it was my child missing and I found out a cop didn't completely search a backyard because of some dog...I'd go kill the dog myself and search the back yard. People are more important than animals, way more important.
7/2/2014 12:14pm
Wow. for a "Libertarian" you sure are taking a very anti individual property rights position on this. I am not using 20/20 hindsight or armchair quarterbacking on this one, I am simply using a minimal amount of commonsense. Just because a kid is missing in the neighborhood doesn't mean individuals lose their rights. If a child is missing in the neighborhood is it okay for them to search every house without a warrant? Are they allowed to just come in your house and if you feel threatened and react accordingly shoot you?

You are making a very strange dichotomy here. The situation isn't adequately search for kid and kill dog vs. inadequately search for kid and not kill dog. The officer could have done a thorough search without killing the dog just as easily (probably easier).

Like I said before this is no different than what mail men encounter on a daily basis since the dawn of the time (or whenever mail began being delivered house to house). I can guarantee you it would be next to impossible to get a Weimaraner to bite someone in that situation, 99.99% of dogs do not behave that way. If it were to bite (and that is a major if) it would hardly do any damage. There literally would have been dozens of other options the cop could have done instead of shooting the dog. A person who thought the best option was to shoot the dog in that situation is not even remotely mentally/emotionally qualified to be a police officer. The cop was either unreasonably angry or unreasonably scared. Neither is a acceptable trait for a police officer. It was a completely bizarre reaction that the tax payers are going to have to pay for.
Titan1
7/2/2014 1:14pm
Wow. for a "Libertarian" you sure are taking a very anti individual property rights position on this. I am not using 20/20 hindsight or armchair quarterbacking...
Wow. for a "Libertarian" you sure are taking a very anti individual property rights position on this. I am not using 20/20 hindsight or armchair quarterbacking on this one, I am simply using a minimal amount of commonsense. Just because a kid is missing in the neighborhood doesn't mean individuals lose their rights. If a child is missing in the neighborhood is it okay for them to search every house without a warrant? Are they allowed to just come in your house and if you feel threatened and react accordingly shoot you?

You are making a very strange dichotomy here. The situation isn't adequately search for kid and kill dog vs. inadequately search for kid and not kill dog. The officer could have done a thorough search without killing the dog just as easily (probably easier).

Like I said before this is no different than what mail men encounter on a daily basis since the dawn of the time (or whenever mail began being delivered house to house). I can guarantee you it would be next to impossible to get a Weimaraner to bite someone in that situation, 99.99% of dogs do not behave that way. If it were to bite (and that is a major if) it would hardly do any damage. There literally would have been dozens of other options the cop could have done instead of shooting the dog. A person who thought the best option was to shoot the dog in that situation is not even remotely mentally/emotionally qualified to be a police officer. The cop was either unreasonably angry or unreasonably scared. Neither is a acceptable trait for a police officer. It was a completely bizarre reaction that the tax payers are going to have to pay for.
I'm being a realist...the reality is that cops, in specific circumstances, can legally go onto someone's private property (not in their home, but on their property). Like it or not, that is the reality. The cop did nothing wrong.

How do you know the cop could have adequately searched the yard without killing the dog? Were you there? NO...so you are arm chair quarterbacking.

And you can't guarantee anything about what that particular dog would and wouldn't do. You don't know anything about the dog other than its breed. Again, you are arm chair quarterbacking.

You don't know anything about the cop, but yet are now qualified to do a psycho-analysis on him. Again, you are armchair quarterbacking.

Post a reply to: Cops shoot guys dog in private yard

The Latest