Consumerism and the rat race

Edited Date/Time 12/21/2012 10:26am
Anyone really really sick of things? The rat race, the money, the debt, the stress, all for crap we dont really need? Not sure why its hitting me harder this winter... maybe cause Im getting older. I make top 5 percentile wage, have a gorgeous house, lots of money in retirement savings, so dont get me wrong. But, sometimes when I spend time and reflect on websites like Mr. Money Mustache, and Early Retirement Extreme... It definitely makes me realize all the crap we chase is so hollow and worthless. People, family, friends, and health are far more important. I could seriously give up my 2012 450, house, crap.... to live a simpler less stressful life. I think I may have worked too hard from a young age. I wouldnt give it away, because I know that I worked harder than most are willing to, to achieve all this crap.

Point is.... was it worth it? I dont know. North America is jacked. Consumerism is a disease, that has polluted everyones judgement and lives. I hope everyone has a MEANINGFUL christmas, no matter what you believe in. Take the time to let the people around you know how much they mean to you, and slow down a bit. Heck, theres even a few of you losers I appreciate. But, not many. Ha ha! Smile
|
12/15/2012 3:53pm
Yeah you sound stressed, feel free to give me that 450 to relieve some of the burdenLaughing
jamma10
12/15/2012 4:11pm
Take a year off, travel the world. Sounds like you can afford to do it and it'll be the best move you ever make!

musmanni
12/15/2012 4:15pm
My wife and I each make in the top 5%. We have one car, a honda crv, rent a small 800sqft apartment, and have zero debt. Every object we own is junk, except computers. We move a lot so we buy ikea crap and when we move we leave it all, hop in the crv and move to the next city.

We like to travel the world, so that is what our fun money goes to, but other than that, we don't spend much.

Living this way creates a life of zero stress for us. We could both lose our jobs at the same time and it wouldn't affect us at all. We could actually pay the bills working at walmart. This also gives us a massive amount of power at our jobs. Not caring if you lose your job, gives you leverage over almost everybody at your work.

We started this lifestyle because we wanted to retire at 45, so, we cut out unneeded expenses and save as much as possible. We save about 85% of our income.

Also, we take really good care of the nice things we have. I have had the same movado watch for 14 years, same wallet for over 15 years, same oakley suglasses since 2003. We don't buy into the hype and feel the need to acquire new junk all the time.

The Shop

WhKnuckle
12/15/2012 4:17pm
You are totally correct. The trouble is, our entire economy is based on people buying more and more. The day America wakes up and discovers there's more to life than endless acquisition of stuff, America goes into a deep depression.

I'm retiring in about 4 years, and we're selling the house, buying a new RV and going out to live on the road for a few years. We're getting rid of everything that's not deeply sentimental, and we're traveling around until we are tired of it. Then we're buying a small house and we're going to grow as much of our own food as we can, and we're going to watch the sun come up and set every day.

4 more years, and we're out of here. The rat race is going to have to find some new rats.
scooter5002
12/15/2012 5:08pm
There really are no words to describe my loathing for the selfish society North America has become. The quest for the almighty dollar and the ignorance to others that comes in the pursuit of it. Relentless TV ads touting "sue everyone's ass off" shit, fuckin weight loss while laying on the couch, it's endless. Here's my favourite. Reverse mortgages. Like to shove THAT one up someones ass. Of course, let's not forget the "The World OWES Me" syndrome.
I've always been happy with food on my table, a roof over my head, a reliable vehicle to drive, and a bike to ride. In the last 2 months, I've lost my mother to a cruel 4 year debilitating slow death after working like a dog most of her life. Not how I pictured her "Golden Years". Also my ex-father-in-law to cancer, his brother-in-law 3 days after being a pall bearer at the funeral, a guy I've known 30 years to lung cancer, and a friend over 20 years my junior just diagnosed with cancer. He's not even 30. The quest for material things in my life is even LESS important than it ever was. Just happy to have a few good people in my life to hang with, most of all my girlfriend. Who waits at home 2000 miles away while I do my 3 week sentence at work. Then I get a week off for good behavior.
jtomasik
12/15/2012 7:03pm
I have a similar problem. Several dirt bikes in our stables, boats, Sea Doo's, buying a home on the coast, eating great meals every day, freedoms beyond belief....man, I'm a fucking prick.

(like we should be bitching, we're part of the problem)
bsm121
12/15/2012 7:23pm
Nothing wrong with ambition and enjoying the fruits of your labor. The problem is many cannot do so responsibly as their labor doesn't produce as much fruit as they'd like.
Tim507
12/15/2012 7:24pm
WhKnuckle wrote:
You are totally correct. The trouble is, our entire economy is based on people buying more and more. The day America wakes up and discovers there's...
You are totally correct. The trouble is, our entire economy is based on people buying more and more. The day America wakes up and discovers there's more to life than endless acquisition of stuff, America goes into a deep depression.

I'm retiring in about 4 years, and we're selling the house, buying a new RV and going out to live on the road for a few years. We're getting rid of everything that's not deeply sentimental, and we're traveling around until we are tired of it. Then we're buying a small house and we're going to grow as much of our own food as we can, and we're going to watch the sun come up and set every day.

4 more years, and we're out of here. The rat race is going to have to find some new rats.
Awesome goal.

I made my mind up for a similar goal a few months ago. I have accumulated way to much and work way to hard to sustain it all. It will take a few years to get to where I want to be, but I am committed to the change.
Mr. G
12/15/2012 9:46pm
musmanni wrote:
My wife and I each make in the top 5%. We have one car, a honda crv, rent a small 800sqft apartment, and have zero debt...
My wife and I each make in the top 5%. We have one car, a honda crv, rent a small 800sqft apartment, and have zero debt. Every object we own is junk, except computers. We move a lot so we buy ikea crap and when we move we leave it all, hop in the crv and move to the next city.

We like to travel the world, so that is what our fun money goes to, but other than that, we don't spend much.

Living this way creates a life of zero stress for us. We could both lose our jobs at the same time and it wouldn't affect us at all. We could actually pay the bills working at walmart. This also gives us a massive amount of power at our jobs. Not caring if you lose your job, gives you leverage over almost everybody at your work.

We started this lifestyle because we wanted to retire at 45, so, we cut out unneeded expenses and save as much as possible. We save about 85% of our income.

Also, we take really good care of the nice things we have. I have had the same movado watch for 14 years, same wallet for over 15 years, same oakley suglasses since 2003. We don't buy into the hype and feel the need to acquire new junk all the time.
That is really awesome. There is a guy on KFI 640 that has his entire show revolve around the scenario you just laid out. He lives on 25% and you beat it.
Sparkalounger
12/15/2012 10:16pm
weird... i had to get out of bed and try to "clear my mind" a little and decided to check in here for some infinite wisdom, hahaha...

Whats funny is that not even two hours ago while this conversation was happening, my wife and I were having the same exact conversation! I think we are ready to make a change ourselves... I mean what is it all for? I look at the history of mankind and how short of time it has taken to degrade this far, shoot even if you throw out the industrial revolution and go back further, say a few thousand years it is still just snapshot in time. Yet the majority of the population acts like this is how it has always been...

I say no, we need to food, shelter and love.

We are / were in the process of finally getting our dream place on 20 acres and are now feeling like it's no longer worth the chase...

Life shouldn't have to be this complicated. You're right, it's consumerism that drives this bus.
12/16/2012 9:08am
Yep, I was out doing some christmas shopping yesterday, and it really hit me. The mall was PACKED, and it was like watching a slow motion car accident. I wanted to look away, but couldnt. ha ha! I was just getting stocking stuffers, so nothing serious, but I just was thinking how much of the crap in that mall, and that everyone was taking home, is just going to end up in the landfill in 5 years. Yet, our societies in the US and Canada are crumbling around us. Families are working harder to maintain all this junk we have. The social implications are huge. Its a slow, planned mental programming of society away from what is important.

I am really really getting tempted to sell it all, and just simplify. I was in a rather high end senior managment meeting the other day, where we are talking about layoffs, budget cuts, etc etc. I actually have been losing a little sleep over it, due to the human side of it. Its peoples lives, and it amazes me how callous some people are to it. I guess its just maturity, age and a softening of ones spirit that makes one a bit more self aware. We are finite beings, and we spend soooo much of that precious time chasing junk that takes away from the actual quality of that time, and the time we spend with the ones we care about. Dumb!

Bartziokas..... I got to admit, I knew that someone would say that, before I even posted this, and it was still funny reading that. Good stuff mister. Smile
JW381
12/16/2012 9:20am
Yes, I'm 22 and I'm already so spent on it. I hope to always keep myself from being a complete participant in the race.
Hut
12/16/2012 10:22am
Racer92
12/16/2012 1:43pm
I never bought into the rat race, the big city and money.

I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth. ~ Steve McQueen
12/16/2012 2:58pm
Racer92 wrote:
I never bought into the rat race, the big city and money. [img]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b277/database2/Farm/hayburners.jpg[/img] [i]I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city...
I never bought into the rat race, the big city and money.

I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth. ~ Steve McQueen
Well, I lived on my farm up till about a year ago. I grain farmed on the side, as well worked full time in the oil and gas industry. I had 3 years of the worst drought basically on record in my area, and then one year of an early frost, so that finished off my farm. But, It was stupid busy. It wasnt sustainable. One man cant do two mens work, and not have something that goes sideways. But, I am just speaking to recently. I feel like I need to steer towards a slower, more relaxed life. I seriously have worked harder than 95% of the normal population, and I think Im just getting tired. Or maybe a couple week holiday to somewhere that my blackberry doesnt work.... ha ha!

I sure dont miss our horses though. Hay burning things.... lol My oldest daughter had a really gentle, slow old Morgan. It tipped over dead in the pasture of old age. That was a nice horse. Smile
bd
12/16/2012 3:24pm
Anyone really really sick of things? The rat race, the money, the debt, the stress, all for crap we dont really need? Not sure why its...
Anyone really really sick of things? The rat race, the money, the debt, the stress, all for crap we dont really need? Not sure why its hitting me harder this winter... maybe cause Im getting older. I make top 5 percentile wage, have a gorgeous house, lots of money in retirement savings, so dont get me wrong. But, sometimes when I spend time and reflect on websites like Mr. Money Mustache, and Early Retirement Extreme... It definitely makes me realize all the crap we chase is so hollow and worthless. People, family, friends, and health are far more important. I could seriously give up my 2012 450, house, crap.... to live a simpler less stressful life. I think I may have worked too hard from a young age. I wouldnt give it away, because I know that I worked harder than most are willing to, to achieve all this crap.

Point is.... was it worth it? I dont know. North America is jacked. Consumerism is a disease, that has polluted everyones judgement and lives. I hope everyone has a MEANINGFUL christmas, no matter what you believe in. Take the time to let the people around you know how much they mean to you, and slow down a bit. Heck, theres even a few of you losers I appreciate. But, not many. Ha ha! Smile
Did you just realize that you have a greater purpose than money and material goods? Own your goods.... do not let your goods own you. Happiness and joy comes from within, not from exterior items. Is NA jacked? No... people buy into consumerism.
bd
12/16/2012 3:27pm
WhKnuckle wrote:
You are totally correct. The trouble is, our entire economy is based on people buying more and more. The day America wakes up and discovers there's...

Pretty cool.

I know an artist who lived in Budget Suite to crank out art. I learned the danger of attachment from him. He had paint brushes, clothes, and pots and pans.... told me he had the frredom to leave anytime. I envied his life for years.... he had few things, imense amount of freedom, and lived his purpose
bd
12/16/2012 3:29pm
WhKnuckle wrote:

One other note: you speak of cheap money and a consumption economy.

America will have to be on its death bed before we take radical action.
bd
12/16/2012 3:29pm
Great thread
12/16/2012 4:32pm Edited Date/Time 12/16/2012 4:35pm
Anyone really really sick of things? The rat race, the money, the debt, the stress, all for crap we dont really need? Not sure why its...

bd wrote:
Did you just realize that you have a greater purpose than money and material goods? Own your goods.... do not let your goods own you. Happiness...
Did you just realize that you have a greater purpose than money and material goods? Own your goods.... do not let your goods own you. Happiness and joy comes from within, not from exterior items. Is NA jacked? No... people buy into consumerism.
No, of course not. Or, at least not completely. I think I have just put too much value on hard work, being successful and achieving things. It has meant a TON of sacrifice, even so far as aging quicker than most. I dont think I kept the balance as much as I should have. I have always prided myself in being fairly self aware, but I have been a bit of a workaholic. So, when you stand back and look at society as a whole, and the amount of time and energy and life we spend chasing crap we dont need, that adds no real value to our lives, it can be a bit sobering. The word "Sheeple" really describes our world these days. It is a good thing to pursue, and always learn or improve but it needs to be at a reasonable cost.

Its not that simple to say NA isnt jacked. People buy into it, I agree. However, they are submerged into it. Without some clear guidance, I dont think most people really realize how much thier lives really are controlled by that influence. The pursuit of happiness isnt generally taught to most, that it is not in purchases or material items. Thats part of why our system is crumbling. The core values that make a strong society are degrading for instant consumer gratification. It boils into most every aspect of our lives I think. I think for myself, I just need to invest more time in family and freinds than I have. I wouldnt say I was a crazy consumer, or shallow, but I have had the balance tilted too far to the work and achievement side. Everything comes at a price. Smile
WhKnuckle
12/16/2012 5:33pm Edited Date/Time 12/16/2012 5:35pm
WhKnuckle wrote:

bd wrote:
Pretty cool. I know an artist who lived in Budget Suite to crank out art. I learned the danger of attachment from him. He had paint...
Pretty cool.

I know an artist who lived in Budget Suite to crank out art. I learned the danger of attachment from him. He had paint brushes, clothes, and pots and pans.... told me he had the frredom to leave anytime. I envied his life for years.... he had few things, imense amount of freedom, and lived his purpose
One of the people that I've admired the most was a singer/songwriter named Rich Mullins. He was a Christian singer who wrote some of the most-beloved songs ever, and who made millions. But early in his professional life, he named a group of elders in this church who were responsible for paying Rich the average American worker's wages and giving the rest away. Rich lived in a small hut on a reservation on the New Mexico/Arizona border and taught music to Native American children.

Rich died in a car wreck in 1997, and his friends went to his house to bring all his belongings to his family. They picked up everything he owned, took it back to Indiana and stored it all in a 8 X 10 storage building. Everything he owned fit in 80 square feet.

The longer and better we live, our footprints on this Earth should become shallower and our touch on the souls of other people should become deeper.
jtomasik
12/16/2012 5:40pm
Providing a very good living doesn't preclude an adult from creating an honorable, responsible family, unless you're lazy, selfish, or dumb.
wildbill
12/17/2012 6:11pm

bd wrote:
Did you just realize that you have a greater purpose than money and material goods? Own your goods.... do not let your goods own you. Happiness...
No, of course not. Or, at least not completely. I think I have just put too much value on hard work, being successful and achieving things...
No, of course not. Or, at least not completely. I think I have just put too much value on hard work, being successful and achieving things. It has meant a TON of sacrifice, even so far as aging quicker than most. I dont think I kept the balance as much as I should have. I have always prided myself in being fairly self aware, but I have been a bit of a workaholic. So, when you stand back and look at society as a whole, and the amount of time and energy and life we spend chasing crap we dont need, that adds no real value to our lives, it can be a bit sobering. The word "Sheeple" really describes our world these days. It is a good thing to pursue, and always learn or improve but it needs to be at a reasonable cost.

Its not that simple to say NA isnt jacked. People buy into it, I agree. However, they are submerged into it. Without some clear guidance, I dont think most people really realize how much thier lives really are controlled by that influence. The pursuit of happiness isnt generally taught to most, that it is not in purchases or material items. Thats part of why our system is crumbling. The core values that make a strong society are degrading for instant consumer gratification. It boils into most every aspect of our lives I think. I think for myself, I just need to invest more time in family and freinds than I have. I wouldnt say I was a crazy consumer, or shallow, but I have had the balance tilted too far to the work and achievement side. Everything comes at a price. Smile
Great topic madmax. I've dwelled on this a bit and think there's so many variables at work that we miss the biggest, most important thing in our "pursuit of happiness'' and that, for me, is not forgetting to pursue integrity. If I can get my ego in check, I have a chance.
12/17/2012 9:07pm
wildbill wrote:
Great topic madmax. I've dwelled on this a bit and think there's so many variables at work that we miss the biggest, most important thing in...
Great topic madmax. I've dwelled on this a bit and think there's so many variables at work that we miss the biggest, most important thing in our "pursuit of happiness'' and that, for me, is not forgetting to pursue integrity. If I can get my ego in check, I have a chance.
Wildbill, integrity is another quality that is considerably diminished in todays society. We work to much, so we spend less time with our families, and it just snowballs from there. There isnt the accountability in today that there needs to be in my mind. Thats a pretty generic statement, but I think it rings fairly true. Take care mister.
whyZ
12/18/2012 8:38am
Sounds to me like volunteering at something you believe in might do you some good. You can't put a price on helping someone who are unable to help themselves.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
12/19/2012 7:58am
“Vanity of vanities,” said the teacher. “Vanity of vanities, all is vanity. What profit has a man from all his labor which he does under the sun?" - Ancient King of Asia
12/19/2012 9:13am
We work all our lives for stability and material possessions. Then once we get it, we realize that it is only part of what we neeed. We need meaning.

Checks out the book"Man's Search for Meaning" by Viktor Frankl. It's not religious or spirituatl, just a logical breakdown of what we really need- and that is to be dedicated to something larger than ourselves. He came to this conclusion after almost dying in a WWII concentration camp.
It's also a hell of a story about being in a concentration camp. Unfucking believable really.
12/19/2012 1:42pm
Now THAT sounds like a great read. Going to order it for a family member, cause I have to get a good book. Then, I can read it after them... lol Going to order it right now.
12/20/2012 1:08pm
Now THAT sounds like a great read. Going to order it for a family member, cause I have to get a good book. Then, I can...
Now THAT sounds like a great read. Going to order it for a family member, cause I have to get a good book. Then, I can read it after them... lol Going to order it right now.
Unforgettable book. You won't regret it. An easy read too.

Post a reply to: Consumerism and the rat race

The Latest