Conor McGregor say he is done...

ocscottie
Edited Date/Time 4/4/2019 10:21am
In a tweet last night he says he is retiring from MMA.

------------------------------------------------------------------
@TheNotoriousMMA

Hey guys quick announcement, I’ve decided to retire from the sport formally known as “Mixed Martial Art” today.
I wish all my old colleagues well going forward in competition.
I now join my former partners on this venture, already in retirement.
Proper Pina Coladas on me fellas!
------------------------------------------------------------------

I call bullshit.
|
AHRMA361
Fantasy
180th
3/26/2019 7:52am
I call BS as well. He's too vain to actually do it.

The Shop

3/26/2019 11:56am
I remember he "retired" before on twitter so it's kinda hard to believe. I really hope he doesn't anyway, he may have got his ass whooped by Khabib but he's still a hell of a fighter and great entertainment.
tobias56
3/26/2019 1:43pm
Will not be surprised either if he re-enter the ring soon.
3/26/2019 1:50pm
The rape allegations in Ireland are now public. Not saying he’s guilty but it’s more than just rumors of a arrest.

The rumors surrounding the guy are pretty gnarly. Supposedly way worse than what makes it to public domain. Guys in the media behind the scenes hear some crazy shit. But nothing factual (yet) nor do any of the media wanna hurt Conor. He’s generally well liked and always been good with media so the journalists arent with a axe to grind.

Everyone would much rather just see him get his life back together and chase greatness some more. He’s a very special athlete that clearly (imo) has lost his way a bit.
Middleside
3/26/2019 1:52pm
Hes too distracted and will just get beatings anyway. He had nothing for Khabib.
The more he talks shit the worse the beating he gets. Diaz was right. "You were fighting midgets before"
jeffro503
3/26/2019 2:06pm
I honestly can't stand the fucker. Good ridden's!
ocscottie
3/26/2019 3:01pm
The rape allegations in Ireland are now public. Not saying he’s guilty but it’s more than just rumors of a arrest. The rumors surrounding the guy...
The rape allegations in Ireland are now public. Not saying he’s guilty but it’s more than just rumors of a arrest.

The rumors surrounding the guy are pretty gnarly. Supposedly way worse than what makes it to public domain. Guys in the media behind the scenes hear some crazy shit. But nothing factual (yet) nor do any of the media wanna hurt Conor. He’s generally well liked and always been good with media so the journalists arent with a axe to grind.

Everyone would much rather just see him get his life back together and chase greatness some more. He’s a very special athlete that clearly (imo) has lost his way a bit.
Coming up on SportCenter now.....
3/26/2019 4:24pm
Great interview.

But I gotta think Dana knows Conor is negotiating.

If it was a REAL retirement announcement, Conor would have a formal event made out of it like GSP did. Why? Because it maximizes his marketing potential for his other endeavors.

And I also dont buy for a second that the owners of the UFC arent worried about the lost revenue here. There is easily a billion dollars of gross revenue left in the Conor tank. They aint getting off that train yet. No way.
ocscottie
3/26/2019 4:46pm
There is another one that i accidentally closed my browser on when i went to have dinner, ill dig it up later after the NBA game...
Sully
3/26/2019 4:55pm
I always got the feeling that fighting was just a means to an end for him. He made his money and moved on to other things. If he tried to fight now, he'd likely get smashed, because his head's not in it anymore (and if I was sitting on close to $100mil, I wouldn't be too keen on getting hit in the face again, either).
Middleside
3/26/2019 5:14pm
That rape thing is old news. I'm more curious about the woman claiming she had his kid.
Pretty weird. Broad looks like his GF, kid looks like Conor.
SojCZE
3/27/2019 5:09am
I bet if JGR would be willing to pay a few millions per race Conor McGregor would be filling in for Reedy.
rhargrave431
3/27/2019 6:02am
He probably has more value as an actor or celeb then he does as a fighter. He made 100 mill in an exhibition boxing match.
ocscottie
3/27/2019 8:49am
He probably has more value as an actor or celeb then he does as a fighter. He made 100 mill in an exhibition boxing match.
His whiskey is supposedly doing really well.
3/27/2019 9:11am Edited Date/Time 3/27/2019 9:12am
He's got $200m guaranteed left on his UFC contract that he just signed plus the PPV points.

He's already worth/made about $500m in his career, and could top a billion if he keeps fighting.

I think the issue is the new UFC deal with ESPN. The way PPV is distributed now, you MUST buy it thru the ESPN+ app. Which means you must have a ESPN+ subscription. No more buying the fight thru your cable provider or the UFC's app.

This has been lucrative for UFC while it will hurt PPV sales and affect fighters income like Conor. He obviously wants his deal re-structured so he gets more money up front until the UFC & ESPN can prove that the single distribution point model hasnt lowered PPV buys.

This is all just a negotiation. There's no way he's looking to actually retire. And the UFC needs him. If he's got another $500m to be made for himself, that means the UFC would make 3x that from him. And his other business endeavors depend on his fighting as it's his primary marketing device.
3/27/2019 10:01am
Middleside wrote:
Hes too distracted and will just get beatings anyway. He had nothing for Khabib. The more he talks shit the worse the beating he gets. Diaz...
Hes too distracted and will just get beatings anyway. He had nothing for Khabib.
The more he talks shit the worse the beating he gets. Diaz was right. "You were fighting midgets before"
Eddie Alvarez wasn't a midget and he obliterated him...
peelout
3/27/2019 10:32am Edited Date/Time 3/27/2019 10:32am
ocscottie wrote:
His whiskey is supposedly doing really well.
i saw a "Proper Twelve" box truck on my way to Moab last weekend, big ol' pic of Conor on the side. i thought it was pretty cool.
motosmith
3/27/2019 11:08am
Lets not get carried away. Remember our friend the IRS. takes 40%. McGregor probably has 100 million but not much more than that.

That's still plenty of coin. No need to get your head kicked anymore.
3/27/2019 11:17am Edited Date/Time 3/27/2019 11:18am
motosmith wrote:
Lets not get carried away. Remember our friend the IRS. takes 40%. McGregor probably has 100 million but not much more than that. That's still plenty...
Lets not get carried away. Remember our friend the IRS. takes 40%. McGregor probably has 100 million but not much more than that.

That's still plenty of coin. No need to get your head kicked anymore.
You pay taxes based on your residency.

He’s not an American citizen. Not that Ireland’s taxes are any better. He would pay up the ass if he was indeed paying Irish taxes, which I suspect he isnt.

He can afford any number of ways to hide his wealth. From buying citizenship in Monaco to simply using offshore accounts & shell companies. It’s the norm in his stratosphere.

He’s made around $500m during his career. I bet he still has at least half. But who really knows. His spending habits are legendary. And his investments are money pits (alcohol & clothing line).

The alcohol brand should turn a hefty profit when he sells his stake tho. Clooney’s tequila sold for a billion right?

Let’s say Conor has $250m in the bank still. But another $500m of potential earning from fighting & another $500m he could earn from the sale of his whiskey brand (if he keeps promoting it via fighting). That’s a billion left on the table.

He’s not gonna pass that up. It’s right there for the easy taking.
zehn
3/27/2019 11:46am
You pay taxes based on your residency. He’s not an American citizen. Not that Ireland’s taxes are any better. He would pay up the ass if...
You pay taxes based on your residency.

He’s not an American citizen. Not that Ireland’s taxes are any better. He would pay up the ass if he was indeed paying Irish taxes, which I suspect he isnt.

He can afford any number of ways to hide his wealth. From buying citizenship in Monaco to simply using offshore accounts & shell companies. It’s the norm in his stratosphere.

He’s made around $500m during his career. I bet he still has at least half. But who really knows. His spending habits are legendary. And his investments are money pits (alcohol & clothing line).

The alcohol brand should turn a hefty profit when he sells his stake tho. Clooney’s tequila sold for a billion right?

Let’s say Conor has $250m in the bank still. But another $500m of potential earning from fighting & another $500m he could earn from the sale of his whiskey brand (if he keeps promoting it via fighting). That’s a billion left on the table.

He’s not gonna pass that up. It’s right there for the easy taking.
Might want to check your facts here. If you earn that money in the US, you pay US taxes on it
zehn
3/27/2019 12:02pm
zehn wrote:
Might want to check your facts here. If you earn that money in the US, you pay US taxes on it
American athletes I worked with, when overseas, had to pay taxes based on their citizenship/residency.

https://taxfoundation.org/how-countries-define-their-income-tax-borders…
As with anything taxes it’s very complicated with lots of rules/exemptions, but the general rule of thumb here still applies.

https://finance.uw.edu/globalsupport/tax-responsibilities-foreign-natio…

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/aliens-employed…

Post a reply to: Conor McGregor say he is done...

The Latest