Concerts

sean.koonts
Edited Date/Time 4/29/2018 4:11pm
I love having these conversations and seeing everyone's musical tastes. 2 Part question.

1. What was the first concert you ever attended

2. What is your top 5 concerts

First concert I ever attended was Green Day/ Living end Convention Hall Asbury Park, NJ 6/26/2001

Top 5

1. Paul McCartney One On One tour Metlife Stadium 8/27/2016
2. Black Sabbath the End tour at Madison Square Garden 2/25/2016
3. Metallica Worldwired tour at Metlife Stadium 5/14/2017
4. Vandals/Pennywise/Bad Religion/The Offspring 20th anniversary of Smash Tour at the Stone Pony Summer Stage in Asbury Park NJ. 8/1/14
5. Streetlight Manifesto At Pine Belt Arena Keasbey Nights Album in full 5/5/18 - I know this is early, but it will be on this list.
|
dsmith
Fantasy
1485th
4/17/2018 8:13am
i cant remember the first one..

seen slayer 5 times
one of the best ones was six feet under and man-o-war...in fort wayne,ind..
JAFO92
4/17/2018 9:42am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2018 9:55am
1st - Three Dog Night - Corpus Christi Coliseum - 1974

Allman Brothers Band - 'Shades of Two Worlds' tour (w/ Dickey Betts) - Woodlands Pavillion - 1993
Heaven & Hell - Reunion tour - Woodlands Pavillion - 2007
RUSH - 'Moving Pictures' tour - Sam Houston Coliseum - 1981
Rolling Stones -'Tattoo You' tour - Astrodome - 1981
KISS - 'Love Gun' tour - The Summit - 1977

Honorable Mention: New Years Eve Y2K Bash - ZZ Top & Lynyrd Skynyrd - The Summit - Dec. 31st 1999

motosmith
4/17/2018 10:24am
1st concert- Huey Lewis and The News.

Best concert- Guns and Roses, Seattle Washington.

KennyT
Fantasy
280th
4/17/2018 12:02pm
Can’t remember all the dates.

First one was Rush around 1978

My top 5

Paul McCartney a couple years ago at Petco Park
Bruce Springsteen around 1980 (he played for 4 hours! )
Santana a few times
Motley Crew....Forum in LA around 1985?
Stephen Stills ...recently at a small venue in Solana Beach. The guy had more talent than I realized but his voice was shot. Being right next to the stage with only a few hundred people made this one of my favorites.

The Shop

DoctorJD
4/17/2018 12:32pm
First concert: Elvis Presley 1973. I was only 10 at the time and I don't remember much so I didn't put it in my top-5.

My top 5:
Queen 1982. Not sure what to say. They sounded amazing and Freddie was every bit the front man that they say he was.

Van Halen 1983 This was the Diver Down tour. While it may not have been the best album, the show was amazing. Of the four times I've seen VH, this one was the best.

Rolling Stones (Steel Wheels tour) 1991? I've seen the Stones three times, but the Steel Wheels show was the first of the "comeback" concerts, and IMO, the best. Also the first time I've ever camped out for tickets.

Prince (Purple Rain tour) 1986. I was a casual Prince fan, but it's not a concert I would have normally gone to. I was dating this chick at the time who loved Prince, (and I wanted to impress) so I got tickets. One of the best live performances of any performer I've seen of any genre of music. Period. Price was a master.

Aerosmith 2010. While I've been a long-time fan, I never got to see them live. My wife loves them, and scored us incredible floor seats for the show. They didn't mail it in like a lot of re-hashers are doing these days. They were spot-on, and Steven and Joe acted liked they were best friends on stage. The encore was Steven playing a white grand piano that came up out of the floor with Joe Perry standing on it playing Dream On. Freaking bad ass. Steven didn't miss a note.

peelout
4/17/2018 2:48pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2018 2:55pm
1st - Dan Seals (i was 8 or 9)

top 5 in order - George Strait, Metallica, The Offspring, Tool, Heart

going to 311 on Saturday, and Dirty Heads on June 21. it'll be my 3rd 311 concert, but the Dirty Heads will be my first. really dig their music lately.

i'm really into all kinds of music but i really love live shows. i could be totally not into the music beforehand but will have a great time at the concert. case in point - Devil Makes Three. i was trying to bang this chick in my 20's and she got some tickets but her friends ditched her. she asked me to go, and i was trying to plow, so i said yeah. had no idea who they were or what kind of music, but was pleasantly surprised. i got drunk and she was the DD. but also bummed, she didn't put out. Utah. sometimes just gotta love it.
Rooster
4/17/2018 3:13pm
First was Motley Crüe/Ozzy on the Shout at the devil/Bark at the Moon tour

Best was U2 - Joshua Tree

seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
4/17/2018 3:15pm
My first ever was Rage Against The Machine.

I'm not even sure I can order my favorites...

-Seeing Deftones in a tiny basement club in Cambridge, MA
-Between the Buried and Me, Dream Theater & Opeth
-Reach The Sky, Buried Alive, Converge, Coalesce, etc probably craziest show I have been to where bodies were just flying around
scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
4/17/2018 7:48pm
1st Pearl Jam 1995, Mt Smart Supertop Auckland, i was in my last year of high school,

top 5

Offspring/Pennywise/Bad Religion on the smash 25th anniversary tour, Hard Rock Las Vegas, 2014
Pearl Jam, Big day Out Western Springs, Auckland, 2014
Enimem Rapture Tour 2013 Western Spings NZ
Foo Fighters, seen them a few times, best was the show this year at Mt Smart Stadium with Weezer, poured wth rain the hole time in a open air stadium, still one of the best shows ever
1997 Big day Out, Western Springs Auckland, Sound Garden, Prodigy, and the Off Spring head lined awesome show,
71Fish
4/17/2018 8:36pm
38 Special with Golden Earring opening, 1981.

Iron Maiden
Oasis
Slipknot
Metallica
Garth Brooks.

Damn, I'm jelous of DoctorJD seeing Prince. One of my all time favorite I've never seen live, along with GN-R.

reded
4/18/2018 4:42am
I've only been to three.

1. Def Leppard-1993 Kemper Arena
2. Metallica/GunsNRoses 1992 Arrowhead Stadium
*probably would have ranked #1 had James not been recovering still from the mishap in Montreal. He was vocals only so his normal effect was missing.*
3. Billy Squier 1991

It didn't take me long to realize that I don't care for the large crowds and long hours of being a concert goer.
Give me a good cover band in a shithole tavern with a beer special and I'm completely content.
1-forty-8
4/18/2018 5:02am
Slipknot in 2002 was my first at the NIA in Birmingham.

Top 5:

Pearl Jam in 2012 @ Manchester.

Led Zepplin in 2007 @ the 02 in London.

Deftones in 2006 @ Nottingham

System of a Down in 2005 @ Download Festival

Audioslave in 2003 @ Download Festival
wreckitrandy
4/18/2018 8:23am
1st. Kiss with local boys Nantucket opening. '77 Charlotte

Top 5
That first Kiss concert made a pretty big impression. On the flip side, about 15 years ago, i saw them again and they stunk. I was disappointed.

Blackfoot. I took a sweetie to see Foreigner but Blackfoot was fresh out in support of Strikes. They made a mud hole out of Foreigner.

Kansas. Just freaks of nature, musically.

ZZ Top. If you can't have fun at a Top show, you're in a bad place.

Mother's Finest. Just lethal.

4/18/2018 2:24pm
The Eagles, Dixie Chicks, and Keith Urban in 2008 in Gilette. Didn’t listen to the Dixie Chicks or Keith Urban, but the Eagles were pretty good. I was 10 at the time.

Top 5:
Metallica/Volbeat last year on the Hardwired tour. They put on a REAAAAALLY good show and I walked in figuring it wouldn’t be that good since they’ve been doing it forever, but it was awesome. My dad said it was better than all the ones he went to in the 90s.

AC/DC last year or year before. Really good, Brian Johnson sounded great and they had a shit ton of fireworks.

Guns ‘n Roses around the same time. The show was only a few minutes late too! Didn’t really care for Lenny Kravitz though.

Slayer/Anthrax/Avenged Sevenfold/Volbeat/Killswitch Engage and a few others at a festival down in Connecticut a couple years ago. Great time and lots of moshing.

Seether/Avenged Sevenfold/Hellyeah was pretty good. Hot as balls and it rained, but good show overall.
BMSOBx2
4/18/2018 2:49pm Edited Date/Time 4/18/2018 3:06pm
First concert the Rolling Stones 1964 LA Sports Arena. Could barely hear the band over all the screaming girls but what an introduction to the power of rock and roll.

Best concert had to be the Tubes Halloween night 75 or 76, crowd was in costume. White Punks on dope, Vegas Chorus Line, half naked girl on a red velvet swing over the top of the stage, Mondo bondage. Stage show so outrageous I expected someone to turn on the lights and say we can't have this here.

Hendrix 1969 Waikiki Shell Honolulu Hawaii.

James Gang, Mountain and Black Oak Arkansas Long Beach Auditorium 1970.

Bob Marley and the Wailers Fox Theater Oakland 1972.

Stephen Stills and Manassas Spokane Washington 1973.

I'm sure there's more but things get a little fuzzy.
CoolCool
4/18/2018 3:47pm
First concert was the offspring in 97.

Fav notables, saw pantera/slayer together. Motörhead several times. Turbonegro and blood for blood shows were like participating in a boxing match. Ive been on stage with dropkick murphys on my 18th b day and again years later.

Fav band to see live was gwar. Love the music and the live show is a mess. Literally.
dmc22tx
4/18/2018 4:41pm
JAFO92 wrote:
1st - Three Dog Night - Corpus Christi Coliseum - 1974 Allman Brothers Band - 'Shades of Two Worlds' tour (w/ Dickey Betts) - Woodlands Pavillion...
1st - Three Dog Night - Corpus Christi Coliseum - 1974

Allman Brothers Band - 'Shades of Two Worlds' tour (w/ Dickey Betts) - Woodlands Pavillion - 1993
Heaven & Hell - Reunion tour - Woodlands Pavillion - 2007
RUSH - 'Moving Pictures' tour - Sam Houston Coliseum - 1981
Rolling Stones -'Tattoo You' tour - Astrodome - 1981
KISS - 'Love Gun' tour - The Summit - 1977

Honorable Mention: New Years Eve Y2K Bash - ZZ Top & Lynyrd Skynyrd - The Summit - Dec. 31st 1999

I was at that Rolling Stones concert. Stones / ZZ Top & Fabulous Thunderbirds?
Was a sophomore in high school and lived in Beaumont area at the time. During the ride over was so stoned out my mind the drive seemed like it only look 15 minutes... at least that's what I remember of it. Ha!
plowboy
4/18/2018 4:54pm
My first was The Grass Roots and Little Richard in '73 I believe. When Little Richard jumped outta that coffin it scared the shit right out of me.

1. AC/DC - Cambridge Corn Exchange UK, '77, Let There Be Rock tour.
2. AC/DC - some dance hall in Southend UK, the very next night.
3. Van Halen - Cains Ballroom, Tulsa Ok, '78.
4. Queen - Wembley Arena, UK, '78, News of the World Tour.
5. Be Bop Deluxe - Hammersmith Odeon, UK, '78, Live in the Air Age tour.
6. Soft White Underbelly (Blue Oyster Cult), - some random pub in London, Spectres tour.
7. Cheap Trick - Cambridge University, UK - '78, Heaven Tonight tour.

I had my elbows on stage at every one of these concerts except Queen. I was lucky enough to have a few drinks with Bon and the Young brothers. Had a real good time with The Boys at the Cains as well. I never liked big arenas....up close and personal is the only way.
dmc22tx
4/18/2018 5:50pm Edited Date/Time 4/18/2018 5:51pm
First Concert: Cheap Trick 1979 - San Antonio Sunken Gardens 13 years old Don't know why I saved the ticket stub, but did.

Top 5 in no order:
> Ozzy Osbourne - Feb 1982 - Beaumont Fair Park Coliseum - A couple of days before Ozzy pissed on the Alamo and about a month before Randy Rhoads died.
> Pantera/Skid Row - March 1992 - Freeman Coliseum San Antonio - Scored 4th row tickets just a couple of hours before the show.
> Judas Priest /Iron Maiden - June 1981 - Hemisphere Arena San Antonio
> Linkin Park/Korn - August 2004 - Verizon Wireless Amphitheater - Selma Texas - Sat with my back to the sound board. Sound clarity was like no other. The hair on the arm moved with each beat.
> Many Rockstar Music Festival shows across the tears - System of a Down, Slipknot, Mudvayne performances come to mind.

Great memories..

JAFO92
4/18/2018 7:42pm
dmc22tx wrote:
I was at that Rolling Stones concert. Stones / ZZ Top & Fabulous Thunderbirds? Was a sophomore in high school and lived in Beaumont area at...
Was a sophomore in high school and lived in Beaumont area at the time. During the ride over was so stoned out my mind the drive seemed like it only look 15 minutes... at least that's what I remember of it. Ha!
Yessir, that was the show. The stage was HUGE and Mick ran from one end to the other like a man possessed. The acoustics sucked but that was typical for the 'Dome shows. I was in a garage band and the guy who played lead and owned the PA had won some tickets on 101 KLOL radio and took me along. Its kinda interesting, as I recall ZZ Top really didnt play that well that night (the band we were in covered lots of other stuff so when they came on we were listening with discriminating ears). But they redeemed themselves Dec 1999, their production and playing both were flawless. They had that moving sidewalks set and it was cool AF.
wreckitrandy
4/18/2018 9:12pm
dmc22tx wrote:
I was at that Rolling Stones concert. Stones / ZZ Top & Fabulous Thunderbirds? Was a sophomore in high school and lived in Beaumont area at...
JAFO92 wrote:
Yessir, that was the show. The stage was HUGE and Mick ran from one end to the other like a man possessed. The acoustics sucked but...
Yessir, that was the show. The stage was HUGE and Mick ran from one end to the other like a man possessed. The acoustics sucked but that was typical for the 'Dome shows. I was in a garage band and the guy who played lead and owned the PA had won some tickets on 101 KLOL radio and took me along. Its kinda interesting, as I recall ZZ Top really didnt play that well that night (the band we were in covered lots of other stuff so when they came on we were listening with discriminating ears). But they redeemed themselves Dec 1999, their production and playing both were flawless. They had that moving sidewalks set and it was cool AF.
Nantucket sounded awful at that show with Kiss. It took many years but I finally learned why. At that time, it was common for the opening act to get sabotaged. The FOH and monitors wouldn't all be on. Ego's, they're mighty fragile things.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
4/18/2018 9:30pm
1 KISS

1 KISS
2 ZZ Top recycler tour
3 Stray cats
4 REO speedwagon at Red rocks
5 Jackson's Victory tour
Spydee
4/19/2018 9:53am
1st: Muse - Newport, Wales (2001)

Notables:
Slipknot - Cardiff, Wales (2001)
Foo Fighters - Dublin, Ireland (2007)
The Offspring - Brixton, London (2009)
Muse - Manchester, England (2010)
Rise Against - Cardiff, Wales (2012)
Deftones - Birmingham, England (2013)
Apulanta - Helsinki, Finland (2015)
Lit - Bristol, England (2015)
MudPup545
4/22/2018 8:29am Edited Date/Time 4/22/2018 8:57am
First: KISS, Detroit-Cobo Hall. December 14, 1985

Top 5? Tough question, very hard to narrow down. In no particular order I'd say....

1) The above mentioned one simply because it was my first.
2) Death Angel, Oakland, CA @ The Omni. June 9, 1990. Front row, on the rail. Very brutal/intense show. Band really fed off the crowd.
3) Black Sabbath, Auburn Hills, Michigan @ The Palace. February 14, 1990. This was the reunion tour. Incredible show.
4) Judas Priest, San Francisco, CA. @ The Cow Palace. October 8, 1988. First time seeing one of my all time favorite bands.
5) Volbeat, Detroit, Michigan. @ The Masonic Temple. August 12, 2016. Amazing band... rapidly becoming an all time favorite.

Probably been to over 200 more....so many great ones too. Metallica, Motley Crue, Slayer, Iron Maiden, Dio, The Who, Ratt, Tom Petty, Anthrax, Trans Siberian Orchestra.....etc....the list goes on....
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
4/26/2018 8:19am
First concert was Rod Stewart & Faces. Have been to see Jimmy Buffet multiple times, ZZ Top & Tom Petty, (was supposed to be Joe Cocker but Joe couldn't make it, ZZ Top was a welcome surprise they were awesome) Slightly Stoopid a couple times, Great shows. Zac Brown Band twice, George Strait, Van Morrison, Bob Weir solo acoustic, and the Grateful Dead more times than I should probably admit. Also went to the "US Festival" (Dust Festival) for 3 days back whenever that was, there were a lot of bands there. We have tickets to see the Eagles, the Doobie Brothers, and Zac Brown at Petco park in September, looking forward to that.
Also have seen George Thoroughgood, Joe Jackson, the stones and the Gogo's (don't ask)

Shows I'll go see again any chance I get

1. Zac Brown, great shows. Hands down favorite band right now
2. George Strait
3. Slightly Stoopid
4. The Rolling Stones
5. Jimmy Buffett. Although the Parrot head yuppies are a little hard to take at times. They're like Deadheads with money Laughing

Biggest disappointments
1st. Place loser show, Joe Jackson hands down. The crowd was yelling for Beat Crazy and he got pissed and said "This band doesn't even know that song" guess we saw him after he got old and burned out.
2nd. place loser. Van Morrison, I like probably 35-40 Van Morrison songs, he didn't play one of them, just a lot of new mellow shit that no on had heard before.
3rd worse, Bob Weir solo acoustic, after seeing so many great dead shows I guess I had my hopes too high.
The Grateful Dead come in first and last place, some of the shows were unbelievably good, some of the shows we walked away saying what the fuck was that about haha. Fun thing about them was you could see them 3 nights in a row and they'd never play the same song twice. The "Make it up as they went" part was kind of the most fun, you never knew what you were going to get lol.
GD2
Fantasy
815th
4/26/2018 9:45am
I just recently started to go to concerts. First one was The Weeknd last year. Going to Dave Matthews in May.
71Fish
4/27/2018 9:20pm
dmc22tx wrote:
JAFO92 wrote:
Yessir, that was the show. The stage was HUGE and Mick ran from one end to the other like a man possessed. The acoustics sucked but...
You're in mpls? I saw the Monsters of Rock at the dome in 88, Scorpions, Dokken, Metallica, and VH. One other band I can't remember. You're right about the sound, not so good.

I got to see Kirby Puckett hit s homerun though. The accoustics were pretty good then.
omalley
4/27/2018 10:18pm Edited Date/Time 4/27/2018 10:23pm
First: Motley Crue/Scorpions The Gorge, WA 1997-ish

Best:
1) Metallica Worldwired Seattle 2017
2) Motley Crue Final Tour Auburn, WA 2015-ish (first leg of final tour)
3) AC/DC Black Ice Tacoma, WA
4) ZZ Top Moore Theater Seattle (a few years ago)
5) Scorpions/Queensryche Kent, WA

I still kick myself for the AC/DC tickets...I sat in front my of my computer for 10 minutes before they went on sale, repeatedly hitting refresh. I hit it perfect, getting tickets in the third row right next to the “T” in the stage. However, I fat-fingered the bot code and got kicked out. By the time I got back in I was 15 rows up in the side seating...
4/28/2018 7:52am
First concert was seeing Skeletonwitch open up for 3 Inches Of Blood in Columbus Ohio.
Top 5 concerts
1 - 3 Inches Of Blood. Seen these guys 3 times! (all time favorite band)
2 - SepticFlesh
3 - Skeletonwitch
4 - Carrie Underwood (went with my wife, plus Carrie is a total babe!)
5 - Taylor Swift (again went with my wife and Taytay is good on the eyes too)

I’ve seen a few different metal bands like Devil Driver, Goat Whore, Dark Funeral, and metal like that. Next month going to see Saytricon so I’m pretty pumped on that. Last concert I was at was SepticFlesh and they were phenomenal live
Pieter
4/29/2018 4:10pm Edited Date/Time 4/29/2018 4:11pm
1st. 1981 Rush- Moving Pictures

Top 5:

1. 1982 Judas Priest and Iron Maiden
2. 1981 AC/DC Back in Black tour
3.1984 Motorhead, Mercyful Fate and Exciter
4. 1995 Page and Plant tour
5. 1981 Black Sabbath Mob rules tour
6. 1986 Ozzy and Metallica

Post a reply to: Concerts

The Latest