College Football Traditions

JRT812
Edited Date/Time 9/13/2017 5:41am
Fellas, we made it to another year. With the usual overwhelming hype the dawgs get only to be let down each year, what are your yearly traditions? For me, I enjoy tailgating with a win or loss. Can't get any better than times with friends
|
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
8/27/2017 6:39pm Edited Date/Time 8/27/2017 6:51pm
We used to get an RV (with coeds) and run a football from Norman to Dallas for donations for a charity. It was called the "Run to Dallas", for the OU/texas game.

Once there, lots of debauchery happened on Commerce St., West End, and Deep Ellum. Speaking for a friend. I took in local church services.

APLMAN99
8/27/2017 7:31pm
kzizok wrote:
We used to get an RV (with coeds) and run a football from Norman to Dallas for donations for a charity. It was called the "Run...
We used to get an RV (with coeds) and run a football from Norman to Dallas for donations for a charity. It was called the "Run to Dallas", for the OU/texas game.

Once there, lots of debauchery happened on Commerce St., West End, and Deep Ellum. Speaking for a friend. I took in local church services.

During Apple Cup week (WSU vs UW), the Kappa Sigma houses run a football across the state from Seattle to Pullman or vice versa. It's about 300 miles, and it's late November so running over the mountain passes is a real bitch!

WSU has a pretty cool string of having the Cougar flag displayed on College Game Day, too.....

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2015-10-21/wazzup-wazzu-flag-…

ZM956
8/28/2017 8:47am
JRT812 wrote:
Fellas, we made it to another year. With the usual overwhelming hype the dawgs get only to be let down each year, what are your yearly...
Fellas, we made it to another year. With the usual overwhelming hype the dawgs get only to be let down each year, what are your yearly traditions? For me, I enjoy tailgating with a win or loss. Can't get any better than times with friends
I got a fellow dawg fan on here? Hell yeah!! I agree its hard to deal with the hype, App state has me some kind of nervous. They could lose to App State and beat the brakes of Notre Dame, but damn I love them Dawgs.
JRT812
8/28/2017 11:21am
JRT812 wrote:
Fellas, we made it to another year. With the usual overwhelming hype the dawgs get only to be let down each year, what are your yearly...
ZM956 wrote:
I got a fellow dawg fan on here? Hell yeah!! I agree its hard to deal with the hype, App state has me some kind of...
I got a fellow dawg fan on here? Hell yeah!! I agree its hard to deal with the hype, App state has me some kind of nervous. They could lose to App State and beat the brakes of Notre Dame, but damn I love them Dawgs.
My family is from Dacula, GA, but I have been a dawg fan living in TN my whole life. I am feeling good about App state, but there is always a let down game (or two) every year. I so want to attend the ND game! At 1,500 a ticket... I'm just going to stay home haha.

The Shop

ZM956
8/28/2017 12:03pm
JRT812 wrote:
My family is from Dacula, GA, but I have been a dawg fan living in TN my whole life. I am feeling good about App state...
My family is from Dacula, GA, but I have been a dawg fan living in TN my whole life. I am feeling good about App state, but there is always a let down game (or two) every year. I so want to attend the ND game! At 1,500 a ticket... I'm just going to stay home haha.
Awesome! Yeah my little brother said the student tickets for that game are even outrageous. Oh well it's game week!
8/28/2017 2:09pm Edited Date/Time 8/28/2017 2:12pm
My Alum, South Florida starting off the year ranked 19 and rolled over our "highschool" opponent in week 1 saturday. Charlie Strong bringing us back into the national limelight this year and our QB, Quinton Flowers, looking to be a heisman hopeful again. The man rushed for over 1000, passed for close to 3000 and lead our offense to the most TDs in school history. Second greatest sport to moto is college football. Tailgating is not tradition, its religion lol. Bring on the season!!!
JRT812
8/29/2017 5:30am
JRT812 wrote:
My family is from Dacula, GA, but I have been a dawg fan living in TN my whole life. I am feeling good about App state...
ZM956 wrote:
Awesome! Yeah my little brother said the student tickets for that game are even outrageous. Oh well it's game week!
The work week can't get over fast enough. Plus, we have Monday off which will only make the weekend better!
8/29/2017 7:42am
Bama fan here. I'll wait on the puns. lol. I actually reside and work in the city of Auburn so I am use to it. I did however grow up on the AL/GA line and have a soft spot for the Dawgs every Saturday they don't clash with Alabama.

As far as traditions go, there's nothing better than beating the Vols on the 3rd Saturday in October and paying a little too much for a Victory Cigar.

General Lee bro, Here's a pretty sweet short story for you. I think it was back in 06' or 07' season and I was only 15 but remember this day vividly. We were up skateboarding on the Auburn University Campus and a guy handed us free tickets to the Auburn Vs USF game. I had no dog in the fight but decided to check it out anyways. If I am not mistaken the Bulls won on a last second field goal and knocked Auburn out of the top 25. South Florida I believe progressed to 8-0 and a ranking as high as 2nd in the AP Polls that season. I'd be lying if i said I didn't throw up a Bulls hand gesture that day.

I will be down at the MXGP this weekend enjoying the UA Vs. FSU game. Ideal weekend would be an American sweep of the podium and a statement win over FSU. We will see how that plays out. Cheers fellas!

JRT812
8/29/2017 8:16am
Bama fan here. I'll wait on the puns. lol. I actually reside and work in the city of Auburn so I am use to it. I...
Bama fan here. I'll wait on the puns. lol. I actually reside and work in the city of Auburn so I am use to it. I did however grow up on the AL/GA line and have a soft spot for the Dawgs every Saturday they don't clash with Alabama.

As far as traditions go, there's nothing better than beating the Vols on the 3rd Saturday in October and paying a little too much for a Victory Cigar.

General Lee bro, Here's a pretty sweet short story for you. I think it was back in 06' or 07' season and I was only 15 but remember this day vividly. We were up skateboarding on the Auburn University Campus and a guy handed us free tickets to the Auburn Vs USF game. I had no dog in the fight but decided to check it out anyways. If I am not mistaken the Bulls won on a last second field goal and knocked Auburn out of the top 25. South Florida I believe progressed to 8-0 and a ranking as high as 2nd in the AP Polls that season. I'd be lying if i said I didn't throw up a Bulls hand gesture that day.

I will be down at the MXGP this weekend enjoying the UA Vs. FSU game. Ideal weekend would be an American sweep of the podium and a statement win over FSU. We will see how that plays out. Cheers fellas!

Pulling for UA, but I can also see FSU winning. Got to respect both teams for playing each other as the opening game.
ZM956
8/29/2017 9:54am
Bama fan here. I'll wait on the puns. lol. I actually reside and work in the city of Auburn so I am use to it. I...

I gotta admit, the victory cigar for Tennessee is badass. Love seeing them guys in the locker room taking one down with coach Saban. I hope yall can take FSU down!
8/29/2017 9:57am

remember that day vividly, it was 2007, we had wins over #17 Auburn (last second FG in OT) and then #5 WVU, beat our rival UCF to be ranked #2 then lost the following week to a garbage Rutgers team and eventually slid to #21 to finish season. Since then its been a rebuilding process after losing our original and only head coach that year due to some locker room politics. Ol Charlie tho is a proven winner and looks to have our team back on the up after losing our head coach last year, Willie Taggart, to take over the top spot at Oregon.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
8/29/2017 1:05pm
I like to infiltrate Harvard football games disguised as one of them, then hand out the spirit placards for all the fans. That way they get their message across.

APLMAN99
8/29/2017 9:15pm
Another just absolutely fantastic tradition that we have at Wazzu is that since Mike Leach has become coach we just refuse to win that opening game of the season. Every opener since he's been here, all 5 years. We hate winning that opener so badly, that the past 2 seasons we lost the openers to FCS teams, Portland State (2015) and Eastern Washington (2016)......
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
8/29/2017 9:24pm Edited Date/Time 8/29/2017 9:25pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
Another just absolutely fantastic tradition that we have at Wazzu is that since Mike Leach has become coach we just refuse to win that opening game...
Another just absolutely fantastic tradition that we have at Wazzu is that since Mike Leach has become coach we just refuse to win that opening game of the season. Every opener since he's been here, all 5 years. We hate winning that opener so badly, that the past 2 seasons we lost the openers to FCS teams, Portland State (2015) and Eastern Washington (2016)......
Its the curse of the Black Pearl. Leach sold his soul to pirates. He is obsessed with them, seriously.

He's an odd dude. His law degree from Pepperdine adds to it.
MohMoto14
9/13/2017 5:41am
APLMAN99 wrote:
Another just absolutely fantastic tradition that we have at Wazzu is that since Mike Leach has become coach we just refuse to win that opening game...
kzizok wrote:
Its the curse of the Black Pearl. Leach sold his soul to pirates. He is obsessed with them, seriously. He's an odd dude. His law degree...
Its the curse of the Black Pearl. Leach sold his soul to pirates. He is obsessed with them, seriously.

He's an odd dude. His law degree from Pepperdine adds to it.
That's really surprising man but it looks like he's got you all heading in the right direction. Loved watching Texas tech when he was there and I've had my eye on your team since Leach was hired. Previous coach was 9-40 and Leach has been on the edge of a 10 win season last few years. I'm from Ohio and wouldn't trade urban for anything but if I had to, I wouldn't be disappointed with Leach. He made me a cougar fan! Ha ha

2-0 got that win no problem this year

Post a reply to: College Football Traditions

The Latest