Collecting, kinda, CB750s.

Related:
Create New Tag

6/17/2019 5:08 PM


1979 to maybe 1982, were the first years Honda went to double overhead cam motors.

Many find the older single overhead cam models more desirable. The cafe guys say the 69 to 78 motors just look better. A lot of guys owned them in their youth, enough said.

I don't give a crap. I've had 4 or 5 sohc 750s. So what, the dohc looks like a washing machine motor.
Head to head, performance wise, no contest.
The Dohc screams.

Those years, 79 to 82, they made 3 models.
K models are the basic, standard bike, C models are kinda chopper style. F models are the SuperSports.

I've had my 79 SS for quite awhile, and love it.

Photo

Well, I ran across an 80 over the winter. A K model. Blue, 9k on the clock. All oem.
Looks just like this one. Just paid it off, gonna pick it up this week.

Photo

Lastly, I'm working on a C model from a guy on Craigslist. A low hours bike, all oem.

Photo

Problem is, it's all in pieces. This is what it looked like before he tore it down, Like many, he was gonna cafe it. But, like many, can tear them down but are clueless on putting them back together.
He's wanting a lot for a bike in pieces. I know what can happen when you try and build a basket case.
Hopefully, we will have a meeting of the minds,

I get that C model, that's all 3 models of that era.

Anyone else collecting?


|

6/17/2019 6:25 PM

No, but I would love to have my 1980 750C back again. Looked just like your middle pic.

|

HAF

6/17/2019 7:07 PM

I used to have a 1981 900F. Dam I miss that bike. But the one I miss the most is the 1983 GS1100E. Amazing machines.

|

Many thanks to everyone helping me out this GNCC season: SRT Offroad, Acerbis, FCR Suspension, O'Neal Racing, Evans Waterless Coolants, Rekluse, Twin Air, Braking Brakes, Carbsport

Profile image credit Ken Hill Photography

6/18/2019 6:30 AM

Cool bikes!
Here’s a few pics of my old ‘82 CB750SC

Photo
Photo
Photo

|

6/18/2019 6:53 AM

Boy I could go on all day about how much I love the entire CB line. To be fair, I am a Honda fanboy so I'm definitely a little biased. I've been messing with dirtbikes my whole life but I just cut my teeth on a '73 750K a few years ago and have been hooked ever since.


Purchased as an ex-backyard chopper. Super basic budget build to get a feel for it

Photo

Dubbed "Godzilla" - Japanese monster that destroyed everything like when the CBs were introduced

Photo


I flipped the SOHC and built a few dirbikes, but it wasn't long until the itch came back (not that one). Enter '79 750F SuperSport. It looks like a good example of a bike you shouldn't cut up, but it had plenty of flaws that put a full blown restoration out of the question for me.

Photo

Where she sits now. GSXR front conversion, custom monoshock setup with CBR600F3 swingarm and shock. I'm doing all the work myself so it's taking some time but definitely worth it. Hoping to be screaming through farm country in a few more weeks.

Photo

|

"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils, and lunatics"  George Fitch, 1916

6/18/2019 8:05 AM

Honda man66. That SC looked sweet. The rear seat, the way it kinda blends in. Was that stock or something you did?


I dunno Jordan, that 79 imo was a survivor.
But hey, you seem to be killing it with the, I dunno, cafe thing?
Cafe might be the wrong word. Those guys can be so, I dunno, uptight with what a cafe is or is not.
A sport custom?
I know I'd love to have that tank.
What are you doing with the rest of the stuff? Side panels, wheels, front end?

|

6/18/2019 8:31 AM

motogrady wrote:

Honda man66. That SC looked sweet. The rear seat, the way it kinda blends in. Was that stock or something you did?


I dunno Jordan, that 79 imo was a survivor.
But hey, you seem to be killing it with the, I dunno, cafe thing?
Cafe might be the wrong word. Those guys can be so, I dunno, uptight with what a cafe is or is not.
A sport custom?
I know I'd love to have that tank.
What are you doing with the rest of the stuff? Side panels, wheels, front end?

Yea, it was hard but I'm not sentimental or patient enough to restore this one and hang on to it until I can make my money back. It did look decent, but needed some work, and real restorations for these bikes are just so expensive and time consuming.

It has definitely ruffled some feathers of the purists out there, which I totally understand. I stopped trying to fit it into a category a long time ago.

Everything other than the tank and engine has been sold or is currently up for sale. Lots of good spare parts that I have no personal attachment to. Let me know if you're looking for anything in particular

|

"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils, and lunatics"  George Fitch, 1916

6/18/2019 8:34 AM

Ive got a pair of 76 F models in the barn. One ran and rode when I put it there, the other is pretty rough. Keep telling myself that Ill get around to fixing them up when the kids get older, maybe even a pair of father son projects that they can keep when were done. A lot of my friends had them when we were growing up so I know how bullet proof they are. Incidentally these are the "featured bike" during vintage days this year! Hoping to see a lot of really cool specimens.

|

6/18/2019 10:17 AM

motogrady wrote:

Honda man66. That SC looked sweet. The rear seat, the way it kinda blends in. Was that stock or something you did?


I dunno Jordan, that 79 imo was a survivor.
But hey, you seem to be killing it with the, I dunno, cafe thing?
Cafe might be the wrong word. Those guys can be so, I dunno, uptight with what a cafe is or is not.
A sport custom?
I know I'd love to have that tank.
What are you doing with the rest of the stuff? Side panels, wheels, front end?

That bike was all original, including the tires. I did swap out the buckhorn bars for some old school flat track bars. I bought it non-running, but in the condition you see in the pics. Had to clean the carbs, put a liner in the tank, and a new ignition from Ricky Stator. All of the CB750’s are great bikes. I prefer any model with the 4 into 4 exhaust. Nothing sounds better!

|

6/18/2019 10:52 AM

Anybody know were to get a CB tank and other body parts?

|

I have the right to remain awesome.

6/18/2019 11:14 AM


Hey Hoseclamp.

Photo

To me, that's the classic Honda 750.

And Jordan that's right. Nobody paying your bill but you.
Would I have liked to see that F model brought back sure.
But, it only makes mine more valuable, and hey life moves on.
I'd really like to see you keep us updated on that project.
Not a lot of guys out there actually doing it.

Honda man 66 the carbs thing, seems that and the electrics are the big issues with theses.
That is one good looking bike I tell ya.
As far as the pipes, 4in4, big dollars to replace. I just priced a set of 4x2 for a c model, 400.
Looking at that, effing pipes could cost as much as a bike.

And Moto Smith, VintageHonda750.com I think it is has a good bit of stuff.
But really, for that tank, I'd look eBay.

Don't forget us Jordan. Keep them pics a comin if u cansmile
|

6/18/2019 11:24 AM

Will do. Hope to have everything painted and put back together this week. I've been keeping a little log on DoTheTon if anyone needs some bathroom reading laughing

|

"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils, and lunatics"  George Fitch, 1916

6/19/2019 11:27 PM

motogrady wrote:
1979 to maybe 1982, were the first years Honda went to double overhead cam motors.

Many find the older single overhead cam models more desirable. The cafe guys say the 69 to 78 motors just look better. A lot of guys owned them in their youth, enough said.

I don't give a crap. I've had 4 or 5 sohc 750s. So what, the dohc looks like a washing machine motor.
Head to head, performance wise, no contest.
The Dohc screams.

Those years, 79 to 82, they made 3 models.
K models are the basic, standard bike, C models are kinda chopper style. F models are the SuperSports.

I've had my 79 SS for quite awhile, and love it.

Photo

Well, I ran across an 80 over the winter. A K model. Blue, 9k on the clock. All oem.
Looks just like this one. Just paid it off, gonna pick it up this week.

Photo

Lastly, I'm working on a C model from a guy on Craigslist. A low hours bike, all oem.

Photo

Problem is, it's all in pieces. This is what it looked like before he tore it down, Like many, he was gonna cafe it. But, like many, can tear them down but are clueless on putting them back together.
He's wanting a lot for a bike in pieces. I know what can happen when you try and build a basket case.
Hopefully, we will have a meeting of the minds,

I get that C model, that's all 3 models of that era.

Anyone else collecting?


Very cool I like that 79 SS the best though, that's great you still have it. w00t
Wish I had my 1980 KZ 750.

That bike opened up the street bike world to me.

|

6/20/2019 3:53 AM

G-man wrote:

Very cool I like that 79 SS the best though, that's great you still have it. w00t
Wish I had my 1980 KZ 750.

That bike opened up the street bike world to me.


Ya, it's a cool feeling to jump on a bike on a sunny morning, with nobody, including yourself, having a clue where it will take you,

The 81 red on black was a pretty good looking paint scheme also. I've never seen one in person.

Photo

The orange in the 79s, ha, has caused a few moments. More than once ive had a die hard Harley guy walk up, "Hey Bro! Nice looking............bike." Nice until they realize it's a Hondalaughing

Here's the last year sohc. The 78.
You can see, the end of that era.
Notice the boat tail rear fender. That was a kind of Harley thing for a few years.
Last year for kick start.
The what some say clean looking lines of the sohc engine.
Another rare one.

Photo
|

6/24/2019 4:14 AM

I saw someone on FB here locally looking to get rid of a CB900C here a month or so ago.

Said it needed some carb tuning, but otherwise it looked cherry and just like my old 750. He was only talking like $800.

I was some tempted, but pretty sure wifey wasn't quite so enamored with the idea.

|

HAF

6/24/2019 4:54 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/24/2019 4:57 AM

Hey dp450 thanks for thinking about me but maybe we just let that one sit for awhile.

Ns503 yes they made a 900 for a bit. Everything pretty much the same just bigger jugs and Pistons.
Replaced a seat cover on my SS awhile back, had to get it from a place in the UK. Had cb900 stickers all over it, but fit like a glove.
800 imo, in good shape without a zillion miles on it is a good price. General rule with these bikes, if you can get it for a dollar per cc, in good shape, good deal.

The 900. They made a 900 with an overdrive, secondary transmission also. Aimed at touring, they are monsters. Really rare, from what I hear they are hot out west. Apparently, there's a group of guys outfitting them with a bunch of bling, extra running lights and crazy stuff. They are gearing them really tall, and on the weekends go from town to town at night, Christmas trees going down the highway, at 2am, doing 120.cheerful

|

6/24/2019 5:03 AM

Photo
Here ya go guys. Notice the second transmission behind the engine. I don't know if it gives you 5 more gears, or just a a taller set of five.

I passed on one awhile back, in pieces it was just too much for me. Kinda regret it now......
|

6/24/2019 7:07 AM

Hey Jordan, what rear shocks were you running on Godazilla? we picked this one up a couple years ago. it was pretty much as it looks now but had a few minor things that I had to clean up. also put some better rear shocks on it and had to rebuild the forks. the rears I put on are to stiff and I'd like something a little smoother. needs a little more tlc but's it's fun to cruise around on.
Photo

|

6/24/2019 8:07 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/24/2019 8:07 AM

Good lookin bike! I used these from Dime City Cycles. You give them your make/model and they "build" the shocks per spec. I'm sure it's just different spring rates, but I was pretty happy with them for basic street riding. The bottom clevis is adjustable so they can be dialed in pretty well too

|

"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils, and lunatics"  George Fitch, 1916

6/24/2019 9:38 AM

motogrady wrote: Photo
Here ya go guys. Notice the second transmission behind the engine. I don't know if it gives you 5 more gears, or just a a taller set of five.

I passed on one awhile back, in pieces it was just too much for me. Kinda regret it now......

I'm starting to regret also now. Damn the wifey full speed ahead? w00t

I am pretty sure he said it had the extra gearbox. I usually don't shy away from carb work - but have never had anything to do with tuning 4 of them, in synch. That was one of the other things that kind of turned me off a bit.

Hmm, maybe I should go try to look him up & see if he still has it... whistling

|

HAF

6/24/2019 5:04 PM

ns503 wrote:

I'm starting to regret also now. Damn the wifey full speed ahead? w00t

I am pretty sure he said it had the extra gearbox. I usually don't shy away from carb work - but have never had anything to do with tuning 4 of them, in synch. That was one of the other things that kind of turned me off a bit.

Hmm, maybe I should go try to look him up & see if he still has it... whistling

I dunno guy.

The carbs, yeah. I had to clean and go over mine 4 times to get them right. Real small passageways that clog up if you don't drain and run it dry before winter.
Plus, stock carbs are CV carbs. The throttle cable doesn't pull the slide up. It opens the butterflies that
create vacuum on diaphragms that life the slides.
You adjust them with a manometer, or some guys go off an infrared thermometer gun. You check the temp of the 4 headers, adjust till all about the same. Lowes or Home Depot have them for 50 bucks.

800, good price if all there.

You'd have something different, that's for sure.
Good luck with whatever you decide guy.

|

7/15/2019 7:18 AM

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
|

7/15/2019 7:55 AM

Well guys I got my work cut out for me on this one.
Rust in the tank. Front caliper locked solid. Bike needs total tear down really.

Hey, it's all there, 6,000 miles on the motor, clean title, keys work..........here we go!smile

|

9/16/2019 8:54 AM

I finally got this one wrapped up (minus a couple cables). CR carbs, Dyna electronic ignition, and a whole lot more rubber and brakes compared to 1979.

El Jefe:

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo



|

"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils, and lunatics"  George Fitch, 1916

9/16/2019 12:51 PM

Jordan Dogtown wrote:

I finally got this one wrapped up (minus a couple cables). CR carbs, Dyna electronic ignition, and a whole lot more rubber and brakes compared to 1979.

El Jefe:

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo




Radical for sure guy.

Tell me about the carbs. Did you just buy them online?

I've been so busy pushing freon this summer the only thing I got done this summer on my 81 is yanking that stupid sissy bar off and getting everything bolted on right.

|

9/16/2019 12:57 PM

Hopeing to grab a battery this week, throw a gallon of fuel in it and maybe get it to the car wash down the street. Clean it up and start picking off the issues.........



Photo
Photo

|

9/17/2019 5:51 AM

motogrady wrote:
Radical for sure guy.

Tell me about the carbs. Did you just buy them online?

I've been so busy pushing freon this summer the only thing I got done this summer on my 81 is yanking that stupid sissy bar off and getting everything bolted on right.

Thanks. I got them from Dynoman. They buy them directly from Keihin Japan and then jet them based on your specs. I got the carbs, two sets of jets, carb boot adapters, and the plastic velocity stacks for $1200. That was about the cheapest I could find them new anywhere.

Thankfully I was able to sell almost all the takeoff parts or else they never would have been an option. Tons of performance, and lightyears easier to use/work on than the original CV carbs

|

"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils, and lunatics"  George Fitch, 1916

9/22/2019 6:22 PM

An interesting CB I saw recently, young kid riding it. Photo

|

9/23/2019 11:16 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/23/2019 11:18 AM

Jim in VA wrote:

An interesting CB I saw recently, young kid riding it. Photo

Ya pretty cool imo.
The anti biker, ah, biker.

Coolest thing is he's doing it in his vision.

Those tires, wtf....? Who knows, he might like the gravel backroads. He might run from the cops pretty regular, they look like they would work in the grass lol. Better than slicks that's for sure.
That's a K model, like my blue one. Single disc up front, K model tank. Looks like he just took a hacksaw to the rear frame when he got rid of the fenders. Which makes that bike pretty messy on the rider in the wet, but gives it that rat bike, custom cafe whatever look.

If you look closely, the guys knows what's up. He's even got pods on those stock CV carbs. Almost everyone that knows that era of 750s, 79 to 82 will tell you you must use the stock airbox with those carbs. Those carbs rely on the vacuum in the box to lift the slides. The throttle cables go to the butterflies, which open, which let the vacuum the pistons are pulling, reach back into the airboc, which then lift these diaphrams, which then lift the slides and needles.
It's crazy.
You get rid of the airbox, you get rid of the vacuum.

That's why I asked Jordan about the carbs on his bike. No airbox gives a much more lean look. He just swapped out the stock carbs for conventional carbs and went with pods and no airbox.
How this guy got that bike to run on pods with stock CVs is a mystery to me. Pretty rare for sure.

That bike right there, a hacksaw, 2 cans of flat black spray paint, a set of sport or clip on handlebars, poof, you have a
whatever bike.

I work around West Virginia University a lot, there are maybe 3 or 4 students there that have rides like that.
2 of them are on stock 600 ninjas or whatever.
The other 2 guys, chopped up customs like the one above.
Apparently, that's what's in. Nobody is on a Harley.

To top it off, the license tag is inside out so you can't read it, sneakers, and a set of gloves from The Dollar Store.

I love it.

|