Chinese Les Paul copies

indy_maico
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 6:03am
|
davis224
Fantasy
165th
11/14/2010 5:42pm
I like how they say "made in USA" on the back of the headstock, but the guy says made in china.
TerryK
11/14/2010 5:53pm
At least he tells you it's made in China! lol

The Shop

TMV
11/15/2010 2:40am
motogeezer wrote:
Gib-Sun.

Guaranteed to not stay in tune.

Well I'm the proud owner of a black Les Paul Custom, and as beautiful as it is and sounds, Nessie (that's its name, like the Loch-Ness monster Wink ) doesn't stay in tune (G string). It's a well known problem on the Les Paul because of the shape of its neck.
borg
11/15/2010 6:32am
motogeezer wrote:
Gib-Sun.

Guaranteed to not stay in tune.

TMV wrote:
Well I'm the proud owner of a black Les Paul Custom, and as beautiful as it is and sounds, Nessie (that's its name, like the Loch-Ness...
Well I'm the proud owner of a black Les Paul Custom, and as beautiful as it is and sounds, Nessie (that's its name, like the Loch-Ness monster Wink ) doesn't stay in tune (G string). It's a well known problem on the Les Paul because of the shape of its neck.
I have one too. Same problem. My Strat with the wammy bar stays in tune better.
SEEMEFIRST
11/15/2010 4:32pm
Damn, if the photo is what their selling I can't see how a major law suit won't be coming soon.
Nerd
11/15/2010 4:57pm
I had a .57 Re-Issue Les Paul Custom Black Beauty. I sold it because it was a POS. Still made almost $500 on it after playing it for 3 years.
kdx man
11/15/2010 9:52pm
There isnt much reason in buying a re-issue Gibson Custom jobber unless you play it first. I'm not sure what the fuck is going on with the Gibson folks, but their quality has been shit for a while now - and they are charging an arm and a leg. I've played some beautiful Les Pauls from all years, and I've played my fair share of shite.

I've got a '72 Standard and it is tits. Thing just plays and sounds great. Odd, because those years arent exactly known to be great years for Pauls, but I guess I just got a good one.

Those new Standards are junk. Chambered body? Get fucked. Les Paul is supposed to be a heavy beast of a guitar with a giant chunk of mahogany. Not two pieces glued together with router holes all throughout it...

Nerd
11/15/2010 9:55pm
kdx man wrote:
There isnt much reason in buying a re-issue Gibson Custom jobber unless you play it first. I'm not sure what the fuck is going on with...
There isnt much reason in buying a re-issue Gibson Custom jobber unless you play it first. I'm not sure what the fuck is going on with the Gibson folks, but their quality has been shit for a while now - and they are charging an arm and a leg. I've played some beautiful Les Pauls from all years, and I've played my fair share of shite.

I've got a '72 Standard and it is tits. Thing just plays and sounds great. Odd, because those years arent exactly known to be great years for Pauls, but I guess I just got a good one.

Those new Standards are junk. Chambered body? Get fucked. Les Paul is supposed to be a heavy beast of a guitar with a giant chunk of mahogany. Not two pieces glued together with router holes all throughout it...

My Firebird is bad-ass. Great guitar.

But the other day, I went and played a J-185 EC at Sam Ash. BEAUTIFUL guitar. Sounded like absolute shit. No volume. No bass. No treble. The worst-sounding acoustic guitar that I think I've ever heard. And for only $3250!

Then I played a Taylor 814CE and fell in love. It's not cheap, either, but it's cheaper than the friggin' Gibson!

I was astounded at how horrible it sounded, and when I pointed it out to the salesman, he strummed it himself, then looked down at the guitar like, "What the fuck?"

It was a piece of art, as long as you hang it on the wall and never play it.
kdx man
11/16/2010 12:33am
Yeah man. I rented some acoustics for a session a while back and just had gibson send me whatever they had out at their rental place in NYC. One of the models was the Pete Townsend Signature J-200 or whatever the model is.

Complete piece of shit. Sounded like complete garbage - almost like a cardboard box with strings on it.

On the other hand, I've played some really nice J-45s that were fantastic.

I'm not a fan of the Taylor sound and would never purchase one myself. Way too bright. I am really fond of the Breedlove guitars though. Check them out when you get a chance. They have a series that are basically Martin ripoffs - and they sound the way a Martin should sound.

http://breedlovemusic.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&id=…
Nerd
11/16/2010 12:43am
kdx man wrote:
Yeah man. I rented some acoustics for a session a while back and just had gibson send me whatever they had out at their rental place...
Yeah man. I rented some acoustics for a session a while back and just had gibson send me whatever they had out at their rental place in NYC. One of the models was the Pete Townsend Signature J-200 or whatever the model is.

Complete piece of shit. Sounded like complete garbage - almost like a cardboard box with strings on it.

On the other hand, I've played some really nice J-45s that were fantastic.

I'm not a fan of the Taylor sound and would never purchase one myself. Way too bright. I am really fond of the Breedlove guitars though. Check them out when you get a chance. They have a series that are basically Martin ripoffs - and they sound the way a Martin should sound.

http://breedlovemusic.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&id=…
I had a Breedlove back when they had the funny-shaped head and weird cutaway. It was great. But I don't remember it playing anything like the Taylor I played. With the rosewood back and sides, the Taylors aren't that bright. The 814CE was downright boomy.

Great guitar. I played slide on it, too. Awesome stuff.

I just can't believe how big of a piece of shit that $3250 Gibson was. Holy crap did it suck balls.
Nerd
11/16/2010 8:27am
That looks like an incredible piece of shit.

What happened to Gibson? I love my Firebird, now that I've changed to Steinberger tuners, added a Bigsby and roller bridge, and had it professionally set up...

But Gibson really, truly sucks now!
Nerd
11/16/2010 10:19am
Rocket88 wrote:
And it's only $5,500! WoohooLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing
It literally looks like a toy - like you'd play Rock Band or Guitar Hero with it.
Rocket88
11/16/2010 10:26am
I wonder how long it will take to see copies of it up on that Chinese Guitar website. I bet it still won't sell for $200!

Nerd
11/16/2010 10:33am
I can't imagine what the Chinese could do to make it worse...
davis224
Fantasy
165th
11/17/2010 6:35am
That is pretty disgusting looking. I'd like to have a regular firebird though. I've got an 08 Les Paul studio, with the fireburst finish and love it. Other les pauls I've played and really liked were the Slash replica guitar, and a 98 standard. I don't know anything about when the good years were or when they started chambering them (but i think the 98 was before they chambered it?), but that 98 kicked some serious ass.

Post a reply to: Chinese Les Paul copies

The Latest