Chicago day trip (psssst, hey S. Loyer)

TailSoHard
4/12/2016 9:41am Edited Date/Time 4/20/2016 5:55am
Going to Chicago for the first time on Saturday morning, coming home Sunday afternoon. For any of you who've been there before, what should I do/see/experience? I don't care about museums or art galleries or shopping... But I do want to hit some local cheap food spots, maybe a cool bar with decent music, and potentially go to a Cubs game. I don't have a ton of time, but I would like some advice on what to do with the couple hours I'll have.

So far the only spot I've got on the itinerary is the Billy Goat Tavern and a concert Saturday night.

Oh, and S.Loyer - You'll be jealous. I'm going to the sold-out Local H show at the Metro EvilWoohoo 20th anniversary of As Good As Dead! I'm so f-ing excited! You're the only one here I know who likes Local H as much as I do and I just had to tell someone lol
|
dsmith
Fantasy
1294th
4/12/2016 11:32am
maybe the aquarium or green mill......I have been to both...pretty cool.
green mill was where al capone always went, maybe part owner or something ...the booth is still there I think where he always sat....
TailSoHard
4/12/2016 12:20pm
dsmith wrote:
maybe the aquarium or green mill......I have been to both...pretty cool. green mill was where al capone always went, maybe part owner or something ...the booth...
maybe the aquarium or green mill......I have been to both...pretty cool.
green mill was where al capone always went, maybe part owner or something ...the booth is still there I think where he always sat....
Cool, I'll have to check the Green Mill out, I always love a good jazz lounge, so that sounds like it's right up my alley!
APLMAN99
4/12/2016 11:24pm
Only been to Chicago a couple of times. I really enjoyed the Navy Pier, it was quite a bit different than I thought. If you are downtown in that area, it could be worthwhile.

Spent a couple of weeks up in Arlington Heights. Nothing spectacular there, but no matter what sort of ethnicity you can think of, you can find a market specializing in it every few blocks!
huck
4/13/2016 5:44am
There are several parks along the shoreline that typically have some type of music playing. You can start at the pier and work your way south, ending at the aquarium. Then when you're coming back, you can hit up Michigan avenue. Lot's of cool stuff there. Most are pricey, but still lots to see.

The Shop

TailSoHard
4/13/2016 7:14am
I'm staying right on Michigan Ave so I'm sure I'll get to see a lot of that. I would like to check out the Pier, but it depends on if I end up at a Cubs game or not...

It sounds corny, but I'm a huge Blues Brothers fan so I'd like to find stuff like the Cook County Assessor's Office, 1060 West Addison (Wrigley Field) and Lower Wacker Drive CoolCool
huck
4/13/2016 7:31am
Not sure where you're staying on Michigan, but if you walk south (assuming you're staying north of the river), you will go over the chicago river, and lower wacker will be right there. A little bit further south is Millennium Park. Millennium Park is the start of the 'parks'. Right in there you will also have Grant Park, which is where Buckingham Fountain is (married with children fountain). Also in the parks are the Museums and Shedd Aquarium.
dsmith
Fantasy
1294th
4/13/2016 7:42am Edited Date/Time 4/13/2016 7:44am
TailSoHard wrote:
I'm staying right on Michigan Ave so I'm sure I'll get to see a lot of that. I would like to check out the Pier, but...
I'm staying right on Michigan Ave so I'm sure I'll get to see a lot of that. I would like to check out the Pier, but it depends on if I end up at a Cubs game or not...

It sounds corny, but I'm a huge Blues Brothers fan so I'd like to find stuff like the Cook County Assessor's Office, 1060 West Addison (Wrigley Field) and Lower Wacker Drive CoolCool
TailSoHard
4/13/2016 7:51am
huck wrote:
Not sure where you're staying on Michigan, but if you walk south (assuming you're staying north of the river), you will go over the chicago river...
Not sure where you're staying on Michigan, but if you walk south (assuming you're staying north of the river), you will go over the chicago river, and lower wacker will be right there. A little bit further south is Millennium Park. Millennium Park is the start of the 'parks'. Right in there you will also have Grant Park, which is where Buckingham Fountain is (married with children fountain). Also in the parks are the Museums and Shedd Aquarium.
Yeah, I'm staying at the Millenium Knickerbocker (mostly cause of the name lol), north end of Michigan Ave.
dsmith
Fantasy
1294th
4/13/2016 7:56am
TailSoHard wrote:
Hahaha, I wish Bob's Country Bunker was in Chicago, I'd go there in a heartbeat! At the very least just to throw a beer bottle at...
Hahaha, I wish Bob's Country Bunker was in Chicago, I'd go there in a heartbeat! At the very least just to throw a beer bottle at the chicken wired stage lol
well you can still go and do pirouettes and flips at the triple rock...
AHRMA361
Fantasy
262nd
4/13/2016 7:59am
Go to Lou Mitchell's for breakfast.

Next time try and stay at the Swissotel on Wacker. Great views, easy walking distance to many things in Chi-Town.
TailSoHard
4/13/2016 8:49am
dsmith wrote:
well you can still go and do pirouettes and flips at the triple rock...
Hahaha, that's not a bad idea! Depending on how much sinning I do on Saturday night, I might need a little salvation lol
TailSoHard
4/13/2016 8:50am
AHRMA361 wrote:
Go to Lou Mitchell's for breakfast.

Next time try and stay at the Swissotel on Wacker. Great views, easy walking distance to many things in Chi-Town.
I'll check that out, my hotel doesn't include a breakfast ( BlinkPinch ) so that sounds pretty good to me
TailSoHard
4/13/2016 8:51am
The plan is to park near Michigan City and take the commuter train into Chicago, but I'm not sure which station would be the best to leave my car at for the night... any advice?
jndmx
4/14/2016 8:38am
TailSoHard wrote:
I'm staying right on Michigan Ave so I'm sure I'll get to see a lot of that. I would like to check out the Pier, but...

My son moved to Chicago for school a few years ago and one of the times I was visiting we were going to eat and as we walked down a platform to the lower roadway he stopped me and said....

Dad!...."This is definitely Lower Wacker Drive".....and it was!
dsmith
Fantasy
1294th
4/14/2016 9:18am
TailSoHard wrote:
The plan is to park near Michigan City and take the commuter train into Chicago, but I'm not sure which station would be the best to...
The plan is to park near Michigan City and take the commuter train into Chicago, but I'm not sure which station would be the best to leave my car at for the night... any advice?
well....id have to say 11th st....Beverly shores is prob the safest if you go a little further...I work about 6 blocks from 11th station....

4/14/2016 2:16pm
You can do this...

I think this is the 11th st station Tongue

dsmith
Fantasy
1294th
4/15/2016 7:30am
You can do this... [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/04/14/131785/s1200_IMG_3059.jpg[/img] I think this is the 11th st station :P [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/04/14/131786/s1200_IMG_0501.jpg[/img]
You can do this...

I think this is the 11th st station Tongue

that is the 11th st. station......
TailSoHard
4/15/2016 10:13am
dsmith wrote:
that is the 11th st. station......
Should I be worried about my car sitting there overnight?
dsmith
Fantasy
1294th
4/15/2016 10:50am
TailSoHard wrote:
Should I be worried about my car sitting there overnight?
It should be ok....if you are worried when you get there...there is a high school parking lot 1 block south (of the 11th st. station) on pine st. or walgreens about 4 blocks south...... might look/feel more comfortable for you parking there...
TailSoHard
4/15/2016 11:09am
dsmith wrote:
It should be ok....if you are worried when you get there...there is a high school parking lot 1 block south (of the 11th st. station) on...
It should be ok....if you are worried when you get there...there is a high school parking lot 1 block south (of the 11th st. station) on pine st. or walgreens about 4 blocks south...... might look/feel more comfortable for you parking there...
Cool, thanks for the heads up!
akmx17
4/16/2016 8:54am
TailSoHard wrote:
Going to Chicago for the first time on Saturday morning, coming home Sunday afternoon. For any of you who've been there before, what should I do/see/experience...
Going to Chicago for the first time on Saturday morning, coming home Sunday afternoon. For any of you who've been there before, what should I do/see/experience? I don't care about museums or art galleries or shopping... But I do want to hit some local cheap food spots, maybe a cool bar with decent music, and potentially go to a Cubs game. I don't have a ton of time, but I would like some advice on what to do with the couple hours I'll have.

So far the only spot I've got on the itinerary is the Billy Goat Tavern and a concert Saturday night.

Oh, and S.Loyer - You'll be jealous. I'm going to the sold-out Local H show at the Metro EvilWoohoo 20th anniversary of As Good As Dead! I'm so f-ing excited! You're the only one here I know who likes Local H as much as I do and I just had to tell someone lol
Hey man, this is S . Loyer On old account. Phone and computer got ripped from me Tuesday, luckily this old phone remembered my old user and pass.

Anyways, I am so fucking jealous. I literally thought it was an April fools bringing Joe back. You lucky fuck.

I had actually just pre-ordered the DVD before 8 saw this thread. I hope you did something memorable.
TailSoHard
4/18/2016 6:03am
akmx17 wrote:
Hey man, this is S . Loyer On old account. Phone and computer got ripped from me Tuesday, luckily this old phone remembered my old user...
Hey man, this is S . Loyer On old account. Phone and computer got ripped from me Tuesday, luckily this old phone remembered my old user and pass.

Anyways, I am so fucking jealous. I literally thought it was an April fools bringing Joe back. You lucky fuck.

I had actually just pre-ordered the DVD before 8 saw this thread. I hope you did something memorable.
It was nuts dude, they played better than I've ever seen them play before. Joe was awesome, you could tell he was having a blast! Threw his bass drum pedal into the crowd after he broke it Grinning That new Ryan guy is good too, he played bass on a song or two with them, and then they played a few songs at the end with both drummers. Ended up at the after party till real late, rocked the night away lol

I'll see about uploading a video in a little bit, after my hangover goes away Woohoo

S.Loyer
4/19/2016 10:58pm
akmx17 wrote:
Hey man, this is S . Loyer On old account. Phone and computer got ripped from me Tuesday, luckily this old phone remembered my old user...

TailSoHard wrote:
It was nuts dude, they played better than I've ever seen them play before. Joe was awesome, you could tell he was having a blast! Threw...
It was nuts dude, they played better than I've ever seen them play before. Joe was awesome, you could tell he was having a blast! Threw his bass drum pedal into the crowd after he broke it Grinning That new Ryan guy is good too, he played bass on a song or two with them, and then they played a few songs at the end with both drummers. Ended up at the after party till real late, rocked the night away lol

I'll see about uploading a video in a little bit, after my hangover goes away Woohoo

I saw they did a 27 song set, Scott Lucas is a fucking is a real Rockstar man. I listened to an OK quality on archive.org, I can't wait to see the DVD
TailSoHard
4/20/2016 5:55am
S.Loyer wrote:
I saw they did a 27 song set, Scott Lucas is a fucking is a real Rockstar man. I listened to an OK quality on archive.org...
I saw they did a 27 song set, Scott Lucas is a fucking is a real Rockstar man. I listened to an OK quality on archive.org, I can't wait to see the DVD
Yeah, they did that two nights in a row, and also played a private acoustic show that I never even heard about. I believe all three shows will be on that DVD.

Post a reply to: Chicago day trip (psssst, hey S. Loyer)

The Latest