Cheesy stunts in movies

Related:
Create New Tag

6/20/2020 7:23 AM

I can't be the only one who would like to see movies made with realistic stunts.
I totally lose interest when the movie completely loses touch with reality. The fight scene where two guys (or better yet, a man and a woman) beat on each other with crowbars for 5 minutes until the victor finally walks away seemingly unscathed. Or jumping from an elevated freeway, 80 feet onto a moving truck. Car jumps where they sail over multiple other vehicles, and maybe a building or two, only to land and keep driving.
Let's have some realistic explosions, rather than the giant fireball gas bombs that are always used.
I think that realistic stunts would make a scary movie much scarier.

BTW, the rest of my family would probably disagree. The more hokey the stunts, the better they seem to like the movie.

|

6/20/2020 8:05 AM

I enjoy today’s modern movies and all the special effects to a limited degree. I enjoy it more for the technical aspect and how they can do it more then anything.

I also enjoy putting on an older movie pre cgi. There is something enjoyable just watching actors act and directors direct. And the story stands on its own.

A lot of movies now a days have such terrible story line that it needs the cgi to make it remotely watchable.

But I’m with you, when the stunts or effects go so beyond the physics of reality then it just makes me tune it out.

There are many examples but one recent one is towards the end of the last Terminator movie that came out. There is an underwater fight scene. So you have this pretty much unstoppable terminator and this very unassuming girl with no experience or training and they are fighting underwater as a car she is riding in is sinking.

I get shampoo in my eyes taking a shower. Can you imagine having no underwater skills and fighting off a seemingly unstoppable terminator robot. And do all this under water???

Well she did it and won. Amazing....

|

6/20/2020 8:36 AM

TXDirt wrote:

I enjoy today’s modern movies and all the special effects to a limited degree. I enjoy it more for the technical aspect and how they can do it more then anything.

I also enjoy putting on an older movie pre cgi. There is something enjoyable just watching actors act and directors direct. And the story stands on its own.

A lot of movies now a days have such terrible story line that it needs the cgi to make it remotely watchable.

But I’m with you, when the stunts or effects go so beyond the physics of reality then it just makes me tune it out.

There are many examples but one recent one is towards the end of the last Terminator movie that came out. There is an underwater fight scene. So you have this pretty much unstoppable terminator and this very unassuming girl with no experience or training and they are fighting underwater as a car she is riding in is sinking.

I get shampoo in my eyes taking a shower. Can you imagine having no underwater skills and fighting off a seemingly unstoppable terminator robot. And do all this under water???

Well she did it and won. Amazing....

So the time travel, shape shifting, cyborg stuff is realistic enough, but being able to keep your eyes open underwater is just stretching reality way too far over the line.........

Yeah, I see the point!

😎

|

6/20/2020 9:28 AM

APLMAN99 wrote:

So the time travel, shape shifting, cyborg stuff is realistic enough, but being able to keep your eyes open underwater is just stretching reality way too far over the line.........

Yeah, I see the point!

😎

Boston Dynamics is a lot closer to building a cyborg then that girl is to fighting off anything underwater. So which might be more believable....

Now the time travel stuff....

|

6/20/2020 8:33 PM

just James wrote:

I can't be the only one who would like to see movies made with realistic stunts.
I totally lose interest when the movie completely loses touch with reality. The fight scene where two guys (or better yet, a man and a woman) beat on each other with crowbars for 5 minutes until the victor finally walks away seemingly unscathed. Or jumping from an elevated freeway, 80 feet onto a moving truck. Car jumps where they sail over multiple other vehicles, and maybe a building or two, only to land and keep driving.
Let's have some realistic explosions, rather than the giant fireball gas bombs that are always used.
I think that realistic stunts would make a scary movie much scarier.

BTW, the rest of my family would probably disagree. The more hokey the stunts, the better they seem to like the movie.

You just described every fast and furious movie bud...

|

why does Kermit's fingers always smell like pork?

6/21/2020 3:27 AM

just James wrote:

I can't be the only one who would like to see movies made with realistic stunts.
I totally lose interest when the movie completely loses touch with reality. The fight scene where two guys (or better yet, a man and a woman) beat on each other with crowbars for 5 minutes until the victor finally walks away seemingly unscathed. Or jumping from an elevated freeway, 80 feet onto a moving truck. Car jumps where they sail over multiple other vehicles, and maybe a building or two, only to land and keep driving.
Let's have some realistic explosions, rather than the giant fireball gas bombs that are always used.
I think that realistic stunts would make a scary movie much scarier.

BTW, the rest of my family would probably disagree. The more hokey the stunts, the better they seem to like the movie.

JOE_SPROCKETS#1 wrote:

You just described every fast and furious movie bud...

Yeah, and apparently the vast majority of people eat that crap up.
Personally, I'd rather get a root canal than watch one of those.

|

6/21/2020 9:14 AM



This. This will never be beaten.
|

"A link is only as long as your longest strong chain"

6/21/2020 11:23 AM

The Jeep seat bounce was equally epic!

|

6/21/2020 11:29 AM

Stuntman949 wrote:

This. This will never be beaten.

Photo
|

6/21/2020 12:02 PM

Stuntman949 wrote:

This. This will never be beaten.

Stuntman posting an epic stunt. grin grin

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

6/21/2020 5:28 PM

The problem with many movies today isn't necessarily the use of cgi, but the utter abuse of it. They just can't seem to resist going too far with it so that many scenes look like a washed out video game cut-scene, and/or the physicality of what you're witnessing just isn't believable to begin with. I didn't even bother watching the last Terminator movie despite being a huge fan of the series, but the one prior to that (Genisys) was so laughably ridiculous that at no point could any tension be created. The characters couldn't survive in my universe what I was witnessing them go through.

Then you take something on the opposite end of the scale like this that was created through practical effects and stuntman (athletes), careful camera work and choreography etc - and it's visually gripping from start to finish, even out of context to the story.

|

6/21/2020 7:57 PM

The “Fall Guy” producers deserve an honorable mention.

https://m.

|

6/21/2020 9:40 PM

As someone who literally grew up in the "biz", it has gotten way out of hand. One thing the 'Rona will do is make shows go back to a more practical production model based on good writing. I cannot stand CGI, and think it just masks terrible scripts and production value.. Even on Star Trek 1st Contact we did some CGI, but most of it was mostly practical and it all helped the story. When the audience says out loud "that's not real, and would never happen" it kills everything.

That's what I loved about Varsity Blues, it was all practical, we didn't use any CGI on that. Just good script, good acting, and good direction. And Editing. wink

|

6/22/2020 5:09 AM

Extraction is the latest movie I've seen that has absolute garbage stunts and action. Alot of people are into the John Wick movies for their stunts, but I found them pretty ordinary also.

|

James = #7. Malcolm = #27
7/27=0.259259259259259259259
Stewart return confirmed!

6/22/2020 5:45 AM

Stuntman949 wrote:

This. This will never be beaten.

-MAVERICK- wrote:

Stuntman posting an epic stunt. grin grin

Indian version of Stoker Ace when he slides - think it was a YZ - under the truck.

|

6/22/2020 6:22 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/22/2020 8:50 AM

How many of you grew up thinking Miles Quade was a badass !

Hes got this sweet Bob Hannah'esque leather riding suit, hot girlfriend with a premo rack and afro and did all kinda cool stunts on his bike. And even when he crashed on the Loop-de-Loop, he got up and walked away like a boss.

Photo

Photo

Photo



Richard Roundtree was the coolest cat ever.



|

"We don't rent pigs."

6/22/2020 3:16 PM

Hooper
just say'n

|

6/28/2020 5:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/28/2020 5:35 PM

kdizzle_rider wrote:

The “Fall Guy” producers deserve an honorable mention.

https://m.

Now, I’ve learned from Seat Bounce class here at Vital that a bike can’t bounce off the ground because the shock has rebound damping. So what’s going on with that truck?

|

6/28/2020 6:01 PM

kdizzle_rider wrote:

The “Fall Guy” producers deserve an honorable mention.

https://m.

Robgvx wrote:

Now, I’ve learned from Seat Bounce class here at Vital that a bike can’t bounce off the ground because the shock has rebound damping. So what’s going on with that truck?

Mostly tire bounce.
The suspension back then ain't what it is today.

|

Go for it! Don't let a little thing like fear, or common sense hold you back.

6/28/2020 7:14 PM

Most have no idea what this Man has done for stunts in Movies.No Trickery involved. like todays Green screen
BS. Dude has pure balls to make this work

|

I was a third-string dreamer on a second-place team~ Luke Combs