Change at Harleyville.

motogrady
Edited Date/Time 5/22/2020 4:26pm
I just saw their president and head ceo up and quit.
No warning, no sticking around with just a seat on the board. Nothing.
This was the guy who’s idea was to go electric.
Apparently they put a VP in there temporarily. The guy, I forget his name, did real good turning a sneaker company around before he came to HD.

Who the new guy is gonna be, they don’t know.
|
motosmith
3/4/2020 10:00am
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out there's no market for an electric Harley.

Harley's are supposed to leak oil and be really loud.
G-man
3/4/2020 10:16am
motosmith wrote:
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out there's no market for an electric Harley.

So freaking true I can never understand why the first thing they do is take out the stock pipes or baffle and make them as LOUD as possible so freaking annoying!!! Sick
KMC440
3/4/2020 12:36pm
Used to live in town on a busy street 200yds from a light here. Friday and Saturday nights were ridiculous with the straight cuts and drag pipes. Couldn't wait for 2:30am the "drag races" would finally be done.

Harley needs to stick with their core product and kill more than one line of bikes.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
3/4/2020 1:41pm
I've been in a few HD dealerships recently, and the buzz around the electric bikes was very noticeable. I saw test rides and sales happening at several dealerships. Maybe it's a regional thing, and I would have thought Harley guys would sooner cut off their own nuts than ride an electric bike, but it seems like they are doing OK with it.

The Shop

TXDirt
3/4/2020 2:53pm
Loud bikes that leak oil only serves a dying market in some respects. Harley was right to look around the corner, unless they plan on only selling to nostalgic Harley customers.
3/4/2020 3:13pm Edited Date/Time 3/4/2020 3:18pm
motosmith wrote:

G-man wrote:
So freaking true I can never understand why the first thing they do is take out the stock pipes or baffle and make them as LOUD...
So freaking true I can never understand why the first thing they do is take out the stock pipes or baffle and make them as LOUD as possible so freaking annoying!!! Sick
Makin noise with the boys

Cause it's fun as fuck when you have a group of loud old Evos or Shovelheads chugging up a hill it sounds like an apache helicopter hovering over top.
Red Crawford
3/4/2020 3:49pm
My neighborhood is full of guys in their 20's. They ride dyna's and drive old VW bugs--slammed, with built motors and Fuch's.

A love for shit that leaks oil knows no age....
motogrady
3/4/2020 4:58pm
My neighborhood is full of guys in their 20's. They ride dyna's and drive old VW bugs--slammed, with built motors and Fuch's. A love for shit...
My neighborhood is full of guys in their 20's. They ride dyna's and drive old VW bugs--slammed, with built motors and Fuch's.

A love for shit that leaks oil knows no age....
Good to hear the spirit is still alive!
BMSOBx2
3/4/2020 5:49pm Edited Date/Time 3/4/2020 5:51pm
KMC440 wrote:
Used to live in town on a busy street 200yds from a light here. Friday and Saturday nights were ridiculous with the straight cuts and drag...
Used to live in town on a busy street 200yds from a light here. Friday and Saturday nights were ridiculous with the straight cuts and drag pipes. Couldn't wait for 2:30am the "drag races" would finally be done.

Harley needs to stick with their core product and kill more than one line of bikes.
Only problem is their core product and their core customers are getting too old to ride slow 700lb. bikes.
crowe176
3/4/2020 5:54pm
motosmith wrote:

I think you meant “rocket appliances”.
7I3N
3/4/2020 8:03pm
Some of the definitions for Harley Davidson on Urban Dictionary are priceless. This is my favorite.

reded
3/4/2020 9:35pm
KMC440 wrote:
Used to live in town on a busy street 200yds from a light here. Friday and Saturday nights were ridiculous with the straight cuts and drag...

BMSOBx2 wrote:
Only problem is their core product and their core customers are getting too old to ride slow 700lb. bikes.
That’s why they started adding a 3rd wheel to their lineup. The oldest group have come full circle.
motogrady
3/4/2020 10:05pm Edited Date/Time 3/4/2020 10:11pm
TXDirt wrote:
Loud bikes that leak oil only serves a dying market in some respects. Harley was right to look around the corner, unless they plan on only...
Loud bikes that leak oil only serves a dying market in some respects. Harley was right to look around the corner, unless they plan on only selling to nostalgic Harley customers.
Well, that’s what’s kind of interesting.
The guy that split, well his last day is the end of March, that was his vision. Move on to the next big thing. Electric motorcycles and scooters.
One wonders, the new guy, what’s he gonna do?
Cut his losses like they did the 80s and do what they do best, build big vtwins? Get rid of the electric stuff
and just get back to making money?
Red Crawford
3/4/2020 10:10pm
reded wrote:
That’s why they started adding a 3rd wheel to their lineup. The oldest group have come full circle.
HD began making 3-wheelers in 1932.....
motogrady
3/4/2020 10:10pm
KMC440 wrote:

BMSOBx2 wrote:
reded wrote:
That wasn’t new really, they have been making what’s called Service Cars since the 50s. 3 wheelers mainly for police depts.
And really, why not attack the old boomers. Lot of them have the money, with maybe 10 or 20 years left in em. If it’s there to be had, grab it.
motogrady
3/4/2020 10:13pm
reded wrote:
HD began making 3-wheelers in 1932.....
That far back eh? Damn.
KMC440
3/5/2020 1:39am Edited Date/Time 3/6/2020 3:41am
After close to twenty broken bones, moderate back issues I can't ride a rocket for more than fifteen minutes at a time. I just want to have a nice Sat afternoon cruise around my neighborhood bike. Probably find a nice Road King this summer.
When you kids wake up and wonder "where'd that pain come from" ... call me.
reded
3/5/2020 4:18am Edited Date/Time 3/5/2020 4:21am
motosmith wrote:

G-man wrote:
So freaking true I can never understand why the first thing they do is take out the stock pipes or baffle and make them as LOUD...
Now imagine what people who live within earshot of a track think. I feel the same way about people who put said system on a dirtbike, sport bike, quad or SXS. At least I’m not riding my Harley around the same 4 block area for hours on end.
APLMAN99
3/5/2020 4:37am
I didn’t used to like loud pipes much until I started riding on the street again. Now I love the fact that you can hear my bike a half mile away......

I believe that there have been countless times that a cager would have taken me out without knowing I was there if not for the noise.

At the same time, I’m always a little bit amused at the sport bike guys who ride at 8-9K RPM on a 40 MPH road........
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
3/5/2020 8:11am
KMC440 wrote:
After close to twenty broken bones, moderate back issues I can't ride a rocket for more than fifteen minutes at a time. I just want to...
After close to twenty broken bones, moderate back issues I can't ride a rocket for more than fifteen minutes at a time. I just want to have a nice Sat afternoon cruise around my neighborhood bike. Probably find a nice Road King this summer.
I’m on my 5th Harley and have never seen a drop of oil out of any of them. These guys on here must have owned Panheads.

I gotta tell you I bought a 2017 Road King a couple years ago with only 7k miles. It is by far my favorite bike. I like it much better than the Road Glide with the fairing. I like being able to see the road in front of me and the King is perfect for that. The 107 hauls ass! Very smooth too. I guess I’m one of the rare guys that likes 800ib bikes much more than lightweights. On the freeways/backroads you’re need the mass to avoid being blown off the road by wind gust.
motogrady
3/5/2020 11:57am
KMC440 wrote:
After close to twenty broken bones, moderate back issues I can't ride a rocket for more than fifteen minutes at a time. I just want to...
KennyT wrote:
I’m on my 5th Harley and have never seen a drop of oil out of any of them. These guys on here must have owned Panheads...
I’m on my 5th Harley and have never seen a drop of oil out of any of them. These guys on here must have owned Panheads.

I gotta tell you I bought a 2017 Road King a couple years ago with only 7k miles. It is by far my favorite bike. I like it much better than the Road Glide with the fairing. I like being able to see the road in front of me and the King is perfect for that. The 107 hauls ass! Very smooth too. I guess I’m one of the rare guys that likes 800ib bikes much more than lightweights. On the freeways/backroads you’re need the mass to avoid being blown off the road by wind gust.
See, that’s the things a lot of guys just don’t get.
Harley Davidson is good, has been good, at long haul
big cruisers. For a long time. Like any bike they had issues. Triumphs leaked. Gold wings frames rusted out underneath before the went aluminum. There are still guys putting car alternators on them. Beemers,
well I can’t think of anything about the Beemers.
The Beemers make your feet sweat.

When guys will get it into their head it’s a different animal, designed for something other than screaming, I just don’t know.
KMC440
3/5/2020 12:08pm
When the Evo motor came out Harley took the biggest leap in both reliability and consumer appeal. I've ridden a few Harley's and was really surprised how nimble the Road King was. Much better than my Concours at the time. The worst handling Harley was my buddys 77 CR(cafe racer) ohhh my gawd that thing was a handfull!
JustMX
3/7/2020 10:08am
Harley screwed up when they screwed buell.
That was their link to younger riders.

They only compounded it by not integrating Alta and coming out with a tested, lightweight, fun urban commuter 2 years ago.

I guess if they wanted to keep it comparable to their upcoming EB they could have offered cast iron fairings and saddle bags.
G-man
3/7/2020 10:39am Edited Date/Time 3/7/2020 11:45am
I guess I wouldn't dislike Harley so much if it wasn't for the Pirates that love to run around Arizona without their helmet on but make sure they have a badass bandana and obnoxious LOUD pipes.

They also love to have every OVERPRICED Harley apparel as possible and think they're one of the Hell's Angels.

And to them a Harley is the only kind of motorcycle to have. I currently own three different brands of bikes and love them all.

I noticed when I go to California that the Harley crowd seems to shrink and it's more of a different variety of bikes. I don't know what it is with Arizona and Harley's but it seems to be the majority.
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
3/7/2020 11:22am
G-man wrote:
I guess I wouldn't dislike Harley so much if it wasn't for the Pirates that love to run around Arizona without their helmet on but make...
I guess I wouldn't dislike Harley so much if it wasn't for the Pirates that love to run around Arizona without their helmet on but make sure they have a badass bandana and obnoxious LOUD pipes.

They also love to have every OVERPRICED Harley apparel as possible and think they're one of the Hell's Angels.

And to them a Harley is the only kind of motorcycle to have. I currently own three different brands of bikes and love them all.

I noticed when I go to California that the Harley crowd seems to shrink and it's more of a different variety of bikes. I don't know what it is with Arizona and Harley's but it seems to be the majority.
I use my KTM adventure jacket when I ride my HD. You have the pirate crowd on Harley’s and the circus outfits with crotch rockets. I don’t even know what to call MX apparel but let’s put it this way. I could walk into a establishment with a leather jacket on much easier than I could walk in wearing the clown outfits you see on a Moto starting gate.

I also today many different bikes. I love Harley’s and just about any other bike I’ve ever owned. The Road King and my KTM Adventure bike r a perfect 2 bike combo for a guy who just turned 60. I can’t do Moto any longer unfortunately.

I did ride over to Cooks Corner n Orange County last weekend and it was packed with the pirate crowd. It doesn’t bother me, if they enjoy it then who am I to tell them they look goofy.
jeffro503
3/7/2020 12:11pm
My little brother has an 18' Harley 48 , and I can tell you what , it's a fun bike to ride. He's got some VH exhaust and a few other things on it , but it isn't super loud. He's put quite a few miles on it these past 3 years , no oil leaks that I'm aware of.
G-man
3/7/2020 12:12pm Edited Date/Time 3/8/2020 8:29pm
Kenny,
Actually two of my good friends ride Harleys and I've also been on rides where I was the only Japanese bike. It's all good really as long as you're on two wheels you're okay with me.

It's the guys that make their bikes as loud as possible (especially the roached out ones) that think their rocket ships that make me LOL..... Laughing

Post a reply to: Change at Harleyville.

The Latest