Carpal Tunnel surgery?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/24/2019 6:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/24/2019 6:12 AM

Read some disconcerting info about hand strength not returning after surgery?
For those of you who have had the surgery- lap or open? Do you have full strength now? Also how long was recovery before you could ride?
Thanks gents!

|

12/24/2019 1:09 PM

My doctor recommended it by saying I should do the left hand first since I am right handed in case it didn't work. Nope, ain't gonna happen. I have a non-riding friend that had to have a revision on his, don't recall if he got any strength back.

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

12/24/2019 3:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/24/2019 4:05 PM

I had both hands done, the right hand done in the late fall of 2011, then the left hand done in late January 2012. I rode again, (a vintage motocross), on the first weekend in May of 2012 and had no problems and no numbness in either hand. So lets say I gave myself 3 months. I did not have the arthroscopic type surgery, I had the old fashion cut you with a scalpel style, (whatever that is called). I worked out both hands quite a bit getting ready to ride again. And I did all the prescribed physical therapy exercises religiously.

I also got one of those Prohands Gripmasters with Extra Heavy Tension to help me get the strength back in my hands.

But the bottom line is yes my hand strength returned to both hands after my surgeries, but I worked at it.

|

“Adhering to 1970’s Standards of Political Correctness”

12/26/2019 6:02 AM

I had both hands done (open) at separate times. 100% successful. Took about a month for each hand to be 100%.

|

12/27/2019 8:20 PM

alphado wrote:

I had both hands done (open) at separate times. 100% successful. Took about a month for each hand to be 100%.

Same here.

|

12/28/2019 11:05 PM

One additional word of advice.

A few weeks before you have the surgery on the hand you normally use to wipe your ass, start using the other hand. You may find that you are not as flexible when you use the other hand, and you might want to work on improving that flexibility before your surgery.

That is unless you got somebody that will wipe your ass for you.

|

“Adhering to 1970’s Standards of Political Correctness”

1/4/2020 12:12 PM

Excellent thanks gents, I had the nerve conductivity test several years ago, and have been putting it off. Sound like it’s probably time to get started one st a time of course.

|

1/30/2020 8:16 AM

I guess I get to join the club, I'm getting left one done Monday, right one 2 weeks later.

I am really excited to be able to ride more than 2 laps and actually feel my hands

|