Carfax info

rpoint116
11/13/2018 5:37pm Edited Date/Time 11/15/2018 10:16am
Some Jackhole backed into me while it was parked in the parking lot, so now I have a small scuff and two small scratches on the back rear bumper of our new car. I would post a picture but it is literally impossible to see. I plan on taking it two a couple of detailing restoration places next week. If they can't repair it somehow I may have to go thru our Insurance. I really don't want it showing up as a Carfax event because of the perceived negativity of the incident, and because it is so minor.

My question is does the Insurance Company or the body shop submit an "event" to the Carfax database? Can I ask "whoever" not to report the event because it is so insignificant?
|
Premix
11/13/2018 7:59pm Edited Date/Time 11/13/2018 8:00pm
Most major auto insurer don’t provide information to Carfax due to non disclosure agreements in place. Some of the lower end companies like Progressive or Safe Auto will sell your information. Some of their 3rd party software might provide it as well. but the majority of carfaxes data comes from the dealers. Carfax often misses accidents and service history. It’s one of the most unreliable sources of information.

You can literally call up and have anything added or removed from the report you want.
newmann
11/13/2018 8:01pm
We don't report anything to Carfax. I do however use a CCC online estimating system that scans the VIN number and attaches photos to the estimate. Many parts are VIN specific to vehicles so there is another possible info source. I have seen Carfax reports on vehicles that list all the vehicle services at the dealer and also one that had 20 plus oil changes at a local quick lube. I have no doubt that the insurance companies provide the bulk of the collision info. They would sell their grandmothers for a buck.

Overhauling and refinishing a rear bumper on most vehicles would be a $600.00 - $700.00 repair as long as it is just minor paint damage. If it's the new Porsche of yours, could be upwards of a grand depending on how difficult to remove and if any electronic components have to be reset after disconnecting/reconnecting. Get a repair shop to write you a quote by manually selecting the vehicle and not scanning the vin. If you have a $500.00-$1000.00 deductible, why even bother filing a claim?

If you did file a claim and it happened to fall in the uninsured motorists category, you can always file a diminished value claim. Laws differ depending on state. Hope this helps...
newmann
11/13/2018 8:10pm
Premix wrote:
Most major auto insurer don’t provide information to Carfax due to non disclosure agreements in place. Some of the lower end companies like Progressive or Safe...
Most major auto insurer don’t provide information to Carfax due to non disclosure agreements in place. Some of the lower end companies like Progressive or Safe Auto will sell your information. Some of their 3rd party software might provide it as well. but the majority of carfaxes data comes from the dealers. Carfax often misses accidents and service history. It’s one of the most unreliable sources of information.

You can literally call up and have anything added or removed from the report you want.
Carfax does miss a lot of stuff and they also get a lot of stuff wrong. On major insurers not reporting, I have had a few customers call us up pissed off come trade in time that had claims with the big name insurance companies. The info in one situation was wrong as it listed air bag deployment which didn't happen and frame damage which was negligible. The dealer was trying to lowball him 10 grand on trade for a $7,000.00 repair. I referred him to a DV appraiser who got him almost $4000.00 in a diminished value claim. Trying to get Carfax to correct the info...never happened.
rpoint116
11/13/2018 8:15pm
It is the Porsche... which by the way in the shop at 3K miles because of a coolant leak... probably a water pump ??!

Honestly you can barely see it. I came back from hiking a week ago last Monday day and saw a piece of paper on the windshield. It was blank and didn’t think anything of it. On Wednesday I saw the Scuff.

I think it will be a $250 deductible for my ins. I can’t imagine any diminished value over something this minor. Hopefully it will clean up.

The Shop

Premix
11/13/2018 8:25pm Edited Date/Time 11/13/2018 8:36pm
newmann wrote:
Carfax does miss a lot of stuff and they also get a lot of stuff wrong. On major insurers not reporting, I have had a few...
Carfax does miss a lot of stuff and they also get a lot of stuff wrong. On major insurers not reporting, I have had a few customers call us up pissed off come trade in time that had claims with the big name insurance companies. The info in one situation was wrong as it listed air bag deployment which didn't happen and frame damage which was negligible. The dealer was trying to lowball him 10 grand on trade for a $7,000.00 repair. I referred him to a DV appraiser who got him almost $4000.00 in a diminished value claim. Trying to get Carfax to correct the info...never happened.
Many times the insurance company itself has to call in and have Carfax alter the info. CCC also directly reports to carfax and has for some time now. Mitchell’s also does in some capacity as well.

CCC-Carfax

Diminished Value is different in every state. You can’t file a DOV claim under UMPD if you are the insured. Every major carrier has this exclusion in their policy. Some states have specific guidelines, others it’s a tort claim.
Premix
11/13/2018 8:33pm
rpoint116 wrote:
It is the Porsche... which by the way in the shop at 3K miles because of a coolant leak... probably a water pump ??! Honestly you...
It is the Porsche... which by the way in the shop at 3K miles because of a coolant leak... probably a water pump ??!

Honestly you can barely see it. I came back from hiking a week ago last Monday day and saw a piece of paper on the windshield. It was blank and didn’t think anything of it. On Wednesday I saw the Scuff.

I think it will be a $250 deductible for my ins. I can’t imagine any diminished value over something this minor. Hopefully it will clean up.

Can’t tell if that’s an indent or not in the bottom circle. Hour or two to clean up and paint if it’s broken the paint. Keep in mind the plastic covers have a tremendous amount of flexibility, so what may not look that bad, may have some underlying issues, sensors, etc.

rpoint116
11/13/2018 9:11pm Edited Date/Time 11/13/2018 9:13pm
Premix wrote:
Can’t tell if that’s an indent or not in the bottom circle. Hour or two to clean up and paint if it’s broken the paint. Keep...
Can’t tell if that’s an indent or not in the bottom circle. Hour or two to clean up and paint if it’s broken the paint. Keep in mind the plastic covers have a tremendous amount of flexibility, so what may not look that bad, may have some underlying issues, sensors, etc.

Sensors work fine. I’m trying to visualize where I was parked and how someone hit me.

I looked up a couple of paint/damage repair places I’m checking out when I get it back from the shop.

This is not a daily driver per sey... I’m sure it’s bound to get a ding or scratch here or there. Just not so fast!!
TXDirt
11/14/2018 11:44am
If it's minor just pay for the repair out of pocket. I can't imagine notifying your insurance company on this. Even if the deductible is $250 and the repair is say $1,000. Your insurance will absolutely go up and you will have a claim on your file. Why bother for such a small amount of money? Just pay the repair out of pocket and move on. That's just me.
11/14/2018 11:59am Edited Date/Time 11/14/2018 12:01pm
Same thing just happened to me! I ask if they report to carfax. They’ll tell you. Find yourself a mom and pop autobody shop. One that’s been there for a long time....they’ll set ya up.

Yea man don’t go through insurance. Eat the cost. Negotiate a cash deal. Otherwise you’ll get a claim penalty and end up paying for it two times over in the long run.

Also not sure where you live but I’m not fixing mine until the spring. I might get rear ended as the winters are horrible here. Ha. No sense in fixing things twice.
Premix
11/14/2018 1:09pm
Same thing just happened to me! I ask if they report to carfax. They’ll tell you. Find yourself a mom and pop autobody shop. One that’s...
Same thing just happened to me! I ask if they report to carfax. They’ll tell you. Find yourself a mom and pop autobody shop. One that’s been there for a long time....they’ll set ya up.

Yea man don’t go through insurance. Eat the cost. Negotiate a cash deal. Otherwise you’ll get a claim penalty and end up paying for it two times over in the long run.

Also not sure where you live but I’m not fixing mine until the spring. I might get rear ended as the winters are horrible here. Ha. No sense in fixing things twice.
They can tell you anything they want, unknowingly, they may report. Best bet is to pay cash and have them give you an estimate without using your vin.

I personally wouldn’t take a 90k plus vehicle, like rpoint has, to a mom and pop shop unversed in the latest repair techniques and produces. The technology in the collision and refinishing field is astonishing these days. More over, manufacturers procedures should be treated like a bible. Just because Mom and Pop have been there for 30 plus years dosen’t mean they are doing it correctly. Look up the John Eagle Collision/ State Farm lawsuit if you want a good read.

Also some manufacturers have a mandatory requirement now require a pre/post scan to identify and clear any DTC’s. I haven’t seen Porsche’s position statement come across my inbox as of yet. Even in a minor collision, I would always have the vehicle scanned post repairs to make sure it’s not storing any trouble codes. And have it done by the dealer, not a mom and pop shop with a snap on or cornwell scan tool. Those don’t pick up everything.

As far as your rates go, for that small of claim, I doubt it would affect your premiums. Call your agent, have them contact underwriting. They can model your policy post claim and give you an idea. So many things go into rating a policy, a minor claim is a drop in the bucket.

Georgie, I don’t envy you guys out that way this time of year. Good call on holding off until spring.
rpoint116
11/15/2018 6:47am
Same thing just happened to me! I ask if they report to carfax. They’ll tell you. Find yourself a mom and pop autobody shop. One that’s...

Do you have a pic?
11/15/2018 10:13am Edited Date/Time 11/15/2018 10:16am
Shop quoted me $650 for this job. I’m gonna wait. My uncle has a shop in Pittsburgh. He’s gonna do it In the spring.

Old lady was turning left and Crossed way over center at an intersection. I hurried up cranked the car in the reverse (lurched back and she narrowly missed me) but I grazed a guard rail. But I guess it’s bettee than her smearing my front end. Oh well. Shit happens. I hit the guard rail. My fault. still this lady is gonna kill someone. Didn’t bother calling police because I’ll never be able to prove she was over center.

Post a reply to: Carfax info

The Latest