Cardio Advice.

OG725
Edited Date/Time 12/7/2020 11:18am
I recently bought my antique mountain bike to train cardio. Cardio should convince my body to shed some muscle. Hardware in my legs makes running near impossible and road cycling is about exciting as golf.

Luckily, I’ve got a nice little trail system a block from the house.

Back on topic, now I’m doing 4 miles first day, 3 miles second day, 2 miles third day, day off, rinse repeat. Now what should I be doing?

|
AJ565
5/15/2020 10:26am
You should get a heart rate monitor so you can keep track of what you're doing. For example I ride my mountain bike 10.5 miles 3 days a week since the gym is closed right now. Monday I try and do a recovery ride from moto on Sundays and keep my HR under 140bpm the whole 50 min ride. Wednesday and Friday I go for my normal hard ride and try and keep my HR above 160 average the whole ride which is about 45 min. I've tracked all this from day one and can clearly see how my average speed has gone up, my HR max and average has gone down ect. I also track all this stuff with moto and cardio while riding has noticeably improved.

Also you're not going to go out and kill it right off the bat. For cardio 3-4 miles isn't going to do a lot for you, but better then nothing. How long you ride is a better idea. At least 30 min is a good start, an hour would be better. Also riding every day isn't the best, you need some more recovery in there.
OG725
5/15/2020 10:48am
AJ565 wrote:
You should get a heart rate monitor so you can keep track of what you're doing. For example I ride my mountain bike 10.5 miles 3...
You should get a heart rate monitor so you can keep track of what you're doing. For example I ride my mountain bike 10.5 miles 3 days a week since the gym is closed right now. Monday I try and do a recovery ride from moto on Sundays and keep my HR under 140bpm the whole 50 min ride. Wednesday and Friday I go for my normal hard ride and try and keep my HR above 160 average the whole ride which is about 45 min. I've tracked all this from day one and can clearly see how my average speed has gone up, my HR max and average has gone down ect. I also track all this stuff with moto and cardio while riding has noticeably improved.

Also you're not going to go out and kill it right off the bat. For cardio 3-4 miles isn't going to do a lot for you, but better then nothing. How long you ride is a better idea. At least 30 min is a good start, an hour would be better. Also riding every day isn't the best, you need some more recovery in there.
I’ll ramp it up, but like you said I had to get going. Yesterday I was out for 55 minutes, a lot of just having fun, checking stuff out. Today I just rode the smooth trail for 25 minutes. I’m the typical over trainer, anything worth doing is worth over doing.

Have to get a heart rate monitor, I’m just checking my finger on my phone. Not the most accurate, but it’s baseline I’m after.
kongols
5/15/2020 10:56am
As my trainer used to say- anything under hour is a waste of time.
OG725
5/15/2020 11:01am
kongols wrote:
This is good stuff, I need to hear. When I was powerlifting I wouldn’t do over 20 minutes, because I’d see my strength drop.

Kind of amazing the shape I’m in with just anaerobic work. Upping my cardio game should get me to the next level I’m looking for.

The Shop

kongols
5/15/2020 11:35am Edited Date/Time 5/15/2020 2:06pm
kongols wrote:
OG725 wrote:
This is good stuff, I need to hear. When I was powerlifting I wouldn’t do over 20 minutes, because I’d see my strength drop. Kind of...
This is good stuff, I need to hear. When I was powerlifting I wouldn’t do over 20 minutes, because I’d see my strength drop.

Kind of amazing the shape I’m in with just anaerobic work. Upping my cardio game should get me to the next level I’m looking for.
For cardio you need long sessions with steady 140-150 HR. Do not over do it at the beggining. Warm up 15 min is a must! First month or two don`t let it go over 150.
Ebs
5/15/2020 12:15pm
Worth the 10 min listen.

OG725
5/15/2020 12:31pm
The guy that holds the title I covet the most right now is a Ninja, yeah a no shit Ninja. Other guy is a Four or Five time World Champion.

As a recovering Powerlifter, I really stray away from dumbbell/barbell exercises. Lot’s of body weight and core strength. Core and balance are the number one things in my sport. I’ve tailored my strength program to sport.

Today’s strength work, grouped together equals HIIT.

4x10 Chin-ups with knee up, two exercises.
4X12 bull rider 50lb kettlebell squat on Bosu.

4x8 Hammer up, torso shrug.
4x12 50lb Goblet squat on Bosu.

2x6 wide grip chin-ups holding a pike
2x15 50lb Kettlebell swings

4x22 Super wide grip pushups
4x15 left arm RDL, 50 lb Kettlebell

Still going out and riding the drop barrel tonight too, once it cools off.
Chance1216
5/15/2020 1:59pm
One thing I did to help with cardio was alternate using a heavy bag and jump rope in between sets of lifting.
Most people rest two three minutes before starting the next set. I really think a jump rope is underestimated for cardio.

IanMac138
5/15/2020 3:02pm Edited Date/Time 5/15/2020 3:12pm
30 minutes of cardio...warm up and get heart rate going...then 30s sprints followed by 1 minute cool down, repeat with 1 min sprint, 1 min cool down, 1:30 min sprint with 2 min cool down etc. and then last 3-4 minutes of cardio go full out and cool down...followed by 30 minutes of High Intensity Interval Training. Pro-tip...when doing weights, don't lift heavy ones, do reps and do them slow...the proper term for slow meaning "time under tension". For instance, a bicep curl...don't go fast with the weight, do it slow on the way up, and hold it for a few seconds, and then slow on the way down. Great way to burn fat, tone and train your muscles and get after burn for up to 36 hours afterwards.
5/16/2020 2:12am
All you guys with bad knees need to “speed walk” and don’t run/jog. I’ve lost a bunch of lbs (embarrassing actually to say how much) and gained fitness just walking, weights,and being on point with diet. My knees would hurt days after a treadmill run. So I slowed my speed a bit. I forget which
joe Rogan podcast it was (someone please let me know I want to watch it again) but his theory was just do 80% of your max Every day when it comes to weights and cardio.
OG725
5/16/2020 6:39am
Chance1216 wrote:
One thing I did to help with cardio was alternate using a heavy bag and jump rope in between sets of lifting. Most people rest two...
One thing I did to help with cardio was alternate using a heavy bag and jump rope in between sets of lifting.
Most people rest two three minutes before starting the next set. I really think a jump rope is underestimated for cardio.

I’ve added some jump rope work in. Today I’ll do a bunch of calisthenics, plyometric stuff, jump rope, and balance work.
5/16/2020 7:00am
I bought a once ridden walmart bike for $75 off someone and Ive got a park with a long trail behind me. I've only ridden for a little over a month but this is what I've done with noticeable gains. The first week I did a 7.5 mile loop maxing around 160bpm and getting exhausted. Next week, 15 miles, taking me 1h5m heart rate in the 160s the entire time, and now Im doing a 20 mile loop and staying at a little over an hour. I've noticed my increased stamina in at home workouts that were killing me a month or two ago.
yz133rider
5/17/2020 10:31am
All you guys with bad knees need to “speed walk” and don’t run/jog. I’ve lost a bunch of lbs (embarrassing actually to say how much) and...
All you guys with bad knees need to “speed walk” and don’t run/jog. I’ve lost a bunch of lbs (embarrassing actually to say how much) and gained fitness just walking, weights,and being on point with diet. My knees would hurt days after a treadmill run. So I slowed my speed a bit. I forget which
joe Rogan podcast it was (someone please let me know I want to watch it again) but his theory was just do 80% of your max Every day when it comes to weights and cardio.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xDsoWp743gM

Pretty sure this is the one you're referring to. Definitly worth a listen. Hes an elite level trainer.
greenmx5
5/17/2020 12:50pm
IanMac138 wrote:
30 minutes of cardio...warm up and get heart rate going...then 30s sprints followed by 1 minute cool down, repeat with 1 min sprint, 1 min cool...
30 minutes of cardio...warm up and get heart rate going...then 30s sprints followed by 1 minute cool down, repeat with 1 min sprint, 1 min cool down, 1:30 min sprint with 2 min cool down etc. and then last 3-4 minutes of cardio go full out and cool down...followed by 30 minutes of High Intensity Interval Training. Pro-tip...when doing weights, don't lift heavy ones, do reps and do them slow...the proper term for slow meaning "time under tension". For instance, a bicep curl...don't go fast with the weight, do it slow on the way up, and hold it for a few seconds, and then slow on the way down. Great way to burn fat, tone and train your muscles and get after burn for up to 36 hours afterwards.
Trying to follow what you're saying... 30 min warm up - sprints and cooldowns (which is also HIIT) - then 30 min more HIIT on top?
OG725
5/19/2020 6:18am
Bumped my saddle time to an hour. Going to just go out and have fun for 45 days or so.

Our bodies really are adept machines. People see cardio and assume fat burning. Well, I’ve asked my body to pick up and put down heavy things for a long time. So it’s added some muscle. At 5’9” I’m 185 and 10% body fat. Was 80 pounds heavier when I spent three hours a night, six days a week at the gym.

Now, I’m trying to put my body in to catabolism. 185 and 10% is good you say? Well, I want to be 165 and 10%. When my body sees we are doing a ton of cardio, it’s going to ask itself, “why am I carrying all this extra muscle”. The resulting shed is what I’m after.

My current sport doesn’t require a ton of cardio, short, extremely violent burst. You can’t beat physics so being smaller is my friend. It’s easier to control a 165 pound pendulum compared to 185! 😂

kongols
5/19/2020 6:20am
OG725 wrote:
Bumped my saddle time to an hour. Going to just go out and have fun for 45 days or so. Our bodies really are adept machines...
Bumped my saddle time to an hour. Going to just go out and have fun for 45 days or so.

Our bodies really are adept machines. People see cardio and assume fat burning. Well, I’ve asked my body to pick up and put down heavy things for a long time. So it’s added some muscle. At 5’9” I’m 185 and 10% body fat. Was 80 pounds heavier when I spent three hours a night, six days a week at the gym.

Now, I’m trying to put my body in to catabolism. 185 and 10% is good you say? Well, I want to be 165 and 10%. When my body sees we are doing a ton of cardio, it’s going to ask itself, “why am I carrying all this extra muscle”. The resulting shed is what I’m after.

My current sport doesn’t require a ton of cardio, short, extremely violent burst. You can’t beat physics so being smaller is my friend. It’s easier to control a 165 pound pendulum compared to 185! 😂

The more muscle the more oxygen they use and you get tired real fast.
NvHermit
Fantasy
4326th
5/19/2020 6:38am
OG725 wrote:
Bumped my saddle time to an hour. Going to just go out and have fun for 45 days or so. Our bodies really are adept machines...

I was tired of carrying all that extra muscle also so I went on the sourdough diet. It didn't go as planned so I've been eating celery for a week to get back down to fighting weight. I don't really do any cardio besides hiking up and down mountains, but I think slow and steady is the way for me.

OG725
5/19/2020 6:46am
OG725 wrote:

NvHermit wrote:
I was tired of carrying all that extra muscle also so I went on the sourdough diet. It didn't go as planned so I've been eating...
I was tired of carrying all that extra muscle also so I went on the sourdough diet. It didn't go as planned so I've been eating celery for a week to get back down to fighting weight. I don't really do any cardio besides hiking up and down mountains, but I think slow and steady is the way for me.

😂😂😂😂

You’re living my dream life! Except the eating celery part.
NvHermit
Fantasy
4326th
5/19/2020 6:48am
OG725 wrote:

NvHermit wrote:
I was tired of carrying all that extra muscle also so I went on the sourdough diet. It didn't go as planned so I've been eating...

OG725 wrote:
😂😂😂😂

You’re living my dream life! Except the eating celery part.
I'm going big tonight, check out the food thread later. Sourdough pizza and wings !
OG725
5/20/2020 12:35pm
Bought a Fitbit Inspire HR. Not just for the HR, I’m kind of interested in seeing how I sleep.
AJ565
5/20/2020 1:47pm
With the Fitbit it’s cool to see your resting HR, but for the biking stuff you should consider getting a chest strap to pair with it to get a better HR reading as the watch moves around to much.

This is my snap shots from yesterday’s ride. I was wanting to keep a 160 average again and when I started my ride it is 98 degrees out. When I’m riding I can see 3 things on my watch, speed, HR, and cadence. I know I can keep a 80-90 rpm cadence for an hour in the gym so I try and do the same on the trail using the gears to my advantage to do that which helps me maintain my HR and keep the speed up. Yesterday was a new PR for average speed picking up .3 mph. I know that doesn’t sound like much, but that’s a pretty decent jump. I need to remember to take my Garmin and video my ride one of these days too.

Chance1216
5/20/2020 1:50pm Edited Date/Time 5/20/2020 1:53pm
OG725 wrote:

. I went for strength and size over everything. Winter I’m usually 240-250
End of summer I’m down to 220- 218 typically.
Winter is heavy lifting.
Spring through fall is heavy lifting with cardio in the mix.
I’m pretty good at cutting by focusing on my diet. Cut out bread, starches etc. Then fruit. I found cutting out all fruit and replacing it with vegetables really helps. At least for myself.
I’m not trying to get below 215 for the record.
kongols
5/20/2020 1:56pm
AJ, how come your zone5 starts from 179? How old are you?
I`m 44 and my zone5 starts at 159.
OG725
5/20/2020 2:04pm
OG725 wrote:

Chance1216 wrote:
. I went for strength and size over everything. Winter I’m usually 240-250 End of summer I’m down to 220- 218 typically. Winter is heavy lifting...
Winter is heavy lifting.
I’m pretty good at cutting by focusing on my diet. Cut out bread, starches etc. Then fruit. I found cutting out all fruit and replacing it with vegetables really helps. At least for myself.
I’m 265 in this picture. My natural walking around weight is 205-215. I’m watching my diet like a hawk. Successful getting down to 180 and being healthy. Last year I got down to 160 but 6% body fat isn’t healthy for you to maintain. When my finger nails started splitting and losing toe nails.............I knew something was amiss.

OG725
5/20/2020 2:05pm
Thanks AJ! I’m reading every word and learning.
AJ565
5/20/2020 3:20pm
kongols wrote:
AJ, how come your zone5 starts from 179? How old are you?
I`m 44 and my zone5 starts at 159.
I'm 37. I put my Garmin on auto configure and thats where it ended up because its seen my HR at 199. All of the online calculators say my max for my age should be 183. I can tell you that I have seen 199 bpm while riding moto on really hot days and I normally average in the high 180's depending on the track I ride. Data from Sunday's moto shows an average of 171 and a high of 190 bpm, but it was only in the mid 80's

At the gym on the row machine I have a hard time getting it much past 175 when I push hard and 20 mins on the stairs I see high 120's- low 130's. If I really push on the mountain bike I can see low to mid 180's.
NvHermit
Fantasy
4326th
5/20/2020 3:27pm
OG725 wrote:

Chance1216 wrote:
. I went for strength and size over everything. Winter I’m usually 240-250 End of summer I’m down to 220- 218 typically. Winter is heavy lifting...
Winter is heavy lifting.
OG725 wrote:
I’m 265 in this picture. My natural walking around weight is 205-215. I’m watching my diet like a hawk. Successful getting down to 180 and being...
I’m 265 in this picture. My natural walking around weight is 205-215. I’m watching my diet like a hawk. Successful getting down to 180 and being healthy. Last year I got down to 160 but 6% body fat isn’t healthy for you to maintain. When my finger nails started splitting and losing toe nails.............I knew something was amiss.

You didn't know anything was amiss when you were wearing that shirt to pose for pictures ?
NvHermit
Fantasy
4326th
5/20/2020 3:30pm
OG725 wrote:
Bought a Fitbit Inspire HR. Not just for the HR, I’m kind of interested in seeing how I sleep.
Last winter I was snowbound and stranded for four months. One day I looked at my Fitbit and it had 295 steps for the day, I took it off and haven't worn it since.
OG725
5/20/2020 3:57pm
Chance1216 wrote:
Winter is heavy lifting.
OG725 wrote:
I’m 265 in this picture. My natural walking around weight is 205-215. I’m watching my diet like a hawk. Successful getting down to 180 and being...

NvHermit wrote:
You didn't know anything was amiss when you were wearing that shirt to pose for pictures ?
There’s actually a story behind that shirt and pic. Being a bodyguard at Daytona SX, was the story. Back when EIDave was getting threatened by baby arm RC16.

Post a reply to: Cardio Advice.

The Latest