Cannes and Barcelona Trip

Related:
Create New Tag

7/26/2017 9:39 AM

Taking my wife for our anniversary. Leaving September 1st. Have booked a few things including a boat trip to Monaco, some food tours and a Helicopter ride over Barcelona. Other than the Gaudi tours (Sagrada Familia etc.) the Rambla, avoiding the pickpockets/scams etc.

Does anyone who has been to either area have suggestions or advice on can't miss stuff other than the usual tourist stuff? Will be spending 9 nights in each place. We've been to Europe before but never Spain or the Riviera.

|

7/26/2017 9:45 AM

Get out of Cannes and go explore Antibes. The beaches are way better than Cannes and only 5-6 miles away (really easy bike ride). If you head to the southern tip they have some great little beach spots, a little rocky, but some of my favorite in the world to go hang out at. Also, hit up the market in old Antibes at night. Super relaxing area with a ton of good food and gelato.

When you're in Barcelona hit up 'Bar Brutal' and 'Cal Pep'. Out of everything we did there those two things stand out the most. Bar Brutal is a fun little spot with killer food, not too bad price wise, and just a great relaxed meal. Cal Pep is a bit more pricey (and usually has a bit of a wait) but the experience was amazing. No menu – just a chef working with you to get you a great meal.

|

7/26/2017 10:00 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/26/2017 9:27 PM

Tapas 24 and Nightlife/Beach Barcelona Olympic Port district smile

|

7/26/2017 10:00 AM

akillerwombat wrote:

Get out of Cannes and go explore Antibes. The beaches are way better than Cannes and only 5-6 miles away (really easy bike ride). If you head to the southern tip they have some great little beach spots, a little rocky, but some of my favorite in the world to go hang out at. Also, hit up the market in old Antibes at night. Super relaxing area with a ton of good food and gelato.

When you're in Barcelona hit up 'Bar Brutal' and 'Cal Pep'. Out of everything we did there those two things stand out the most. Bar Brutal is a fun little spot with killer food, not too bad price wise, and just a great relaxed meal. Cal Pep is a bit more pricey (and usually has a bit of a wait) but the experience was amazing. No menu – just a chef working with you to get you a great meal.

Thanks for the tips. Will definitely head up to Antibes by bike or scooter. Booked a "Food Sherpa" tour in Barcelona as well where a chef who has lived there for 30 years meets 8 of us at the market and picks out the ingredients for a feast. Walk the streets back to her place and munch olives and drink Cava on the terrace while she cooks up a meal. sounds like a good time. Staying in the Gothic Quarter in Barcelona so will google the bars you mentioned.

|

7/26/2017 10:30 AM

steed 2.0 wrote:

Tapas 24 and Nightlife/Beach Barcelona Olympic Port district smile

Googled this one as well as Brutal and Cal Pep. All within walking distance of our hotel. Will be checking them out!

|

7/26/2017 1:56 PM

We did a cruise that departed from Barcelona, we got in a couple days early to see the sights. The Gaudi church and Park Guell noted above are both worth the trip (really odd, but incredible).

Love the main streets in Barcelona with the pedestrian walkways down the center, and all the restaurants and bars lined on the sides. Great people watching, fun to explore. Freeking scooters everywhere. Those people are almost as crazy as the scooter suicide riders in Rome. They come within inches of the buses, going 40mph the opposite direction, and act like it's just normal to almost die 50 times a day (which makes sense, because for them it is just a normal daily commute).

Cannes we were just at for the day, we did a bus tour to a small town St. Paul which was about 30 minutes from what I recall. It is hill top and surrounded by a huge wall for protection back in the olden days (before 2 strokes). Pretty cool, not too crowded, and you got to see the French countryside. We also stopped at some perfume factory (my wife and 3 daughters out voted me). But it was actually pretty interesting to see the process. Never knew perfume was actually made from flowers, and the science behind it was amazing.

|

7/26/2017 3:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/26/2017 3:35 PM

We did Nice, Venice, Munich, and London last September for 20 nights.

From Nice we did a day trip to Eze, and Monaco. Also a day trip through Viator (get the app) for a day trip to French countryside from Nice. That included Cannes (boring), Gourdon and St Paul de Vincent.

Enjoy. We left a couple days not planned in each town for last-minute changes. Again, the Viator app is good for travel ideas and bookings

|

7/26/2017 3:37 PM

Photo

|

7/27/2017 6:48 AM

Thanks for the tips. Definitely been researching lots. We'll likely be doing a few day trips from Cannes to the surrounding areas, including Nice, Antibes, Monaco and a foray into Italy. The trains look pretty convenient. Certainly no shortage of things to do in Barcelona. We're looking forward to it.

|

7/27/2017 6:51 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/27/2017 6:52 AM

AZ35 wrote:

We did a cruise that departed from Barcelona, we got in a couple days early to see the sights. The Gaudi church and Park Guell noted above are both worth the trip (really odd, but incredible).

Love the main streets in Barcelona with the pedestrian walkways down the center, and all the restaurants and bars lined on the sides. Great people watching, fun to explore. Freeking scooters everywhere. Those people are almost as crazy as the scooter suicide riders in Rome. They come within inches of the buses, going 40mph the opposite direction, and act like it's just normal to almost die 50 times a day (which makes sense, because for them it is just a normal daily commute).

Cannes we were just at for the day, we did a bus tour to a small town St. Paul which was about 30 minutes from what I recall. It is hill top and surrounded by a huge wall for protection back in the olden days (before 2 strokes). Pretty cool, not too crowded, and you got to see the French countryside. We also stopped at some perfume factory (my wife and 3 daughters out voted me). But it was actually pretty interesting to see the process. Never knew perfume was actually made from flowers, and the science behind it was amazing.

The walled city sounds pretty cool. I was in Quebec City a few years ago. It's the only walled city (the old part) remaining in North America from what we were told. Even some old cannonballs embedded in some of the tree bases. It's been there over 400 years so some pretty cool history and a strong European vibe.

|

7/27/2017 9:53 AM

Foghorn wrote:

Thanks for the tips. Definitely been researching lots. We'll likely be doing a few day trips from Cannes to the surrounding areas, including Nice, Antibes, Monaco and a foray into Italy. The trains look pretty convenient. Certainly no shortage of things to do in Barcelona. We're looking forward to it.

I'm biased but I would recommend taking a train to Marseille to visit les calanques (like you said the trains are convenient).

There are plenty of ways to explore the place. You can rent a boat or sea kayaks, you can hike, snorkel, jump high cliffs etc...

Then you can end your day with a bouillabaisse Chez Fonfon or le Rhul.





Photo
|

7/27/2017 10:01 AM

Go to a Barcelona Futbol match. An old high school friend went, he said it's bad ass and he doesn't even like soccer. Just don't wear a Real Madrid jersey.


|

7/27/2017 11:35 AM

F.B wrote:

I'm biased but I would recommend taking a train to Marseille to visit les calanques (like you said the trains are convenient).

There are plenty of ways to explore the place. You can rent a boat or sea kayaks, you can hike, snorkel, jump high cliffs etc...

Then you can end your day with a bouillabaisse Chez Fonfon or le Rhul.





Photo

Was definitely considering Marseille area. Wow, some pretty awesome scenery. I used to tower dive and cliff dive back in my younger years. Looks like a lot of fun.

|

7/27/2017 11:38 AM

Dirty Britches wrote:

Go to a Barcelona Futbol match. An old high school friend went, he said it's bad ass and he doesn't even like soccer. Just don't wear a Real Madrid jersey.


Not much of a soccer fan but I hear what you're saying. Checked their schedule and looks like they're playing on September 17th while we're there. I'm sure I can convince the wife to go.....

|

7/28/2017 6:04 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/28/2017 6:06 AM

When you walk down the Rambla, take a left and go into the narrow streets and alleys of the Old Town, Raval and Gothic Quarter. It's full of pubs and restaurants. Pedestrian only area. Very cool area.
Really good is the chicken at the Los Caracoles chicken restaurant where they grill them outside on the street corner.

Photo

Photo

|

7/28/2017 6:54 AM


Photo

Photo

|

7/28/2017 6:55 AM

Dirty Britches wrote:

Go to a Barcelona Futbol match. An old high school friend went, he said it's bad ass and he doesn't even like soccer. Just don't wear a Real Madrid jersey.


Foghorn wrote:

Not much of a soccer fan but I hear what you're saying. Checked their schedule and looks like they're playing on September 17th while we're there. I'm sure I can convince the wife to go.....

The 17th looks to be an away game. They're playing at home on the 10th and 20th.

|

7/28/2017 8:55 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/28/2017 9:45 AM

steed 2.0 wrote:

Tapas 24 and Nightlife/Beach Barcelona Olympic Port district smile

Foghorn wrote:

Googled this one as well as Brutal and Cal Pep. All within walking distance of our hotel. Will be checking them out!

Most shops are closed on Sunday (has to do with the Catholic Church) Sagrada Familia district is very nice on Sundays many parks where the locals getting together with their families ... Avoid the city center on Saturday
not the best time of the week for sightseeing too crazy, weekdays everything is just fine...

Barcelona Beach or Sitges 20 miles from Barcelona (also known as little IBIZA) is the place to be for the weekends.

|

7/28/2017 9:47 AM

Dirty Britches wrote:

Go to a Barcelona Futbol match. An old high school friend went, he said it's bad ass and he doesn't even like soccer. Just don't wear a Real Madrid jersey.


Foghorn wrote:

Not much of a soccer fan but I hear what you're saying. Checked their schedule and looks like they're playing on September 17th while we're there. I'm sure I can convince the wife to go.....

Prntscrn wrote:

The 17th looks to be an away game. They're playing at home on the 10th and 20th.

You're right. I'm there from the evening of the 10th and leaving on the 19th, so looks like we'll be missing that.

|

7/28/2017 1:02 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/28/2017 1:18 PM

Foghorn wrote:

You're right. I'm there from the evening of the 10th and leaving on the 19th, so looks like we'll be missing that.

Keep an eye open though. Those dates aren't 100% set. Might change due to TV times, different cups etc. Even if you're not a soccer fan it should be pretty cool to see Camp nou(the stadium) and Leo Messi who probably will go down as the greatest of all time. And the experienced to actually have watched a soccer game in Europe, It's an awesome sport wink

|

8/17/2017 11:06 AM

I hope you and your family are ok foghorn .

Barcelona: Van rams crowds in Ramblas tourist area
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40965581

|

8/17/2017 1:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/17/2017 3:13 PM

lestat wrote:

I hope you and your family are ok foghorn .

Barcelona: Van rams crowds in Ramblas tourist area
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40965581

Never mind. Says sept, as mototrilogy pointed out.

|

8/17/2017 1:28 PM

I don't think the damage reached all the way to Canada. They won't be in Barcelona until Sept. 10th.

|

I can do anything, I'm an expert.
MotoTribology.com - Motorcycle Lubrication Education

8/17/2017 7:31 PM

Good grief , sorry I could have swore it was this month .

|

8/18/2017 3:30 AM

Foghorn wrote:

Thanks for the tips. Definitely been researching lots. We'll likely be doing a few day trips from Cannes to the surrounding areas, including Nice, Antibes, Monaco and a foray into Italy. The trains look pretty convenient. Certainly no shortage of things to do in Barcelona. We're looking forward to it.

Seeing as this thread has been re-born...

I can highly recommend the Gorges du Verdon which is just a short trip north west of Cannes.

|

Jeff Emigs Keys to the Race:
1. Get a good start
2. Don't crash

8/18/2017 1:43 PM

rpoint116 wrote: Photo

My wife kept asking me to take her to Socialist Europe for vacation. I kept telling her "nah, too much terrorism" besides, if the rude is going to depart the Home of the Brave, the destination would be -17.857481° / 177.201147°

P.S. Your avatar looks like a pic GuyB took about 10 years ago or so of JG over Mount Whitney.

|

8/18/2017 2:55 PM

jamma10 wrote:

Seeing as this thread has been re-born...

I can highly recommend the Gorges du Verdon which is just a short trip north west of Cannes.

The Gorges du Verdon was an amazing day trip. That drive combined with swimming in the river / lake was something I'll never forget.

|

8/18/2017 4:54 PM

rpoint116 wrote: Photo

rubarb wrote:

My wife kept asking me to take her to Socialist Europe for vacation. I kept telling her "nah, too much terrorism" besides, if the rude is going to depart the Home of the Brave, the destination would be -17.857481° / 177.201147°

P.S. Your avatar looks like a pic GuyB took about 10 years ago or so of JG over Mount Whitney.

You lost me on the lat/long.

Yes, that is a bad ass gibby pic. Grant whips it good

|

8/21/2017 8:25 AM

Foghorn wrote:

Thanks for the tips. Definitely been researching lots. We'll likely be doing a few day trips from Cannes to the surrounding areas, including Nice, Antibes, Monaco and a foray into Italy. The trains look pretty convenient. Certainly no shortage of things to do in Barcelona. We're looking forward to it.

jamma10 wrote:

Seeing as this thread has been re-born...

I can highly recommend the Gorges du Verdon which is just a short trip north west of Cannes.

Looks like a totally cool place!

|